PDA

View Full Version : Real Racing 3 Updated to Add Chevrolet Cars, New Events, and Cloud Save Functionality

MacRumors
Apr 11, 2013, 10:57 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/11/real-racing-3-updated-to-add-chevrolet-cars-new-events-and-cloud-save-functionality/)

Real Racing 3 (http://www.ea.com/real-racing-3-ios) received its first major update today, adding two new cars from Chevrolet, including the Cobalt SS and the Camaro ZL1. Players will also find 100 new events, along with a new event type called Hunter Chase.

In Hunter Chase, the idea is to chase down a target car and overtake it within a single lap. With the additional events, Real Racing 3 now offers players more than 1,000 total events.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/realracing3.jpg
Most importantly, this update brings Cloud Save functionality, allowing players the option to transfer save data between multiple devices, a feature that was noticeably missing at release. There are a few other minor additions to the game, like new social features, an improved tutorial, and performance optimizations.-New manufacturer - Chevrolet! The Cobalt SS and the Camaro ZL1 join the lineup
-New event type - Hunter! Chase down the hunted car and overtake within one lap
-100+ new events! Total number of events now exceeds 1,000!
-Cloud Save functionality! Transfer your save data between devices
-New social features! See who is online and compare how your friends are doing with the statistics leaderboard
-Check your TSM mailbox for the latest friend notifications
-Improved tutorial and main menu
-Numerous additional improvements, fixes, and performance optimizationsDespite a controversial (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/27/controversial-freemium-game-real-racing-3-hits-the-u-s-app-store/) release due to its freemium gameplay (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/13/real-racing-3-coming-february-28-with-freemium-gameplay/), Real Racing 3 has proven to be a popular title. It is still ranked as the number one racing game in the App Store and remains in the top 20 free games list.

Real Racing 3 (http://appshopper.com/games/real-racing-3) is currently available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/real-racing-3/id556164008?mt=8)]

Article Link: Real Racing 3 Updated to Add Chevrolet Cars, New Events, and Cloud Save Functionality (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/11/real-racing-3-updated-to-add-chevrolet-cars-new-events-and-cloud-save-functionality/)

Battlefield Fan
Apr 11, 2013, 11:03 AM
It's still owned by EA and I refuse to give them any money after SimCity.

Simplicated
Apr 11, 2013, 11:05 AM
I refuse to play this game because:
1. It is owned by EA.
2. Game is riddled with ridiculous in-app purchase options.

elpardo
Apr 11, 2013, 11:12 AM
I don't get how you can complain about the in app advertising. Apart from I don't find it's that intrusive. The game is free if I have to put up with a few adverts for a console quality game for free

dazzer21
Apr 11, 2013, 11:15 AM
I play it when I have the odd few minutes to spare. I'm still fairly low down the ranks but it's just the technical brilliance of the game that keeps me playing it - for a device like the iPad, it's killer! But I refuse to do the in-app purchase thing so as ling as I'm getting some enjoyment out of it and it's free, I'm good with it... As for the EA thing - Satan could have made it for all I care.

everything-i
Apr 11, 2013, 11:28 AM
After what they did to SimCity EA won't get another penny of my money.:mad:

unibility
Apr 11, 2013, 11:33 AM
Be careful if you choose to update. Those that have hacked the game and have $2+ billion dollars may lose the hacking feature cause of the update. Is a new car and a few little extras worth playing for hours just to buy a car that cost $350,000? It's not worth it. :D

ConCat
Apr 11, 2013, 11:35 AM
What? No Volt? :p

a3vr
Apr 11, 2013, 11:52 AM
How about a Real Racing 2 mode?

XboxMySocks
Apr 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
I don't get how you can complain about the in app advertising. Apart from I don't find it's that intrusive. The game is free if I have to put up with a few adverts for a console quality game for free

You appear to have missed the entire reason for complaining. They're not whining about apps. They're wining about ridiculous amounts of micro transactions in app for a "free" game.

Simmias
Apr 11, 2013, 12:06 PM
So is the "Cloud Save" functionality using iCloud or not?

I'm having trouble understanding why more game developers don't offer saving to iCloud. By all accounts, Key Value Storage in iCloud works fine, so I'm not sure why this hasn't become standard like Game Center integration. Games are usually large apps, so I would love to be able to delete them as needed to free up space without fear of losing my saved data.

Tinmania
Apr 11, 2013, 12:15 PM
How about a Real Racing 2 mode?

I would like that option too. It doesn't feel the same when it is not a true live--as in realtime--opponent.

Michael

cclloyd
Apr 11, 2013, 12:25 PM
Buy this new car for $.99*.

*Engine, shocks, wheels (sold per wheel), windows, body, paint, any other car parts sold separately.

WhiteIphone5
Apr 11, 2013, 12:25 PM

I'm having trouble understanding why more game developers don't offer saving to iCloud. By all accounts, Key Value Storage in iCloud works fine, so I'm not sure why this hasn't become standard like Game Center integration. Games are usually large apps, so I would love to be able to delete them as needed to free up space without fear of losing my saved data.

i believe not, as iCloud is owned by apple and they're using their own servers.

I'm guessing a developer has to have like a server to have cloud backups.
I may be wrong, so someone please correct me.

iDrinkKoolAid
Apr 11, 2013, 12:27 PM
Be careful if you choose to update. Those that have hacked the game and have $2+ billion dollars may lose the hacking feature cause of the update. Is a new car and a few little extras worth playing for hours just to buy a car that cost $350,000? It's not worth it. :D

after i learned about the hack above, i feel like such a fool grinding to buy my porsche 911 gt3 rs. can anyone confirm that the 1.1.0 update to real racing 3 disables the hack?

the8thark
Apr 11, 2013, 12:45 PM
More patch notes advertising?
It's hard to call this a rumour at all. Seriously this sites standards in article choice and writing are going down. Even the bad rumour articles are nice to read mostly. But this patch note advertising? Just disappointing really.

unibility
Apr 11, 2013, 01:01 PM
after i learned about the hack above, i feel like such a fool grinding to buy my porsche 911 gt3 rs. can anyone confirm that the 1.1.0 update to real racing 3 disables the hack?

If you want about 2,146,481,887 in coins $2,146,483,647 in R$ go to this link on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG-z4QqLrVY

file link: http://www.mediafire.com/?x5vsycuy5ipdrsw

His accent is a little strong but it works. Even though he says you need to jailbreak your phone, if you use iExplorer and drag and drop it works.

Good luck!!!

it may disable the feature as it has done so in the past with similar type games. i wouldn't try it if i were you.

yourtoys7
Apr 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
after reinstalling the game I have lost 2 x 19.99, and 1x 9.99, apple says contact the company, but I can find any way of contacting them :mad:, Apple took my money but when there is an issue, they send you somewhere else!!!!
It should be like repurchasing the apps.

it9997
Apr 11, 2013, 01:37 PM
No money, no nothing to them!

Mike MA
Apr 11, 2013, 01:44 PM
Get rid of the Freemium nonsense and I'm all in again (loved part two). Oh wait, still need my iPad 5 first :D

ImanIphone
Apr 11, 2013, 01:54 PM
I can't stand the freemium concept either, but I must say, I've logged a few hrs into this game and haven't spend one cent on it. If you have the patience to "service" you car and wait for your upgrades to get "installed" you will enjoy this. You basically play in small doses, so to speak, if you have the patience; and once you start getting more cars you can play for longer periods, if that's your thing. Highly recommend it as it's very addicting and the graphics are a thing of beauty.

sammich
Apr 11, 2013, 04:40 PM
This game is freemium.

But it totally doesn't make you pay for anything. That's your own choice.

Also, the game is crash galore atm.

iDrinkKoolAid
Apr 11, 2013, 04:59 PM
I can't stand the freemium concept either, but I must say, I've logged a few hrs into this game and haven't spend one cent on it. If you have the patience to "service" you car and wait for your upgrades to get "installed" you will enjoy this. You basically play in small doses, so to speak, if you have the patience; and once you start getting more cars you can play for longer periods, if that's your thing. Highly recommend it as it's very addicting and the graphics are a thing of beauty.

ditto that. the greed of electronic arts is puke-worthy. i made it a personal mission to not pay a penny to play real racing 3, yet now own thirteen cars including a mclaren mp4-12c and porsche 918 rsr concept (i signed up for a free lovefilm trial to receive 180 gold coins). the key for me has been to buy a few cars in each series so that while one car is getting serviced i have another to race with. if you get first place in the cup races with twenty-odd cars the prize money is quite substantial (i.e. more than 10,000 real-racing bucks). these types of winnings can be used to buy more cars.

Tinmania
Apr 11, 2013, 05:07 PM
ditto that. the greed of electronic arts is puke-worthy. i made it a personal mission to not pay a penny to play real racing 3, yet now own thirteen cars including a mclaren mp4-12c and porsche 918 rsr concept (i signed up for a free lovefilm trial to receive 180 gold coins). the key for me has been to buy a few cars in each series so that while one car is getting serviced i have another to race with. if you get first place in the cup races with twenty-odd cars the prize money is quite substantial (i.e. more than 10,000 real-racing bucks). these types of winnings can be used to buy more cars.
I'm doing similar. If you think of that as "part of the game" (well, it is) it just adds another level of challenge.

Michael

agenda893
Apr 11, 2013, 05:28 PM

I ran the update and still have all of my cars, money and gold coins. Nothing to worry about.

agenda893
Apr 11, 2013, 06:29 PM
I ran the update and still have all of my cars, money and gold coins. Nothing to worry about.

Also, I was able to save to the cloud and then restored to another device - everything worked fine, still have my money and cars.

haruhiko
Apr 11, 2013, 07:00 PM

My $2 billion is still there!

ikir
Apr 12, 2013, 01:40 AM
I refuse to play this game because:
1. It is owned by EA.
2. Game is riddled with ridiculous in-app purchase options.

I didn't pay anything but i play it often. I also was tempted by a "starter pack" with 2 cars at few euros. Not a big deal. I hate EA, i don't like fermium games... but this one is well made, technically advanced, funny and really you don't NEED to buy anything if you don't want to.

----------

after reinstalling the game I have lost 2 x 19.99, and 1x 9.99, apple says contact the company, but I can find any way of contacting them :mad:, Apple took my money but when there is an issue, they send you somewhere else!!!!
It should be like repurchasing the apps.

Use restore purchases.

Ddyracer
Apr 12, 2013, 04:06 AM
I really want to play this game now...

On my mac.

iDrinkKoolAid
Apr 12, 2013, 05:00 AM
I'm doing similar. If you think of that as "part of the game" (well, it is) it just adds another level of challenge.

Michael

grinding can be a chore, but i'm a better driver for it. both my timing for braking and cornering technique have improved. if you look past electronic arts' greed, real racing 3 has good depth to its gameplay.

----------

oh that's good to know. many thanks.

please excuse my ignorance, but i know very little about this free-money hack. i've read on a forum that you might have to start over, meaning your game progress isn't saved from before, every time you start the game. is this true?

maybe there are different versions of this hack. i own iExplorer, so applying the hack is no problem, but i want to make sure i don't get hosed. can anyone supply a link to a reliable version of the hack please?

Glassed Silver
Apr 12, 2013, 08:57 AM

This might be a consideration:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/03/frustrated-with-icloud-apples-developer-community-speaks-up-en-masse/

iCloud is utter junk. It's pretty horrible actually and Apple doesn't make its troubleshooting anything remotely easy beyond trial and error - neither for users nor for developers.

Knowing Apple and them giving me the finger on my request to integrate ZFS or another filesystem that at least offers data integrity control in OS X, they are not super worried about data integrity on their servers either.
Oh and their reason to not include ZFS was that it's not owned by Apple.
No sh** Sherlocks, I added the possibility of fixing HFS in my inquiry, but no... They don't even talk about that.
So... Apple doesn't seem keen to tackle bitrot or other storage worries in the near future and I took note.
I'll chalk that up as them being snobby hypocrites, because OS X is based on FreeBSD, something they don't own either.

So maybe they don't want to license it and well, if they don't fair enough, but fix the problem yourselves then!
No, rather they'll include fancy features that look pretty.
I miss the days on non-annual OS X releases, they focused a lot more on the technological polish back then.

OS X almost seems like it's becoming more of a companion to iPad and iPhone. pfft

Glassed Silver:mac

Dieu
Apr 12, 2013, 08:59 AM
You don't "get" it because you've never played the game. As Well, this is not an issue of advertising. It's EA's blatant abuse of Apple's customers. I made it to level 90 and finally deleted the game. The further you progress, the quicker the car wears down, the longer repairs take, the more expensive cars and parts become. Buying a car and having to wait three hours to use it is one example of dozens of coercive measures this game employs to exploit your credit card. Yes, this "free game" will cost you hundreds to play.

mrgreeneyes
Apr 12, 2013, 10:02 AM
how do i use the coins that i have? i have 16 coins.

thanks

pietrociao
Apr 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
I've been playing a lot without spending a cent. It's really good.

mslide
Apr 12, 2013, 11:56 AM
People are being way too dramatic about the whole freemium model. I own 7 cars and haven't spent a single (real) cent on anything. I also have never waited for an upgrade/service to finish or a car to be delivered. I simply switch to using a different car or I go do something else.

Honestly, I'm shocked people are giving EA any money for anything in this game. Unless you want to instantly jump to the pro cars, as soon as you download the game, you don't need to spend real money on anything. A new car takes 3 hours to deliver? So what? Go use a different car or buy it right before you go to bed.

It's a good game.

Save them up and use them to buy better cars. A few of the cars can only be purchased with gold. For example, the McLaren MP4-12C at 65 gold. Don't use the gold to speed up service/upgrade/delivery times. That's a waste.

Synchromesh
Apr 12, 2013, 01:28 PM
I've been playing for a while too and haven't paid a cent. But I must admit the part about loooong waits for more expensive cars is frustrating sometimes. Also, I wish one could make more money from certain events. Cups are great and all but some of them require a fully upgraded car and that's just plain expensive.

Also, the update screwed up some event names. Event types have disappeared in certain races and now I have to guess if I'm going in for a drag race or a full blown cup. I hope they fix it soon.

Last but not least - they added a freakin' Cobalt? Are they insane? They should've added the Corvette! And what happened to STi/Evo and tons of other cars more worthy than Cobalt? What's next, Dodge Caliber?

juanm
Apr 12, 2013, 01:42 PM
I've been playing for a while too and haven't paid a cent. But I must admit the part about loooong waits for more expensive cars is frustrating sometimes. Also, I wish one could make more money from certain events. Cups are great and all but some of them require a fully upgraded car and that's just plain expensive.

Also, the update screwed up some event names. Event types have disappeared in certain races and now I have to guess if I'm going in for a drag race or a full blown cup. I hope they fix it soon.

Last but not least - they added a freakin' Cobalt? Are they insane? They should've added the Corvette! And what happened to STi/Evo and tons of other cars more worthy than Cobalt? What's next, Dodge Caliber?

No need for jailbreaking/hacking. Go offline, and in settings, set time to "manual", and change the time forward as convenient. Go back into the game. Done. When done playing, put the time settings in automatic again.

SanJacinto
Apr 12, 2013, 02:00 PM
I hope that in a short period of time, there will be an OS X version of RR3.
What's your guess?

iDrinkKoolAid
Apr 12, 2013, 02:01 PM

thanks so much for the confirmation! i applied the "patch" from the link mentioned earlier, and can also vouch that it works. i used DiskAid, and made sure that the "Documents" folder in real racing 3 was backed up first (you never know). the only problem is that your race progress is zero, meaning you have to start from the very beginning. although i got 100% completion in the first race series, i guess that's a small price to pay for two billion real-racing bucks and gold coins!

happy camper - now i can just focus on improving my real-racing driving skills, but not on grinding to buy some tyres.

adnbek
Apr 12, 2013, 02:44 PM
I don't understand all the complaining. No one is forced to spend money and it's a real solid game.

And once you have multiple cars, waiting for a car to be serviced ain't that big of a deal. And since I'm not one to game for hours on end, I appreciate the forced breaks it gives you. :D

spb3
Apr 12, 2013, 03:37 PM
Can someone explain the hate to EA?

Bokito
Apr 12, 2013, 03:38 PM
I've completed 30% of all the races with a golden trophee so far without spending a single €/$ on it or using any hacks in less than <100 play hours. They game is great, but quite a bit crippled by EA's way of trying to earn. A lot of my friends who started the game quickly quit because of it.

Because they're pushing their 'freemium' model to get you to pay a whole lot more for your games than you did before. I've you want a premium experience for in this case Real Racing 3, you literally end up spending hundreds of dollars, instead of the $ 10 or so RR2 was retailing for on the App Store.

T'hain Esh Kelch
Apr 12, 2013, 03:43 PM

thanks
Save them for buying the expensive cars, that costs gold.
Google search (http://www.google.com/search?q=ea+hate)

I've completed 30% of all the races with a golden trophee so far without spending a single /$ on it or using any hacks in less than <100 play hours. They game is great, but quite a bit crippled by EA's way of trying to earn. A lot of my friends who started the game quickly quit because of it.
I played it a *lot* when I started, but only a few tracks here and there now. But that's more because I've played the same tracks again and again.

I think it is a great game, since I don't mind the waiting. I'm gold at around 25% of the tracks, and haven't payed a single $ to EA. Heck, I'm playing the game they gave me for free, so they actually loose money on me! Take that EA!

HardRain
Apr 12, 2013, 07:11 PM
Just when I thought EA couldn't sink any lower they prove me wrong. After the update I have found the winnings from races has decreased! Example: There was a race that if won would earn me R$ 9,700 that has now been decreased to R$ 8,700. Guess EA is trying to win worst company in the world again.

konicky
Apr 13, 2013, 04:44 AM
No need for jailbreaking/hacking. Go offline, and in settings, set time to "manual", and change the time forward as convenient. Go back into the game. Done. When done playing, put the time settings in automatic again.

I'm glad this still works after the update! Was a bit worried they might have found a way to stop it.

anvailas
Apr 13, 2013, 07:05 AM
I haven't updated RR3 yet and I want to ask you this:

With the last update, did they add new events in the existing tournaments or simply add some new tournaments only??

Thanks!

bilboa
Apr 13, 2013, 01:05 PM
You don't "get" it because you've never played the game. As Well, this is not an issue of advertising. It's EA's blatant abuse of Apple's customers. I made it to level 90 and finally deleted the game. The further you progress, the quicker the car wears down, the longer repairs take, the more expensive cars and parts become. Buying a car and having to wait three hours to use it is one example of dozens of coercive measures this game employs to exploit your credit card. Yes, this "free game" will cost you hundreds to play.

Exactly. I don't mind paying for games at all. I bought the last two Real Racing games and would gladly pay $10 for this one, to own the whole unrestricted game without the "service timer" nonsense. The problem with the Freemium model is it gives the game maker an incentive to make their game annoying. With a game that you pay for up front, the maker has every incentive to design the game to be as enjoyable as possible, so the game will get great reviews and sell well, and users will want to buy other games from the same company. With Freemium games, the maker instead has an incentive to make the game enjoyable enough that you can see the potential for it being great, but then purposefully design in irritating aspects, which can of course be gotten rid of by paying money. Even so, it would be fine if you could pay a one time fee to permanently remove the annoyances, but that's not how Freemium usually works; instead each payment only temporarily removes the annoyance, so it requires a never ending stream of payment to completely enjoy the game.

xdhd350
Apr 13, 2013, 09:54 PM
I have to laugh at all of you gotta have it now mentality types. Real life doesn't work that way. So maybe the 'real' part of Real Racing 3 is you gotta wait until you EARN the money from racing to improve your car or buy new ones.

When you take your REAL car in for service, how long does it take? Yeah, I thought so.

Get over it. The game rocks and I haven't spent a single cent, but then again, I have the patience to race other cars or do something else, like read Mac Rumors while I wait.

The said part about all the game hackers is that I bet they don't like to work for free, but they think game developers and other media creators should.

adnbek
Apr 14, 2013, 08:19 AM
As much as I don't like the freemium model in general, for this game I don't think it's much of a problem and I think EA felt they had no choice but to go this route. As these games become more and more sophisticated and reach console quality, cost of development goes up significantly and selling a game for 99c-3.99 would barely help break even. However, it's kind of hard charging 30-50 bucks a game on the App store. No one would buy it as they are used to paying between 99c to 5 bucks a game.

What they could do is offer an option to buy at regular price and this would reduce or eliminate wait times for those who hate 'em, while also cutting the prices of the cars as well to make them more affordable. But again, even if such an option existed, I doubt anyone would want to fork out 50 bucks on an iOS game. It's a perception issue and one that EA will have a hard time convincing folks to pay that much on a non-console game.

IMO, I have no problem with this game being free and haven't felt the need to spend money at all. I object to freemium when it's blatantly obvious that they want you spend money by making it a chore to play the game for free or getting a normal upgrade is unreasonably expensive with the in-game currency. RR3 I find is a lot better in this respect that MANY other freemium games out there. Unlike a lot of games, this game remains a joy to play even if you don't spend a single cent. The same can't be said for other freemium titles.

Two things I wish this update had though:

-Replay your last race like in RR2
-Support for airplay like in RR2

bilboa
Apr 14, 2013, 09:25 AM
I have to laugh at all of you gotta have it now mentality types. Real life doesn't work that way. So maybe the 'real' part of Real Racing 3 is you gotta wait until you EARN the money from racing to improve your car or buy new ones.

When you take your REAL car in for service, how long does it take? Yeah, I thought so.

Who wants games to be completely like real life? This arguments seems a bit like a rationalization. I do club racing in real life at a local track, and I'm a racing game fan, and have played some of the best, most realistic racing games and simulators on PC and consoles. Not one of them ever thought fit to build in wait times while your car is repaired. There's just no reason why most players would think it's fun to simulate this particular aspect of reality. It doesn't make any more sense than simulating bathroom breaks. I think it's clear to anyone who looks at this objectively, whether or not you have anything against RR3's freemium model, that the only reason this feature was added to RR3 is as a way to nag players to make in-app purchases.

Get over it. The game rocks and I haven't spent a single cent, but then again, I have the patience to race other cars or do something else, like read Mac Rumors while I wait.

The said part about all the game hackers is that I bet they don't like to work for free, but they think game developers and other media creators should.

I agree that the racing in this game is great, definitely the best on iOS so far. I also agree with you in finding it annoying to see how many people seem to feel entitled to get the game for free. However I think the Freemium pay model has caused the makers to make the game a bit more annoying than other racing games, including previous RR versions. That's my main objection, not the fact that they charge at all.

I'm obsessive enough about learning tracks well that I tend to want repeat a race until I can get first. A side effect of that is that I naturally end up earning enough gold and money that I don't have to wait often anyway, and if I do run out of gold I don't mind paying some real money to avoid waiting.

The real problem I have is that they've removed features and options that every other race simulator I've used has, clearly just to support their pay model. For example any other race simulator I've used which simulates damage, also gives you the option of turning off damage, at least when you're playing in offline mode. Players who only want hard-core realistic simulation don't ever have to turn off damage, and players who sometimes would like to practice without damage simulation can turn it off when they want. There's really no downside to offering the option of turning off damage... unless the game's pay model is based on charging players for virtual repairs.

Another example: If I interrupt and restart a race, say because I got interrupted and made a big mistake, whatever damage has happened so far still counts even though I'm restarting. No other racing game I've played, even the most realistic PC simulator, works this way. This is another feature whose purpose is clearly to steer you toward buying gold coins rather than making the game fun.

Other features (or missing features) that I suspect are motivated by the pay model:

No hot lapping
No custom quick races that don't affect career mode.

So that's my basic problem with freemium as opposed to pay-up-front -- it changes the incentive of the game maker. With a pay-up-front model, the game maker is motivated to try to find the best balance between being challenging and fun to make the game as enjoyable as possible. With a freemium model like RR3's, the incentive is instead to design the game to nudge players into making lots of little payments. Of course they still have to make the game enjoyable, but it is a different balance, and I don't like the results so far. I really hope the Freemium model doesn't catch on too much.

macalec
Apr 14, 2013, 11:32 AM
I am really not a fan of Real racing 3. I don't like the free model. I would rather pay 4.99 for something with no ads vs free with ads.

:apple:

TheMacBookPro
Apr 14, 2013, 10:54 PM

Are you saying that, if I bring in my car for a clutch replacement, the repair can be finished immediately if I give the mechanic some 'gold'? Do I need a special currency ('gold') in order to buy some vehicles? Does a set of new tires for a real Lamborghini only cost $1200? Does a damaged taillight on a BMW only cost $40 to repair and new mirrors only $25?

Please. It's a video game. To say 'they put the waiting time there in order to make it more realistic' is completely ridiculous.

iLog.Genius
Apr 15, 2013, 12:51 AM
Does a damaged taillight on a BMW only cost $40 to repair and new mirrors only $25?

Shoot, if only the taillights and mirrors really did cost $40 and $25 to repair or replace on my BMW :(

TheMacBookPro
Apr 15, 2013, 04:32 AM
Shoot, if only the taillights and mirrors really did cost $40 and $25 to repair or replace on my BMW :(

You wish! I wanted to replace my Panamera's mirrors with the Euro-spec aspherical type- was quoted $575 :(

But hey, at least I don't have to pay 'gold' to get them installed! :p

juannacho
Apr 15, 2013, 05:17 AM
Any word on how it handles merging two devices saves? I've played a fair bit on my phone and then I played on the iPad even though I had to start from scratch as I just liked playing 'big screen'.

So if I update both, will it add up all my funds and cars, or use one of the versions as its 'base' version & make them both the saem that way?

adnbek
Apr 15, 2013, 06:33 AM
Any word on how it handles merging two devices saves? I've played a fair bit on my phone and then I played on the iPad even though I had to start from scratch as I just liked playing 'big screen'.

So if I update both, will it add up all my funds and cars, or use one of the versions as its 'base' version & make them both the saem that way?

It won't merge I believe. You'll have to pick which one you wish to save.

xdhd350
Apr 15, 2013, 09:32 AM
Are you saying that, if I bring in my car for a clutch replacement, the repair can be finished immediately if I give the mechanic some 'gold'? Do I need a special currency ('gold') in order to buy some vehicles? Does a set of new tires for a real Lamborghini only cost $1200? Does a damaged taillight on a BMW only cost $40 to repair and new mirrors only $25?

Please. It's a video game. To say 'they put the waiting time there in order to make it more realistic' is completely ridiculous.

No, not saying that. For the most part, I was saying that in real life, you have to wait for things to get done. You have to earn enough to buy what you need or want. And in some cases, if you have extra money to throw around, you can get stuff done faster via bribery.

They originally put waiting tines on the damage repairs but decided later to make those things immediate.

Trust me, I get the freemium business model and I see things happen in the game that I know are meant to get me couching up real cash. I just feel that many of the complaints are over done and that if you have patience, there is a lot of enjoyment to be had from RR3 without spending a single penny on it.They are in business to make money and if nobody pays, there won't be in business for long and certainly won't be able to put out software of this caliber. In that thought, I'm inclined to give EA a few dollars in return for the enjoyment I get from their game.

xdhd350
Apr 15, 2013, 09:57 AM
Who wants games to be completely like real life? This arguments seems a bit like a rationalization. I do club racing in real life at a local track, and I'm a racing game fan, and have played some of the best, most realistic racing games and simulators on PC and consoles. Not one of them ever thought fit to build in wait times while your car is repaired. There's just no reason why most players would think it's fun to simulate this particular aspect of reality. It doesn't make any more sense than simulating bathroom breaks. I think it's clear to anyone who looks at this objectively, whether or not you have anything against RR3's freemium model, that the only reason this feature was added to RR3 is as a way to nag players to make in-app purchases.

I agree that the racing in this game is great, definitely the best on iOS so far. I also agree with you in finding it annoying to see how many people seem to feel entitled to get the game for free. However I think the Freemium pay model has caused the makers to make the game a bit more annoying than other racing games, including previous RR versions. That's my main objection, not the fact that they charge at all.

I'm obsessive enough about learning tracks well that I tend to want repeat a race until I can get first. A side effect of that is that I naturally end up earning enough gold and money that I don't have to wait often anyway, and if I do run out of gold I don't mind paying some real money to avoid waiting.

The real problem I have is that they've removed features and options that every other race simulator I've used has, clearly just to support their pay model. For example any other race simulator I've used which simulates damage, also gives you the option of turning off damage, at least when you're playing in offline mode. Players who only want hard-core realistic simulation don't ever have to turn off damage, and players who sometimes would like to practice without damage simulation can turn it off when they want. There's really no downside to offering the option of turning off damage... unless the game's pay model is based on charging players for virtual repairs.

Another example: If I interrupt and restart a race, say because I got interrupted and made a big mistake, whatever damage has happened so far still counts even though I'm restarting. No other racing game I've played, even the most realistic PC simulator, works this way. This is another feature whose purpose is clearly to steer you toward buying gold coins rather than making the game fun.

Other features (or missing features) that I suspect are motivated by the pay model:

No hot lapping
No custom quick races that don't affect career mode.

So that's my basic problem with freemium as opposed to pay-up-front -- it changes the incentive of the game maker. With a pay-up-front model, the game maker is motivated to try to find the best balance between being challenging and fun to make the game as enjoyable as possible. With a freemium model like RR3's, the incentive is instead to design the game to nudge players into making lots of little payments. Of course they still have to make the game enjoyable, but it is a different balance, and I don't like the results so far. I really hope the Freemium model doesn't catch on too much.

Thanks for making a well thought out reply. You made some very valid points and I see things in the game that are obviously meant to create damage so you'll pay more in game currency, such as cars waiting until you're along side and then the bots try to bang your car to mess it up. Sometimes the cup races feel more like a demolition derby than anything else.

The only thing I'll say about the freemium model is that it allows you to play without locking you into a purchase you may regret if the game or app turns out to be overpriced junk. I've had that happen too and this model at least lets me decide how much the game is worth, though I have done quite a bit so far without spending any money. I don't think it will be realistically possible to get into the really high end cars without forking over some real cash. So, at this point, I really can't feel ripped off because I haven't had to pay real money to enjoy the game.

Frankly, I prefer this method over cripple ware or ad ware. The few ads that did show up allowed me to watch a short video IF I chose to in order to get a few gold pieces for my time.

I had RR HD and found it to be unplayable for the most part, but I did like the ability to run practice laps which doesn't appear in RR3.

bilboa
Apr 15, 2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks for making a well thought out reply. You made some very valid points and I see things in the game that are obviously meant to create damage so you'll pay more in game currency, such as cars waiting until you're along side and then the bots try to bang your car to mess it up. Sometimes the cup races feel more like a demolition derby than anything else.

The only thing I'll say about the freemium model is that it allows you to play without locking you into a purchase you may regret if the game or app turns out to be overpriced junk. I've had that happen too and this model at least lets me decide how much the game is worth, though I have done quite a bit so far without spending any money. I don't think it will be realistically possible to get into the really high end cars without forking over some real cash. So, at this point, I really can't feel ripped off because I haven't had to pay real money to enjoy the game.

Frankly, I prefer this method over cripple ware or ad ware. The few ads that did show up allowed me to watch a short video IF I chose to in order to get a few gold pieces for my time.

I hear you about getting to try a game before buying, though that can be solved in other ways than the freemium model. Offer a free demo for example. Or even offer exactly what the current game offers, but with an additional in-app purchase option for $15 or $20 to permanently remove the repair timer feature and unlock any other features that they might choose to withhold. They can still leave the current freemium model in place for those who would rather not pay any large amount up front. However if a lot of people end up buying the gold coin packages, it may be the case that the freemium model makes EA more money than what I'm wishing for, in which case they're obviously going to stick with what they're doing.

Ultimately it's not a huge deal to me. The racing itself is awesome, better than I would have thought possible on a tablet. And I'm not likely to spend huge amounts of time in the game anyway, since at home if I want my virtual racing fix I would rather get out my Fanatec wheel and pedals and play Forza 4 or F1 2011 or Race 07. I'm just more generally worried that Freemium might start creeping into other games, so that every game I want to play starts being designed to try to "nickel and dime" me instead of just trying to be fun. I'd be especially bummed if freemium moves beyond mobile games and into console or PC games.

I had RR HD and found it to be unplayable for the most part, but I did like the ability to run practice laps which doesn't appear in RR3.

I agree, RR1 HD was pretty cartoony. RR2 HD was pretty great though, for a tablet racing game. RR3 definitely ups the game significantly as far as graphics and physics simulation, and having real tracks is awesome. However it also removes nice features and adds in annoyances that weren't in RR2, and as far as I can tell, all of the negative changes are motivated by the new pay model as opposed to trying to make the game more fun. Another poster earlier in this thread made a good point though, that this game is approaching console quality, and must have cost a lot to make, including licensing costs for using real tracks and cars. However iOS users are accustomed to paying $10 or less for games, so maybe this is the only way a high quality game like this can hope to make enough money on a mobile platform. It's amazing how many reviews you see in the app store complaining bitterly about having spent $2 on a game that wasn't quite as cool or as long as they hoped. People's idea of what games should cost have been completely recalibrated for mobile platforms.

TheMacBookPro
Apr 15, 2013, 02:17 PM
No, not saying that. For the most part, I was saying that in real life, you have to wait for things to get done. You have to earn enough to buy what you need or want. And in some cases, if you have extra money to throw around, you can get stuff done faster via bribery.

They originally put waiting tines on the damage repairs but decided later to make those things immediate.

Earning money to buy what you want was an integral part of Real Racing and Real Racing 2 as well and I don't recall anyone complaining about that.

Bribery or not, there's simply no way for a car to be completely overhauled immediately even if you threw big bucks at the mechanic. It's not extreme realism, it's simply another way to make users cough up (real) money.

Trust me, I get the freemium business model and I see things happen in the game that I know are meant to get me couching up real cash. I just feel that many of the complaints are over done and that if you have patience, there is a lot of enjoyment to be had from RR3 without spending a single penny on it.They are in business to make money and if nobody pays, there won't be in business for long and certainly won't be able to put out software of this caliber. In that thought, I'm inclined to give EA a few dollars in return for the enjoyment I get from their game.

Look at the user comments and reviews of RR3- people are willing to pay. Just not in the form of never-ending in-app purchases. Plenty of people bought Real Racing and RR2 for 10 bucks. I did too- but I refuse to pay for the silly in-app purchases in RR3 because it is an obvious cash grab.

Money to buy car A, but you need gold to buy car B. More gold if you want to use the car you just bought immediately. Money to fix car, gold to make it faster. Even more gold to get the parts installed immediately. And it never ends, which is the issue with RR3. People want to pay one price and just enjoy the game.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind car packs coming in DLC, as long as I only have to pay once for it (or twice- real $ to unlock, in-game $ to 'buy'). Going by the RR3 model though I'd have to pay for the car pack, pay for the car in several different types of currency which is earned in various ways then pay even more just to get the car delivered.

xdhd350
Apr 15, 2013, 11:18 PM
Earning money to buy what you want was an integral part of Real Racing and Real Racing 2 as well and I don't recall anyone complaining about that.

Bribery or not, there's simply no way for a car to be completely overhauled immediately even if you threw big bucks at the mechanic. It's not extreme realism, it's simply another way to make users cough up (real) money.

Look at the user comments and reviews of RR3- people are willing to pay. Just not in the form of never-ending in-app purchases. Plenty of people bought Real Racing and RR2 for 10 bucks. I did too- but I refuse to pay for the silly in-app purchases in RR3 because it is an obvious cash grab.

Money to buy car A, but you need gold to buy car B. More gold if you want to use the car you just bought immediately. Money to fix car, gold to make it faster. Even more gold to get the parts installed immediately. And it never ends, which is the issue with RR3. People want to pay one price and just enjoy the game.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind car packs coming in DLC, as long as I only have to pay once for it (or twice- real $ to unlock, in-game $ to 'buy'). Going by the RR3 model though I'd have to pay for the car pack, pay for the car in several different types of currency which is earned in various ways then pay even more just to get the car delivered.

I hear you. I play Dead Trigger and it's also freemium. I was really pissed when they tossed out an update and didn't mention that a particular item I was paying for with in game cash, suddenly cost me gold. I lost about 30 gold before I realized because I would restock the item out of habit, 'knowing' that I had plenty of cash on hand to pay for it. Grrrrrrr:mad:

I can say that RR3 seems to be more generous with cash and gold than other freemium games I've played.

The update has introduced a few bugs though. Otherwise, I'm still blown away by what they have accomplished with my lowly 32gb iPad2. The quality draws you in during the race and really gets the adrenaline going, which is what it should do, no matter what it costs.