PDA

View Full Version : Longtime Mac Developer Ambrosia Software Cuts Staff, Still Open for Business

MacRumors
Apr 11, 2013, 11:21 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/11/longtime-mac-developer-ambrosia-software-cuts-staff-still-open-for-business/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/ambrosiasw-1.jpgLast night, a number (https://twitter.com/recordtronic/status/322144181399212032) of (https://twitter.com/jeromejtk/status/322050969204584448) employees (https://twitter.com/rudyrichter/status/322102894822318080) of longtime Mac developer Ambrosia Software (http://www.ambrosiasw.com) tweeted that they had been let go from their jobs and that the company was shutting down.

However, today The Mac Observer spoke with Ambrosia president Andrew Welch (http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ambrosia-still-alive-kicking) who said the company is not shutting down but employees had been let go.
Mr. Welch didn't say if Ambrosia is scaling back on its app lineup, but his confirmation that the company isn't shutting down is good news for the people that rely on its products. Snapz Pro X (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/) and WireTap Studio (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/), for example, are critical tools for many writers, bloggers, and podcasters, and losing those would mean some serious redesigning of workflows.Ambrosia has a long line of games and utilities that it has developed and distributed over the years, including Deimos Rising (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/dr/) which came preinstalled on a number of Macs ten years ago, and the Asteroids-style shooter Maelstrom (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/maelstrom/) that put the company on the map in 1993.

Article Link: Longtime Mac Developer Ambrosia Software Cuts Staff, Still Open for Business (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/11/longtime-mac-developer-ambrosia-software-cuts-staff-still-open-for-business/)

Kissaragi
Apr 11, 2013, 11:28 AM
Guess thats any hope of an iPad EV game out the window now.

Parystec
Apr 11, 2013, 11:34 AM
This is what happens when we race to to bottom on software pricing and everyone else thinks software is free.:(

Apr 11, 2013, 11:35 AM

If true, this is really a pity - Ambrosia takes me back to the 90s, where TRULY HONEST Mac gaming development took place (not just crappy Cider wraps and the like), with jewels like Maelstrom and Escape Velocity.

The EV series was one of the best ever in terms of space strategy games, and I would love to have it on the iPad - heck, the other day I almost bought EV Nova, which still runs fine on OS X..!

Good luck to them..!

Number 41
Apr 11, 2013, 11:36 AM

Escape Velocity was the first game I actually paid shareware fees to own.

That and the old World Builder games (Another Fine Mess, A Mess O' Trouble) were pretty much all that kept me going since it usually took months for new Mac games to come out back in the day.

freelancing
Apr 11, 2013, 11:40 AM
I'm not surprised. This is what happens when you act like you're the only game in town. They were IT for what their offerings were for a long time... but now there are a LOT of screen capture apps. SnapZPro had a bug w/ a version of OSX for a very long time and it went un-workable for months before they had a fix. Sorry - when I have a project due that requires a working app, I'm going to find a working competing app, and I did. No sense in paying for an upgrade to software in the future when they can sit on this OSX compatibility issue for months without getting a fix for it, when I can get a cheaper, competing app that works. You can make up in volume what you make up in price if your product is really good. When it's buggy w/ a new OS release and causes kernel panics every time you try to save a movie, people are going to stop trusting your product.

GimmeSlack12
Apr 11, 2013, 11:42 AM
I also have a special place in my heart for Ambrosia SW. I cannot count how many games of Maelstrom I have played (and still do) in high school, not to mention the countless hours in Escape Velocity.

On top of their games they also had a significant number of Mac utilities that were always a quality product.

Ambrosia is a remnant of the Pre-OS X days.

ConCat
Apr 11, 2013, 11:48 AM
I also have a special place in my heart for Ambrosia SW. I cannot count how many games of Maelstrom I have played (and still do) in high school, not to mention the countless hours in Escape Velocity.

On top of their games they also had a significant number of Mac utilities that were always a quality product.

Ambrosia is a remnant of the Pre-OS X days.

Amen. I wish they'd get back into gaming... They haven't released any serious games in years. I occasionally start up Sheepshaver just to run Cythera and the like. :p

imgonephishin
Apr 11, 2013, 11:48 AM
Man. Looking through their older games was a trip down memory lane. Escape Velocity, Bubble Trouble, Mars Rising and Deimos Rising. I spent a lot of time and money playing these when I was young. I'm sorry to see them scaling back, but I guess that's the reality of the marketplace right now: everything is either $100 million blockbusters (CoD, BF3, Assassin's Creed, etc.) or cheap-ass fremium games.

ConCat
Apr 11, 2013, 11:52 AM
Man. Looking through their older games was a trip down memory lane. Escape Velocity, Bubble Trouble, Mars Rising and Deimos Rising. I spent a lot of time and money playing these when I was young. I'm sorry to see them scaling back, but I guess that's the reality of the marketplace right now: everything is either $100 million blockbusters (CoD, BF3, Assassin's Creed, etc.) or cheap-ass fremium games.

Their main market hasn't been games for a very long time... Sure there's Mondo Solitaire, but lets be serious. :p

GimmeSlack12
Apr 11, 2013, 11:54 AM

Based on their arcade game genre you'd think Ambrosia would be an shoe-in success for iOS gaming.

Yujenisis
Apr 11, 2013, 11:57 AM
Based on their arcade game genre you'd think Ambrosia would be an shoe-in success for iOS gaming.

Agreed. They had a huge advantage having such extensive experience working with the Mac. As someone who owned most of their Mac games over the years, I never bought one of their super-casual iOS games.

I had always hoped Escape Velocity would make the jump to iOS...I know I'd at least put in $25 for a EV: iOS Kickstarter.

kainjow
Apr 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
I've been a long time user of Snapz Pro. Also used to love Apeiron and Maelstrom back in the day.

RIP.

kaltsasa
Apr 11, 2013, 12:23 PM
I cut my proverbial teeth on Ambrosia, I remember getting EV on one of the first Mac Addict disks as a kid. Played that for hours and hours. Hell then in college EV:Nova was responsible many a sleepless night. I've also been a long time user of Snapz.

Companies like Ambrosia and Spiderweb hold a special place in my little Mac heart. I'd always hoped Ambrosia would get back into games development and toss out an EV 4 at some point, guess that will never happen now.

Kissaragi
Apr 11, 2013, 12:29 PM
Its a real shame, they just seem to have given up in the last few years. When you look at the recent releases on the site theres just not much there

mrxak
Apr 11, 2013, 12:34 PM
It's a sad day, but the company doesn't seem like it's going anywhere, at least not yet. Who knows if they'll keep making new apps or simply only support the ones they've already got out. I hope we hear more from Andrew Welch in the coming days.

As for why this happened, so much of their business (historically) was in publishing. With stuff like the App Store, they faced some pretty steep competition, and I think a lot of third party developers no longer needed Ambrosia's support for delivering games and handling payments. Instead in recent years they've been focused on in-house development, specifically utilities, and while they're widely used they're not particularly sexy. Enthusiasm for the company has been waning, compared to the days of all those great games people keep mentioning. In the good old days, a new piece of software could be announced and they'd be guaranteed to have a lot of interest from the community built around their games. Lately, they've been having to compete on a more equal level against hundreds of other developers, just to get the word out.

They seem to be a casualty of the success of Apple's App Store, or the Mac as a whole. They used to be one of the biggest Mac software companies around, but now they're just one out of so many others.

MacsRgr8
Apr 11, 2013, 12:49 PM
This is so sad :(

Countless time I've played Maelstrom on the Mac. My dad bought an LC 4/40 with 12" colour display, and Maelstrom was so cool on that!

All those funny quotes in that game!
- "Time's a wasting speedy"
- "Ooh, you're one of the good guys"
- ELVIS
.. so much more...

Why didn't they pick up the ball with OS X? Why not a nice 3D version Maelstrom?
There's so little in the MacAppStore from them.

swarmster
Apr 11, 2013, 01:07 PM
I'm sorry to see them scaling back, but I guess that's the reality of the marketplace right now: everything is either $100 million blockbusters (CoD, BF3, Assassin's Creed, etc.) or cheap-ass fremium games.

A lot of people like to say that about the current marketplace, but it isn't really true, especially on Mac/PC. There are tons of games like Minecraft, FTL, Torchlight, TrackMania, Serious Sam, etc that make lots of money either independently or through Steam selling for $10-25. You really think a new Escape Velocity with Steam Workshop support wouldn't sell like hotcakes at a moderate price? People would go nuts.

You'd think the rise of Steam and the Mac App Store, making it easier to pay for their games, would be a boon if anything. It seems more like poor management (or lack of internal interest?).

petsounds
Apr 11, 2013, 01:13 PM
Seems to me that they have just kinda stopped innovating. Their product lineup is about the same as it was a few years ago. It's a shame all their games are now puzzle games; they made some great action and strategy games (Maelstrom, Escape Velocity) in the 90's. I'd hate to see a software company with such a great Macintosh heritage go under.

Apr 11, 2013, 01:14 PM
A lot of people like to say that about the current marketplace, but it isn't really true, especially on Mac/PC. There are tons of games like Minecraft, FTL, Torchlight, TrackMania, Serious Sam, etc that make lots of money either independently or through Steam selling for $10-25. You really think a new Escape Velocity with Steam Workshop support wouldn't sell like hotcakes at a moderate price? People would go nuts.

You'd think the rise of Steam and the Mac App Store, making it easier to pay for their games, would be a boon if anything. It seems more like poor management (or lack of internal interest?).

I have to agree with you there - EV Nova ALONE would make tons of money on the MAS and iOS, just like Spiderweb's excellent RPGs. Just make it cost LESS than 30 bucks, which seems a bit steep nowadays.

The Man
Apr 11, 2013, 01:32 PM
If only they had put in the time to develop their old games for the iPad... But now it's almost too late.

I mean, Bubble Trouble for iPad, would have been a hit. So much fun for kids. Apeiron could be bundled with Swoop and Maelstrom as a shooter pack -- wow Swoop had great music. Escape Velocity was so much fun.

Yes, remaking those for iPad costs a lot of time and money. Success is not guaranteed. But if they were one of the first, they could have made good name.

I mean, Pangeasoft remade all their titles for iOS.

bakerzdosen
Apr 11, 2013, 01:34 PM
Personally, I really like Wiretap Studio... it came included with one of the MacHeist bundles I bought, so when I needed something that could do what it does, I was surprised to find that I already owned it.

I was also surprised to find out how good it is. I don't know if it's worth paying full price if you're going to use it once or twice, but if you mess with audio at all, it's a great tool.

Kinda overkill for my current use of it though (creating ringtones from songs I own.)

coder12
Apr 11, 2013, 01:43 PM
I still love playing SketchPad Fighter! I gladly support Ambrosia.

phillipduran
Apr 11, 2013, 02:42 PM
Ambrosia Software. They were the yardstick by which I measured all other software for the Mac.

Escape Velocity is one of those games that has the stuff. I spent many hours playing that one after school.

T'hain Esh Kelch
Apr 11, 2013, 03:08 PM
Better get that EV serial I've been thinking about for so many years...!

milo
Apr 11, 2013, 03:45 PM
I don't know why they never ported Aperion to iOS, I would have been happy to pay for that (even after buying the old pre OSX version) and I'm sure it would have sold well.

They had some great stuff but it seems like it was mostly years ago and I just haven't heard much from them lately. Shame, but if they weren't releasing much, it's hard to blame outside influences.

This. Seems like the iOS explosion was the perfect opportunity for them to finally make it big, and they just didn't do much of anything.

celavato
Apr 11, 2013, 04:14 PM
This is what happens when we race to to bottom on software pricing and everyone else thinks software is free.:(

I'm not sure that explains the situation here. The company seems to have project management issues. For example, it never rewrote Snapz Pro so that it could sell it in the Mac App Store. I switched to Snagit when I bought a new Mac. I also bought Piezo from its competitor Amoeba in the Mac App Store, which works fine for my occasional sound recording needs (3-4 times per year).

Bregalad
Apr 11, 2013, 04:23 PM
I started with Maelstrom and it was really well done, but I wasn't a big fan of Asteroids.
Chiral was a really interesting concept I played for a while.
Aperion was the one that caused my grades to suffer at school. Although I loved that hookah smoking pentipede seeing him meant it was time to go back to studying.
Swoop was a time sucking black hole that similarly caused my grades to suffer.
Barrack was OK, but didn't hook me.
Escape Velocity didn't fit my need for quick distractions so I never played it.
Avara wasn't my thing either.
BubbleTrouble was cute, but I couldn't get into it.
Harry the Handsome Executive was a big let down.
That pretty much marked the end of my relationship with Ambrosia. I did try Aperion X, but it wasn't quite the same game I remembered and I wasn't the same person.

In all those years I think I only paid for one game. I apologize to all the people, past and present, at Ambrosia for enjoying their work for free. Today I can afford to buy games, but don't have the time to play them.

ConCat
Apr 11, 2013, 07:01 PM

The key is that no matter how many games you buy, you could still buy more. Very few games are completely identical with one another, and certainly games like EV Nova don't exist... It would sell. Only us old Mac users really know about Ambrosia's games. If they reintroduced them (or remade them) I'm certain they would make bank. I somewhat doubt it'll happen after all these years though.

I'm just waiting for them to be bought out. Blizzard could work wonders with the EV Nova plot. Just imagining it makes me giddy. :p

mrxak
Apr 11, 2013, 08:31 PM
Seems to me that they have just kinda stopped innovating. Their product lineup is about the same as it was a few years ago. It's a shame all their games are now puzzle games; they made some great action and strategy games (Maelstrom, Escape Velocity) in the 90's. I'd hate to see a software company with such a great Macintosh heritage go under.

Most of those games were actually developed by third-parties, and merely published and distributed by Ambrosia with their shareware code and sometimes internal libraries or help with porting from Windows. Escape Velocity Nova, for example, was the work of Matt Burch and ATMOS Software. Another high-profile example would be Introversion Software using Ambrosia to publish a lot of their ported games on the Mac. Nowadays, digital distribution is fairly easy through the Mac App Store or Steam, so 3rd party developers have a lot more options. 10 years ago if I was an indie developer looking to publish a game on the Mac, Ambrosia would be at the top of my list. Nowadays, I'd probably go completely solo with my own website or use the App Store, and do 100% of my own marketing. The in-house developers being let go now mostly worked on Ambrosia's utility programs.

I'm just waiting for them to be bought out. Blizzard could work wonders with the EV Nova plot. Just imagining it makes me giddy. :p

Oh geez, that would be awful. I seriously doubt it would happen anyway. I'd rather see a lot of their old games go open source if they were to shut down for good (which isn't happening yet). Notably the Ares developer released his code a couple years back, resulting in not one but two successful fan projects to port Ares to OS X.

phoenixsan
Apr 11, 2013, 10:57 PM
a miss and I will be sad if Ambrosia get out of bussiness. Back in the time, I was fond of an array of games made by Ambrosia: Barrack, Escape Velocity, Apeiron....and dont forget Snapz Pro....

Really sad news indeed.

:):apple:

sillypooh
Apr 12, 2013, 03:22 AM
Sad but expected. I love Embrosia Soft. But frankly they missed the train when it comes to iOS. All their games are fantastic but why did none of them appear on iOS? How hard is it to port a game? You have the sprites, the sounds, the engine, just do it people! EV, Bubble Trouble, Apeiron, Harry, ... The list goes on! Not long ago I noticed a EV clone on iOS. It got game of the week!!! Looks almost shot for shot identical!

My take on this? They must have gotten scared of the pricing on iOS. Typically, Ambrosia games used to sell for $30 a pop on desktop. No one can charge that amount on iOS, although the volume is much larger.

Sad day.

Manderby
Apr 12, 2013, 09:49 AM
Ah, Apeiron. Those were the days when mushrooms used to burp.

Made me laugh everytime. :)

MikBe
Apr 12, 2013, 11:59 AM
I bought their Snapz Pro X and it was terrible compared to Camtasia or ScreenFlow. Maybe that's why they're going out of business.

Old Muley
Apr 12, 2013, 12:26 PM
This is disappointing news. I really enjoyed a number of their games back in the '90's and was really hoping for reboots for many of them. I'd love and IOS or OSX version of Barrack!

mrxak
Apr 12, 2013, 01:36 PM
Sad but expected. I love Embrosia Soft. But frankly they missed the train when it comes to iOS. All their games are fantastic but why did none of them appear on iOS? How hard is it to port a game? You have the sprites, the sounds, the engine, just do it people! EV, Bubble Trouble, Apeiron, Harry, ... The list goes on! Not long ago I noticed a EV clone on iOS. It got game of the week!!! Looks almost shot for shot identical!

My take on this? They must have gotten scared of the pricing on iOS. Typically, Ambrosia games used to sell for $30 a pop on desktop. No one can charge that amount on iOS, although the volume is much larger.

Sad day.

Pricing may have had something to do with it. Porting, though, would have been non-trivial, for the same reasons you didn't see them port all those games to OS X with the added difficulties of creating new touch-based interfaces. Also, again, a lot of them were made by third party developers, and Ambrosia would have had to negotiate new deals with those devs.

holmesf
Apr 12, 2013, 02:04 PM

Sad day.

Porting the games would be easy. But making them playable and fun on a touch screen? None of my favorite iOS games have ever been ports.

therockyroad
Apr 12, 2013, 04:44 PM
Ah Avara - my first even LAN party. 10-15 Mac Quadra 610's connected by AppleTalk in a school lab. What fun we had.

Harry the Handsome Exec - classic and unique.

Loved em all. EV, Mars/Deimos rising, Barrack, Maelstrom of course.

Good memories. still playable on my retro games machine (Snow G3 iMac)

ConCat
Apr 12, 2013, 04:53 PM
Ah Avara - my first even LAN party. 10-15 Mac Quadra 610's connected by AppleTalk in a school lab. What fun we had.

Harry the Handsome Exec - classic and unique.

Loved em all. EV, Mars/Deimos rising, Barrack, Maelstrom of course.

Good memories. still playable on my retro games machine (Snow G3 iMac)

I suggest getting sheepshaver running. You get better performance in OS 9 on sheepshaver on a modern intel Mac than you ever could on a PPC Mac (especially a G3).

bflowers
Apr 12, 2013, 07:39 PM
I went to their website to see what a decade old copy of EV Nova would cost me. They still want $30 for it. I sad to say I can't see paying that much for software that old. Sorry Ambrosia.

neuropsychguy
Apr 12, 2013, 08:11 PM
I loved Maelstrom back in the day. I remember playing it quite a bit after it came out. Then I moved on to the EV series. Those are games that need to be remade (as long as they are true to the original). I remember all the great mods for them (my favorite was having Star Wars ships in the game). I hope Ambrosia can keep going; my heart will always have a soft spot for them.

ScottishCaptain
Apr 12, 2013, 10:06 PM
I suggest getting sheepshaver running. You get better performance in OS 9 on sheepshaver on a modern intel Mac than you ever could on a PPC Mac (especially a G3).

Sheepshaver doesn't emulate an MMU. It's easy to be fast when you're only emulating half the processor. It won't run the latest versions of Mac OS 9 (9.2.1) because of that.

-SC

Mackilroy
Apr 12, 2013, 11:09 PM
I loved Maelstrom back in the day. I remember playing it quite a bit after it came out. Then I moved on to the EV series. Those are games that need to be remade (as long as they are true to the original). I remember all the great mods for them (my favorite was having Star Wars ships in the game). I hope Ambrosia can keep going; my heart will always have a soft spot for them.
From what I've seen, Ambrosia will still be operating, just not in quite the same manner as we're familiar with.

deanbar
Apr 13, 2013, 03:20 AM
I've had Apeiron pre OS X and played it for years, then downloaded newer Intel OS X version when I upgraded to newer iMac. Still love it to bits. Hope Ambrosia keep going and possibly re-vitalise themselves.

ConCat
Apr 13, 2013, 04:11 AM
Sheepshaver doesn't emulate an MMU. It's easy to be fast when you're only emulating half the processor. It won't run the latest versions of Mac OS 9 (9.2.1) because of that.

-SC

True, but it's good enough for every OS 9 app I've thrown at it so far.

cjmillsnun
Apr 13, 2013, 04:22 AM
Ambrosia have issues.

Wiretap anywhere doesn't work with Lion or Mountain Lion (Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro does and is cheaper)

Wiretap studio is useless in comparison with Wiretap anywhere or Audio Hijack Pro.

Camtasia and screenflow are better than snapz pro

They've lost their way. It's sad.

andiwm2003
Apr 13, 2013, 07:42 AM
I'm not surprised. This is what happens when you act like you're the only game in town. They were IT for what their offerings were for a long time... but now there are a LOT of screen capture apps. SnapZPro had a bug w/ a version of OSX for a very long time and it went un-workable for months before they had a fix. Sorry - when I have a project due that requires a working app, I'm going to find a working competing app, and I did. No sense in paying for an upgrade to software in the future when they can sit on this OSX compatibility issue for months without getting a fix for it, when I can get a cheaper, competing app that works. You can make up in volume what you make up in price if your product is really good. When it's buggy w/ a new OS release and causes kernel panics every time you try to save a movie, people are going to stop trusting your product.

same here. I used SnapZPro but when they did not fix bugs for many month I moved on. I feel sorry for the employees.

reden
Apr 13, 2013, 01:03 PM
This is what happens when you become irrelevant, and don't do anything to stay relevant. Kinda like what's happening to Apple right now. I had a couple friends say the other day, there's nothing I want from Apple right now, isn't that weird? It's easy to become irrelevant, and insanely hard to make a comeback.

thewitt
Apr 13, 2013, 11:14 PM
This is what happens when you become irrelevant, and don't do anything to stay relevant. Kinda like what's happening to Apple right now. I had a couple friends say the other day, there's nothing I want from Apple right now, isn't that weird? It's easy to become irrelevant, and insanely hard to make a comeback.

Apple becoming irrelevant? You clearly are not paying attention.

Consultant
Apr 14, 2013, 02:02 AM

NOPE. Snapz Pro X and WireTap Studio are $69.00 each.

Their Mondo Solitaire was last updated in April 2012.

It appeared that they are still not up to speed on the new App Store world.

I have a couple of friends say your friends are irrelevant. Isn't that weird?

neutrino23
Apr 14, 2013, 07:55 PM
Too bad. I still use SnapZ Pro. I've looked at others but this still has the most options I need. Nevertheless, it hasn't been updated in years.

iZac
Apr 20, 2013, 01:28 PM
I actually bought EV Nova a year or so ago for OSX, I had always pissed around trying to avoid Hector thieving half my money as a poor child, but I thought that since I actually have the funds now, I should pay them back for the joy they brought me. I fired them off an email as well thanking for them for the memories etc, but never got a reply. :(

... Not long ago I noticed a EV clone on iOS. It got game of the week!!! Looks almost shot for shot identical! ...

You can't mention that you found an EV clone and then not tell us what it was?! I must know!!! :D

luk3tony
Apr 21, 2013, 02:41 PM
hi!! can you help about a virtual machine for MAC. i'll be using win7 on it..

Wallackb
Nov 14, 2013, 10:20 PM
The Snapz program does not work correctly under Maverick release and the company is no longer responding to Emails describing problems.