PDA

View Full Version : whichwhich one should I buy?

goastrydur
Apr 11, 2013, 04:41 PM
I have a 13 imch unibody macbook with 2.4ghz core 2 duo that has a bad battery and has issues with the airport from time to time. I also have a iPad2. I was thinking about buying a macbook air 11" with 128gb hd or a retina display iPad or a iPad mini. I just do basic stuff and was thinking about something mobile. What do you guys suggest? I even thought about a 13 inch rMBP but not sure I really need that much computer.

stchman
Apr 11, 2013, 04:44 PM
I'd get the 11" MBA over an iPad.

rdunlap
Apr 11, 2013, 07:25 PM
I'd get the 11" MBA over an iPad.

I wouldn't listen to anything this guy says. He has no idea what he's talking about.

I would go with the iPad.

kulimer
Apr 11, 2013, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't listen to both of the guys above.

Deciding what to buy depends on your needs. Personally, I get no work done when on the iPad, but I get so much help from the GPS when driving.

One is not a substitute of the other, they exist for different reasons.

LeeM
Apr 12, 2013, 09:39 AM
let us know what you need to use, and we can advise better. i wouldnt have an ipad as my only "computer" its too limited

WillPwr
Apr 12, 2013, 10:42 AM
As others mentioned, it really comes down to what you will be mostly using it for.

I have an iPad3 and recently bought a 13" MBA. Though there is overlap between the both in terms of the services each provide me, there are features/services that are exclusive to each.

Also, I went with a 13" MBA because the 11" MBA was just "too close" to that of an iPad for form.

wolfpuppies3
Apr 12, 2013, 11:55 AM
Concur with those who counsel that an iPad is not a computer. I have both and while the iPad is fine for reading books, casual surfing and email reading, it decidedly is not a computer for which you may download software. Different animals for different purposes.

Drew017
Apr 12, 2013, 01:32 PM
I have a 13 imch unibody macbook with 2.4ghz core 2 duo that has a bad battery and has issues with the airport from time to time. I also have a iPad2. I was thinking about buying a macbook air 11" with 128gb hd or a retina display iPad or a iPad mini. I just do basic stuff and was thinking about something mobile. What do you guys suggest? I even thought about a 13 inch rMBP but not sure I really need that much computer.

Definitely get the MacBook Air 11… You can do so much more with it than the iPad, and it is very portable. That's what I have ;)

That being said… if you really don't need a full computer, you can get the iPad. What will you need to use it for?

LeeM
Apr 12, 2013, 01:49 PM
just to add, 11 inchers are awesome. can anyone tell i just got one lol

splitpea
Apr 12, 2013, 10:28 PM
The iPad has no USB ports, no way to connect external storage (unless it's NAS), ditto for non-networked peripherals such as printers and scanners (admittedly less common than they once were).

If you expect never to need a USB peripheral, go for an iPad (I'd also pick up a Bluetooth keyboard, personally).

If you might use USB, or need to access websites that depend on flash (or have drop-down menus or drag n drop features that don't work with touch) or need precision in your pointers (as for graphics) or find it annoying to place the cursor or select text on a touch screen (I do, but that's subjective)... Well, go for the air.