PDA

View Full Version : "1 in 6 Norwegians have bought iPods"

Mitthrawnuruodo
Oct 24, 2005, 04:54 AM
According to Dagens Næringsliv (Norwegian equivalent to Financial Times) the organization for the Electronics businesses in Norway claims that Apple has already sold 750.000 iPods in Norway alone. 40.000 in 2003, before it started to take off with another 300.000 in 2004, and even more so far this year. This does not include those buying iPods online from foreign webstores nor those buying iPods while traveling abroad.

Apple Norway refuse to comment the numbers but admits they've sold a lot of iPods and that they had problems delivering for a while.

Norway has a population of ~4.5 million, and if the numbers are correct as many as 1 in 6 Norwegians have gotten themselves an iPod, which is far above the the relative number of iPods in most other countries.

digi.no (Norwegian) (http://www.digi.no/php/art.php?id=277672)

mad jew
Oct 24, 2005, 04:57 AM
That's amazing. Nice work Norway. :)

We're always being told in Geography classes that you guys are one of the most advanced nations on Earth.

Deepdale
Oct 24, 2005, 05:05 AM
Nor..."Way to go!" Keep up the good work.

gekko513
Oct 24, 2005, 05:23 AM
It's weird, because they haven't really advertised much.

cleanup
Oct 24, 2005, 06:13 AM
Six out of six people who buy iPods die.

How's that for a shocking statistic. :eek:

Labi
Oct 24, 2005, 06:28 AM
Six out of six people who buy iPods die.

How's that for a shocking statistic. :eek:
... in Afghanistan

gwuMACaddict
Oct 24, 2005, 06:37 AM
interesting... wonder what the ipod per person ration is in other nations

cleanup
Oct 24, 2005, 07:07 AM
... in Afghanistan

Hmm... no.

tristan
Oct 24, 2005, 07:10 AM
Why didn't they get these iPods earlier? Steve Jobs doesn't care about Norwegian people. :D

balamw
Oct 24, 2005, 08:49 AM
interesting... wonder what the ipod per person ration is in other nations
I heard a statistic on the US earlier this year, it was stated on NPR that 11% of adults in the US had purchased an iPod. For the math challenged. 11% is just about 1 in 9.

I guess like all statistics, to be taken with a grain of salt. Here's the original sources it would seem.

http://www.pewinternet.org/pdfs/PIP_podcasting.pdf

B

Labi
Oct 24, 2005, 10:25 AM
I heard a statistic on the US earlier this year, it was stated on NPR that 11% of adults in the US had purchased an iPod. For the math challenged. 11% is just about 1 in 9.

I guess like all statistics, to be taken with a grain of salt. Here's the original sources it would seem.

B

deleted

Labi
Oct 24, 2005, 10:34 AM

B

Not that I want to argue or something, but I believe Mitthrawnuruodo was refering to 1 in 6 of the entire population and not the adults only, which is pretty impresive.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Oct 24, 2005, 11:21 AM
Not that I want to argue or something, but I believe Mitthrawnuruodo was refering to 1 in 6 of the entire population and not the adults only, which is pretty impresive.Correct. We're just 4.5 million, including children. So the 1 in 6 is out of the whole population from infants to the aging. ;)

I guess if you just look at the population from 16-67 the number is closer to 1 in 4!

And remember that's without all those buying abroad, like me and my cousin who ordered 4 minis from CompUSA in February 2004. :)

balamw
Oct 24, 2005, 11:59 AM
Not that I want to argue or something, but I believe Mitthrawnuruodo was refering to 1 in 6 of the entire population and not the adults only, which is pretty impresive.
No arguments or one-upmanship here. Just attempting to answer gwuMACaddict's query with damn lies ^W ^W statistics form other countires.

Never been to Norway, but I visited Sweden a few years ago and was surprised as to the level of mobile phone use, even very young kids seemed to have their own phone and were activly using it.

B

SAukland
Oct 24, 2005, 11:44 PM
This makes sense now, because I'm norwegian. I've been searching for the deep rooted attraction I have to these products.

Looks like its ancestry.