PDA

View Full Version : Now I remember why I got rid of my iPhone

johnjefferson
Apr 11, 2013, 07:06 PM
I have been an Android user, bought the iPhone 5, went back to Android and now I am back on an iPhone 5 again. Forgot why I hated iOS on the iPhone. I just spent 15 minutes deleting over 1,000 photos from my iPhones photo stream :rolleyes: It wasnt good enough I deleted the album from iPhoto on my iMac, they still sat there on my iPhone, wonderful. Then we have albums. If I create a new album and move photos there, why cant I delete them from my camera roll? Try to do that and it deletes them everywhere. Brilliant.

Then we have ringtones. Apple has made a living off MP3s (iPod) but you can't just download one and set it as a ringtone. Why not? On my Android phones I could set one as anything I like. More jumping thru hoops in iOS to do something as simple as add a ringtone. Then we have lots of little annoyances like if someone emails me a number and I click it, I only get the option to call it. I have to copy it, open my keypad, paste it, then add it. On an Android, I can long press the number and call it, add it to my contacts, text it etc...Its things like this that are going to lead me to sell the iphone 5 and get the S4 when it comes out. Unless Apple can address such simple things with iOS 7

fr4c
Apr 11, 2013, 08:22 PM
So why go back to the iPhone, after you already had the 5? If you were happy with Android, particular these issues you mentioned I don't understand why you went back.

If this was your first iOS device then I understand, as Android is much better in iOS for the things that you've mentioned. But to complain about it now when you made the choice to go back is just silly.

ijohn.8.80
Apr 11, 2013, 08:39 PM
I have been an Android user, bought the iPhone 5, went back to Android and now I am back on an iPhone 5 again.

Do you have Dementia? :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

jamojamo
Apr 11, 2013, 08:49 PM
OP: Thanks for sharing.

tjl3
Apr 11, 2013, 10:31 PM
I have been an Android user, bought the iPhone 5, went back to Android and now I am back on an iPhone 5 again. Forgot why I hated iOS on the iPhone. I just spent 15 minutes deleting over 1,000 photos from my iPhones photo stream :rolleyes: It wasnt good enough I deleted the album from iPhoto on my iMac, they still sat there on my iPhone, wonderful. Then we have albums. If I create a new album and move photos there, why cant I delete them from my camera roll? Try to do that and it deletes them everywhere. Brilliant.

Then we have ringtones. Apple has made a living off MP3s (iPod) but you can't just download one and set it as a ringtone. Why not? On my Android phones I could set one as anything I like. More jumping thru hoops in iOS to do something as simple as add a ringtone. Then we have lots of little annoyances like if someone emails me a number and I click it, I only get the option to call it. I have to copy it, open my keypad, paste it, then add it. On an Android, I can long press the number and call it, add it to my contacts, text it etc...Its things like this that are going to lead me to sell the iphone 5 and get the S4 when it comes out. Unless Apple can address such simple things with iOS 7

I agree with you, why couldn't iOS be as perfect and polished as Android! :rolleyes:

johnjefferson
Apr 12, 2013, 12:31 AM

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Haha no. My Note 2 broke so I decided to try the iPhone again.

roxxette
Apr 12, 2013, 12:39 AM
I feel your pain mate, photostreams becomes a mess quickly if you dont "manage" the photos/pictures.

A very underrated tweak, photoalbums+ on cydia is how the stock photo app should be ! :( check it out if you still can.

ijohn.8.80
Apr 12, 2013, 01:14 AM

I'm glad you have a sense of humour! ;)

My heart actually goes out to you, I've experienced the same thing with wanting to get rid of pictures easily in bulk and had to spend hours finding a fix for it. :mad:

0dev
Apr 12, 2013, 04:30 PM
I'm in a similar boat, my Android phone broke so I'm back on my iPhone 4. Bloody thing doesn't even have HSPDA+ and it freezes up all the time. Will have a new phone in a few months hopefully though :)

TacticalDesire
Apr 12, 2013, 05:36 PM
I'm in a similar boat, my Android phone broke so I'm back on my iPhone 4. Bloody thing doesn't even have HSPDA+ and it freezes up all the time. Will have a new phone in a few months hopefully though :)

It doesn't "just work"? Hmmm....:rolleyes:

0dev
Apr 12, 2013, 05:41 PM
It doesn't "just work"? Hmmm....:rolleyes:

Neither iOS nor Android have "just worked" for me in all fairness. Out of the two I do prefer Android personally though and my next phone will likely be a Galaxy of some description. I really like BB10 too but the lack of apps really hinders it as a platform.

TacticalDesire
Apr 12, 2013, 05:45 PM
Neither iOS nor Android have "just worked" for me in all fairness. Out of the two I do prefer Android personally though and my next phone will likely be a Galaxy of some description. I really like BB10 too but the lack of apps really hinders it as a platform.

Yeah. Nothing is perfect. Just taking a jab at those who for whatever reason think iOS is the exception. Android has done the most for me on a mobile platform but I like both a lot. BB10 is also peaking my interest but I likely won't get one.

JHUFrank
Apr 13, 2013, 02:29 AM
Yeah, the Note 2 can "just break". My screen broke, and repairs options are limited as I dont want to spend a night working on the note with my two little kids around. Sending it to Samsung for repair, 180 bucks and 2 weeks. I love the phone, never dreamed it would get a cracked screen from an 18inch drop

kevinof
Apr 13, 2013, 03:22 AM
I think ANY phone can just break. My S3 was sent through the air, 30 feet across a road , bouncing 3 or 4 times and ended up with 3 chipped corners but everything else intact.

Great engineering by Samsung? Nope. Just luck.

Yeah, the Note 2 can "just break". My screen broke, and repairs options are limited as I dont want to spend a night working on the note with my two little kids around. Sending it to Samsung for repair, 180 bucks and 2 weeks. I love the phone, never dreamed it would get a cracked screen from an 18inch drop

tjl3
Apr 13, 2013, 07:31 AM
I think ANY phone can just break. My S3 was sent through the air, 30 feet across a road , bouncing 3 or 4 times and ended up with 3 chipped corners but everything else intact.

Great engineering by Samsung? Nope. Just luck.

Agreed. I dropped my Nexus 4 for the first time yesterday getting out of an SUV. I was using it for navigation and completely forgot about it when I was getting close to my destination. It landed face down and bounced a couple times on the street. No cracks in the glass, just a little scuffed on the soft edges.

A friend of mine got out of his Corvette at the gas station and dropped his GS3 face down. It spider web cracked from edge to edge. It just happened, good luck for me, bad luck for him. I wouldn't fault Samsung and praise LG in these two examples, b/c it could happen to any phone.

adnbek
Apr 13, 2013, 07:38 AM

When you put photos in Albums, they aren't "moved" to them. Albums are just a way to sort your photos into categories, but all the photos, even those in an album, are actually still in the camera roll.

They are similar to playlists with music.

cynics
Apr 13, 2013, 08:34 AM
Camera roll is one of my biggest gripes about iOS. I have over a thousand pics in my camera roll. If you asked me to find one it would take me 20 minutes.

There aren't even dates with the pictures available on the device. It's literally easier for me to plug my iPhone into and Android device, import the photos, and search them by date then find them on my iPhone.

iOS makes no attempt to automatically organize photos what so ever. The only time I can find old photos quickly is if I remember exactly where I was and can look it up based on the location.

It's not easy, it does not "just work" it's flat out terrible and antiquated. That's how I feel anyway. :)

onthecouchagain
Apr 13, 2013, 08:47 AM
Camera roll is one of my biggest gripes about iOS. I have over a thousand pics in my camera roll. If you asked me to find one it would take me 20 minutes.

There aren't even dates with the pictures available on the device. It's literally easier for me to plug my iPhone into and Android device, import the photos, and search them by date then find them on my iPhone.

iOS makes no attempt to automatically organize photos what so ever. The only time I can find old photos quickly is if I remember exactly where I was and can look it up based on the location.

It's not easy, it does not "just work" it's flat out terrible and antiquated. That's how I feel anyway. :)

Agreed.

0dev
Apr 13, 2013, 11:01 AM

Seriously. My old Nokia 6230 had better file organisation than iOS.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 13, 2013, 11:08 AM

Exactly the way I feel.

To add to that, Photostream has never worked perfectly for me. Between the iPad, iphone, and MBP ...... it's was always one random device that doesn't sync right or at all. When they all work in harmony, one device would end up out of the loop again within days. Even when I stopped using the iPhone, same issue between my MBP and iPad.

I disabled Photostream about 6 months ago. Now I use dropbox exclusively for auto uploading and syncing photos. Never had one problem yet.

QuarterSwede
Apr 13, 2013, 11:12 AM

Yeah, it needs a revamp for sure. That's why I learned early on to deal with photos within the day I've taken them by either deleting, editing, and/or posting. If Apple isn't going to change it they need to rename the Camera Roll the Photo Library or Master Roll for clarification.
I also feel like people who go from Android to iOS need to jailbreak it so they don't feel so constricted. Don't like something? You can change it.

ugahairydawgs
Apr 13, 2013, 12:42 PM

Out of curiosity.....why do you keep that many loose photos in your camera roll? If something is important why not just move it to an album or import it to iPhoto so that it can sync across devices? That way you can just keep the camera roll uncluttered.

iPad5
Apr 13, 2013, 02:39 PM
It's Scott Forstall's fault

lympero
Apr 13, 2013, 02:49 PM
I got rid of my iPhone because of its tiny screen.

cynics
Apr 13, 2013, 03:15 PM
Out of curiosity.....why do you keep that many loose photos in your camera roll? If something is important why not just move it to an album or import it to iPhoto so that it can sync across devices? That way you can just keep the camera roll uncluttered.

They are all important enough to keep on my phone. I do have them backed up though.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 13, 2013, 03:21 PM

I love the fact that the gallery on my GS3 categorizes my photos from one taken with default camera, downloaded, screenshots, and etc. Even separates photos I take from non default camera apps.

cynics
Apr 13, 2013, 03:25 PM
I love the fact that the gallery on my GS3 categorizes my photos from one taken with default camera, downloaded, screenshots, and etc. Even separates photos I take from non default camera apps.

Plus look at the information attached to the photo. The photos I import from iOS to Android have an address exactly where the pic was taken. Plus the obvious....a DATE! Lol

ugahairydawgs
Apr 13, 2013, 03:33 PM
They are all important enough to keep on my phone. I do have them backed up though.

That's where I was going. You can create albums on the phone.

TacticalDesire
Apr 13, 2013, 05:02 PM
Moving to android for my phone has been a breath of fresh air. I can actually use the phone how I want.

Irishman
Apr 13, 2013, 06:18 PM

Oh, good! I'm glad you remember now! Memory is such a tricky thing, especially for us old farts! :)

hyteckit
Apr 13, 2013, 09:17 PM

I know right. iPhone 5 has been out less than 1 year.

Seems like a lot of Android users here keep going back to the iPhone because they forgot how much they hate the iPhone and iOS. :D

----------

Your Note 2 just broke?

Do you remember how it broke? ;)

macrem
Apr 14, 2013, 01:22 AM
"[...]when you delete a photo from your Photo Stream on an iOS device or a Mac, or on a PC using iCloud Control Panel, that photo will be deleted from the Photo Stream view on all your devices and computers. Each device must be using the required software (see below), and have Photo Stream enabled. Deletions occur automatically as you connect each device to either Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Copies of Photo Stream photos you have saved to your Camera Roll on an iOS device or imported into events in your iPhoto or Aperture library, and photos you have copied into a folder on your PC that's not part of My Photo Stream, will not be deleted when you delete photos from Photo Stream."

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5125

Then we have ringtones. Apple has made a living off MP3s (iPod) but you can't just download one and set it as a ringtone. Why not?
You can get (free) ringtones in the AppStore or to convert mp3's, you'd have to do something like this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/156234/Turn_Any_MP3_into_an_iPhone_Ringtone.html

Not sure if this was a decision to help minimize issues caused by tech-unsaavy users selecting songs with long, quiet lead-ins & then contacting Support because they can't hear incoming calls &/or to minimize annoying/gaudy ringtones from iPhones.

if someone emails me a number and I click it, I only get the option to call it. I have to copy it, open my keypad, paste it, then add it. On an Android, I can long press the number and call it, add it to my contacts, text it etc...Its things like this that are going to lead me to sell the iphone 5 and get the S4 when it comes out. Unless Apple can address such simple things with iOS 7
This is the only item on your list that has ever bothered me, although rarely & slightly. In Europe, some people have a habit of formatting their number like this:

+33 (0)6 11111111

"33" is a country code only needed when dialing from outside the country, zero is only needed inside. If you don't put the zero (i.e., "+33611111111"), then the number can be dialed from anywhere on (smart)phones.

On my iPhone if someone emails me a number with the zero, I have to long press to add it to the address book and remove the zero. If you just dial, the number won't work & you can't modify the number directly from the dialer. It must be edited elsewhere first. Perhaps this matter could be addressed in iOS 7.

But you can long press phone numbers to add to the address book & I can also easily make a longer list than this about Android, or just say I still find iOS is smoother and a more simple, efficient, straightforward OS with richer apps. It comes down to personal preferences.

johnjefferson
Apr 14, 2013, 04:07 AM
I know right. iPhone 5 has been out less than 1 year.

Seems like a lot of Android users here keep going back to the iPhone because they forgot how much they hate the iPhone and iOS. :D

----------

Your Note 2 just broke?

Do you remember how it broke? ;)

Turns out the Note 2 doesn't like to be thrown across a room and land on a hardwood floor. Who knew?

fredaroony
Apr 14, 2013, 07:40 PM

Any device can just break if it hits the right spot.

Stuntman06
Apr 15, 2013, 04:11 PM
Then we have ringtones. Apple has made a living off MP3s (iPod) but you can't just download one and set it as a ringtone. Why not? On my Android phones I could set one as anything I like. More jumping thru hoops in iOS to do something as simple as add a ringtone.

I hear you. I couldn't believe how convoluted it was to move my wife's ringtone to her iPhone. When the process includes changing the iTunes import settings and using a DOS prompt to rename a file, something is just not right.

thehustleman
Apr 15, 2013, 04:30 PM

Also it's way easier to activate mobile hotspot on Android than iOS. In ios you have to hit settings, general, cellular, personal hotspot. On android, simply pull down the notification bar and tap the button.

Closing multiple apps is actually easier on Android too. On android you can close them all at once, but in iOS you have to close them one by one.

The multitasking is way better on Android as well.

But give ios time to steal more features from android and things will improve

johnjefferson
Apr 16, 2013, 02:14 PM
Having said what I did about the shortcomings of the iPhone and iOS, there are some things it really excels at. The camera takes better photos than any Android phone I have had, including the Galaxy line. The audio from videos is superb, especially at concerts or loud sporting events. Every Android phone I have shot video with at a concert, the audio is so badly muffled and distorted, I stopped even trying. The audio from the iPhone sounds almost as clean as audio off the soundboard, its excellent.

Another big sticking point for me is in car audio. My head unit is built for iPod/iPhone, so when I plug it in via USB, everything comes up on the head unit meaning I never have to look at my phone to navigate thru my music. Plus, it charges while playing music, win/win. Accessories are another thing. It was hard to even find nice cases for my Android phones, everyone carries tons of cases, bags, holsters etc...for iPhones.

Facebook and Instagram app on iPhone are way more polished, much faster and GPS locks in instantly when checking in. Also, the Around Me app is unrivaled, no Android app I used comes close to it. Lastly is the iPhones integration with Apple TV. I can be laying in bed and looking thru my photos, videos and online clips and stream them right to my TV. So these are reasons its hard for me to let go of the iPhone completely.

ugahairydawgs
Apr 16, 2013, 02:38 PM
Having said what I did about the shortcomings of the iPhone and iOS, there are some things it really excels at. The camera takes better photos than any Android phone I have had, including the Galaxy line. The audio from videos is superb, especially at concerts or loud sporting events. Every Android phone I have shot video with at a concert, the audio is so badly muffled and distorted, I stopped even trying. The audio from the iPhone sounds almost as clean as audio off the soundboard, its excellent.

Another big sticking point for me is in car audio. My head unit is built for iPod/iPhone, so when I plug it in via USB, everything comes up on the head unit meaning I never have to look at my phone to navigate thru my music. Plus, it charges while playing music, win/win. Accessories are another thing. It was hard to even find nice cases for my Android phones, everyone carries tons of cases, bags, holsters etc...for iPhones.

Facebook and Instagram app on iPhone are way more polished, much faster and GPS locks in instantly when checking in. Also, the Around Me app is unrivaled, no Android app I used comes close to it. Lastly is the iPhones integration with Apple TV. I can be laying in bed and looking thru my photos, videos and online clips and stream them right to my TV. So these are reasons its hard for me to let go of the iPhone completely.

To me....that's why I stick with iPhone year after year. There's no doubt that Android devices have buckets of features that just aren't there on iOS. But, for me at least, the things that iOS does well outweighs the benefits of the extra features that Android has. Add in the polish of iOS and for some (me included) that's enough to win the battle.

The good thing about it all is that we all have good options to choose from. While iOS may be what works best for me...that's obviously not the case for everyone. The problem we run into is that a lot of people figure out what's best for them and then expand that out to think that their right choice is the right choice for all (my theory is that its either that or they are just trying to convince themselves they made the right choice)....and that's where the bickering among users tends to come in.

fredaroony
Apr 16, 2013, 03:45 PM
To me....that's why I stick with iPhone year after year. There's no doubt that Android devices have buckets of features that just aren't there on iOS. But, for me at least, the things that iOS does well outweighs the benefits of the extra features that Android has. Add in the polish of iOS and for some (me included) that's enough to win the battle.

The good thing about it all is that we all have good options to choose from. While iOS may be what works best for me...that's obviously not the case for everyone. The problem we run into is that a lot of people figure out what's best for them and then expand that out to think that their right choice is the right choice for all (my theory is that its either that or they are just trying to convince themselves they made the right choice)....and that's where the bickering among users tends to come in.

Having used both OS's extensively I really don't get the "iOS is more polished" argument anymore.

I would love someone to explain it to me in a way that makes sense i.e. non Android bashing way.

I'm not saying iOS is bad either.

tbayrgs
Apr 16, 2013, 05:00 PM
Having used both OS's extensively I really don't get the "iOS is more polished" argument anymore.

I would love someone to explain it to me in a way that makes sense i.e. non Android bashing way.

For me personally, I find it visually more polished. On iOS, the UI elements have much finer detail, appear to almost have depth and far crisper graphics. For example, UI buttons have texture, almost seem raised where I find Android generally to be much more flat and simple. Best analogy I can come up with would be computer generated graphics vs. finely hand drawn pictures where iOS is the CGI. Also, for the most part, everything seems to fit together nicely from the OS UI to the individual apps while Android can have moments of disjointedness and inconsistency.

And please don't take these as absolutes, just rather my general perception. I don't find the differences between the two to be vast but certainly noticeable to my eye/taste and cleary, well, different. And to be honest, if I didn't find the differences so noticeable, it would probably be a lot easier for me to kick the iPhone to the curb entirely, considering it's many shortcomings. This is just one area where I feel it excels and personally carries quite a bit of weight with me.

Also, before I'm accused of being an iOS 'homer' and biased, I have used both OS extensively over the past year and am presently waiting for my new phone, an HTC One, to be delivered this Friday--can't wait!

adnbek
Apr 16, 2013, 05:40 PM

The fact that with technically weaker hardware, iPhones can perform as fast, if not faster, than the latest and greatest in real world use and in benchmarks.

Battery life is also one of the best in its class when its battery is relatively tiny compared to the competition.

Those would be the 2 main arguments I believe and is mostly due to the software being written specifically for the hardware it runs on.

sentinelsx
Apr 16, 2013, 08:14 PM
The fact that with technically weaker hardware, iPhones can perform as fast, if not faster, than the latest and greatest in real world use and in benchmarks.

Battery life is also one of the best in its class when its battery is relatively tiny compared to the competition.

Those would be the 2 main arguments I believe and is mostly due to the software being written specifically for the hardware it runs on.

A6 isn't weak, the gpu isn't weak, and judging from my LTe browsing timings, the battery is starting to show its limits too.

----------

When you put photos in Albums, they aren't "moved" to them. Albums are just a way to sort your photos into categories, but all the photos, even those in an album, are actually still in the camera roll.

They are similar to playlists with music.

Wow, thanks for the explanation. So that is how they do it in ios.

Seems like a crap implementation. I don't view my photos like I view my music and I would rather actually keep them separate than making "playlists" of photos. I wonder who's the smart guy making that decision at apple hq.

adnbek
Apr 16, 2013, 09:22 PM
A6 isn't weak, the gpu isn't weak, and judging from my LTe browsing timings, the battery is starting to show its limits too.

Oh definitely not. But even newer phones with faster CPUs (according to geekbench scores) cannot outperform it at the moment. As for GPU, that's another matter. No doubt the 5 has the most powerful GPU in phones today, but that pertains more to games and I'm referring to just normal use of the phone like browsing, rendering webpages, switching applications, scrolling, etc. In fact, when I installed Fakeclockup (when it was jailbroken), it blew my mind how fast the phone can actually be.

My battery life is as good as on the 4 so far. I'm pretty happy with it. With normal use which includes regular browsing, texting, calling and some light gaming throughout the day, I come home with about 30-50% left. Not too shabby. Nothing disabled except wifi and push email, with brightness around 50% or lower.

With high loads like gaming, definitely I find that the battery drains faster, but under normal loads it can last a very long while.
----------

Seems like a crap implementation. I don't view my photos like I view my music and I would rather actually keep them separate than making "playlists" of photos. I wonder who's the smart guy making that decision at apple hq.

Agreed.

Stuntman06
Apr 16, 2013, 11:03 PM

The problem I find with Android apps is that some of them don't look or work like Android apps. They look or work too much like iOS apps. It's like the app developer made a half-ass job of making an Android app and decided to be lazy because they already have an iOS app and just copied it.

roxxette
Apr 16, 2013, 11:57 PM
The problem I find with Android apps is that some of them don't look or work like Android apps. They look or work too much like iOS apps. It's like the app developer made a half-ass job of making an Android app and decided to be lazy because they already have an iOS app and just copied it.

Can you link an example of wich apps are like that ?

adder7712
Apr 17, 2013, 01:20 AM
Seriously. My old Nokia 6230 had better file organisation than iOS.

I had a full file manager on my old Sony Ericsson K550 from 2007.

xraydoc
Apr 17, 2013, 01:41 AM

Wait, so Gmail uses "labels" which allows multiple emails to be present in more than one place, and playlists allow individual songs to be in more than one place, but a picture library that allows pictures to be in more than one place is somehow an idiotic idea?

While I'm certainly no Apple-at-all-costs white knight, I think your logic here is incorrect, perhaps just to Apple bash. Personally, I'm quite pleased with having a picture available in more than one category ("album"). I think it's a feature that Google should implement on Android. It would certainly fit in well with Gmail labels and Google Music playlists (and Picassa albums).

roxxette
Apr 17, 2013, 01:44 AM
I had a full file manager on my old Sony Ericsson K550 from 2007.

Exactly and i dont remember any "malwares" back then; file manager needs to happend ! The ipad craves one.

JHUFrank
Apr 17, 2013, 04:59 AM
I agree. Even if it only has access to a limited number of folders. The whole sync model served its purpose for file management, but its time to move on. Exactly and i dont remember any "malwares" back then; file manager needs to happend ! The ipad craves one.

Stuntman06
Apr 17, 2013, 02:42 PM
Can you link an example of wich apps are like that ?

My banking app (Scotia Bank) has some rather odd behaviour. At various points of the app, hitting the back button exits the app instead of taking me to the previous screen. It has no landscape orientation, so it is useless on my tablet when my keyboard is docked (which is almost all the time).

roxxette
Apr 17, 2013, 02:45 PM
My banking app (Scotia Bank) has some rather odd behaviour. At various points of the app, hitting the back button exits the app instead of taking me to the previous screen. It has no landscape orientation, so it is useless on my tablet when my keyboard is docked (which is almost all the time).

I hate that a lot when no landscape orientation support.

Stuntman06
Apr 17, 2013, 02:48 PM
I hate that a lot when no landscape orientation support.

That or crappy landscape orientation. The Facebook app is a classic example of how not to do landscape. The Google+ app is a classic example of how to do it correctly.

bmac4
Apr 17, 2013, 03:40 PM

That does not sound like iOS being more polished. If I am not mistaken that is what he asked. I have used both android and iOS and like both, but I do prefer android just a bit more. Android for the longest time was really rough around the edges, and iOS has always been smooth. I still liked android back then too just for the simple fact of customization. Back then I would have said wothout a doubt iOS is way more smooth. Now though after jellybean I really can't say that. My nexus 4 is just as smooth as my iPhone 5 was. Now I will say iOS still has more apps, and maybe some are better because they were developed for iOS first. I cant call iOS more polished because android runs great now.

I do find that iOS user that say iOS is more polished have used a skinned version on android. Now I know people will say that is the most widely used kind of android, but it is not comparing apples to apples if you do that. If you compare the nexus 4 and the iPhone 5 for OS smoothness and just over of use. You could not still say iOS is more polished. I will ask it again because maybe I am wrong about what polished means, but how is is more polished? I don't want how it can out preform android with lower specs. That has nothing to do with iOS being polished. How does iOS run better?

adnbek
Apr 17, 2013, 04:33 PM
That does not sound like iOS being more polished. If I am not mistaken that is what he asked. I have used both android and iOS and like both, but I do prefer android just a bit more. Android for the longest time was really rough around the edges, and iOS has always been smooth. I still liked android back then too just for the simple fact of customization. Back then I would have said wothout a doubt iOS is way more smooth. Now though after jellybean I really can't say that. My nexus 4 is just as smooth as my iPhone 5 was. Now I will say iOS still has more apps, and maybe some are better because they were developed for iOS first. I cant call iOS more polished because android runs great now.

I do find that iOS user that say iOS is more polished have used a skinned version on android. Now I know people will say that is the most widely used kind of android, but it is not comparing apples to apples if you do that. If you compare the nexus 4 and the iPhone 5 for OS smoothness and just over of use. You could not still say iOS is more polished. I will ask it again because maybe I am wrong about what polished means, but how is is more polished? I don't want how it can out preform android with lower specs. That has nothing to do with iOS being polished. How does iOS run better?

Define polished then, because an OS that's light weight, fluid and fast is mine. :confused:

bmac4
Apr 17, 2013, 04:52 PM
Define polished then, because an OS that's light weight, fluid and fast is mine. :confused:

You mean a simple OS that requires not much of anything to run. I consider polish as being smooth, and fluid. IOS has always been smooth and fluid easy to use. Now android is just as polished.

linkgx1
Apr 17, 2013, 05:05 PM
For me personally, I find it visually more polished. On iOS, the UI elements have much finer detail, appear to almost have depth and far crisper graphics. For example, UI buttons have texture, almost seem raised where I find Android generally to be much more flat and simple. Best analogy I can come up with would be computer generated graphics vs. finely hand drawn pictures where iOS is the CGI. Also, for the most part, everything seems to fit together nicely from the OS UI to the individual apps while Android can have moments of disjointedness and inconsistency.

And please don't take these as absolutes, just rather my general perception. I don't find the differences between the two to be vast but certainly noticeable to my eye/taste and cleary, well, different. And to be honest, if I didn't find the differences so noticeable, it would probably be a lot easier for me to kick the iPhone to the curb entirely, considering it's many shortcomings. This is just one area where I feel it excels and personally carries quite a bit of weight with me.

Also, before I'm accused of being an iOS 'homer' and biased, I have used both OS extensively over the past year and am presently waiting for my new phone, an HTC One, to be delivered this Friday--can't wait!

Finally. Somone with common sense. Someone that explains things well, without being overtly biased.

I think part of the reason why Android doesn't look as good is a variety of othings. For one, they try to put it on as many phones as possible. So if the better looking ui takes up more power, that single core 1ghz processor might not cut it.

Secondly, the Android handset makers love to put their own skin on top of the OS, so it's almost no use to make vanilla look pretty.

But I do feel like at many times Android isn't made for people, but tweakers.

Tinmania
Apr 17, 2013, 05:10 PM

I would be perfectly happy if the back button never took me out of ANY app. I have a home button for that.

Michael

torana355
Apr 17, 2013, 05:21 PM
Moving to android for my phone has been a breath of fresh air. I can actually use the phone how I want.

Even simple things like being able to share a file or video is a breeze on Android.

bmac4
Apr 17, 2013, 05:30 PM
Finally. Somone with common sense. Someone that explains things well, without being overtly biased.

I think part of the reason why Android doesn't look as good is a variety of othings. For one, they try to put it on as many phones as possible. So if the better looking ui takes up more power, that single core 1ghz processor might not cut it.

Secondly, the Android handset makers love to put their own skin on top of the OS, so it's almost no use to make vanilla look pretty.

But I do feel like at many times Android isn't made for people, but tweakers.

Have you ever used stock android? You can make it look as "pretty" as you want. I don't understand the part about " not being made for people, but tweakers". So is it made for aliens or what do you mean by "tweakers"? If you are talking about "people" that like to play around with their phones and tweak them I am pretty sure they are still people. Android is not for everyone just like iOS is not for everyone, but one is not any better looking than the other it is all just taste. I think android looks great, but other people don't. That does not make it ugly.

torana355
Apr 17, 2013, 05:40 PM
Oh definitely not. But even newer phones with faster CPUs (according to geekbench scores) cannot outperform it at the moment.
----------

Most new android phones get much higher scores in geekbench then the ip5....

adnbek
Apr 17, 2013, 06:44 PM
Most new android phones get much higher scores in geekbench then the ip5....

Re-read what I wrote.

----------

You mean a simple OS that requires not much of anything to run. I consider polish as being smooth, and fluid. IOS has always been smooth and fluid easy to use. Now android is just as polished.

OK, so now I got your point. You hate iOS. Move on.

torana355
Apr 17, 2013, 06:48 PM
Re-read what I wrote.[COLOR="#808080"]

Even still, with benchmarks aside, how does the a6 outperform faster cpu's?

adnbek
Apr 17, 2013, 06:56 PM
Even still, with benchmarks aside, how does the a6 outperform faster cpu's?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/10

And from a recent review of the HTC One here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6747/htc-one-review/12

The A6, despite being slower, can still be on par with CPUs that get 1.5x-2x Geekbench scores.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't flip to the next page of either link. You don't want to compare GPUs.... That's a whole different discussion. :P

woodekm
Apr 17, 2013, 07:05 PM
I know I'll sound like a few rare people, but I'll go back to apple when the iphone gets a larger screen. I'm on the Internet too much to put up with that small screen. I have less than zero confidence that it will happen on the next version. And as long as apple can milk the fanboys, and sell them the same sized phone for maybe, ANOTHER version ( with an additional "s" version), ill stick with HTC and Samsung. I've realized that I like android, and the larger screen is exactly what I wanted.

I've owned every iPhone since the first ( and on the first day), except for the iPhone 5, because there were too many options, and felt that apple was milking the very people that LOVE the company.

BTW, apple better not try to just come out with a .25 " larger phone and try to sell THAT to the fanboys ( I used to be one). tHEN ( after an S version) sell them a . 50 larger screen. I could absolutely see them doing that now. The milking must stop.

bmac4
Apr 17, 2013, 07:16 PM
Re-read what I wrote.

----------

Oh really? You are you one saying that the iPhone blows android away with less specs. I am just pointing the fact android has a lot more to run than iOS. I said nothing was wrong with it being simple. That is part of what makes iOS what it is. They don't have widgets or things running in the background to make the OS work hard. I do like iOS I have an iPhone.

You can tell me how the iPhone can bet android with less specs, but I can careless about benchmarks. I care about real word use and using my nexus 4 and it is no slower than my iPhone 5. I am not hater I just get tired of people talking about iphones doing more with less. Look at how different each OS runs.

adnbek
Apr 17, 2013, 07:21 PM
I know I'll sound like a few rare people, but I'll go back to apple when the iphone gets a larger screen. I'm on the Internet too much to put up with that small screen. I have less than zero confidence that it will happen on the next version. And as long as apple can milk the fanboys, and sell them the same sized phone for maybe, ANOTHER version ( with an additional "s" version), ill stick with HTC and Samsung. I've realized that I like android, and the larger screen is exactly what I wanted.

I've owned every iPhone since the first ( and on the first day), except for the iPhone 5, because there were too many options, and felt that apple was milking the very people that LOVE the company.

BTW, apple better not try to just come out with a .25 " larger phone and try to sell THAT to the fanboys ( I used to be one). tHEN ( after an S version) sell them a . 50 larger screen. I could absolutely see them doing that now. The milking must stop.

I'm tempted by the HTC One myself. I'll never ditch my iPhone but HTC One's one sweeeet phone.

And I agree, I wouldn't mind an iPhone with a bigger screen. It's a bit more complicated with Apple though. There's a technical reason for them being so slow at increasing screen size. iOS is not resolution independent.

On the plus side, that's why iPad apps are so well-made vs. Android. Developers are forced to create a new UI for the different resolution. They can't just have their app stretch and fit the screen automatically like on Android.

On the negative side however, Apple would rather not create too many resolutions that developers need to deal with hence why they haven't change the screen size as drastically (or as often :D) as in the Android space.

What Apple should do is integrate a form of resolution independence but for two categories: Phones and tablets. That way, within a certain boundary, they can have phones being of several sizes without forcing a developer to re-write his app. But for anything going beyond 5" let's say, there would be another resolution that's used and that resolution would also be independent of screen sizes up to 10".

Anyway, it's not as easy as on Android to just come up with a screen size out of the blue on iOS currently. They'll have to rewrite the OS first to change this system to allow for resolution independence, but at the same time they don't want developers to be lazy and just have their apps stretch and fit any screen size. They clearly want the iPad and iPhone experiences to be different.

It's complicated.

adnbek
Apr 17, 2013, 07:32 PM
Oh really? You are you one saying that the iPhone blows android away with less specs. I am just pointing the fact android has a lot more to run than iOS. I said nothing was wrong with it being simple. That is part of what makes iOS what it is. They don't have widgets or things running in the background to make the OS work hard. I do like iOS I have an iPhone.

You can tell me how the iPhone can bet android with less specs, but I can careless about benchmarks. I care about real word use and using my nexus 4 and it is no slower than my iPhone 5. I am not hater I just get tired of people talking about iphones doing more with less. Look at how different each OS runs.

Oh I acknowledge the fact that Android is a more complex operating system and therefore will use more resources to run. What I'm simply saying is that with less resources, iPhones can perform just as fast and as smoothly as an Android phone with a lot more CPU power.

We're just arguing two sides of the same coin actually. You're saying Android is just as smooth as iOS because the specs and CPU speeds are finally powerful enough to make it run smooth, and I'm saying iOS is light and resource-efficient enough that it'll run just as smooth and quick with less power under the hood.

It's just two ways of looking at it and both are correct. I guess our disagreement is on the definition of "polished". To me, it means how efficient, optimized and how little resource-hungry it is, to you it's about functionality and the availability of features and options.

You say potato, I say potato.

torana355
Apr 17, 2013, 07:37 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/10

And from a recent review of the HTC One here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6747/htc-one-review/12

The A6, despite being slower, can still be on par with CPUs that get 1.5x-2x Geekbench scores.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't flip to the next page of either link. You don't want to compare GPUs.... That's a whole different discussion. :P

Going off your second link the ip5 only wins in the sunspider test which is more of a benchmark for the browser used and how it handles javascript. In all the other tests the latest Android phones seem to win the benchmarks.

Edit: Your first link does indicate the ip5 is faster, it seems to have some different benchmarks.

TacticalDesire
Apr 17, 2013, 07:40 PM
Re-read what I wrote.

----------

Saying iOS is simple and doesn't use as many resources means he hates it? Good grief.

woodekm
Apr 17, 2013, 07:43 PM
I'm tempted by the HTC One myself. I'll never ditch my iPhone but HTC One's one sweeeet phone.

And I agree, I wouldn't mind an iPhone with a bigger screen. It's a bit more complicated with Apple though. There's a technical reason for them being so slow at increasing screen size. iOS is not resolution independent.

On the plus side, that's why iPad apps are so well-made vs. Android.

It's complicated.

Oddly enough, my HTC one ( factory unlocked!) will be here on Friday, and I haven't been as excited about receiving a piece of electronics since when the iPhone 4 came out , or the ipad 1 (but not the 4s). I miss this anticipation and get to feel it again, but unfortunately, not about an apple product. HEY, being this excited, over something as stupid as a phone at our age, must be appreciated! We're not 9 anymore!

I am a fan boy, and will come back, but only when the (if EVER) larger iPhone comes out. EVERY other company has gone with the larger format ( even F'n BLACKBERRY - oh the horror!), so only when phone sizes end up going back to the mid 90s size, I'll buy into that apple has made the right decision by keeping their only phone with a 4" screen.

Just my gripe. I'll enjoy other products till then, but will miss apple.

bmac4
Apr 17, 2013, 07:53 PM
Oh I acknowledge the fact that Android is a more complex operating system and therefore will use more resources to run. What I'm simply saying is that with less resources, iPhones can perform just as fast and as smoothly as an Android phone with a lot more CPU power.

We're just arguing two sides of the same coin actually. You're saying Android is just as smooth as iOS because the specs and CPU speeds are finally powerful enough to make it run smooth, and I'm saying iOS is light and resource-efficient enough that it'll run just as smooth and quick with less power under the hood.

It's just two ways of looking at it and both are correct. I guess our disagreement is on the definition of "polished". To me, it means how efficient, optimized and how little resource-hungry it is, to you it's about functionality and the availability of features and options.

You say potato, I say potato.

Yea I agree. I like iOS I still use my iPad 2 every day and love it. I could not do without it. I just think iOS is a much different OS. To me they make it much less complex for 2 reasons. First it make it much easier for everyone to use which makes it sale like crazy. Second to make run smooth. It works for them and many users.

Now I am not saying android just now got enough processing power to keep up with ios. Yes they may be true with some of the skinned versions of android, but the nexus one was smooth and fast like ios. Stock android has always been smooth. When I think polished the nexus one was not that because android was not polished. It was not refined.

adnbek
Apr 17, 2013, 08:20 PM
Going off your second link the ip5 only wins in the sunspider test which is more of a benchmark for the browser used and how it handles javascript. In all the other tests the latest Android phones seem to win the benchmarks.

Edit: Your first link does indicate the ip5 is faster, it seems to have some different benchmarks.

The first link compares the 5 with the phones that were current when it was released, some of which already had faster cpus than the 5 if you compare geekbench scores.

In the 2nd link, the 5 is being featured in a chart along with the latest phones available today, but even then the performance difference (5-10%) is still minor when you compare the CPUs. You'd expect a 2-3x difference, not just a tiny bump in speed.

That's what I mean by efficient.

----------

Saying iOS is simple and doesn't use as many resources means he hates it? Good grief.

There was negativity in how he said it. Was trying to point that out. Of course I was kinda snarky in how I said it. :D

bmac4
Apr 17, 2013, 08:27 PM
The first link compares the 5 with the phones that were current when it was released, some of which already had faster cpus than the 5 if you compare geekbench scores.

In the 2nd link, the 5 is being featured in a chart along with the latest phones available today, but even then the performance difference (5-10%) is still minor when you compare the CPUs. You'd expect a 2-3x difference, not just a tiny bump in speed.

That's what I mean by efficient.

----------

There was negativity in how he said it. Was trying to point that out. Of course I was kinda snarky in how I said it. :D

No you took it as negativity. I was simply stating ios is a much simpler OS which requires less to run. I believe I said something to the effect of " You mean a simple OS that requires not much of anything to run" . That is not negativity just reality.

cynics
Apr 17, 2013, 08:49 PM
iOS does take less to run but let's not negate the fact iOS has some tricks up its sleeves that give it fluidity. The UI gets priority functioning and with clever app designing it goes almost unnoticed.

Browsers for example, if you load a busy webpage on iOS and start scrolling before its done the downloading and loading will freeze until you stop. On a mobile platform most don't notices this. The flip side are apps that prioritize loading, like tapatalk. Tapatalk is annoying if your network connection is slow since you are stuck staring at "Loading" and the app is unresponsive. But is still very very fluid. Try doing both at the same time an iOS will stutter, ie Facebook.

adder7712
Apr 18, 2013, 12:53 AM
iOS does take less to run but let's not negate the fact iOS has some tricks up its sleeves that give it fluidity. The UI gets priority functioning and with clever app designing it goes almost unnoticed.

Browsers for example, if you load a busy webpage on iOS and start scrolling before its done the downloading and loading will freeze until you stop. On a mobile platform most don't notices this. The flip side are apps that prioritize loading, like tapatalk. Tapatalk is annoying if your network connection is slow since you are stuck staring at "Loading" and the app is unresponsive. But is still very very fluid. Try doing both at the same time an iOS will stutter, ie Facebook.

It's also apparent when there are animated .gifs on a page. Try scrolling and the animation pauses.

mib1800
Apr 18, 2013, 01:09 AM
Re-read what I wrote

Why you think that? In this browser test (website load time), Iphone5 performs worse than S3 (see the results for S3 without flash plugin).

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Web-Browser-comparison-iPhone-5-vs-Galaxy-S-III-vs-One-X-vs-Lumia-900_id35164

Eventhough ip5 beats the S3 in browser benchmarck but in REAL USAGE it performs slower. (so you assertion that slower Ip5 cpu outperforms faster ones in general usage is bull)

torana355
Apr 18, 2013, 01:35 AM

That's what I mean by efficient.[COLOR="#808080"]

Ok i see but using benchmarks to test different devices against each other is irrelevant anyway. Benchmarks depend on many variables and depend largely on how optimized they are for a certain OS. For example the benchmark scores on the Nexus 4 when it was released were very low but it turned out the benchmarks had not been optimized for jellybean 4.2 yet. In real world usage you will find results may vary from alot of the benchmarks. Also devices respond better to certain benchmarks, for example the nexus 4 responds great to geekbench but is horrible on quadrant.

sentinelsx
Apr 18, 2013, 01:49 AM
Wait, so Gmail uses "labels" which allows multiple emails to be present in more than one place, and playlists allow individual songs to be in more than one place, but a picture library that allows pictures to be in more than one place is somehow an idiotic idea?

While I'm certainly no Apple-at-all-costs white knight, I think your logic here is incorrect, perhaps just to Apple bash. Personally, I'm quite pleased with having a picture available in more than one category ("album"). I think it's a feature that Google should implement on Android. It would certainly fit in well with Gmail labels and Google Music playlists (and Picassa albums).

I am sorry to inform you that unlike you, I don't view photos as music.

I organize my photos in separate places because that is how I expect them to be. It is hard to explain but the "playlist" idea is not to my liking. I could care less if someone thinks it is apple bashing to prefer a certain way.

And the gmail example of yours is lame. Because after labeling I don't keep my emails in inbox and they are not cluttering it. I cannot take pictures out of camera roll into an album if I want to.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 05:58 AM

It does and all those things are great, but I still don't get the "iOS is more polished" argument. I just don't think it is relevant anymore after android 4.1. Like I said before iOS requires less power to run which is great, but that is also because it is doing less. Android has to be running all the widgets that you have and running the system. I don't call it poor system management because that is what us users of android want. I love widgets and don't mind having a bigger battery and processor to run the phone. Requiring less power and battery does not equal more polished. The two OS manage themselves differently.

Jibbajabba
Apr 18, 2013, 07:20 AM
Unless Apple can address such simple things with iOS 7

I complained about things like ringtones since IOS zero and a half .. I wouldn't hold my breath.

adder7712
Apr 18, 2013, 07:37 AM
I complained about things like ringtones since IOS zero and a half .. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Another gripe I have on iOS.

My opinion

iOS: Easy for first time smartphone users but cumbersome for those who want to customise their phones.
Android: Might be intimidating for some first time smartphone users but an absolute joy for users who want to customise their device.

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 08:02 AM
Can't wait to be free of iOS when my One arrives.

johnjefferson
Apr 21, 2013, 07:06 PM
Went to take a pic with my IP5 today and I have black spots on my sensor out of nowhere, WTF? Getting rid of this thing ASAP, not getting stuck with some Apple refurb :rolleyes:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1573564

rockitdog
Apr 22, 2013, 10:00 AM
Went to take a pic with my IP5 today and I have black spots on my sensor out of nowhere, WTF? Getting rid of this thing ASAP, not getting stuck with some Apple refurb :rolleyes:

Worse things to be stuck with than an apple refurb. They only do spot checks on new batches of iPhones whereas each refurb is individually inspected and tested to work perfectly before being released.

johnjefferson
Apr 22, 2013, 10:48 AM
Worse things to be stuck with than an apple refurb. They only do spot checks on new batches of iPhones whereas each refurb is individually inspected and tested to work perfectly before being released.

Spot checks won't mean a thing because they weren't there 2 days ago, they are now. Also, refurbished phones drop in resale value meaning I get screwed when I go to sell it.

tbayrgs
Apr 22, 2013, 10:57 AM
Spot checks won't mean a thing because they weren't there 2 days ago, they are now. Also, refurbished phones drop in resale value meaning I get screwed when I go to sell it.

I'd agree with you for any manufacturer besides Apple. As rockitdog mentioned, in many ways a refurb can be better as you are guaranteed it's been tested vs. new devices. I've resold all of my iPhones for a profit and every single one was probably a refurb as they were all replaced via AppleCare at some point. You know what I've never had to bring into the Genius Bar at an Apple Store? A refurbished device.

jamojamo
Apr 22, 2013, 11:18 AM

I hope your Android experience is great. You clearly don't like the iOS/iPhone so why subject yourself to more frustration.

Good luck!

Paradoxally
Apr 22, 2013, 07:49 PM

Funny, because an iPhone 5 refurb is still.......an iPhone. If the camera works after replacement, what's the big deal??? You just are bitter towards anything iOS.

Don't think Android's side of the fence is any greener.

Enjoy your plastic S4. I'd love to see how easy it is for you to get a replacement like Apple offers, should anything happen. ;)

johnjefferson
Apr 22, 2013, 08:16 PM
Actually got a new one so thats cool and yes, its great being able to go in to an Apple store for a problem. Sure beats having to ship a phone off or worse yet, pay $150 for a new one. I am probably going to hold out and see what changes iOS 7 brings before going back to Android. With Ive in charge, I have a feeling 7 might be pretty good.