PDA

View Full Version : PWRficient Processor Family Announced (64-bit PowerPC)

Hattig
Oct 24, 2005, 06:15 AM
I don't need to say much here, apart from these are Socketed PowerPC (both 32-bit and 64-bit) compatible processors with a lot of high-performance integration, and per-customer customisation if required.

Press Release

http://www.pasemi.com/news/releases/2005_oct_24_1.html

Initial Processors

Single Core @ 1.5GHz, 5W - 8W (typical): http://www.pasemi.com/processors/1361E.html

Dual Core @ 2.0GHz, 5W - 13W (typical): http://www.pasemi.com/processors/1682M.html

Performance

The Inquirer said that the latter achieved >1000 SPECint and >2000 SPECfp per core: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27167

The processors also include full TCP/IP offload, meaning greater performance, and the option of dual 10Gbit ethernet controllers on the processor.

FireArse
Oct 24, 2005, 07:36 AM
Let me get this right....

This company licensed the Power architecture from IBM, and has produced chips with more cores, consumes less power and with more features than you can shake a stick at...

Sounds like they've done a fantastic job!

...why haven't IBM done this? Maybe they'll get more $$$ from cell? Do IBM think the normal core setup of current PPC has had its day?

My aim is to get a brand new top whack PM just before the Intels come out. Then get an Intel PB. I therefore get the most powerful PPC and current laptop technology. It's gonna cost an arm and a leg!

Apple, please keep compiling your OS's to PPC indefinately!

F

Tastannin
Oct 24, 2005, 07:39 AM
There won't be anything around soon:
"It will sample in the third calendar quarter of 2006, with single-core and quad-core versions due in early and late 2007, respectively, and an eight-core version planned for 2008."

I also didn't see any mention of Altivec - so I'm not so sure Apple would use one of these, tho I do understand these chips are modular. The POWER instruction set was licensed by this firm from IBM, but we don't know how much work it'd take to get one of these working inside a Mac. Yup, they're nice low-power chips focused on embedded systems (actually they're more like complete systems on chip), and if Apple does go the dual architecture route (both Intel and PPC) rather than a complete switch to Intel - I'm sure Apple will take a long hard look at these chips.

Hattig
Oct 24, 2005, 08:11 AM
There won't be anything around soon:
"It will sample in the third calendar quarter of 2006, with single-core and quad-core versions due in early and late 2007, respectively, and an eight-core version planned for 2008."

I also didn't see any mention of Altivec - so I'm not so sure Apple would use one of these, tho I do understand these chips are modular. The POWER instruction set was licensed by this firm from IBM, but we don't know how much work it'd take to get one of these working inside a Mac. Yup, they're nice low-power chips focused on embedded systems (actually they're more like complete systems on chip), and if Apple does go the dual architecture route (both Intel and PPC) rather than a complete switch to Intel - I'm sure Apple will take a long hard look at these chips.

They have a full VMX unit, also licensed from IBM. That means it has Altivec.

Yeah, it is a bit sad that they won't be around for another year. In the end you have to wonder how these chips will compare in terms of integer, floating point and vector operations with the Merom processor that Apple will be migrating to. Especially in terms of power consumption - the estimates on the Intel processor keep on going up, whilst this one has very low (estimated?) power consumption.

OutThere
Oct 24, 2005, 08:31 AM
Maybe this will be Apple's go-to processor when they're still fumbling around with G4 powerbooks in 3 years...:p

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 09:04 AM
Sounds like some nice chips, too bad we are switching to Intel.

Demon Hunter
Oct 24, 2005, 04:16 PM
Maybe this will be Apple's go-to processor when they're still fumbling around with G4 powerbooks in 3 years...:p

If this chip performs better than Merom or something I will just die. :rolleyes: