PDA

View Full Version : What is the 970?

Wano
Dec 13, 2002, 08:31 PM
is it the G5 processor?...and when will it be released?

Nipsy
Dec 13, 2002, 09:30 PM
The 970 is a Power4 (THE big dog chip) derivative.

It will be the next high end chip in Apple's top end offerings.

The G5 moniker may be dead, or the 970 may be the G5....semantics. I think that "G" may get retired...

The 970 will be a workstation class chip (MIPs, UltraSparcIII, Xeon, Itanium, etc.). The 970 will have a lower GHz rating than much cheaper (and likely less powerful) Intel & AMD offerings.

The 970 will do great things for multitasking, db serving, multiuser computing, etc. due to its very high system communications bandwidth.

The 970 may not be schockingly fast for:
games
non Altivec apps

The 970 will dramatically increase the performance of:
64 bit apps which utilize full width (remember, Oracle's coming)
Apps which bottleneck between the processor and memory

As the 970 scales, and people utilize the bandwidth, it will perform even better.

Also, if IBM uses this chip in its workstations, we'll see a lot more Altivec enhancements in things ported from UNIX (Apache, GIMP, etc.).

The 970 will be sampling (low level production to fine tune yields and speed ratings) in the beginning months of next year.

It will be an available processor in the later months of next year.

When it will be in Apple hardware depends on how close the Apple/IBM relationship is, as well as how well the chip samples at the fab and whether serious tweaking needs to be done, and countless other factors, including economics, demand, remaining contracts to buy G4s, etc.

arn
Dec 13, 2002, 10:27 PM
To catch up, read the older articles on the 970

http://www.macrumors.com/searcharticles.php3?searchterm=970

Wano
Dec 14, 2002, 01:51 AM
ok, i got a brief idea now, but there are so many numbers. How much faster will it be compared to the powerpc G4 1.25ghz?

benixau
Dec 14, 2002, 08:29 AM
i dunno? lets see

it starts at 1.4ghz
it has a faster bus.
it truley uses DDR RAM
it will have altivec
it will run 32bit apps natively
it will be from IBM

i think it will make the DP 1.25 look like an ibook 700 in comparison.

it will be the best thing for apple right now, or in a years time.