PDA

View Full Version : iMessage Again Down for Some Users [Updated]

MacRumors
Apr 12, 2013, 09:30 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/12/imessage-again-down-for-some-users/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/systemstatus-1.jpg
Multiple users have emailed MacRumors and posted on Twitter (https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=imessage) that they are having difficulties sending and receiving iMessages.

Both iMessage and FaceTime were down earlier this week (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/09/imessage-and-facetime-down-for-some-no-estimate-on-service-restoration-yet/) for several hours, though Apple's Services Status (http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/) page does not indicate any problems as of 7:30AM Pacific time.

Update: Apple has updated its system status page (http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/) indicating issues with both iMessage and FaceTime.

Update 2: Apple's status page indicates that the issue has been resolved as of 9:07 AM Pacific time, although we are still seeing scattered reports of problems.

Article Link: iMessage Again Down for Some Users [Updated] (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/12/imessage-again-down-for-some-users/)

rishey
Apr 12, 2013, 09:35 AM
I think the app store may be down too for downloads. I've been having the problem since late last night on multiple devices and a google search shows i'm not alone.

Cyberskip
Apr 12, 2013, 09:37 AM
I haven't been able to access Mail or other iCloud services since 1:00 am here in So Cal.

Raftysworld
Apr 12, 2013, 09:38 AM
Works fine for me. Android users stirring trouble this morning? :confused:

hirshnoc
Apr 12, 2013, 09:38 AM
iTunes store seems to be down too for downloads. Not sure what the problem is.

rmwebs
Apr 12, 2013, 09:43 AM
What the heck is the point in the status page existing? It's clearly manually managed, otherwise it'd be showing outages all the time.

Apple still seems to suck at online services. This is fact, not trollbait for what it's worth.

Kate.
Messages works fine on my iPad but I can't even sign in on my Mac. Also can't sign in to iCloud.com either. Amazingly, this is the first time I've been hit by an outage (that I'm aware of).

troop231
Apple needs to get this iCloud related downtime mess solved.

crazedcujo
Apr 12, 2013, 09:44 AM
Unable to use iCloud email all morning - and still is not working.... :mad:

I'm glad I still kept my gmail account LOL

Shrink
Apr 12, 2013, 09:49 AM

Good idea!!:rolleyes:

Glassed Silver
Apr 12, 2013, 09:49 AM
POS backend obviously.

Why would I trust iCloud documents in the cloud again?
Oh right, I don't.

Dayum, Apple. Fix your internet operations.
Google's penetrating your turf - design, whilst you're slacking getting internet operations working.

Oh and please: take data integrity a bit more serious. HFS+ is a subpar filesystem and an iMac with 32GB RAM should be able to run ZFS or another data integrity checking and fixing filesystem in the 21st century.
It's not all just nice new candy features that look pretty.

Not everyone connects to the same server.

Glassed Silver:mac

Some guy
Apr 12, 2013, 09:52 AM
"It just works!"

Plutonius
Apr 12, 2013, 09:54 AM

With everything having issues, it may be a cyber attack. In any case, Apple probably wouldn't say if it was.

benfro6
Apr 12, 2013, 09:56 AM
My outage seems to be intermittent this morning. Has been occurring for at least the last two hours. Five minutes iMessage works great, next twenty five nothing. App Store has given me a good deal of trouble both on my Mac and iPhone.

CJK
Apr 12, 2013, 09:57 AM
Been having trouble with the iOS App Store since around 0400 EDT, iMessage not working properly (messages occasionally failing, occasionally delivered with several minute delays).

Sheesh. "Strategy for the next 10 years" indeed.

Radio
Apr 12, 2013, 09:59 AM
out in sacramento california

this is so annoying.

it's supposed to just work. :(

----------

I haven't been able to access Mail or other iCloud services since 1:00 am here in So Cal.

why dont u use gmail?

it's a far superior client

Sykotic
Apr 12, 2013, 10:00 AM
It's been a mixed bag for me. Trouble with iMessage all morning for some of my contacts. Others are going through fine. No rhyme or reason to it.

Jessica Lares
Apr 12, 2013, 10:02 AM
I've been having issues since around 2AM, it's been up and down. Can't log into iCloud either.

lolkthxbai
Apr 12, 2013, 10:03 AM
Would this have anything to do with t-mobile going live with the iPhone?

boshii
Apr 12, 2013, 10:05 AM
Oh I thought it was just me. I uninstalled BiteSMS thinking it may have been that.

Oldfash33
Apr 12, 2013, 10:08 AM
Would this have anything to do with t-mobile going live with the iPhone?
I was wondering the exact same thing!

BJMRamage
Apr 12, 2013, 10:15 AM
I can access iCloud email on the iPhone but not the Mac/Online.

avanpelt
Apr 12, 2013, 10:27 AM
I'm definitely seeing iMessage issues in Metro Atlanta. iMessages either fail to send completely or will show as delivered about four or five minutes after I sent them.

MaxDrago
Apr 12, 2013, 10:34 AM
iMessage not working as expected. More than a minute delay to send. Though this could be a backlog on the server side for something that was supposed to be seamless.
All other iCloud services seem to be working for me, as far as i can test them without flaming hoops. :cool:

Note: not in Calli

Mlrollin91
Apr 12, 2013, 10:37 AM
Been out since 8PM PST last night. Have been on the phone with Apple for several hours trying to figure it out. My rep is very friendly and is submitting it to the engineers. We exhausted every single troubleshooting step excepting replacing my phone. Its weird because iMessages works on my iMac, MBA and iPad 2, but not my iPhone 5.

4God
Apr 12, 2013, 10:43 AM
FWIW, the status page has updated to indicate the outage. Down for about an hour according to Apple.

http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Mlrollin91
Apr 12, 2013, 10:44 AM
FWIW, the status page has updated to indicate the outage. Down for about an hour according to Apple.

http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Psst.. Just after I did 2 full restores.. What a waste of a couple hours.

CJK
Apr 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
Psst.. Just after I did 2 full restores.. What a waste of a couple hours.

Considering Apple's track record with its online services, why would you assume it's a problem on your end?

diazj3
Apr 12, 2013, 10:53 AM
iCloud mail not working... sent a couple of emails from Mail via my .me and .icloud accounts, and they don't arrive to their destinations.

Quite annoying...

Lesson learned (again, after .mac and .me)... NEVER depend on Apple for online services.

Mlrollin91
Apr 12, 2013, 10:53 AM
Considering Apple's track record with its online services, why would you assume it's a problem on your end?

Because it works on my MBA, iMac and iPad 2... and not my iPhone 5..
Kind of weird if 3/4 of my devices are working on the same account. You would think if it was a sever problem, my entire account would be offline.

CJK
Apr 12, 2013, 11:00 AM
Because it works on my MBA, iMac and iPad 2... and not my iPhone 5..
Kind of weird if 3/4 of my devices are working on the same account. You would think if it was a sever problem, my entire account would be offline.

I suspect it depends on the particular server your device is connecting to. FWIW, I've had the same experience: problems on my iPhone but not my iPad.

Sorry you wasted all that time. :/

Mlrollin91
Apr 12, 2013, 11:02 AM
I suspect it depends on the particular server your device is connecting to. FWIW, I've had the same experience: problems on my iPhone but not my iPad.

Sorry you wasted all that time. :/

Haha thank you. And yeah, its really weird. It got to the point where I thought I had a defective phone, and so did the 3 reps that I spoke to. It wasn't until I got to the the 4th, the Senior Advisor, who said she needed to contact the engineers to see what is going on. Then this thread started.

UPDATE: All devices of mine are back online and syncing with each other! Finally!

ziggyonice
Apr 12, 2013, 11:13 AM
Apple really needs to step up their ability to maintain iCloud if they want to compete with Google. This has become a major problem as Google expands their reach into hardware (Apple's core strength).

As Ian Betteridge put it (http://www.technovia.co.uk/2013/03/a-mac-users-view-of-the-chromebook-pixel.html):

Google can do hardware with the same attention to detail and quality that Apple does. It’s not a shot across Apple’s bows, but more putting a flag in the ground that says “Come on Cupertino, we can do hardware — you think you can do services?”

Google is getting better at what Apple does best faster than Apple is getting better at what Google does best

monaarts
Apr 12, 2013, 11:17 AM
I've noticed that whenever things like this start consistently happening it means that Apple is about to send out an event invitation. Seriously, the last 2 times stuff like this happened there were events (I don't remember exactly when but I paid attention to it). I bet we see event invitations in the next 2 weeks.

WestonHarvey1
Apr 12, 2013, 11:34 AM
I've noticed that whenever things like this start consistently happening it means that Apple is about to send out an event invitation. Seriously, the last 2 times stuff like this happened there were events (I don't remember exactly when but I paid attention to it). I bet we see event invitations in the next 2 weeks.

What a great way to get people excited about an upcoming Apple event!

monaarts
Apr 12, 2013, 11:38 AM
What a great way to get people excited about an upcoming Apple event!

I'm being serious... I bet it has something to do with them testing systems or configuring the systems to work with new devices and/or software. They probably have to take it offline to work on it or something.

CJK
Apr 12, 2013, 12:02 PM
I'm being serious... I bet it has something to do with them testing systems or configuring the systems to work with new devices and/or software. They probably have to take it offline to work on it or something.

Umm ... no.

Szarky
Apr 12, 2013, 12:52 PM
It's crap like this that stops me from fully embracing iCloud and switching over my e-mail from Gmail. In the couple years I've had my Gmail account, NEVER has it been down for me. It's one of those services that I just expect to be up 100% of the time.

Tinmania
Apr 12, 2013, 12:58 PM
So much for five nines.

Mike

WestonHarvey1
Apr 12, 2013, 12:59 PM

So they don't even have a development environment for testing? If that's the case, Apple's services are in worse shape than anyone could imagine.

Combchris
Apr 12, 2013, 01:04 PM
Am I the only one who seems to allows have iMessage problems. I will be talking to someone and messages will fail and they want me to resend as text so I do and they work then it switches back to iMessage again does it all again. It's annoying

srsub3
Apr 12, 2013, 02:02 PM
Up to now I can't download from the app store... it started to do so yesterday evening....

Plutonius
Apr 12, 2013, 02:12 PM
It's crap like this that stops me from fully embracing iCloud and switching over my e-mail from Gmail. In the couple years I've had my Gmail account, NEVER has it been down for me. It's one of those services that I just expect to be up 100% of the time.

So they don't even have a development environment for testing? If that's the case, Apple's services are in worse shape than anyone could imagine.

Am I the only one who seems to allows have iMessage problems. I will be talking to someone and messages will fail and they want me to resend as text so I do and they work then it switches back to iMessage again does it all again. It's annoying

Up to now I can't download from the app store... it started to do so yesterday evening....

Since much of the Apple network traffic is being affected, I still think it might be a cyber attack on Apple.

scaredpoet
Apr 12, 2013, 03:08 PM
Oh and please: take data integrity a bit more serious. HFS+ is a subpar filesystem and an iMac with 32GB RAM should be able to run ZFS or another data integrity checking and fixing filesystem in the 21st century.

Aside from this having nothing to do with iMessage, what exactly do you think is wrong with HFS+ that makes it subpar or lacking data integrity? It supports transparent encryption, POSIX file permissions and ACLs, Journalling, 8 Exabyte file sizes...

Of course if you really want to use ZFS on a Mac, you can (http://code.google.com/p/maczfs/).

sik08amg
Apr 12, 2013, 03:15 PM
It's been hit or miss in Miami...like 1 of 20 fails. Usually works on resend.

NY Guitarist
Apr 12, 2013, 03:39 PM
I had iMessage issues the other day, but none today.

But, as others have mentioned, downloads from the App Store are not working.

In general though iMessage has been very reliable for me and all those I communicate with who use it.

Bubba Satori
Apr 12, 2013, 06:03 PM

Since much of the Apple network traffic is being affected, I still think it might be a cyber attack on Apple.

http://pumapac.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/tinfoil.jpg

PinoyAko
Apr 12, 2013, 07:12 PM
First world country issues!

CrickettGrrrl
Apr 12, 2013, 09:31 PM

I think you are right, there's a massive attack underway on servers globally, with a ton in the US targeted. More than 90,000 distinctive IP addresses are attempting to brute force admin credentials, and a quite a fair percentage succeeding.

From an Ars commenter "According to Matthew Prince - CEO of CloudFlare - the botnet can attempt 2 billion different password combinations in 1 hour."

Here's the link to the article --the comments are extremely interesting:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/04/huge-attack-on-wordpress-sites-could-spawn-never-before-seen-super-botnet/

This attack is slowing down the whole internet.

alksion
Apr 12, 2013, 10:08 PM
I'm having issues now.. Sucks

Plutonius
Apr 12, 2013, 11:56 PM
I think you are right, there's a massive attack underway on servers globally, with a ton in the US targeted. More than 90,000 distinctive IP addresses are attempting to brute force admin credentials, and a quite a fair percentage succeeding.

From an Ars commenter "According to Matthew Prince - CEO of CloudFlare - the botnet can attempt 2 billion different password combinations in 1 hour."

Here's the link to the article --the comments are extremely interesting:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/04/huge-attack-on-wordpress-sites-could-spawn-never-before-seen-super-botnet/

This attack is slowing down the whole internet.

My company was hit the other week. I'm not pointing fingers but the created user accounts were in Chinese.

We all know how unhappy the Chinese government is with Apple so I think they could be behind it if it's a cyber attack.

H2SO4
Apr 13, 2013, 01:11 AM
Have been on the phone with Apple for several hours trying to figure it out.
Always think it's odd when I hear this. I mean really? I'm under the impression you've spent maybe five hours with tech support for this one problem?

dtuck90
Apr 13, 2013, 07:13 AM
I had a strange issue yesterday where iMessages from email addresses would only got to my iPad and Mac and not my iPhone. Not sure if it works today.

CrickettGrrrl
Apr 13, 2013, 08:10 AM
My company was hit the other week. I'm not pointing fingers but the created user accounts were in Chinese.

We all know how unhappy the Chinese government is with Apple so I think they could be behind it if it's a cyber attack.

I don't think that Apple is their sole objective but it would be a huge coup to get control of some Apple servers for this massive "super botnet" they're trying to assemble. I read that US banks were under attack again, but they're probably not the only organizations, this attack is massive. They're also installing back doors, so it could be like that Chinese spy bot that was exposed recently which had been operating largely undetected for at least 4 years.

Anyway, I was seeing a lot of lag with various web sites for the past 3 days and some WordPress sites wouldn't load at all.

Some people were seeing Ukrainian IP's in their logs --but those could be spoofed as well. However, a major Ukrainian hacker was roped in by the FBI, Russian & Ukrainian police recently --it would be interesting if that initiated this proof-of-concept strike in retaliation.

Mlrollin91
Apr 13, 2013, 10:35 AM
Always think it's odd when I hear this. I mean really? I'm under the impression you've spent maybe five hours with tech support for this one problem?

About 3.5 hours between the two restores + restoring from backup, being transferred a few times, being called back and on hold time really added up. I started at like 5:30am time and didn't finish until almost 9am. Yes, not 5 hours, so technically not several, but still 3.5 hours is a long, long time to be on the phone for technically support.

ben123456
Apr 13, 2013, 03:45 PM
Oh I thought it was just me. I uninstalled BiteSMS thinking it may have been that.

I thought it was just Bite also but I guess not!

koban4max
Apr 14, 2013, 07:58 PM
POS backend obviously.

Why would I trust iCloud documents in the cloud again?
Oh right, I don't.

Dayum, Apple. Fix your internet operations.
Google's penetrating your turf - design, whilst you're slacking getting internet operations working.

It's not all just nice new candy features that look pretty.

Not everyone connects to the same server.

Glassed Silver:mac

apple has been a failure since job's death...what more can we say?

Steve.P.JobsFan
Apr 15, 2013, 05:12 PM
"It just works!"

More like "It just breaks!"

ColdCase
Apr 15, 2013, 11:17 PM
Been down for over 10 hours for me today.... :mad:

TC25
Apr 19, 2013, 11:27 AM
...what more can we say?

Perhaps some more simplistic, thought-free statements?

koban4max
Apr 19, 2013, 05:43 PM
Perhaps some more simplistic, thought-free statements?

that was.