Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pebble, the e-paper smart watch that earned more than $10 million on Kickstarter, now has an official public SDK available for iOS developers.
Your patience has been rewarded...you have a brand new Pebble Smartwatch in your hands. And, of course, now you want to make it do your bidding.

This developer documentation will show you how to create your own functionality for a Pebble Smartwatch.
pebblesmartwatch.jpg

At this point in time the SDK is limited to creating different watch faces and does not support the creation of standard apps, though the Pebble website says that a Sports SDK will be added soon, allowing developers to incorporate Runkeeper-style features.

The new Watchface SDK comes alongside version 1.10 of PebbleOS, which also offers up options for disabling backlighting and vibrations along with several bug fixes for iOS users.

Article Link: Developers Get Access to Official Pebble Watchface SDK

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
on a side note, how the hell is my 20 year old casio watch still working with the same battery?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Lol, at first I thought it read: Developers get access to iWatch SDK. Looks like I got my hopes up :D

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I'm not sure what developers are supposed to do with this? Make a different clock face? :confused:

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Why Bother Apple will just pull it

Why even bother to develop for it. Apple will just pull it IF/when they come out with their magical iWatch.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Still waiting for my colored Pebbles. My patience certainly had not been rewarded. Seriously wondering if Apple will announce a watch before Pebble completes its Kickstarter fulfillment. Glad I eBayed my two black ones while there was a market for them.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
They support development on Mac OS and Linux, but not Windows? My how far we've come. :p Although their solution seems to be loading Ubuntu in Virtualbox, Cygwin would probably work too.

May have to get one of these watches. My developer curiosity is almost unbearable!

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Still eagerly anticipating my watch. They're having some difficulty manufacturing the colored ones.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
He wants to see the weather and time with a quick glance at his wrist..?

I know each person lives their life differently, but I don't get this at all. If I'm outside all I need to do is look AWAY from my wrist to see what the weather is. Otherwise, if I'm planning on doing something that is weather dependent, I can certainly take 30 seconds to look at my phone and make a decision (coat or no). Why on earth would I need a moment-by-moment display of the weather?

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
I know each person lives their life differently, but I don't get this at all. If I'm outside all I need to do is look AWAY from my wrist to see what the weather is. Otherwise, if I'm planning on doing something that is weather dependent, I can certainly take 30 seconds to look at my phone and make a decision (coat or no). Why on earth would I need a moment-by-moment display of the weather?

Can't relate? I could see how someone would rather take the split second to look at their wrist for some info rather than taking their phone out of their pocket...

You could make the same argument about people that wear normal watches.. I don't wear one, but I do understand why people like them.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
One thing I really dislike about the people on this forum is that before there was any murmur about the "iWatch" we had threads like this https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1359792/.

Post iWatch rumours and we have complaints that only our savior Apple can fix.
Kinda embarrassing to see.

I wasn't one of them at least... I fully support this watch, but knowing Apple, they may surprise us with unexpected features or design. It could also just turn into another Apple hobby...

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Can't relate? I could see how someone would rather take the split second to look at their wrist for some info rather than taking their phone out of their pocket...

You could make the same argument about people that wear normal watches.. I don't wear one, but I do understand why people like them.

A watch I can understand, though I also don't wear one, because it's much more relevant to on a relatively regular basis to know what the current time is, e.g. how much longer until my next meeting. I'm not going to miss something important if I'm not constantly paying attention to the weather. Like I said, everyone is different, but when you're desperate to get a device so that you don't have to pull another device out of your pocket, to me that seems kind of strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.