Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedimind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Is there noticeable difference between the two? Also how much faster is the i7 processor with the same specs compared to the i5? Would truly appreciate the info.

Also, would appreciate the experience of those who've worked with media creation on their Mac Mini.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
if you are doing high intensive CPU tasks, there will be a difference, if not then no. if i had to choose between more ram or more cpu (assuming a budget) then id go with more ram, again this all depends on your use. my only intense cpu usage is when using handbrake

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
The 2.3 i7 is approximately twice as fast as the 2.5 i5, assuming you are running a program that can utilize all of the cores effectively.

biosol

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
Not exactly the same, but I am moving from a 2011 base model, Core i5 dual core with 8GB of RAM, HDD, to a 2012 mid model, Core i7, 16GB of RAM with SSD.

The 2011 ran the Mac OS well, but you can feel the (5400) HDD slowing things down a little. I had a couple VMs on it and it was ok. Seemed like if you're just using the Mac OS and RAM/CPU intensive tasks, it's pretty good. I just wanted more speed. So moving to the new system and running the VMs off a USB3 7,200 RPM drive.

For what it's worth.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The way I see it (and I realize my opinion is probably different from others'), the best option is to get the most powerful CPU available, and worry about the RAM later on.

You can always add more RAM later.

But the CPU of the Mini is "fixed in stone". Once bought, you can't change it.

For that reason, my advice is to get the i7 (the 2.6ghz version if you are willing to pay for it), and only add more RAM if you find it necessary...

jedimind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Appreciate all the help fellas. I took from each post on this thread and it gave me a clearer perspective on the route to follow soon.

The reason I made this thread was because, long story short, I was trading my 2009 MacBook Pro for my friend's 2.3/16gb i5 and thought about selling it once I got it and paying the difference for the 2.5. So I took it and so far it's performing great for what I need it to. Until I stumble with a reason to upgrade, I'll stay put.

Appreciate the time and the information shared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.