Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I'm running a 2010 iMac 27 and am in desperate need for a gaming mouse solution.

About a year ago, when Diablo III came out, I purchased the Razer Naga Hex, as Razer was the only gaming mouse company I could find with native OS X support. Set that up on a Razer Sphex gaming surface and all was well...for about 5 months.

After 5 months, things started to get weird with the mouse. I have many tracking and pointer issues with this mouse...moving the mouse normally at times results in the pointer moving, then stopping, then moving again, in a very jerky fashion. It acted exactly like a ball mouse that had a large piece of dirt stuck inside, if you can imagine that. Sometimes the pointer refuses to move either vertically or horizontally. Sometimes the pointer refuses to move at all (however, left and right click both function). At first I thought my gaming surface or laser was dirty, and after cleaning it I noticed the same issues. The only thing that remedies these issues is if I unplug/replug the USB cable (which is directly in the back of the iMac, not on a USB hub). After that, the mouse works great for a couple of hours before experiencing the same issues. Not to mention, the Synapse software is terrible.

I've dealt with it this entire time, but over the last week my scroll wheel click is malfunctioning as well. It refuses to register clicks unless I use a bit of force on it. Opening new tabs in a browser fails constantly, and I can forget about using it in any game. This appears to be a permanent issue, as disconnecting the USB cable does not solve it.

So I need recommendations for gaming mice that function natively in OS X. There aren't very many, I know. I just need to get away from Razer. Their Synapse software is hideous, this mouse has way too many issues with tracking, and while I understand I likely got a defective one, I shouldn't have to replace an 80 dollar gaming mouse less than a year into owning it. I've looked at Logitech but they don't list OS X as supported, and I really don't want to have to deal with third party apps or System Panel extensions to enable buttons and such. Any help?

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I use a Logitech Performance MX.

The buttons work fine in OS X without any software. You can assign them to Expose/Mission Control, they all show up and "just work". Likewise, they work in games that support extra buttons (if the game doesn't support extra buttons at all, then no mouse is going to work for you).

If you need macro support under OS X, I'd highly recommend buying a license for ControllerMate to fulfill that requirement. CM is one of the best damned programs I've ever used on a Mac, especially when it comes to configuring macros and actions for USB peripherals. You can rig up just about anything you can dream of with the node editor. IMHO, a solid mouse + ControllerMate = one of the most powerful setups you could wish for.

As far as other mice go, I never found anything that I felt totally satisfied with under OS X. The Razer mice are all crap, especially with that abomination they're peddling as Synapse 2.0 these days. The MadCatz Cyborg unit is OK, but bloody expensive and not all the buttons are operable under OS X OOTB (they're using a custom USB communication protocol for them, don't ask me why) and the native OS X software sucks. SteelSeries has some interesting hardware, especially the Sensei, but once again their OS X software is stupendously bloated, slow, and unstable (apparently this is a common requirement for mice these days?).

-SC

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I've been using a Razer Deathadder mouse for over a year now (before D3 released and ever since), and I've never had the slightest issue. The only difference with the OPs experience is that I never installed any 3rd party drivers/software.

I'm using the native standard OS X driver (whatever that is) which also offers support for the 2 extra buttons on the sides (meaning I just plugged the mouse). Mind that I don't even use it on a direct usb port, but instead it is plugged in the keyboard's usb. Zero problems so far. By NOT using 3rd party s/w and drivers I also never ran onto a problem with any other mouse in the past, including Logitech's and Microsoft's.

FWIW, I think Razor make the best mice out there, especially for the hands of a gamer.

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I also use a Logitech Performance MX and I'm very happy with it.

Yep it's the main mouse on my Mac and has been reliable and stable. Build quality is decent, mine has been in use a year+ now and it works and looks like new.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I also use Razer Deathadder without any drivers and it's great :) But this is probably of no help to you OP.

nmesbah

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
I've had a steelseries sensei for a while now and haven't had any problems with it. A few months ago they finally released the desktop software for the mac, which mostly works and has a bunch of nice features like settings that change automatically depending on what program is open and custom macros for buttons. I happen to have a bootcamp partition just to play games in, so I use it 25% windows / 75% mac, and it performs well in both. They have two versions: one with an onboard arm chip and an lcd so you can select profiles on the fly without needing software on the computer; and a cheaper one without the onboard processor which is the better choice unless you do tournament play, IMHO.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I am also currently using the Performance MX and it works fine in most cases. I actually have no issue with Razer mice, but I prefer wireless and the Razer wireless mice suck on battery life.

As for Logitech, their gaming line is now supported on OSX. This is a recent development (probably the last week or so) and had it been that way before I probably would have tried out the G700 over the MX. So if you like Logitech you may want to take a second look at their G series line as now have Mac software for it.

Steelseries is another option as I believe most if not all their mice have Mac support/software. For me Steelseries was not an option since their only wireless offering is the WoW mouse. A wireless Ikari would probably be my dream mouse...

For me, i'm going to give the Logitech G700s a try and take the new Mac software for a spin.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
I have a cyborg mmo 7 mouse and its not bad. Has software support so I can program the buttons on it. Six modes to switch to, so I have set up for now just gaming and desktop usage.

Blaquespell

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Which model ? I see they have a few.

I have the standard Sensei, the one with the metal casing on the top. I first tried a Sensei [RAW], but I had serious issues booting into Boot Camp with it. Steelseries was nice enough to swap it for the standard one.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
The Sensei is a good mouse, and the drivers are finally out for OS X, so you don't have to go the third party route. It can be a bit bigger than some other mice though, so if you have small hands, beware.

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Thanks all. Going to heavily look into the Sensei. Also, apparently Logitech has a new line of gaming mice coming out in the next few weeks, but so far I can't tell if they have native OS X software support.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Also, apparently Logitech has a new line of gaming mice coming out in the next few weeks, but so far I can't tell if they have native OS X software support.

Those mice have been out for a couple weeks, and there is OS X compatible software that works surprisingly well. About the only thing the software does not support is assigning application switching (command+tab) to a single button. This feature is not programmed in, and creating a macro doesn't work.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1564776/

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Welp, woke up this morning, started up the iMac, and my Razer mouse is completely dead. Buttons still work, but I'm getting no tracking whatsoever out of the laser. I've tried everything, different USB ports, restarting, and nothing worked. I even tried plugging it into a windows laptop and my macbook, same results.

Mouse is totally dead. Never buying a Razer product ever again. Terrible.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Welp, woke up this morning, started up the iMac, and my Razer mouse is completely dead. Buttons still work, but I'm getting no tracking whatsoever out of the laser. I've tried everything, different USB ports, restarting, and nothing worked. I even tried plugging it into a windows laptop and my macbook, same results.

Mouse is totally dead. Never buying a Razer product ever again. Terrible.

Before calling them terrible have you contacted them and asked if they will replace it under warranty? All Razer mice have a 2 or 1 year warranty depending on the model.

I had a Razer mouse that failed and they sent me a new one and asked if I could send them the dead one so they could take it apart and see what failed. Their support was actually first class in every way both as a developer and a normal customer.

As your mouse started failing after only 5 months I would contact them explain what happened and when and ask if they can organise a replacement, you should have a brand new replacement in no time.

http://www.razerzone.com/warranty

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.