PDA

View Full Version : Applications installing in root instead of user folder?

dapitts08
Apr 13, 2013, 07:35 AM
so i have a late 2012 mac mini in which i installed an ssd alongside the 1TB internal it came with.

i am using the ssd as the boot drive and installing all of my apps there.

all media is being stored on the 1TB internal.

i just noticed that my apps are installing on the root of the ssd and not in a user folder.

for isntance my path to applications is as follows: mini ssd/applications/allmyapps

i assume my path should be: mini ssd/users/myusername/applications/empty

if i leave it as is will i run into problems?

if so, how do i change the default install location for apps?

justperry
Apr 13, 2013, 07:53 AM
/Applications is how it has always been, reason is it should be accessible for All Users, not just one User.

dapitts08
Apr 13, 2013, 10:42 AM
/Applications is how it has always been, reason is it should be accessible for All Users, not just one User.

lmao...thanks! i'm tripping ... don't know why i thought the default locations was under users

justperry
Apr 13, 2013, 10:47 AM
lmao...thanks! i'm tripping ... don't know why i thought the default locations was under users

Guess you had a brainfart:p

BUT, there are Apps which do just that, parallels installs Windows linked Apps there and Android also does, but those are the only ones I know of.

Bear
Apr 14, 2013, 08:28 AM
Guess you had a brainfart:p

BUT, there are Apps which do just that, parallels installs Windows linked Apps there and Android also does, but those are the only ones I know of.Parallels does that because the Windows linked apps are based on what you have in your VM which is per user.