Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
I've taken quite a few good pics since picking up the photography hobby just around Christmas. I have a few pics that I would like to have printed and then frame and hang on the wall of my office.

I'm curious who you all use to make prints? Online? Or something like Walgreens/CVS, etc...

Also, I'm not sure how large a photo I can print without losing image quality. Is there a chart that might show file size vs. print size? I shoot on JPEG fine, large. I think most pics are in the 6-10 MB range?

Thanks!

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I'm not the most knowledgable about this, but from my basic understanding, if you are saving for printing at 150 pixels per inch, that will dictate how large you can print your shots with the lowest print quality.

So if you have a picture that is 1500 x 1500 pixels, you could print it at 10 x 10 inches at 150 pixels per inch. If that same picture were saved for printing at 300 pixels per inch, it would be 5 x 5 inches when printed.

In regard of who to use, let us know where you are and I'm sure there will be some one who can recommend a place or two for you.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
I'm not the most knowledgable about this, but from my basic understanding, if you are saving for printing at 150 pixels per inch, that will dictate how large you can print your shots with the lowest print quality.

So if you have a picture that is 1500 x 1500 pixels, you could print it at 10 x 10 inches at 150 pixels per inch. If that same picture were saved for printing at 300 pixels per inch, it would be 5 x 5 inches when printed.

In regard of who to use, let us know where you are and I'm sure there will be some one who can recommend a place or two for you.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I personally choose AdoramaPix as my favorite. Diverse finish options, from glossy to metallic, and tons of sizes.
Also, I don't know of any other online print service that accepts TIFF source files with utmost care in color accuracy.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I personally use ProDPI to print out my images. They offer a lot different print finishes and services, and they're pretty affordable IMO. You upload the images to their site and you usually will receive prints back by the end of the week. If you are looking for something quicker, you can look at Mpix, or your local Walgreen's and/or Costco stores.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Believe it or not Wallmart actually do a pretty good job, and cheap too...Not sure if it's available in all the stores though....Worth checking if there is one in AZ near you that provides the service.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I use the little shop on the corner between my apartment and campus. They have a Fuji digital lab. The lady takes my photos off a USB stick, and I tell her what I want done with each. She sorts it and the machine whirrs into action. A few minutes later I pay cash, and toddle out happy with my prints.

Try it folks; it is good to deal with real people.

I have never done any business on-line, don't have a credit card, and tend to shy away from malls with shops that employ robots.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Hi Woodynorman - I've used AdoramaPix and have been quite pleased w/ their service (of course, there will be plenty of other recommendations) - as to size vs. quality of the print a simple google search will give you plenty of information (e.g. CHECK HERE) - in general, a 1-2 MP (megapixel) size will give you a decent 5x7" print, twice that will be fine for an 8x10" print - the latter is what I've been using for printing and framing my photos. Let us know your experience - Dave :)

I personally choose AdoramaPix as my favorite. Diverse finish options, from glossy to metallic, and tons of sizes.
Also, I don't know of any other online print service that accepts TIFF source files with utmost care in color accuracy.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I have used Adorama quite a bit and been happy with them. I just placed a $1500 order with Bay Photo but have not worked with them before. I'm a bit nervous to see the prints that should show up today and tomorrow.

I've also been looking into Aspen Creek Photo for when I want to do some Fuji Crystal Archive prints.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. I thought I would try Costco, as I am a member and have one about a mile from my house. Plus, I like instant gratification, so this was perfect. I uploaded them to the website, and picked em up a couple hours later. I got mostly 8x10's. I'm happy with the way they look, except for this one, which got cropped a bit, so the cactus is real close to the edge of the pic.

I just have to go find a bunch of frames now..

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Not sure if you have this company in the US but Photobox.com is the best for prints here in the UK.

I've tried Snapfish and others but Photobox is the best quality.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Believe it or not Wallmart actually do a pretty good job, and cheap too...Not sure if it's available in all the stores though....Worth checking if there is one in AZ near you that provides the service.
I'd be worried about what type of paper and such.

I had some photos done at costco. They faded over time.

I've taken quite a few good pics since picking up the photography hobby just around Christmas. I have a few pics that I would like to have printed and then frame and hang on the wall of my office.

I'm curious who you all use to make prints? Online? Or something like Walgreens/CVS, etc...

Also, I'm not sure how large a photo I can print without losing image quality. Is there a chart that might show file size vs. print size? I shoot on JPEG fine, large. I think most pics are in the 6-10 MB range?

Thanks!
Who to use depends on the paper and process they use to print the images. Sometimes (i will admit not always) it is worth paying a bit more for something. It might be worth using a few of the recommended places and see which one you like best. I actually do my own printing now and I prefer that.

As for size, it all depends on the quality of the image. I had a few images from a 6 MP camera that I was able to get good 20 by 30 inch prints from. I used a Kodak lab for this several years ago.

Last edited:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Just to follow up on my above post.

The prints from Bay were excellent. They did, however, make a mistake. I ordered two framed aluminum and they forgot to frame them. :eek: They corrected the mistake without question and I get to keep they extra metal prints.

I will be using them again.

Glad Costco worked out for you. Enjoy your new hobby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.