PDA

View Full Version : How do Android developers get around piracy and make money

kgames
Apr 13, 2013, 09:39 PM
Iam wondering how do developers get around the piracy on android, I posted in another section but just found out this is the proper place to ask. I seen this articule http://androidprirates.blogspot.com/ and it talks a little about piracy and what the problem for developers are. So how do you make money on android platform and defeat piracy.

Dr McKay
Apr 13, 2013, 09:47 PM
Either put ads in it, and hope the user doesn't have add block. Or the best method would be to make it freemium. Free to download but offer in-app purchases, if they're things like game currency for items those can't be pirated.

hyteckit
Apr 13, 2013, 09:59 PM
That's the problem wth the Android marketplace. Although there are a lot more Android devices than iOS devices worldwide, iOS apps generate 400% more revenue than Android apps.

Apple accounts for 80% of the app store revenue.
Google acconts for 20% of the app store revenue.

iOS users are a lot more likely to buy apps than Android users.

And from my own experience with the Android marketplace, it's a freaking mess because of Android fragmentation.

Lots of Android apps don't even run on my Android devices.

hyteckit
Apr 13, 2013, 10:31 PM
Here's an article from Ad Age.

http://adage.com/article/digital/google-s-gains-apple-reigns-app-economy/239021/

"For every dollar a developer makes on iOS, they can expect to make $0.24 on Android for the same title," said Peter Farago, VP-marketing for mobile-analytics firm Flurry. "Just because there are more users on Android, doesn't mean [developers] will make more. They'll make less. … If you and I were making an app tomorrow, I'd say we should build for iOS first."

TacticalDesire
Apr 13, 2013, 10:59 PM
Make a good app. I do not condone piracy though.

maflynn
Apr 14, 2013, 07:52 AM

Making a good app is the problem in a sense. Popular apps are more likely to be stolen because more people want them.

Donvald
Apr 14, 2013, 08:20 AM
Piracy has always existed and always will. The best apps still succeed. I compare it to PC gaming. The great games still sell well. The argument that earnings are lost per pirated download is wishful thinking on behalf of PC Devs and I suspect the same is true elsewhere. A pirated app or game does not necessarily mean a lost sale.

We live in a digital age and piracy is a part of that. Make your product attractive enough and people will buy it. If its rubbish it won't even be pirated.

cynics
Apr 14, 2013, 08:54 AM
Same way you stop jail breakers from stealing apps. You don't. There has always been piracy and there always will.

Make a good app and I'll download it on either iOS or Android. Make a crappy version for either OS and don't be surprised when I don't buy it.

Android has a 15 minute app return. So if you see it sucks you can immediately return it. I've used that several time. However iOS doesn't so I've got burned several times and I'll just delete it. It's like buying something then immediately throwing it in the trash, very wasteful. So now I'll read reviews more.

Back to piracy, its my opinion if an app is good enough and fairly priced people will buy it. If you steal it and sideload it you won't get app updates so you have to continually steal it which sucks. You don't get any tech support either. Tightening app security usually only hurts the people that actually buying it then battling with lock codes and such. But I think the most effective is a trial version of that app with an unlock app that you purchase within the app.

Dave.UK
Apr 14, 2013, 10:19 AM
That's the problem wth the Android marketplace. Although there are a lot more Android devices than iOS devices worldwide, iOS apps generate 400% more revenue than Android apps.

Apple accounts for 80% of the app store revenue.
Google acconts for 20% of the app store revenue.

iOS users are a lot more likely to buy apps than Android users.

And from my own experience with the Android marketplace, it's a freaking mess because of Android fragmentation.

Lots of Android apps don't even run on my Android devices.

Got some links to back up those figures?

Also, I cant see how you call the Android Marketplace a mess. Only apps that will run on your version of Android are displayed.

Same old usual FUD you spread.

andy9l
Apr 14, 2013, 10:29 AM
Piracy only appears to be a serious issue to you, because you're the kinda guy who uses Internet forums - you are aware how easy and relatively safe it is to pirate apps. You're more tech savvy than the majority of users.

The vast majority of consumers will not know how to pirate apps, won't want to risk it (scared by the media), or will be like me and I assume yourself - nice people who pay, instead of thieve.

I've rooted, and flashed my GS3 with a custom ROM, but I still always pay for my apps through the Play Store. Fortunately, I don't use many "paid apps", and almost all of them cost under £1.99 each.

nfl46
Apr 14, 2013, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I was just thinking about that. You can basically google the program .apk and boom, install it...

hexonxonx
Apr 14, 2013, 04:03 PM
I wonder why there is supposedly more piracy on Android. I have paid for every app that I could that allowed me to, to remove ads. Any other apps that cost, I paid for including TomTom.

On the iPhone, I admit I used plenty of apps found on other sites including TomTom. I know of several forums and sites like apptrackr that allow people to download any app for free.

iPad5
Apr 14, 2013, 04:15 PM
Blame apps like uTorrent and such, AndroidOS encourages pirating.

MacRumorUser
Apr 14, 2013, 04:18 PM
The ability to install .apk from third party sources too. There are numerous marketplace google play apps that have been modified to allow people to download any application without being charged....

hexonxonx
Apr 14, 2013, 04:19 PM
Blame apps like uTorrent and such, AndroidOS encourages piracy.

Blame them for pirated Apple apps as well. Read my post above. I can get any app for free on my iPhone today if I wanted to.

Michael Goff
Apr 14, 2013, 04:21 PM

Good apps get pirated more than bad apps. >_>;

Why would somebody pirate a bad app?

Radiating
Apr 14, 2013, 04:22 PM
Iam wondering how do developers get around the piracy on android, I posted in another section but just found out this is the proper place to ask. I seen this articule http://androidprirates.blogspot.com/ and it talks a little about piracy and what the problem for developers are. So how do you make money on android platform and defeat piracy.

Piracy doesn't reduce app sales. In fact most studies show piracy increases sales. If someone has enough resistance to paying a few bucks for an ap to go to the trouble of pirating it there is little chance they would pay for it if they couldn't pirate it. They just won't download it at all.

However if you let your app get pirated some people may come back and actually buy it and it may become more popular.

In fact developers have actually studied the sale of apps after they uploaded their own pirated copies to torrent sites and they made MORE money not less.

The only time anyone has ever shown that piracy reduces developer profit is when an app requires cloud computing, and the pirated copies take up too many resources form the developer.

TacticalDesire
Apr 14, 2013, 04:30 PM
Good apps get pirated more than bad apps. >_>;

Why would somebody pirate a bad app?

People are more likely to buy a good app than a bad one...

MacRumorUser
Apr 14, 2013, 04:50 PM
Piracy doesn't reduce app sales. In fact most studies show piracy increases sales. If someone has enough resistance to paying a few bucks for an ap to go to the trouble of pirating it there is little chance they would pay for it if they couldn't pirate it. They just won't download it at all.

However if you let your app get pirated some people may come back and actually buy it and it may become more popular.

In fact developers have actually studied the sale of apps after they uploaded their own pirated copies to torrent sites and they made MORE money not less.

The only time anyone has ever shown that piracy reduces developer profit is when an app requires cloud computing, and the pirated copies take up too many resources form the developer.

Many pirates use this argument of fictitious surveys that point to them 'doing a favour' to the industry to justify piracy....

iPad5
Apr 14, 2013, 04:54 PM
This is why Android caters to a price-conscious individuals, a.k.a. cheapo

adnbek
Apr 14, 2013, 08:49 PM

Sounds like hogwash aimed at justifying piracy. I think the Pirate Bay likes to use that argument as well.

It is a FACT that piracy hurts sales. To say otherwise it just blatant lying.

Radiating
Apr 14, 2013, 09:42 PM
Sounds like hogwash aimed at justifying piracy. I think the Pirate Bay likes to use that argument as well.

It is a FACT that piracy hurts sales. To say otherwise it just blatant lying.

Yes it's a FACT. If by "FACT" you something that research shows is the exact opposite of the truth. I'm sure government organizations, respected news sources, and research institutes are LYING too, because, huh?

Study finds piracy increases sales:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/bittorrent-piracy-increases-sales-of-leaked-albums-study/

Piracy increases sales by 3 fold for obscure products:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/03/15/is-pirating-the-new-advertising/

Japanese government report that piracy of Anime increases, not decreases DVD sales:

http://www.osnews.com/story/24376/Piracy_Increases_Anime_DVD_Sales_Study_Concludes

This took all of two seconds to put together, there are thousands of other examples.

thewitt
Apr 14, 2013, 11:09 PM
Software piracy does NOT increase sales. This is the biggest lie told by pirates - followed closely by "I will pirate it to try it then I'll pay if I like it."

roxxette
Apr 14, 2013, 11:41 PM
The ability to install .apk from third party sources too. There are numerous marketplace google play apps that have been modified to allow people to download any application without being charged....

Da fuq ! :eek:

Radiating
Apr 15, 2013, 12:24 AM
Software piracy does NOT increase sales. This is the biggest lie told by pirates - followed closely by "I will pirate it to try it then I'll pay if I like it."

Swiss government disagrees with you:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/12/05/swiss-government-study-finds-internet-downloads-increase-sales/

"a report commissioned by the Swiss government finds that people who download things online without paying for them actually end up spending more money than people who don’t. This applies to consumers of music, television, and video games."

Have you considered the possibility that when you charichtarize well studied demonstrable facts as lies you come off as extremely intelligent?

European Commission’s Joint Research Centre's study:

http://www.ibtimes.com/online-piracy-does-not-negatively-affect-digital-music-sales-may-actually-help-music-industry

"researchers note, “All of these results suggest that the vast majority of the music that is consumed illegally by the individuals in our sample would not have been legally purchased if illegal downloading websites were not available to them.”"

However illegal downloads improved exposure and increased sales.

North Carolina State University study:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/05/18/leaked.album.piracy.raised.sales.by.60.on.average/

“The findings suggest that file sharing of an album benefits its sales. I don't find any evidence of a negative effect in any specification using any instrument.”

In fact studies show that when a pirated copy of content is removed from a file sharing site you can actually show that it directly reduces sales, especially with small to medium popularity content.

Jessica Lares
Apr 15, 2013, 12:55 AM
Yeah, people pirate software because it costs too much. Don't believe me? That's pretty much why everyone used to pirate Photoshop. I've been pirating it since version 7. I didn't start paying for it until last year now that you can subscribe for it. And Adobe did very well this last year because of Creative Cloud.

Most people that pirate music import it into iTunes and keep it. I mean come on, how many countless times do we get post after post about people going "HELP! How do I backup the music from my iPod so I can put it back on iTunes since I deleted the copy on there?" Every damn month/week. Why can't they restore it from iCloud? Because they didn't buy it to begin with.

Piracy doesn't help at all. Stop lying to yourselves. We're in a decade where everything that could easily make you millions, is now considered a minimum wage job, because you either have everything you need to be successful, or you go nowhere because distributors and labels don't want to take a chance on you flopping and them losing their investment.

roxxette
Apr 15, 2013, 01:00 AM
Yeah, people pirate software because it costs too much. Don't believe me? That's pretty much why everyone used to pirate Photoshop. I've been pirating it since version 7. I didn't start paying for it until last year now that you can subscribe for it. And Adobe did very well this last year because of Creative Cloud.

Most people that pirate music import it into iTunes and keep it. I mean come on, how many countless times do we get post after post about people going "HELP! How do I backup the music from my iPod so I can put it back on iTunes since I deleted the copy on there?" Every damn month/week. Why can't they restore it from iCloud? Because they didn't buy it to begin with.

Piracy doesn't help at all. Stop lying to yourselves. We're in a decade where everything that could easily make you millions, is now considered a minimum wage job, because you either have everything you need to be successful, or you go nowhere because distributors and labels don't want to take a chance on you flopping and them losing their investment.

I did the same with Photoshop in the past but few months ago started using pixelmator and does everything i want at a fair price.

MacRumorUser
Apr 15, 2013, 01:21 AM
Da fuq ! :eek:

Yep I only know about it because folks over on XDA forums were giving out to a pirate who was complaining their hacked marketplace app was now out of date since the new PlayStore 4 redesign.

So yeah Googles openness does make indeed make it easier to pirate. Let alone the fact people can buy an app, and then extract it later (if they don't install) as its raw .apk and then share that on torrents and file sharing services so that others can install without issue....

I don't like DRM, but there certainly is plenty of sound reasoning for it when you look at how easy it is to distribute and pirate android applications.

----------

I always upgraded every other version because it was so damn expensive. :(
I did have to buy it always though as here in Ireland we have folks who have the right go round and inspect your hardware for legitimate software licenses if your a registered business.

Last year when Creative cloud came out with discount for previous owners I jumped as its still expensive but a lot cheaper overall and I get newest version all the time as opposed to every other version.

Dave.UK
Apr 15, 2013, 01:30 AM
This is why Android caters to a price-conscious individuals, a.k.a. cheapo

:rolleyes:

hexonxonx
Apr 15, 2013, 01:30 AM
Yep I only know about it because folks over on XDA forums were giving out to a pirate who was complaining their hacked marketplace app was now out of date since the new PlayStore 4 redesign.

So yeah Googles openness does make indeed make it easier to pirate. Let alone the fact people can buy an app, and then extract it later (if they don't install) as its raw .apk and then share that on torrents and file sharing services so that others can install without issue....

I don't like DRM, but there certainly is plenty of sound reasoning for it when you look at how easy it is to distribute and pirate android applications.

----------

DRM doesn't stop pirating on the Apple platform at all. I can right now go and download every single brand new current app on one site and load every single one onto my 4S without a single problem. It's just as easy to pirate on Apple devices as it is on Android. People seem to miss this for some reason. The site has every single new and old cracked app from the app store for iOS and Mac store.

In fact, it's easier on the Apple platform because the cracked apps are collected on one easy to use site where you can browse or search.

MacRumorUser
Apr 15, 2013, 01:40 AM
DRM doesn't stop pirating on the Apple platform at all. I can right now go and download every single brand new current app on one site and load every single one onto my 4S without a single problem. It's just as easy to pirate on Apple devices as it is on Android. People seem to miss this for some reason. The site has every single new and old cracked app from the app store for iOS and Mac store.

No its not as easy because it still requires the other folks have jailbroken devices so developers could implement a version check and only allow installation on newest version of iOS if the wished, but most don't.

But yeah on iOS the ripped application has to be modified to remove DRM / licensing and then those downloading have to be jailbroken etc...

Whereas on Android anyone can install from any third party sources with out Jailbreaking and anyone can distribute apps without modifying them. Google's platform openness makes it much easier, simply enable 1 option in settings.

So yeah even though piracy is also rife on iOS it certainly IS easier to pirate on Android than on iOS as on iOS your required to modify your devices software (via jailbreak) whereas Android doesn't. And likewise Androd apps don't need to be cracked, whereas iOS apps do.

There are also sites that have Android apps collected / listed together so that's not sole to iOS.

roxxette
Apr 15, 2013, 01:43 AM
People cant argue the fact that its easier to pirate apps on android than ios.

hexonxonx
Apr 15, 2013, 01:45 AM
No its not as easy because it still requires the other folks have jailbroken devices so developers could implement a version check and only allow installation on newest version of iOS if the wished, but most don't.

But yeah on iOS the ripped application has to be modified to remove DRM / licensing and then those downloading have to be jailbroken etc...

Whereas on Android anyone can install from any third party sources with out Jailbreaking and anyone can distribute apps without modifying them. Google's platform openness makes it much easier, simply enable 1 option in settings.

So yeah even though piracy is also rife on iOS it certainly IS easier to pirate on Android than on iOS as on iOS your required to modify your devices software (via jailbreak) whereas Android doesn't. And likewise Androd apps don't need to be cracked, whereas iOS apps do.

There are also sites that have Android apps collected / listed together so that's not sole to iOS.

OK, I'll change my reply to as long as you are Jailbroken, it is just as easy to pirate iOS and Mac apps as it is to pirate Android apps. To pirate Mac app store apps, all you need to do is download the app and click on it to install.

mib1800
Apr 15, 2013, 02:41 AM

If Android developer implements the "market license check" in their app, then it is not as simple as copying the apk into phones and install. So the mechanism is there to prevent piracy. Somehow not all developers make use of this. And you cannot bypass the license check easily (even with rooting)

As far as I know on IOS as long as you jailbreak you can install any .ipa files without issue. So it is not exactly difficult on IOS either.

nick_elt
Apr 15, 2013, 03:20 AM
its easier to pirate movies illegally than legally. i have an apple tv and dont mind paying for movies off that but the reality is there is much better range of illegal movies than legal ones. they need to release movies straight to digital forms because ppl will still goto the cinema if the movie is worth it.

Michael Goff
Apr 15, 2013, 09:28 AM
People are more likely to buy a good app than a bad one...

Is that why, show wise, Game of Thrones is one of the most pirated shows?

Because bad things are pirated more than good things, right?

nick_elt
Apr 15, 2013, 04:14 PM

i dont watch this particular show but if you live outside America and want to watch this as it comes out then your only option is pirating.

Michael Goff
Apr 15, 2013, 04:44 PM
i dont watch this particular show but if you live outside America and want to watch this as it comes out then your only option is pirating.

My point was more that good things get pirated more than bad things.

nick_elt
Apr 15, 2013, 04:57 PM
My point was more that good things get pirated more than bad things.

ah yes. how did i read that the first time??? im not even drunk!

Apollo 13
Apr 16, 2013, 01:30 AM
If Android developer implements the "market license check" in their app, then it is not as simple as copying the apk into phones and install. So the mechanism is there to prevent piracy. Somehow not all developers make use of this. And you cannot bypass the license check easily (even with rooting)

As far as I know on IOS as long as you jailbreak you can install any .ipa files without issue. So it is not exactly difficult on IOS either.

Sorry its not that easy. You don't just download a ipa off the internet and install like a apk file on your phone. Keep trying though.

hexonxonx
Apr 16, 2013, 01:32 AM
Sorry its not that easy. You don't just download a ipa off the internet and install like a apk file on your phone. Keep trying though.

If you are Jailbroken, yes it is that easy. Find the app you want, download it, drag it into iTunes and sync. Not sure how much easier it can than that but that is as easy as it gets.

Apollo 13
Apr 16, 2013, 05:57 AM
If you are Jailbroken, yes it is that easy. Find the app you want, download it, drag it into iTunes and sync. Not sure how much easier it can than that but that is as easy as it gets.

you have to be at a PC to do that and install itunes on the PC, so all that does is add steps compared to just downloading a .apk while on your android phone and installing the app. No matter how you try to push it pirating on android is so easy non tech savy person can do it.

nick_elt
Apr 16, 2013, 07:00 AM
you have to be at a PC to do that and install itunes on the PC, so all that does is add steps compared to just downloading a .apk while on your android phone and installing the app. No matter how you try to push it pirating on android is so easy non tech savy person can do it.

im sorry but that is not true. i have seen first hand cracked apps installed directly to an iphone. yes its much easier on android but if you're jailbroken and you know what to do its just as possible.

cynics
Apr 16, 2013, 10:00 AM
I've pirated apps to see if I liked them and they worked as described prior to buying them. Twonky for example. It's fairly expensive for an app (7.99 or something) so I downloaded and installed it off market. I tested it and liked it so I bought it.

What I did was wrong but I feel its more wrong to have me buy an app and it not work correctly then I'm stuck with it.

I do feel its easier to pirate apps on Android compared to iOS since rooting isn't required. However if you are the type of person that pirates software and media then a couple extra steps won't stop you. I know diehard Apple guys that still steal music. Making it harder just makes it more challenging for them, it doesn't deter them. Myself for example I don't particularly like buying music, so I don't have much/any. I use pandora. :)

sentinelsx
Apr 16, 2013, 10:10 AM
People cant argue the fact that its easier to pirate apps on android than ios.

With install0us gone, may be, but with that tool, i could get a free copy of any new shining app in a 2-3 day time frame which would install, and work on my idevice just fine and would sync back to itunes without a hitch.

For android, first you have to look for the files on torrents, or file sharing forums etc. Then make sure they are for the device model you have, then pray that they work because 50% of the times they will fail to work after installing.

Easy to copy may be, harder to functionally pirate in my view.

Any how, a good email client on android can still make millions if the developer cares enough to make it good. All the current ones are meh, the best one aka K-9 is hideous to look at and conflicts with proper device usage habits in post-ICS era, lacks proper pinch-zoom (which every other client lacks too except for gmail).

blackhand1001
Apr 16, 2013, 11:27 AM
The vast majority of android users don't even know what side loading is and would not know how to pirate an app (not counting china as that's where most piracy occurs and the iPhone has a very low market share there). There are plenty of paid apps that make money without an issue. A big thing that's important is that you follow holo UI guidelines and make it look like a native android app. People will pay extra for an app that looks like it shipped with the device. Its actually easiest to make apps this way but some developers refuse to read the documentation on how to do it. Luckily its becoming much more common. Even twitter has gone holo. I hope with Facebook recent venture in home that the main Facebook app goes for a native UI look using holo and the android action bar layouts.

nick_elt
Apr 16, 2013, 05:34 PM
With install0us gone, may be, but with that tool, i could get a free copy of any new shining app in a 2-3 day time frame which would install, and work on my idevice just fine and would sync back to itunes without a hitch.

For android, first you have to look for the files on torrents, or file sharing forums etc. Then make sure they are for the device model you have, then pray that they work because 50% of the times they will fail to work after installing.

Easy to copy may be, harder to functionally pirate in my view.

Any how, a good email client on android can still make millions if the developer cares enough to make it good. All the current ones are meh, the best one aka K-9 is hideous to look at and conflicts with proper device usage habits in post-ICS era, lacks proper pinch-zoom (which every other client lacks too except for gmail).

you dont need to goto torrent sites or file sharing forums. Google has all the answers.

sentinelsx
Apr 16, 2013, 07:41 PM
you dont need to goto torrent sites or file sharing forums. Google has all the answers.

Same thing. You are searching for a gameloft game for example (one of the most popular devs), first you google for the one for your model, then hope the link doesn't take you to a phishing/virus laden site, hope it actually works after install (success rate was around 60% in my experience, compared to 100% on ios) etc.

Install0us offered a "shadow AppStore" if you will, making the process of getting free apps a literally search and one click method. Just search your app, it comes up, you install it, and it works thanks to minimal fragmentation of idevices.

Apollo 13
Apr 16, 2013, 09:28 PM
im sorry but that is not true. i have seen first hand cracked apps installed directly to an iphone. yes its much easier on android but if you're jailbroken and you know what to do its just as possible.
Everything is true with my statement. You can't install an ipa on iphone without using some other type of program or a PC. The day you can download a ipa from the internet onto a jailbroken iphone piracy will be a problem.

sentinelsx
Apr 16, 2013, 10:22 PM
Everything is true with my statement. You can't install an ipa on iphone without using some other type of program or a PC. The day you can download a ipa from the internet onto a jailbroken iphone piracy will be a problem.

You don't need a PC to download and install the IPA directly on the iPhone.

roxxette
Apr 16, 2013, 10:58 PM

Well i guess its been a problem for years now :)

Explicitic
Apr 16, 2013, 11:44 PM

Jailbroken iOS devices have access to multiple app downloading applications dedicated to cracked apps. I could probably find every app available in the app store in one or two. Having an app that handles all the searching, downloading and installing is certainly easier than having to go to your web browser, load up Google, search for an application's APK, download it and install it, is it not? Plus, there's a big chance you won't even find the application because nobody has posted it or it simply doesn't work. The cracked apps available to iOS users far outnumbers Android.

TheHateMachine
Apr 17, 2013, 12:20 PM

There are ways that make pirated a very convoluted process and way more complicated than just searching for the apk and sideloading it. A few examples...

Square and Rockstar have some system where you cannot just sideload an apk. You basically have to root your phone, install something like titanium backup and then find a backup of a person who has already bought the game and hope that backed up apk works with your specific phone.

You can just use a call home licensing system for one time activation. Unless someone has broken Nitrodesk's key system there is no way to use Touchdown on an android device without buying a key.

I'm not 100% sure but I think alot of these garage devs are just making programs without using any of the licensing or DRM systems google makes available.

----------

Game of Thrones is a bit of a special case. George RR Martin stated in an interview with The Verge that a very sizable amount of the piracy for Game of Thrones comes out of Australia because new episodes do not go there until about 4 months after they air in the States. There are other countries that do not see new episodes until after US air times but their wait is not nearly as long and the piracy in those countries isn't as bad. He stated it is the biggest challenge that he feels HBO needs to overcome and how multinational entertainment launches like this usually suffer from the same problem in today's age.

He also stated with market research they seemed to find that a lot of piracy in Australia later converts to DVD sales so they still make their money in the end. I believe that good product's are typically paid for while poor ones are pirated. Even then the good products that get pirated convert into more revenue more often. Of course I am pulling this all on a hunch... ;)

teamjaycub
Apr 20, 2013, 01:02 PM
Same thing. You are searching for a gameloft game for example (one of the most popular devs), first you google for the one for your model, then hope the link doesn't take you to a phishing/virus laden site, hope it actually works after install (success rate was around 60% in my experience, compared to 100% on ios) etc.

Install0us offered a "shadow AppStore" if you will, making the process of getting free apps a literally search and one click method. Just search your app, it comes up, you install it, and it works thanks to minimal fragmentation of idevices.

Install0us and Installous are two different things. I think you meant installous.

SlCKB0Y
Apr 20, 2013, 07:11 PM
How do Windows developers get around piracy and make money?
How do Mac developers get around piracy and make money?
How do iOS developers get around piracy and make money?
:rolleyes:

----------

George RR Martin stated in an interview with The Verge that a very sizable amount of the piracy for Game of Thrones comes out of Australia because new episodes do not go there until about 4 months after they air in the States.

This is one of the reasons why Australia has one of the highest rates of piracy in the world in general.

Also, when that thing which took many months to finally get released does come out, it will frequently cost 50-100% more here than in the US (exchange rate and local taxes factored in).

sentinelsx
Apr 23, 2013, 10:58 AM
Install0us and Installous are two different things. I think you meant installous.

I believe it was spelled "Install0us" as it was impossible to otherwise search it in cydia. May be i am confusing hackul0us with installous though lol.

Anyhow, i believe that if most developers allow a trial version of their apps, piracy would go down further. Some people who always pirate will pirate no matter what platform, they have it ingrained in their minds. How about giving the rest of us another option who want to know if a certain app is worth spending on.