PDA

View Full Version : External identification of 2012 MBA

mrs1986
Apr 14, 2013, 06:51 AM
Hi all,

I'm about to buy a 2012 MBA, the laptop is claimed as new, and is supposed to be sealed not in the box but in the nylon it comes in the box.

My question is, how can I identify if it's a 2012 model? Of course he won't let me open and start it, because it won't be "new" again in case I don't want it...

I'm in uruguay and this thing is expensive... Just want to be shure whitout starting it up...

Thanks.

Bear
Apr 14, 2013, 08:13 AM
Just want to be shure whitout starting it up...

Thanks.Without starting it up, there is no guarantee that it is new or that it even works.

Mrbobb
Apr 14, 2013, 09:11 AM
On the bottom cover, there is a 5 characters model number that should uniquely identifies the laptop, AXXXX.

mrs1986
Apr 14, 2013, 09:15 AM
On the bottom cover, there is a 5 characters model number that should uniquely identifies the laptop, AXXXX.

Ok, thats what im looking for, something to look at and know if its 2012, if it is, of course i will open it and start it, but if its not, i just dont want it...

Thanks, im looking for that model number :D

Weaselboy
Apr 14, 2013, 09:44 AM
Ok, thats what im looking for, something to look at and know if its 2012, if it is, of course i will open it and start it, but if its not, i just dont want it...

Thanks, im looking for that model number :D

Here is a picture of the back of my 2012 MBA if that helps you. You can see the serial number on the right side there (I blurred mine out). Go to this page at Apple (https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do) and punch in that serial number and see what it says about the warranty coverage.

http://imgur.com/TLV3a84.png

mrs1986
Apr 14, 2013, 06:35 PM
Great!

I could find via everymac that the model number should be A1466. I will check the serial too.

Thanks!

mrs1986
Apr 19, 2013, 01:20 PM
Well, I'm a lucky man...

Long story short... This MBA cost 2000+ here at uruguay... This guy sells it for 1350, so is a laaaarge discount... I was skeptical... But found out later that the mac was a refurbished...

Anyway, was better than buying a used for the same price...

Got the laptop and opened the nylon today, it was still sealed... Boot it up and found out that it has Zero count cicles...

So, i got a refurbished that was probably a returned for specs change or something....

Anyway, happy as hell... Just need to do some things on it...

BTW is my first mac :)

Weaselboy
Apr 19, 2013, 01:39 PM
Well, I'm a lucky man...

Glad it worked out for you. That is a great deal!

stchman
Apr 19, 2013, 02:30 PM
Hi all,

I'm about to buy a 2012 MBA, the laptop is claimed as new, and is supposed to be sealed not in the box but in the nylon it comes in the box.

My question is, how can I identify if it's a 2012 model? Of course he won't let me open and start it, because it won't be "new" again in case I don't want it...

I'm in uruguay and this thing is expensive... Just want to be shure whitout starting it up...

Thanks.

If he won't let you even see it run, then how do you know it even works?

mrs1986
Apr 19, 2013, 03:59 PM
I need help, just got the mac, the wireless was super slow... So I found a solution that seemed to work, i had to delete some configuration files, now my machine says no wife hardware available...

What can i do? I'm such an idiot...

Weaselboy
Apr 19, 2013, 04:19 PM
I need help, just got the mac, the wireless was super slow... So I found a solution that seemed to work, i had to delete some configuration files, now my machine says no wife hardware available...

What can i do? I'm such an idiot...

Just do a command-r boot to recovery and reinstall the OS. That will replace whatever you messed up. This will not erase your data.

mrs1986
Apr 19, 2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks, I'm trying... Just hope this fix the problem...

Thanks...

Stingray454
Apr 25, 2013, 04:14 AM
Just as a tip for anyone else with the same question, the 2012 has a different power connector (magsafe 2) than the older ones.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/06/magsafe-apple-adapters.jpg