PDA

View Full Version : Can you pull parts from a mini?

XNine
Oct 24, 2005, 04:26 PM
To work in other computers. Say, the superdrive and the bluetooth/airport modules? Will this work? Or are they proprietary?

If so, I'm going back to my old PM with a Bluetooth module anmd upgrade superdrive. I'm tired of the low ram and worthless 5400 drive in the Mac mini.

Course, maybe it'd be cheaper to sell the mini and just buy these componants.

Err
Oct 24, 2005, 11:24 PM
If your PM has airpport extreme you can steal the airport card out of your mini off the expansion board, the superdrive wont fit.

Just sell the mini and buy a faster full size 60$ "super drive" from newegg.com and an airport card from apple, then send me the extra money please :D

OutThere
Oct 24, 2005, 11:37 PM
You might be able to swap out the superdrive, though the bluetooth will not be able to come out. It's hard wired into the USB system within the computer.

If you have any inclination of sticking with the Mini, why not get some more RAM off of Crucial.com and pick up a faster drive? You can get them really cheaply off of newegg.com, and installation isn't that terribly bad.

joecool85
Oct 25, 2005, 07:40 AM
He might already have a gb of ram. My G5 PM has 1gb ram and depending on what I'm doing it'll start racking the pageouts like crazy.

Bear
Oct 25, 2005, 08:58 AM
To work in other computers. Say, the superdrive and the bluetooth/airport modules? Will this work? Or are they proprietary?
...The slot loading SuperDrive from the mini will not work in a system expecting a tray loading drive. The form factor of the drive itself is different.

The Memory? That depends on what the other systems want. Also, remember some PowerMacs want memory in identical pairs/

Bluetooth & AirPort Extreme? depends on which version of the mini you have. On some minis, the Airport Extreme card is the seperate card, on the latest one it's a combo card. I think the only other Mac to use the combo card is the dual core G5 PowerMacs. (If I am reading things correctly.) And if it is a seperate card, is your PowerMac new enough to use an AirPort Extreme card? And who knows if the Blyetooth module would fit.

Sell the mono, buy the parts you want for the PowerMac.

XNine
Oct 25, 2005, 09:34 AM
Hmmm. interesting. looks like I'll be selling the mini then. Especially since I need money to get the Xbox 360... Which I'll have to stand in line for, since no one is accepting preorders for JUST the system.

My powermac has 1.5 GB RAM, and it's a 933 MHz machine.