PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Android challenge.

likemyorbs
Apr 14, 2013, 12:35 PM
So I've finally caved and ordered a LG Nexus 4 from Google. My sister and I are constantly arguing over Android VS iOS, and she's obviously the android fangirl. I've become a little bored with iOS lately and figured this would be a perfect time to give android a shot with no commitments and see which one I really like better. I'm a bit nervous to lose my beloved iOS features, and most importantly native access to my iCloud email account without the web browser. Do you guys think I will end up going back to iOS or will I stay with Android?

KaraH
Apr 14, 2013, 01:01 PM
So I've finally caved and ordered a LG Nexus 4 from Google. My sister and I are constantly arguing over Android VS iOS, and she's obviously the android fangirl. I've become a little bored with iOS lately and figured this would be a perfect time to give android a shot with no commitments and see which one I really like better. I'm a bit nervous to lose my beloved iOS features, and most importantly native access to my iCloud email account without the web browser. Do you guys think I will end up going back to iOS or will I stay with Android?

Android for the win!

Both my spouse and I have android phones. The jury is still out on whether an eventual pad would be an iPad or an android pad though.

IOS devices are nice but it has the usual apple markup. Which means work out what you need (not 'like') then see which one can do it (or do it the best).

likemyorbs
Apr 14, 2013, 01:03 PM
Cost is not really the factor here as I usually buy my phones sibsidized, this is my first unsubsizided phone.

daneoni
Apr 15, 2013, 07:08 AM
Been using the Nexus 4 and Jellybean for two weeks. Typing this post from both. Both are very good devices but most certainly not perfect. You'll find most of the apps you want now and things generally work smoothly. However in my opinion iOS still has the edge (albeit slight) in general fit and finish as well as integration. Things just work a tad 'smoother' and seamless on iOS.

That said Jellybean is responsive, fast, and virtually lag-free. Android has definitely come a long way. Also Android gives you a lot of flexibility some of which iOS would benefit from by adding.

In terms of hardware the iPhone has a better camera, screen and WiFi chip compared to the N4 and iPhone in general has a better camera of any android (or other platforms) phone fullstop. My Nexus has been having issues staying connected to my router. Hence I have to toggle on/off quite often.

Text editing (copy/paste) on Android is hands down inferior to iOS its the one thing that makes me want to rip my hair out

Outside of these issues I find Android to be relatively on par (or even better at times) with iOS.

That said I've RMA'd my Nexus and will be returning to iOS because of the issues listed above. IOS still the best for my uses.

The usual Apple markup? Is this why a new HTC DNA costs the same as an iPhone 5? And a Motorola Razr Max HD costs the same as an iPhone 5?

HTC is the same price as an iPhone too but the Galaxy S4 cost more than an iPhone unsubsidised.

sk1wbw
Apr 15, 2013, 07:13 AM
Android for the win!

Both my spouse and I have android phones. The jury is still out on whether an eventual pad would be an iPad or an android pad though.

IOS devices are nice but it has the usual apple markup. Which means work out what you need (not 'like') then see which one can do it (or do it the best).

The usual Apple markup? Is this why a new HTC DNA costs the same as an iPhone 5? And a Motorola Razr Max HD costs the same as an iPhone 5?

JHUFrank
Apr 15, 2013, 07:27 AM
What really sold me about Android, was that I was able to drop 2 devices and combine them into one. Well, at least in theory. I hate having to carry around a tablet, but the Galaxy Note 2 combined the needs of phone and tablet. Apple doesnt have anything close to that yet. However, exchange support in Android is pretty dismal compared to iOS, and yes, I use Touchdown.

KaraH
Apr 15, 2013, 10:14 AM

I was looking at a 16 GB android pad this weekend that was 329 and that one is considered high priced by reviewers. A 16 GB iPad 2 is 399. A 16 GB retina iPad is 499 and they skyrocket faster than ram costs if you want more memory than that.

Last I checked my math 499 > 399 > 329.

likemyorbs
Apr 15, 2013, 10:26 AM
You know, if iOS wasn't so boring and they actually changed things with software releases and improved them, aesthetically as well as functionally, this little experiment wouldnt even be necessary.

Peace
Apr 15, 2013, 10:28 AM
You might want to read this :

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157

likemyorbs
Apr 15, 2013, 10:33 AM
You might want to read this :

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157

Surprisingly nothing on there about the Nexus 4, the only TRUE Google phone.

mobilehaathi
Apr 15, 2013, 07:55 PM
I had a wonderful experience with an Andriod phone before my current iPhone.

My only major complaint was battery life.

torana355
Apr 15, 2013, 08:05 PM
In terms of hardware the iPhone has a better camera, screen and WiFi chip compared to the N4 and iPhone in general has a better camera of any android (or other platforms) phone fullstop. My Nexus has been having issues staying connected to my router. Hence I have to toggle on/off quite often.

Text editing (copy/paste) on Android is hands down inferior to iOS its the one thing that makes me want to rip my hair out

Yes the iPhone has a better camera but the screen and wifi chip on the Nexus 4 are just as good. I have zero issues with Wifi and i actually get better range then my iPhone. The screen on the N4 is brilliant once calibrated. Text editing just takes some getting used to, once you are used to it it is just as effective.

ucfgrad93
Apr 15, 2013, 09:11 PM
Do you guys think I will end up going back to iOS or will I stay with Android?

Get whatever works best for you.

By the way, shouldn't this be in the Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices forum?

likemyorbs
Apr 15, 2013, 09:42 PM
Yes the iPhone has a better camera but the screen and wifi chip on the Nexus 4 are just as good. I have zero issues with Wifi and i actually get better range then my iPhone. The screen on the N4 is brilliant once calibrated. Text editing just takes some getting used to, once you are used to it it is just as effective.

Do you use both your nexus and iPhone? How often do you switch between the two?

torana355
Apr 15, 2013, 09:50 PM
Do you use both your nexus and iPhone? How often do you switch between the two?

I usually use the Nexus but i have used the iphone a few times to compare. The only place ive seen where people say bad things about the N4 is on this forum, all the people ive talked to that actually have one think it is a great phone, especially for the price.

MacNut
Apr 15, 2013, 10:34 PM

My only major complaint was battery life.Battery life on what phone? My iPhone is horrible.

Plutonius
Apr 15, 2013, 10:35 PM
Is you sister joining you in this challenge and getting a iPhone 5 (you are switching from IOS to Android so it's only fair that your sister switches from Android to IOS) :D.

mobilehaathi
Apr 15, 2013, 11:06 PM
Battery life on what phone? My iPhone is horrible.

I had an HTC that would last half the day with moderate use, way worse than my 5.

daneoni
Apr 15, 2013, 11:19 PM

My wifi keeps disconnecting and this is apparently a well known bug that Google has yet to fix. Accurate screen calibration can only be obtained by running custom. The stock calibration is inferior to the iPhone and people are still hoping Google will address the problem. I'm also not a big fan of the throttle but I don't even mind that too much. The wifi thing is the big no no for me.

I'm not bashing the N4 I liked it a lot but mine had issues I simply couldn't overlook especially when compared to my other devices is all. For the most part it's a very good phone for the money but the issues are there.

Simplicated
Apr 15, 2013, 11:40 PM
I did the exact same thing a few months back. I decided to give Nexus 4 and Android a try, but I ended up giving up just 13 days later. It's just not for me, who's accustomed to Apple's aesthetics and UI designs.

Many apps that come with Android are strewn with icons that are not so descriptive, and there's no labels telling you what they are. It took me two minutes to figure out where the alarm clock function is.

And then Android reeks of inconsistency. A lot of the apps I downloaded still use the Android 2.X user interface, despite Holo, the design theme for Android 4.0, having existed for over a year. Some built-in apps (yes, built-in) have their buttons on the top and some have them on the bottom. The Back button, an always-present onscreen button, frequently takes you to places you may not have been to.

There's no fine grained privacy control. When you download an app, you agree to give out all the information the app wants. You can't, for example, disallow an app from obtaining your location. You can't disallow an app from gaining access to your contacts. You have to root the phone for this to happen. Android proudly presents itself as an OS that gives you fine control over things, but apparently this aspect falls short when compared to iOS.

Switching keyboards also seems to be a rigmarole. As someone who also speaks other languages, I frequently switch between keyboards. Funny enough, a lot of the keyboards have their own way of switching, some will require you to tap and hold the space bar, some have a dedicated button. While you can pull down the notifications and select a keyboard from the list, the sheer size of the screen, and the time required to perform this, just makes it impractical.

That is not to say I dislike everything about Android. I like how I can select a file that's saved in another app and share it. I like being able to choose my launcher, which allows me to put more than 5 items in the dock. Google Now is unparalleled.

When I gave up trying the Nexus 4 and went back to my iPhone, I never looked back. I never missed it. On the contrary, when I was using the Nexus 4 I missed my iPhone every day.

--

Well I don't know why I posted such a long response, probably the longest yet since my membership on MacRumors. I'm just sharing my experience and hopefully these are valid concerns that Google will fix in Key Lime Pie.

torana355
Apr 16, 2013, 12:01 AM
My wifi keeps disconnecting and this is apparently a well known bug that Google has yet to fix. Accurate screen calibration can only be obtained by running custom. The stock calibration is inferior to the iPhone and people are still hoping Google will address the problem. I'm also not a big fan of the throttle but I don't even mind that too much. The wifi thing is the big no no for me.

I'm not bashing the N4 I liked it a lot but mine had issues I simply couldn't overlook especially when compared to my other devices is all. For the most part it's a very good phone for the money but the issues are there.

All fair points but i have not has any issue with wifi, even when stock, perhaps you had a bad unit? For me running custom Roms and Kernels is why i love android so much but i can see why it would not be for everyone. The stock screen calibration is really bad, the funny thing is the LG Optimus which is the same phone hardware wise has brilliant calibration out of the box.

daneoni
Apr 16, 2013, 05:45 AM
All fair points but i have not has any issue with wifi, even when stock, perhaps you had a bad unit? For me running custom Roms and Kernels is why i love android so much but i can see why it would not be for everyone. The stock screen calibration is really bad, the funny thing is the LG Optimus which is the same phone hardware wise has brilliant calibration out of the box.

Agreed.

eric/
Apr 16, 2013, 06:38 AM
Android for the win!

When you say mark up you're not referring to price, correct?

likemyorbs
Apr 16, 2013, 07:10 AM
I did the exact same thing a few months back. I decided to give Nexus 4 and Android a try, but I ended up giving up just 13 days later. It's just not for me, who's accustomed to Apple's aesthetics and UI designs.

Many apps that come with Android are strewn with icons that are not so descriptive, and there's no labels telling you what they are. It took me two minutes to figure out where the alarm clock function is.

And then Android reeks of inconsistency. A lot of the apps I downloaded still use the Android 2.X user interface, despite Holo, the design theme for Android 4.0, having existed for over a year. Some built-in apps (yes, built-in) have their buttons on the top and some have them on the bottom. The Back button, an always-present onscreen button, frequently takes you to places you may not have been to.

There's no fine grained privacy control. When you download an app, you agree to give out all the information the app wants. You can't, for example, disallow an app from obtaining your location. You can't disallow an app from gaining access to your contacts. You have to root the phone for this to happen. Android proudly presents itself as an OS that gives you fine control over things, but apparently this aspect falls short when compared to iOS.

Switching keyboards also seems to be a rigmarole. As someone who also speaks other languages, I frequently switch between keyboards. Funny enough, a lot of the keyboards have their own way of switching, some will require you to tap and hold the space bar, some have a dedicated button. While you can pull down the notifications and select a keyboard from the list, the sheer size of the screen, and the time required to perform this, just makes it impractical.

That is not to say I dislike everything about Android. I like how I can select a file that's saved in another app and share it. I like being able to choose my launcher, which allows me to put more than 5 items in the dock. Google Now is unparalleled.

When I gave up trying the Nexus 4 and went back to my iPhone, I never looked back. I never missed it. On the contrary, when I was using the Nexus 4 I missed my iPhone every day.

--

Well I don't know why I posted such a long response, probably the longest yet since my membership on MacRumors. I'm just sharing my experience and hopefully these are valid concerns that Google will fix in Key Lime Pie.

Thanks for the long response, was very informative. I'm starting to be not so excited about android but I'm really trying hard to keep an open mind. However, all the down sides you listed are pretty much what i was expecting and i was hoping to be proven wrong.

----------

Is you sister joining you in this challenge and getting a iPhone 5 (you are switching from IOS to Android so it's only fair that your sister switches from Android to IOS) :D.

You would think, but since she works at Verizon she thinks she doesn't need to because she works with them daily.

torana355
Apr 16, 2013, 03:57 PM

To put it simply, if you are not the kind of person that enjoys tinkering then stick with an iPhone. Android has the capability to blow the iPhone away when you get into the technical stuff like custom roms and kernels, for example my Nexus 4 running Rasbeanjelly rom and Trinity kernel is simply brilliant in all aspects from battery life to screen calibration, tbh the ip5 cant hold a candle to how ive got my N4 setup. However the stock Nexus 4 does have a few downsides that some previous ios users may dislike. You get out what you put in with Android.

RoastingPig
Apr 16, 2013, 04:28 PM
i have a galaxy sII that i bought dirt cheap that i use when i get bored of my 4s

KaraH
Apr 17, 2013, 05:21 AM
When you say mark up you're not referring to price, correct?

See my post quoting numbers. I like Apple stuff but there is no denying it is more expensive than the competition.

eric/
Apr 17, 2013, 06:28 AM
See my post quoting numbers. I like Apple stuff but there is no denying it is more expensive than the competition.

Initially the thread was about phones, so that's what I thought your comment was about.

Even with that being said, I don't really think Apple mobile devices are marked up. Are they more expensive? Sure. Does that mean they are marked up? Not necessarily.

The price you quoted, $329, was for what Android tablet? If we're going to compare, then let's compare.

likemyorbs
Apr 17, 2013, 08:17 AM
This phone should be delivered tomorrow. I'll definitely be posting updates.

PhoenixMac
Apr 17, 2013, 11:36 AM
I tried the android challenge for six months while waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out and while I loved my gnex I just missed the integration with the rest of my apple products.

For someone new to smart phones and doesn't have an ecosystem already built up its easier to pick between iOS vs android but for someone already deep in paid apps and work flow its hard to make a switch and not want to go back.

I compare it to Halo vs C.O.D. People usually tend to stick to whichever one they started playing first. But both are equally great in their own rights.

KaraH
Apr 17, 2013, 04:37 PM
Initially the thread was about phones, so that's what I thought your comment was about.

Even with that being said, I don't really think Apple mobile devices are marked up. Are they more expensive? Sure. Does that mean they are marked up? Not necessarily.

The price you quoted, $329, was for what Android tablet? If we're going to compare, then let's compare.

Strange I thought the topic name was "Taking the Android challenge". Yes, the 329 was for an android pad and I have seen some androids with similar specs in the high 200s.

As to phones. I got my android phone with the standard 2 year contract so the usual no handset charge. I also have a MUCH less expensive plan that the iPhone because I was able to get data+pay as you go calling.

likemyorbs
Apr 17, 2013, 06:31 PM
The phone came early and I have already started using it. First impression: GIVE ME MY IPHONE BACK!!

But that's only because it's going to take a lot of getting used to. What do you guys think is a good length of time for this experiment?

torana355
Apr 17, 2013, 06:50 PM
The phone came early and I have already started using it. First impression: GIVE ME MY IPHONE BACK!!

But that's only because it's going to take a lot of getting used to. What do you guys think is a good length of time for this experiment?

At least a few weeks. Like i said earlier in this thread, if you don't enjoy tinkering just send the N4 back now. You get out what you put in with an Android phone, if you put some time in it can become an excellent device.

waloshin
Apr 20, 2013, 11:27 PM
As you are obviously the iOS fanboi you will be running back. ;)

roxxette
Apr 21, 2013, 12:32 AM
Surprisingly nothing on there about the Nexus 4, the only TRUE Google phone.

"Official" Nexus 4 thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1489452

:confused: Not sure how you didnt see it, anyway great phone and the best bang for the buck if you buy your phone off-contract :)

eric/
Apr 21, 2013, 06:45 AM
Strange I thought the topic name was "Taking the Android challenge". Yes, the 329 was for an android pad and I have seen some androids with similar specs in the high 200s.

Yeah it's called taking the android challenge, then if you bothered to read the OP, you'd see it was about phones.

As to phones. I got my android phone with the standard 2 year contract so the usual no handset charge. I also have a MUCH less expensive plan that the iPhone because I was able to get data+pay as you go calling.

So you got a contract phone or a pay as you go phone?

KaraH
Apr 21, 2013, 07:28 PM
So you got a contract phone or a pay as you go phone?

A contract phone but the contract is for unlimited data/text. Voice is pay as you go.

Which fits my needs PERFECTLY. I hate talking on phones.

raw8725
Apr 23, 2013, 05:42 PM

Thats rubbish, Android jelly bean wipes the floor with iOS. I've had the S3, and the N4 and I use the iPhone5 at the moment. I'm in the process of getting the N7 tab with 3G and I'm going to ditch the iPhone5. The camera is the only decent thing on it.

How the heck do you know if you have messages or missed calls? There is NO flashing light on the iPhone. Typing is frickin terrible. Once you use a swipe application on Android you don't want to use anything else.

Everything on iOS is tightly controlled. I can't even change my message tones with custom tones, wtf? I download apps and get spammed up with adverts. Apple don't even allow an ad blocker.

I just heard Apple posted worst results in 10 years, I'm not surprised at all. Yes the iPhone5 is built so amazingly blah de blah, but thats it.

By the way the rubber on the edge of the N4 is a nice touch, its very grippy unlike the metal around the iPhone5. Oh and my phone is smudged up with finger prints like there is no tomorrow. :eek::confused::apple:

droidbook
Apr 23, 2013, 07:06 PM
I have been android for about 5-6 years now and never going back...I've been very happy with my S2 (rooted with jellybean). Being rooted means clean OS no bloatware...... i have expandable memory and I can use it how I please and install what I want. No more Apple telling me what to do. Also with iTunes I can just drag and drop my music which I like better then automatically syncing everytime I connect my phone to my mac. There is an app you can purchase and install on your mac to sync your droid to your mac, I just prefer dragging and dropping. Also plenty of great apps no complaints here at all.

MacNut
Apr 23, 2013, 07:09 PM
I have been android for about 5-6 years now and never going back...I've been very happy with my S2 (rooted with jellybean). Being rooted means clean OS no bloatware...... i have expandable memory and I can use it how I please and install what I want. No more Apple telling me what to do. Also with iTunes I can just drag and drop my music which I like better then automatically syncing everytime I connect my phone to my mac. There is an app you can purchase and install on your mac to sync your droid to your mac, I just prefer dragging and dropping. Also plenty of great apps no complaints here at all.I am very tempted by Android now, once the S4 comes out I will compare that with the HTC One.

raw8725
Apr 23, 2013, 07:09 PM
I have been android for about 5-6 years now and never going back...I've been very happy with my S2 (rooted with jellybean). Being rooted means clean OS no bloatware...... i have expandable memory and I can use it how I please and install what I want. No more Apple telling me what to do. Also with iTunes I can just drag and drop my music which I like better then automatically syncing everytime I connect my phone to my mac. There is an app you can purchase and install on your mac to sync your droid to your mac, I just prefer dragging and dropping. Also plenty of great apps no complaints here at all.

I hear you brother. Do you have any idea how many ridiculous patents Apple tries to take out to stop others developing good GUI experiences? iOS is a turkey compared to Jelly Bean. Its old and out of date. I feel like I'm in jail when I use the iPhone5. I have to obey by their rules, can't do no customisation.

Nice photography too on your website!

droidbook
Apr 23, 2013, 07:48 PM
I hear you brother. Do you have any idea how many ridiculous patents Apple tries to take out to stop others developing good GUI experiences? iOS is a turkey compared to Jelly Bean. Its old and out of date. I feel like I'm in jail when I use the iPhone5. I have to obey by their rules, can't do no customisation.

Nice photography too on your website!

Yes very ridiculous how they are grabbing patents for everything and sometimes they sit there doing nothing trying to stop others or technology from advancing. lol yes I dont miss my iphone 3 at all, my girlfriend has a iphone 5 and I hate touching it lol.

Thanks for the comment on my site

----------

I am very tempted by Android now, once the S4 comes out I will compare that with the HTC One.

Yes Im very tempted by the HTC One especially the unlocked developers model. I may jump and buy it but also wanting to see what the Nexus 5 will be. Having the S2 im not really interested in the S4, lol i actually like the S2 design better.

MacNut
Apr 23, 2013, 08:58 PM
Yes very ridiculous how they are grabbing patents for everything and sometimes they sit there doing nothing trying to stop others or technology from advancing. lol yes I dont miss my iphone 3 at all, my girlfriend has a iphone 5 and I hate touching it lol.

Thanks for the comment on my site

----------

Yes Im very tempted by the HTC One especially the unlocked developers model. I may jump and buy it but also wanting to see what the Nexus 5 will be. Having the S2 im not really interested in the S4, lol i actually like the S2 design better.I am hearing the battery is not so great on the one, that and it isn't removable. I want to see some real hands on S4 reviews.

mib1800
Apr 24, 2013, 09:33 PM

What are you talking about icon has no labels? In the app drawer app icons have labels.

darn, I better stay away from back button...dont want to be zapped into the delta quadrant. :D

With permissions shown to you upfront, then you can decide whether you should trust the app or not. If an app ask too many permissions that it requires to do its job then you should be wary of that app.

This is way better than IOS where users are left in the dark about what kind of permissions the app has access to. Actually app in IOS is given ALL permissions by default. You install the app and hope the app doesnt do anything detrimental.

Worse is that you only get prompted for "contact" and "location" access but what about all the rest of the permissions? If you dont give the permissions when the popup box asks for it then the app is virtually useless which leads us to why you want to install the app in the first place. And if you trust the app, you get annoyed with the irritating popup permission box everytime you use the app.

Why don't you just stick with one keyboard? Obviously different keyboard apps operates differently (just like different twitter clients dont operate the same way) . I think you are making a fuss out of nothing.

At least you get to replace keyboard in Android unlike Iphone where you are stuck the with one archaic keyboard.

onthecouchagain
Apr 25, 2013, 01:17 PM
I can't tell you how happy I am to be back on Android. It's like waking up from a bad nightmare. Almost everything is so much better and easier on Android. It's such a liberating feeling.

johnjefferson
Apr 25, 2013, 06:15 PM
I can't tell you how happy I am to be back on Android. It's like waking up from a bad nightmare. Almost everything is so much better and easier on Android. It's such a liberating feeling.

You must have no Apple products in the house then, or your above statement would not be true.

Lara F
Apr 25, 2013, 06:24 PM
You must have no Apple products in the house then, or your above statement would not be true.

Well, depends - if you just have a Mac, it's not that big a deal especially if you use Chrome as your default browser.

Add an iPad and Apple TV and the integration makes much more impact.

onthecouchagain
Apr 25, 2013, 06:24 PM

Don't quite follow but okay.

johnjefferson
Apr 25, 2013, 06:37 PM
Well, depends - if you just have a Mac, it's not that big a deal

It was for me. I would plug my Note 2 into my iMac and...nothing. It wouldnt even come up as a USB device since Samsung wants to force you into using Kies, which is awful. I plug my iPhone 5 into my iMac and iTunes opens to back everything up, sync my music, apps etc...iPhoto will open up so I can download my photos and videos and I still have photo stream sending my iPhone pics to my Macs and iPad. Its worlds easier to use an iPhone with Apple products, have to jump thru a ton of hoops with an Android phone and a Mac.

mclld
Apr 25, 2013, 06:45 PM
have to jump thru a ton of hoops with an Android phone and a Mac.
Holy exaggeration Batman!

Lara F
Apr 25, 2013, 07:00 PM
It was for me. I would plug my Note 2 into my iMac and...nothing. It wouldnt even come up as a USB device since Samsung wants to force you into using Kies, which is awful. I plug my iPhone 5 into my iMac and iTunes opens to back everything up, sync my music, apps etc...iPhoto will open up so I can download my photos and videos and I still have photo stream sending my iPhone pics to my Macs and iPad. Its worlds easier to use an iPhone with Apple products, have to jump thru a ton of hoops with an Android phone and a Mac.

Point taken - I've only had Nexus so never had to worry about Kies, Samsung does make it harder I believe. But IIRC HTC has syncing software that's iTunes/Mac friendly for converts, maybe someone with a One can confirm.

Stuntman06
Apr 25, 2013, 07:14 PM

You're just used to how to use the iPhone. It will take some time to get used to the subtle differences with an Android phone. My first experience with the iPhone after being an Android user for a while was a little frustrating because some things are similar, but others are different and those differences just wasn't obvious.

There really is no set length of time that is good enough to try a new phone. It is up to the person. If you find you really miss your iPhone and want your phone to behave like an iPhone, why put up with more aggravation than you have to? If you really want to see what Android can do that perhaps your iPhone cannot, it may take longer. I would suggest you first set up the essentials that you think you need and use most often. One that works more or less good enough (it will never work exactly the same as your iPhone), then you can perhaps try some things not possible on your iPhone. The latest thing that just came out is Swype. It's an alternate keyboard for your phone and it is on sale for a buck right now.

Anyway, have fun. Hope it works out for you.

TacticalDesire
Apr 25, 2013, 08:29 PM

Agreed. While significantly better with 4.2.2 it could still use some work. Everything else I couldn't be happier with.

Huntn
Apr 26, 2013, 12:56 PM

You do understand the concept of patents? When a company spends substantial sums of money on proprietary inventions, they want their investment protected? The Samsung trial is a good example of another company deciding to pirating someone else's patents.

As far as "being in jail" and customization, what kind of things are you trying to do that you can't? For myself, the iPhone does everything I need and it does it well.

TacticalDesire
Apr 26, 2013, 03:16 PM
For myself, the iPhone does everything I need and it does it well.

Exactly. You answered your own question. What's working for you obviously isn't working for him.

Southernboyj
Apr 26, 2013, 03:30 PM

Over the past several years my phone usage went in this order: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, Galaxy S3, iPhone 5, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note 2, and I preordered a Galaxy S4 yesterday.

After I got the S3 I swapped back to the iPhone 5 because I wasn't fully use to Android. I quickly regretted the decision. I've adapted and much prefer Android for my phone. I still think iOS is best for tablets ATM though.

chagla
Apr 26, 2013, 06:09 PM

As far as "being in jail" and customization, what kind of things are you trying to do that you can't? For myself, the iPhone does everything I need and it does it well.

drag and drop file management on any computer without any special software.

that alone is a big reason. it allows you to use your GBs as you see fit.

apps aren't sandboxed like ios. ie - pdf files in adobe reader are not seen by other apps. terrible idea. if you delete adobe reader by mistake, your files are gone too.

if you have few minutes, i'd urge you to check some details about the "apps" on my signature at http://play.google.com plz, just take few minutes and let me know if there are ios alternatives. thx.

Huntn
Apr 27, 2013, 08:39 AM
drag and drop file management on any computer without any special software.

that alone is a big reason. it allows you to use your GBs as you see fit.

apps aren't sandboxed like ios. ie - pdf files in adobe reader are not seen by other apps. terrible idea. if you delete adobe reader by mistake, your files are gone too.

if you have few minutes, i'd urge you to check some details about the "apps" on my signature at http://play.google.com plz, just take few minutes and let me know if there are ios alternatives. thx.

Hmm, your link leads me to my play.google.com account. I understand the restrictions with ios. Maybe there will be a time in the future when I need more flexibility, but I like the concept of "safe" apps and simplicity (when possible).

Is Apple out stepping good business practices by controlling and creating a safe IOS environment (and the perception of an iron thumb on IOS developers)? So far that does not seem to be case from a sales perspective. Maybe in the future if and when the tide turns against them will they rethink the policy.

Assault
Apr 27, 2013, 10:23 AM

I can get any content off my iMac to my S3 and I don't have to plug anything in. Airdroid "just works" and is extremely easy, plus you can continue to use your phone while the download continues in the background. Something the iPhone can't do.

I have an iMac, Roku 2's and 3's, HP and Dell Desktops and 3 Android phones and tablets all working together. A very simple task and works better than when I had nothing but ATV's, iPads, iphones and Macs. Griffin ATV and iTunes upgrades became painful, because Apple usually screwed something, causing my iTunes to stop recognizing itself as one of my five approved computers and ATV updates was like playing Russian roulette. Never knew if I was gonna get a good install or be required to reload my ATV with a previous version?

johnjefferson
Apr 27, 2013, 10:39 AM
I can get any content off my iMac to my S3 and I don't have to plug anything in. Airdroid "just works" and is extremely easy, plus you can continue to use your phone while the download continues in the background. Something the iPhone can't do.

Sure, Airdroid is cool if you like slow, buggy apps that crash more times than they work. All you need to do is look thru about 20 user reviews of it on the Play store to figure that out. Gotta love that Android fragmentation. An app can run perfectly on one Android phone but a complete disaster on another one only because its a different brand or running a different version of Android. No thanks.

Assault
Apr 27, 2013, 01:27 PM
Sure, Airdroid is cool if you like slow, buggy apps that crash more times than they work. All you need to do is look thru about 20 user reviews of it on the Play store to figure that out. Gotta love that Android fragmentation. An app can run perfectly on one Android phone but a complete disaster on another one only because its a different brand or running a different version of Android. No thanks.

You talk about things which you know nothing about. Gotta love iOS fragmentation too. iMaps and iOS6 work great on some devices and, well, not at all on others. Or how about Siri? Or how about apps designed for 3.5" screens trying to run on iphone5 with nice black bars on the sides?

And iOS is great is you love getting Android app copies in each new ios iteration, love having Apple put out crappy updates, enjoy stale and an old OS that still looks like it came from 2007, enjoy laggy response time, and enjoy iOS crashing more often than Android. ;)

johnjefferson
Apr 27, 2013, 01:37 PM
You talk about things which you know nothing about. Gotta love iOS fragmentation too. iMaps and iOS6 work great on some devices and, well, not at all on others. Or how about Siri? Or how about apps designed for 3.5" screens trying to run on iphone5 with nice black bars on the sides?

And iOS is great is you love getting Android app copies in each new ios iteration, love having Apple put out crappy updates, enjoy stale and an old OS that still looks like it came from 2007, enjoy laggy response time, and enjoy iOS crashing more often than Android. ;)

I dont worry about that since I am on an iPhone 5 on the newest version of iOS :) I keep the iPhone because no Android phone on the market will bring up all my music on my car's head unit display, run iTunes, automatically send photos I take to my Macs and iPad or allow me to play videos bought from my Apple TV. I will gladly exchange the use of widgets and a larger screen for these things. Besides, widgets are more than likely coming to iOS 7 as well as a ton of other features thus really closing the gap on any advantage Android once had.

Assault
Apr 27, 2013, 02:35 PM
I dont worry about that since I am on an iPhone 5 on the newest version of iOS :) I keep the iPhone because no Android phone on the market will bring up all my music on my car's head unit display, run iTunes, automatically send photos I take to my Macs and iPad or allow me to play videos bought from my Apple TV. I will gladly exchange the use of widgets and a larger screen for these things. Besides, widgets are more than likely coming to iOS 7 as well as a ton of other features thus really closing the gap on any advantage Android once had.

Other than your assumptions on iOS7, this is the first post from you that is both logical and accurate. I can not argue against your points, nor should I. The Apple ecosystem is the best option for you.

On a side note, I thought I was screwed when I went to Android and being able to wirelessly connect with my cars head unit and use the controls on my steering wheel. However, my car has A2DP and all I do is make a BT connection with my phone and not only is my normal music info displayed on screen and the controls on the steering wheel work, but the same goes for Pandora and Spotify. All via the S3. So, that was one big reason I didn't need to stay with the iPhone or iPod, and I would no longer keep that sort of thing as an iOS advantage, but instead an even par between the two operating systems.

fredaroony
Apr 27, 2013, 03:02 PM

This is the single worst thing about iOS for me. Makes it much more of a pain to use.

Gathomblipoob
Apr 27, 2013, 03:29 PM

The biggest complaint I have about my HTC One is the really slow charging rate.

mobilehaathi
Apr 27, 2013, 05:13 PM
The biggest complaint I have about my HTC One is the really slow charging rate.

I can't recall ever being annoyed at the rate of charging of my old HTC, but I do remember being somewhat surprised at the iPhone charge rate when I first got it.

I suppose I would get annoyed if I went the other direction though.

fredaroony
Apr 27, 2013, 05:16 PM

Jeesh enough with the trolling already?

tjl3
Apr 27, 2013, 06:18 PM
Or how about apps designed for 3.5" screens trying to run on iphone5 with nice black bars on the sides?

This is something that keeps popping up on this side of these forums. Most apps that remain in 3.5" format are no longer supported. I'm guessing not all follow that previous statement, but most that I notice do. I think you would find the same thing on Android if there was an app that stopped receiving updates, it would not get optimized for the new 1080p phones.

And then there is this to consider, games like (my favorite all time) Chrono Trigger is optimized for 4:3, and while it still gets support from SE, it's not likely to get an update to HD. But it doesn't exist in HD on any platform, do you know of any Android apps that support 16:9 but do not on iOS?