PDA

View Full Version : Samsung has successfully killed Sony, is Apple next?

iPad5
Apr 14, 2013, 01:32 PM
How Sony Is Turning into a Ghost in Japan and Around the World (http://kotaku.com/5960411/how-sony-is-turning-into-a-ghost-in-japan-and-around-the-world)

"What was even worse is that during this period, Korea and Taiwan immediately welcome the exiting Sony techies with open arms. It was better than industrial espionage—Samsung could openly 'buy' the technology that Sony had developed simply by rehiring their best and brightest."

The representative of a major European investor in Sony recalls his meeting with Idei very unfavorably.

"I came to Japan to talk to Mr. Idei about our growing concerns with Sony's direction. We had dinner together. I wanted to talk about profit margins; he wanted to talk about the wine we were having. He struck me as a clueless."

When the investor pointed out that Sony's operating profits on electronic products were roughly 2-4 percent and that Samsung was making similar products at a 30 percent profit margin, Idei hushed him by reportedly saying, "They make the parts for our products. We put them together. It's the difference between a steel maker and an automobile maker. We make the automobiles."

The investor apparently countered, "Well, I've got news for you-the people you laid off from the car plant are now working at the steel mill, and soon the steel mills will be building cars with your technology."

The warning was not heeded. It was 2004 when they last met, and while the iPod was increasingly becoming the to-go platform for mobile music and multi-media contents, Sony or rather Idei, didn't take it seriously.

I think Apple has made a great move by cutting Samsung out as one of their suppliers. Hopefully, Apple won't repeat Sony's huge mistake of keeping Samsung as their main supplier, and Samsung ended up betraying Sony. Nobody is buying Sony HDTVs anymore, everyone would rather get Samsung HDTVs since those are cheaper and almost as good. Do you guys think that after Apple cutting Samsung as one of their major suppliers, Samsung will be having a hard time trying to copy Apple products? Yes/No

ct2k7
Apr 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
Are you trying to troll?

OceanView
Apr 14, 2013, 02:04 PM
You realize Samsung is the Steel Maker to Apples Automaker position here?

macalec
Apr 14, 2013, 02:08 PM
I hope samsung goes down before anyone... I dont like them-never did... I think LG even makes better TV's.

How Sony Is Turning into a Ghost in Japan and Around the World (http://kotaku.com/5960411/how-sony-is-turning-into-a-ghost-in-japan-and-around-the-world)

I think Apple has made a great move by cutting Samsung out as one of their suppliers. Hopefully, Apple won't repeat Sony's huge mistake of keeping Samsung as their main supplier, and Samsung ended up betraying Sony. Nobody is buying Sony HDTVs anymore, everyone would rather get Samsung HDTVs since those are cheaper and almost as good. Do you guys think that after Apple cutting Samsung as one of their major suppliers, Samsung will be having a hard time trying to copy Apple products? Yes/No

ct2k7
Apr 14, 2013, 02:16 PM
I hope samsung goes down before anyone... I dont like them-never did... I think LG even makes better TV's.

I sincerely hope not.

Samsung makes arguable some of the best electronic products. Ranging from flash storage to simple white goods. I'm guessing a lot of things in your home have Samsung chips in them.

blackhand1001
Apr 14, 2013, 02:32 PM

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Plasmas are the best but samsung lcd's are definitely better than LG.

MacRumorUser
Apr 14, 2013, 02:36 PM
Are you trying to troll?

trying ? That's a bit cruel....

At least praise the man when they are doing a good job ;) :D

EstaVidaLoca
Apr 14, 2013, 02:39 PM
Lol well they'll be no need for a Samsung killed HTC thread because HTC is killing themselves.

MacRumorUser
Apr 14, 2013, 02:39 PM

Depends on the model, price range and series number really.....

Can't say which is best definitively between any of them as so many variables. Also with TV's its a lot to do with the processing now-a-days too which can change viewing so so much.

My LG 42" 3D LED TV has a much better picture than my 46" Samsung 3D LED TV despite the Samung costing €1459 and the LG €749 and that's mainly due to technological changes in the 12 months age gap between them.

Michael Goff
Apr 14, 2013, 02:44 PM

So tired of the "Samsung is copying Apple" myth.

Let's look at the Galaxy Note series. Yep, that's exactly like... nothing Apple makes.

Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4. Yep, I can see how people think they're just like the iPhone... okay, so I can't.

Exynos vs A# chips are just alike in every way, except that they're not. Especially if we look at the way that Apple gets better battery life for their processors (optimizing and clocking down) vs what Samsung is doing (Octa-core).

The worst part of it is recently, when Best Buy started to talk about Samsung Experience shops. It's like Apple invented store-within-a-store according to some people.

ucfgrad93
Apr 14, 2013, 02:52 PM
While Samsung makes some great phones, I don't think they will kill off Apple.

lazard
Apr 14, 2013, 03:02 PM

Samsung didn't kill Sony. Sony died from their self inflicted wound.

Former Sony executives and current employees blame the fall of the firm on the loss of brainpower and good employees during the reign of Nobuyuki Idei, from 1999 to 2005.

"Idei decided to streamline the company and do massive restructuring. When we say, 'restructure' in Japanese-we really mean get rid of people. He put together an early retirement plan and strongly encouraged people to use it. Well, that didn't generate a lot of good feelings. When a company starts promoting early retirement, most people take that as a sign to get out while they still can. And many did. Maybe the idea was that by getting rid of the middle aged and older employees they'd encourage innovation and bring in some young blood. The effect was more like shooting yourself in the foot."

northernbaldy
Apr 14, 2013, 03:07 PM
if samsung kill apple, who will they copy off?

iPad5
Apr 14, 2013, 03:51 PM

Funny that you mentioned this, I was exactly thinking the same thing!

tjl3
Apr 14, 2013, 04:02 PM

Panasonic plasmas are the best =D

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 14, 2013, 06:06 PM
The best looking screen is the Sony Bravia line, but Samsung's Smart TVs are freaking awesome. I just might switch to a Samsung Smart TV next.

Fernandez21
Apr 14, 2013, 07:34 PM
wait, Sony died?

daneoni
Apr 14, 2013, 07:57 PM
Apple is currently "too big to fail" they have far too much money/revenue and are a little smarter than the average suits in the industry.

Let's look at the Galaxy Note series. Yep, that's exactly like... nothing Apple makes.

Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4. Yep, I can see how people think they're just like the iPhone... okay, so I can't.

Lets look at the Galaxy S. Yep its lost twin brother of the iPhone 3G/3GS. And Galaxy Tab 10.1, I can see how they're similar to the iPad...no seriously I can. What about their new Wallet app. Yep exactly like...Passbook from Apple.

Kashsystems
Apr 14, 2013, 07:58 PM
wait, Sony died?

I guess we are going to have to forget about ordering that PS4.

vincebio
Apr 14, 2013, 08:10 PM
what a lot of utter tripe.

Go check out the Sony Bravia KDL HX series TV's and then some Samsungs and you might reverse your thread title...

quasinormal
Apr 14, 2013, 08:49 PM

Google didn't think it was a myth.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1411088

adnbek
Apr 14, 2013, 09:20 PM

Myth (http://allthingsd.com/files/2012/08/44_iPhone_GalaxyS1_review.pdf) indeed.

Source (http://allthingsd.com/20120807/samsungs-2010-report-on-how-its-galaxy-would-be-better-if-it-were-more-like-the-iphone/)

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 14, 2013, 09:40 PM
Samsung didn't kill Sony. Sony died because of old age.

Samsung started off by copying/following Apple. They still do. Retail stores? Apple is one of the few tech companies that pulled it off successfully. You don't see a Toshiba store, Dell store, etc. Same with store within a store stuff. Apple wasn't the first, but they are one of the few that make it work successfully. Without Apple, Samsung will die. To this day, Samsung has not taken a previously "failed" product category like tablet computers, music players, touchscreen phone, etc. and made it globally successful. Sure they made great strides with large screen smartphones, phablets, etc. but those are different than Apple making tablet computers, music players, touchscreen phones popular. Apple made smartphones popular, Samsung made large screen smartphones popular. Both are impressive but one is slightly more so.

In cellular network terms, Apple is to Samsung as 4G LTE is to HSDPA+. Samsung has not reinvigorated a previously "failed" product category and made it largely successful. A good example of this is smart TVs. If Samsung is truly "better" than Apple, they would have made smart TVs ubiquitous as iPhones, iPods and iPads were relative to its time. But Samsung has already tried its hand with smart TVs and has failed like everybody else. Apple has not (Apple TV is not a smart TV, it's a set top box).

Radiating
Apr 14, 2013, 09:47 PM

Sony makes products that are of a much higher quality than Samsung, and people still buy Sony products because they know that Samsung makes cheap junk.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 14, 2013, 10:31 PM
The iPhone UI has become the status quo quickly after it's initial release. Trying to gain momentum outside the status quo is not easy, so you can't blame Samsung for making it's UI more iPhone like. I feel it's more like "fitting in" rather than just pain outright copying.

It's obvious that Samsung has been a little too blatant in doing so, but they were not the only ones. Actually, who didn't Apple try to sue?

How do you not incorporate something that's the standard? How well would a Macbook sell with a dvorak keyboard? Not well at all.

The same can be said with Apple. It's obvious, they really didn't want to make the iP5 with a bigger screen. But screens larger than 3.5 are the new status quo and Apple has to follow.

Also, Apple acts like no other hardware design or UI created before the iPhone were similar, which plenty were. I'm pretty sure Apple didn't gain all it's ideas from thin air.

The status quo of the iPhone is rapidly dissipating. Soon enough, Apple might find itself following Samsung's way.

Didn't mean to be all over the place, just tired of all this copycat talk.

lazard
Apr 15, 2013, 12:42 AM
Samsung didn't kill Sony. Sony died because of old age.

Samsung started off by copying/following Apple. They still do. Retail stores? Apple is one of the few tech companies that pulled it off successfully. You don't see a Toshiba store, Dell store, etc. Same with store within a store stuff. Apple wasn't the first, but they are one of the few that make it work successfully. Without Apple, Samsung will die.

Samsung has been around since 1938. Pretty sure they will be fine without Apple.

roxxette
Apr 15, 2013, 12:49 AM
Sony makes products that are of a much higher quality than Samsung, and people still buy Sony products because they know that Samsung makes cheap junk.

Weird :) how come Sony buys "cheap junk" from Samsung ;)

maxosx
Apr 15, 2013, 01:01 AM
The real reason Sony is not the powerhouse they once were, has nothing to do with Samsung or Apple.

When the topic comes up suddenly everyone's an expert on Sony history. It's easy to make up stories to fit a persons personal agenda.

Those who are interested in what really happened have no reason to tell stories. They're the ones that do the research & learn the true sequence of events leading to their reduced position in the industry.

Reading just two or three articles is hardly enough to get a clear picture.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 15, 2013, 01:58 AM
Samsung has been around since 1938. Pretty sure they will be fine without Apple.

Yea, completely irrelevant to my point and also wrong logic. Sony has been around since 1946 but they're falling apart. Just because they've been around for a long time doesn't mean they will forever. Microsoft has been around for a somewhat long time. Apple has been too. Doesn't mean they will forever.

JaySoul
Apr 15, 2013, 02:37 AM
I don't think the OP is really trolling to be honest.

Samsung are absolutely smashing it right now, that's hardly news.

And they've got their fingers in products, design, manufacture, software, not to mention the gradual building of an ecosystem.

Apple do need to be careful. They can pretend like Samsung are not direct rivals but that is a delusional stance.

roxxette
Apr 15, 2013, 02:42 AM
Yea, completely irrelevant to my point and also wrong logic. Sony has been around since 1946 but they're falling apart. Just because they've been around for a long time doesn't mean they will forever. Microsoft has been around for a somewhat long time. Apple has been too. Doesn't mean they will forever.

Samsung heavy industries= one of the largest shipbuilders in the world :) samsung its more than phones, tablets and tvs.

0dev
Apr 15, 2013, 03:58 AM

I hope you realise that pretty much all LCD panels in all TVs are actually made by Samsung...

Anyway, OP linked to a Gawker site as a source so all credibility they could have possibly had just went right out the window.

----------

Indeed. The banks learnt the hard way that there's no such thing as too big to fail.

mentaluproar
Apr 15, 2013, 04:09 AM
indeed. The banks learnt the hard way that there's no such thing as too big to fail.

hahahaha!

Irishman
Apr 15, 2013, 06:49 AM

Exynos vs A# chips are just alike in every way, except that they're not. Especially if we look at the way that Apple gets better battery life for their processors (optimizing and clocking down) vs what Samsung is doing (Octa-core).

The worst part of it is recently, when Best Buy started to talk about Samsung Experience shops. It's like Apple invented store-within-a-store according to some people.

Apple has had them for years. They've been locating them strategically to be across the street from Samsung stores-within-a-store.

Oh, wait, my bad. That's wrong. They couldn't have planned them that way a decade ago because Samsung wasn't doing TVs, smartphones, etc in the US market!

quasinormal
Apr 15, 2013, 07:31 AM

LG for starters.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-10/samsung-office-searched-by-police-in-oled-technology-leak-probe.html

paulsalter
Apr 15, 2013, 07:34 AM
I hope Samsung don't kill off Apple quite yet

I want to see the Apple TV come out and then Samsung decide to make a TV

A Samsung TV that integrates with the rest of my Samsung kit would be great

mattopotamus
Apr 15, 2013, 08:01 AM

So true, and it is just icing on the cake that they are also the cheapest. LED's give me a headache with their "soap opera" effect =/

daneoni
Apr 15, 2013, 08:11 AM
Indeed. The banks learnt the hard way that there's no such thing as too big to fail.

Banks failed because they loaned money they didn't have and we're never going to get back. Different ball game.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 15, 2013, 08:17 AM
I hope Samsung don't kill off Apple quite yet

I want to see the Apple TV come out and then Samsung decide to make a TV

A Samsung TV that integrates with the rest of my Samsung kit would be great

I hope your being sarcastic. Samsung is deep in the SmartTV game now.

mattopotamus
Apr 15, 2013, 08:21 AM

and they make some of the best tv's on the market.

0dev
Apr 15, 2013, 08:50 AM
Banks failed because they loaned money they didn't have and we're never going to get back. Different ball game.

Actually the ones that really failed are the ones that bought the collateral debt obligations containing the mortgages lent to people who couldn't pay it back. The others who were smart shorted those CDOs with credit default swaps and actually made a nice profit.

But my point is, if a business does stupid ****, they will fail no matter how big they are. That's true in any industry.

paulsalter
Apr 15, 2013, 09:02 AM

yup, forgot the sarcasm tab

give it a while though, and Apple will get credited with inventing the TV

saha-med
Apr 15, 2013, 09:06 AM
yup, forgot the sarcasm tab

give it a while though, and Apple will get credited with inventing the TV

if anything they would do the tv, its probably revolutionize it...

But nooooo... revolutionize means invent in ur dictonary and u have to make fun of that

paulsalter
Apr 15, 2013, 09:09 AM
if anything they would do the tv, its probably revolutionize it...

But nooooo... revolutionize means invent in ur dictonary and u have to make fun of that

I hope they do revolutionise the TV industry

Personally I cannot see it (going by how the Apple TV box works)

saha-med
Apr 15, 2013, 09:17 AM
I hope they do revolutionise the TV industry

Personally I cannot see it (going by how the Apple TV box works)

Yeah, i hope any company which can, do revolutionize any part of technology (and take credit for revolutionizing it)...

Michael Goff
Apr 15, 2013, 09:25 AM
Apple has had them for years. They've been locating them strategically to be across the street from Samsung stores-within-a-store.

Oh, wait, my bad. That's wrong. They couldn't have planned them that way a decade ago because Samsung wasn't doing TVs, smartphones, etc in the US market!

Store-within-a-store existed long before Apple started to do it...

saha-med
Apr 15, 2013, 09:31 AM

Oh yeah u mean how it existed as a failed concept for tech stores till apple did it?

Michael Goff
Apr 15, 2013, 10:10 AM
Oh yeah u mean how it existed as a failed concept for tech stores till apple did it?

So... you're moving the goal-post.

It doesn't matter who did it first, unless it's Apple. If other companies did it first, and it didn't pan out, then oh well it never happened?

saha-med
Apr 15, 2013, 10:14 AM
So... you're moving the goal-post.

It doesn't matter who did it first, unless it's Apple. If other companies did it first, and it didn't pan out, then oh well it never happened?

Yeah thats what i been trying to put out with folks around me too.

U could have a bad idea, and if i took it and make it a great idea... shouldnt i deserve credit?

sentinelsx
Apr 15, 2013, 10:20 AM
Nah Samsung will not kill Apple. But combined, both Samsung and LG will kill Sony, HTC, and possibly Nokia if WP8 doesn't lift off faster (which i really hope it does, MS marketing and developers relations dept. sucks hard though).

Sony ZL was a brave attempt but i noticed two things when i used it, the squarish design is ergonomically awkward, the back rubber feeling is also awkward, and the over all design looks bland compared to Xperias of the older generations like X10 or Arc, those really stood out.

And their skin while light, was lagging quite a bit with more than 2 widgets placed on home screen, something i have come to think of as a thing of past with current smartphones.

And the poor viewing angles don't help either (tested and confirmed personally). It is so annoying that the screen switches from ultra sharp to a little fuzzy if i move my eyes.

daneoni
Apr 15, 2013, 10:32 AM
But my point is, if a business does stupid ****, they will fail no matter how big they are. That's true in any industry.

Repeated stupid decisions will cause downfall but i dont see Apple repeatedly making foolish decisions. No matter how much online tech geeks want Apple to fail I don't see it happening. Tech geeks have been predicting Apple's demise since forever yet each quarter Apple keeps laughing all the way to the bank.

Apple recognises the threat Sony didn't which is why the A7 has been shifted to TSMC and Display supplies are been transferred to LG, Sharp, AUO and Innolux. Apple has failed miserably before. It's that haunting history that will drive them to prevent a reoccurrence.

Without Apple and Google, Samsung is nothing in the mobile space. Sony is the cause of its own demise.

Michael Goff
Yeah thats what i been trying to put out with folks around me too.

U could have a bad idea, and if i took it and make it a great idea... shouldnt i deserve credit?

You deserve credit... in the way that you made it work. You don't deserve the credit for being "innovative", you didn't make the idea. Your credit is making it work, not making it.

cynics
So true, and it is just icing on the cake that they are also the cheapest. LED's give me a headache with their "soap opera" effect =/

That's from all the 120/240 hertz crap. If you turn it off (all manufactures have an off function) then the picture won't have that soap opera effect.

I'm the same way. While I don't get headaches I don't like the effect so I turn it off.

0dev
Apr 15, 2013, 10:38 AM
Repeated stupid decisions will cause downfall but i dont see apple repeatedly making foolish decisions. No matter how much online tech geeks want Apple to fail I don't see it happening. Tech geeks have been predicting Apple's demise since forever yet each quarter Apple keeps laughing all the way to the bank.

Apple recognises the threat Sony didn't which is why the A7 has been shifted to TSMC and Display supplies are been transferred to LG, Sharp, AUO and Innolux. Apple has failed miserably before. It's that haunting history that will drive them to prevent a reoccurrence.

Without Apple and Google, Samsung is nothing in the mobile space.

I think Apple will be around for a while but they won't stay as big as they are for much longer. The tech industry is fast moving and companies are always outpacing each other. When it comes to smartphones for example, that was a market largely owned by Nokia and RIM. Then Apple came along and took over. Now Samsung is taking it from Apple. Next it'll be someone else. That's the way it works.

mattopotamus
Apr 15, 2013, 10:51 AM
That's from all the 120/240 hertz crap. If you turn it off (all manufactures have an off function) then the picture won't have that soap opera effect.

I'm the same way. While I don't get headaches I don't like the effect so I turn it off.

I know what you are talking about, but it still is very noticeable with everything except sports. I always turn off the "motion smoother" or whatever else name they give it, but it makes shows look like they are filmed very funny.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 15, 2013, 12:40 PM
Repeated stupid decisions will cause downfall but i dont see Apple repeatedly making foolish decisions. No matter how much online tech geeks want Apple to fail I don't see it happening. Tech geeks have been predicting Apple's demise since forever yet each quarter Apple keeps laughing all the way to the bank.

Without Apple and Google, Samsung is nothing in the mobile space. Sony is the cause of its own demise.

Apple has basically destroyed Sony in the portable music player market with the iPod. But let's not forget, it's only been around a decade since that happened. The iPod is what really put Apple back on the map, but nowadays people are less dependent on stand alone players and more inclined to use their smartphones for media, especially with cloud storage becoming the norm. If users keep switching from the iPhone at the current pace we see now, Apple will lose it's reign in the portable market.

Apple will need to completely reinvent the iPhone/iOS or really pick up the pace with each upgrade. The gradual evolution that Apple prides itself on isn't going to cut it forever, and signs are already showing so.

The only strong point Apple has to keep it's iPhone users is it's ecosystem. Many with Macs and iPads might feel persuaded to stay with the iPhone. I'm not sure how strong of a point that really is being I and others I know have other Apple products but still left the iPhone. Also, Samsung's ecosystem is getting bigger at a fast rate. Soon all new models of TVs will be smart TVs. And guess who's going to be the biggest seller? No doubt Samsung will. That will be a major selling point to get a Galaxy phone which integrates perfectly.

I see iPads soon to take a fall too, just based on price alone w/ the added slow change of iOS.

daneoni
Apr 15, 2013, 02:17 PM
Apple has basically destroyed Sony in the portable music player market with the iPod. But let's not forget, it's only been around a decade since that happened. The iPod is what really put Apple back on the map, but nowadays people are less dependent on stand alone players and more inclined to use their smartphones for media, especially with cloud storage becoming the norm. If users keep switching from the iPhone at the current pace we see now, Apple will lose it's reign in the portable market.

Apple will need to completely reinvent the iPhone/iOS or really pick up the pace with each upgrade. The gradual evolution that Apple prides itself on isn't going to cut it forever, and signs are already showing so.

The only strong point Apple has to keep it's iPhone users is it's ecosystem. Many with Macs and iPads might feel persuaded to stay with the iPhone. I'm not sure how strong of a point that really is being I and others I know have other Apple products but still left the iPhone. Also, Samsung's ecosystem is getting bigger at a fast rate. Soon all new models of TVs will be smart TVs. And guess who's going to be the biggest seller? No doubt Samsung will. That will be a major selling point to get a Galaxy phone which integrates perfectly.

I see iPads soon to take a fall too, just based on price alone w/ the added slow change of iOS.

Most of the switchers are geeks who have ADD. Most consumers still pick the iPhone, their issue is pricing which is why the iPhone 4/4S and iPad mini are making a killing.

Apple has already noticed this hence the release of the mini and rumours of a cheaper iPhone incoming. iOS is still more than enough for a lot of people hence why Apple tops satisfaction surveys. Also Apple isn't exactly standing still on iOS either. Android and others went through accelerated growth because they had to or face extinction. iOS needs growth but not in a as drastic manner.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 15, 2013, 02:31 PM
Samsung heavy industries= one of the largest shipbuilders in the world :) samsung its more than phones, tablets and tvs.

How is any of what you just said relevant or counter to my point? I have made two points thus far.

One: Samsung did not kill Sony. Sony killed themselves.
Two: No company is "too big" to fall. If it weren't for governments, more banks and larger ones, would have fallen.

roxxette
Apr 15, 2013, 02:40 PM
How is any of what you just said relevant or counter to my point? I have made two points thus far.

Two: No company is "too big" to fall. If it weren't for governments, more banks and larger ones, would have fallen.

Well you started with "Samsung started by copy apple etc" and store within store bs etc :)

Samsung is involved in different bussines and they actually make the stuff they sell and supply others even competitors like Sony and Apple.

Irishman
Apr 15, 2013, 04:57 PM

you missed my point.

lazard
Apr 15, 2013, 06:04 PM

One: agree
Two: Disagree. You're really comparing banks to a conglomerate? Samsung is more than diversified enough to survive any economic disaster. In fact, Samsung was one of the few companies to come out of the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis relatively unscathed.

Samsung Electronics - World's largest IT company by revenue
Samsung Heavy Industries - 2nd largest shipbuilder
Samsung Engineering - 35th largest construction company
Samsung Life - 14th largest life insurance company
Cheil Worldwide - 19th largest advertising agency

roxxette
Apr 15, 2013, 08:09 PM
Two: Disagree. You're really comparing banks to a conglomerate? Samsung is more than diversified enough to survive any economic disaster. In fact, Samsung was one of the few companies to come out of the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis relatively unscathed.

Lets hope he now gets it and leave Samsung out :) its a real powerhouse

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 16, 2013, 03:31 PM

It doesn't matter what I'm comparing. Thinking that something is invincible and cannot be brought down is naive. The possibility of Samsung declaring bankruptcy? Extremely unlikely. But able to "survive any economic disaster"? That is foolish. But since ignorance is bliss and I'm assuming you live in the US, you can believe whatever you want.

----------

Lets hope he now gets it and leave Samsung out :) its a real powerhouse

Get what? We all have Google. Even a kid from the first grade knows how to do a Google search. It ain't that hard.

----------

Well you started with "Samsung started by copy apple etc" and store within store bs etc :)

Samsung is involved in different bussines and they actually make the stuff they sell and supply others even competitors like Sony and Apple.

Well they did. Copying and who did it first are two separate things. There is no shame in copying someone. Apple copies other companies too.

Samsung is indeed doing business where Apple is not. But that doesn't mean they aren't doing business where Apple is.

roxxette
Apr 16, 2013, 03:51 PM
You just cant admit that Samsung will never go down :) fair enough

Btw samsung been on same bussines long before apple did.

iPhoneXL
Apr 16, 2013, 04:28 PM
The only thing that Samsung has going is their larger displays, but nothing else. I wonder how long it is going to take for Tim Cook to realize that 4" screen is to small for most.

macrem
Apr 16, 2013, 05:05 PM
I remember several years ago hearing predictions that Samsung would overtake Sony. How did they know? At the time, Sony had many cool products. I had a Sony tv, stereo, Cliés (IMO Sony had better hardware than Palm), a Walkman, was interested in VAIO, & probably a few other products I am forgetting now but no product I owned was from Samsung. My image of Sony was very high & Samsung was pretty low. Now I have a Samsung TV, a Samsung computer monitor, if I were ever to go for an Android phone again it would most likely be Samsung.

roxxette
Apr 16, 2013, 07:32 PM
The only thing that Samsung has going is their larger displays, but nothing else. I wonder how long it is going to take for Tim Cook to realize that 4" screen is to small for most.

If you can see this next time reset your router before logging in another account or buy some socks, that way you dont get banned so soon.

MyiBill
Apr 18, 2013, 05:39 PM
I bought a Sony TV. Dont know what your talking about

adder7712
Apr 19, 2013, 12:41 AM

I have to agree, our 42" Pansonic with the neo Plasma panel still displays spectacular visuals.

APlotdevice
Apr 19, 2013, 04:25 AM

Completely reinventing the operating system didn't work well for Palm or Microsoft, and doesn't seem to be working for RIM/Blackberry either.

CEmajr
Apr 19, 2013, 06:15 AM
Completely reinventing the operating system didn't work well for Palm or Microsoft, and doesn't seem to be working for RIM/Blackberry either.

Agreed. Change for the sake of change never worked well for any company.

superstarmc
Apr 19, 2013, 06:46 AM
They will maintain a strong second which is better than most companies will do.

adder7712
Apr 19, 2013, 06:48 AM
Also the OP implies Samsung products are 1:1 copies of Apple products.