PDA

View Full Version : MBA Storage

Blackspeare
Apr 14, 2013, 04:45 PM
I need help! My MBA (64 GB) is filling up storage too quickly. When I use Onyx or CC to clean all I get is 2-3 GBs of free space and then two days later I have to clean again.

When I check the storage info, there is almost 50 GBs of storage being used for "Other". My own folders and file, under Finder, only amount to a few hundred MBs of storage and the Apps are 4 GBs so I don't know what all the "Other" is?!

Could anyone recommend a cleaner, free or pay I don't care, that can find these "Other" folders and files that are not needed so I can delete them.

Thanks.

MrGimper
Apr 14, 2013, 06:45 PM
I need help! My MBA (64 GB) is filling up storage too quickly. When I use Onyx or CC to clean all I get is 2-3 GBs of free space and then two days later I have to clean again.

When I check the storage info, there is almost 50 GBs of storage being used for "Other". My own folders and file, under Finder, only amount to a few hundred MBs of storage and the Apps are 4 GBs so I don't know what all the "Other" is?!

Could anyone recommend a cleaner, free or pay I don't care, that can find these "Other" folders and files that are not needed so I can delete them.

Thanks.

Grab DaisyDisk from the Mac App Store ... it will help you find out where your space is being used up.

wolfpuppies3
Apr 17, 2013, 07:40 AM
Give very strong consideration to replacing that teeny SSD with one of a more practical size.

Mike Oxard
Apr 17, 2013, 09:46 AM
It could be local time machine backups taking the space, IIRC these are deleted if you turn TM off then back on, though I think the OS will get rid of them if it needs the space. You can turn off local TM backups:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/28/disable-time-machine-local-backups-in-mac-os-x-lion/

Weaselboy
Apr 17, 2013, 10:35 AM
Give very strong consideration to replacing that teeny SSD with one of a more practical size.

That is completely unnecessary. A default OS X install with iLife and iWork takes about 20GB. OP says he has less than 1GB of data, so he should have well over 30GB of space left.

OP>> I think Mike is on target. If you have Time Machine on it temporarily stores some files locally that take up space.

stchman
Apr 17, 2013, 01:55 PM

Could not agree more, OWC sells the 120GB SSD for the MBA for < $200.