PDA

View Full Version : *Roll up!* It's 2013 MBA season: Show us a realistic spec that would make YOU buy it!

Jobsian
Apr 15, 2013, 03:12 AM
I woke up this morning suddenly excited at the thought of the next MBA. My current 2012 one is nigh on perfect but there are some changes that would certainly make me swap it for a 2013 model.

So what configuration would you need to see to take the plunge? You define what's realistic :)

Me: Battery battery battery. It's the only bottleneck I hit on a regular basis. According to Intel, Haswell is going to make the biggest "generation to generation" gain on battery life.

The spec that would make me buy the 2013 11 inch version:

Intel Haswell CPU/GPU - whatever the fastest is, would speed up encodes that bit more
8GB RAM (I have no need for more)
512GB SSD (An upgrade from my current 256 would be welcomed, no need to juggle between external storage anymore)
7 Hour battery (upgraded from 5) - I ALWAYS zero the current battery and imagine I have the world record on cycle count for the 2012 model
IPS Screen if possible, if not a bump in screen res - can't imagine Retina without a big battery hit
Thinner bezel - would love to see this
802.11 ac wifi - faster, longer range
Magsafe 3 - I don't like Magsafe 2's vertical plane flimsiness at all
Bonus - Black Aluminium - would look very sleek imo

Seeing it written down, I can't see any huge improvement functionally over my current one. But if the battery were significantly increased, that alone would justify the upgrade to me.

TC25
Apr 15, 2013, 05:46 AM
Missed the existing threads on this same topic, eh? :rolleyes:

Thread 1 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1565891)
Thread 2 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1566985)

Jobsian
Apr 15, 2013, 07:13 AM

Similar but it's not a forecast thread nor a single feature wish, which both those threads are. Simply what 'realistic' spec would make you personally fork out for one.

Psychj0e
Apr 15, 2013, 07:19 AM

I'd like them to take the 11" macbook air, and actually replace the stupid 2" bevel with screen so it becomes a 13" macbook air...

1member1
Apr 15, 2013, 07:26 AM
wait a moment. you want a new megasafe connector ? they just changed it..

CD3660
Apr 15, 2013, 07:30 AM
I'd like them to take the 11" macbook air, and actually replace the stupid 2" bevel with screen so it becomes a 13" macbook air...

Excellent idea! :)

Abazigal
Apr 15, 2013, 07:45 AM
Not to burst your bubble, but I expect any revision this year to be far more conservative.

haswell processor
faster wireless
option to upgrade to 768gb SSD (but be prepared to pay through the nose)

I don't expect Apple to mess around with the battery, since that would involve a redesign of the macbook's frame for what is likely a marginal benefit at best, and I expect Apple to stick with this design for as long as they can.

Possibly retain only the 4gb ram/128gb SSD 11" and 13" models, introduce a small price cut and make them the default models. Having a 64gb model makes little sense when you already have the 128gb ipad model.

I don't think the screen size or resolution will change.

jjfcpa
Apr 15, 2013, 07:55 AM
If you're willing to pay for it... and I am...

768 gig SSD
smaller bezel (definitely)
higher res (definitely)
16 gig RAM (I run VMware and can always use more!)
black option (how many MBA's have you seen with the black covers on them)
faster processor (but the current one isn't bad)

Love the current size and weight, but the need-for-speed is always there.

Jessica Lares
Apr 15, 2013, 07:58 AM
I just want them to put the black bezel, like the MBPs have, Otherwise it's totally not even considerable for me.

DisplacedMic
Apr 15, 2013, 10:23 AM
Not to burst your bubble, but I expect any revision this year to be far more conservative.

haswell processor
faster wireless
option to upgrade to 768gb SSD (but be prepared to pay through the nose)

I don't expect Apple to mess around with the battery, since that would involve a redesign of the macbook's frame for what is likely a marginal benefit at best, and I expect Apple to stick with this design for as long as they can.

Possibly retain only the 4gb ram/128gb SSD 11" and 13" models, introduce a small price cut and make them the default models. Having a 64gb model makes little sense when you already have the 128gb ipad model.

I don't think the screen size or resolution will change.

the haswell chip alone should improve battery life...this makes the 11" very attractive to me as that's definitely the bottleneck. i don't care about retina or card readers or hdmit or blueray or any of that on my ultraportables - what i want is a fast, reliable machine that can get me through the day.

just my opinion.

Abazigal
Apr 15, 2013, 10:29 AM
How significant is haswell anyways?

Opinions on the web seem to vary from a marginal to fairly significant improvement in battery life. The main draw appears to be much better graphics performance, which seems more significant in the 13" retina macbook (since it lacks a discrete graphics card).

jdechko
Apr 15, 2013, 01:07 PM
Haswell is pretty much a given, so I expect the usual performance gains, graphics boost and better battery life.

I'd like to see 802.11ac on board, but what I really hope is that they bump the storage capacities and keep the price points. If not across the line, then at least consolidate the 11" and keep 2-13" models.

In any case, I'll hopefully pick up a 11"/8GB/128GB model.

stchman
Apr 15, 2013, 04:35 PM
I just want them to put the black bezel, like the MBPs have, Otherwise it's totally not even considerable for me.

I actually prefer the aluminum bezel around the screen of the MBA. It looks much nicer than the MBP ro rMBP.

Jessica Lares
Apr 15, 2013, 05:03 PM
I actually prefer the aluminum bezel around the screen of the MBA. It looks much nicer than the MBP ro rMBP.

If it wasn't prone to warping, I could deal with it. :o

stchman
Apr 15, 2013, 05:05 PM
If it wasn't prone to warping, I could deal with it. :o

First I've heard of the aluminum bezel warping.

NutsNGum
Apr 15, 2013, 05:09 PM

Agree with this, completely!

zedsdead
Apr 16, 2013, 08:32 AM
I have a 2010 Air, and will be upgrading this year.

However, the deal breaker for me is the screen. If the Air does not get at least an IPS panel, then the Air will not be a consideration and I will jump to the Retina Pro. I don't expect a retna in the air because of battery life, but Apple needs a better panel in there. That's the only thing that really bothers me.

I also need a Core I Series processor for mobile video editing, the core2duo can't cut it.

Bt the screen is the main thing. Anything else they do is a bonus.

merkinmuffley
Apr 16, 2013, 09:20 AM
16 gb is #1 for me, #2 is higher res screen

gnasher729
Apr 16, 2013, 10:35 AM
It's missing the point. Only the weirdest of fanboys would ditch a perfectly fine 2012 Mac for a 2013 Mac (or those who are very, very organised and constantly sell their last year Mac on eBay).

Buyers of Macs fall mainly into three categories: 1. Mac users with Macs that are getting either a bit old or really old, or that have broken down. There is not much difference between a 2012 Mac and a 2013 Mac, but a lot of difference between a 2009 and 2013 Mac. 2. Windows users that had enough. 3. First time computer buyers, mostly kids growing up. Sales to owners of 2012 Macs are minimal.

MarkHarrisonUK
Apr 16, 2013, 11:13 AM
It's missing the point. Only the weirdest of fanboys would ditch a perfectly fine 2012 Mac for a 2013 Mac (or those who are very, very organised and constantly sell their last year Mac on eBay).

Buyers of Macs fall mainly into three categories: 1. Mac users with Macs that are getting either a bit old or really old, or that have broken down. There is not much difference between a 2012 Mac and a 2013 Mac, but a lot of difference between a 2009 and 2013 Mac. 2. Windows users that had enough. 3. First time computer buyers, mostly kids growing up. Sales to owners of 2012 Macs are minimal.

4: Users with one Mac who want an additional one. Microsoft did great things in the last 10 years persuading people that they wanted more than one computer... Apple seem to be riding that wave. I know plenty of people in their 40s who started with a computer in the "home office", but now have one in the kitchen and the living room as well... And that's ignoring the people with a desktop Mac who suddenly want a laptop as well... Or an MBA who want a, if you'll pardon the expression Big Mac for stuff at home.

DJLC
Apr 16, 2013, 11:23 AM
MagSafe 3? You sure you're not working in Apple's accounting dept.? That sounds like a brilliant way to pick up some extra cash.

I'll probably be buying the 2013 model anyway my 2012 is provided by my employer, and I'll have to return it when I leave this job later this year. But I would love to see black aluminum and a smaller bezel / IPS panel. I think the rest more RAM, SSD capacity, processor, battery life is pretty much a given.

JoEw
Apr 16, 2013, 11:34 AM
IPS
7 hours battery in 11" air
128gb baseline ssd (64gb really? Can't believe this has not been done sooner.)
Haswell
8gb baseline (16gb option)
Shrink bezel (probably wont happen)

blabliblu
Apr 17, 2013, 11:56 AM
Similar but it's not a forecast thread nor a single feature wish, which both those threads are. Simply what 'realistic' spec would make you personally fork out for one.

Your spec wishes are not exactly realistic. I made this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1565891&page=2) for a reason : unfortunately I've gotten used to what you can or cannot expect for a next update.

Intel Haswell CPU/GPU - Yes there will be, up to what an ultrabook can power
8GB RAM - on the end model, maybe it'll start at 8GB
512GB SSD - Impossible, simply impossible. Having an entry model at 128GB given the fact it costs nothing is possible, having an option for a 256GB for the end model is possible but don't count on a 512GB SSD model
7 Hour battery - Possible, even likely but it'll depend on the screen
IPS Screen - Unlikely that Apple switches to "IPS" but possibly bumps up the res
Thinner bezel - There won't be a redesign, but it's most wanted feature that Apple is probably considering
802.11 ac wifi - Likely
Magsafe 3 - Not. They just changed Magsafe and unless they found a new better tech, there's no need for an update (for Apple)
Black Aluminium - There won't be a redesign again. But when there is, my mate, I thought exactly of the same color/texture. It'll probably be black brushed aluminium.

So except for a redesign and a big hard drive, you're hope might be relevant, but don't get your expectation too high like I used too, because Apple has gone from a mostly innovation company, to a completely profit based company, so the less they pay for R&D, implementation, and production of innovation, while keeping the same prices and sales, the happier they are...

auhagen
Apr 17, 2013, 12:36 PM
My dream is following:

11" air with a resolution something like 1400 x 900
i7 dual is enough for me. But quad would be welcome if it still runs cool.
16gb ram - just to have enough for cad and other software / parallels.
512gb ssd - 256 is just not enough
7 hours of battery life

Thats all I want for my mobile needs.

jdechko
Apr 17, 2013, 01:12 PM
Am I missing something regarding the 512GB SSD, because it's already an option on both the 11 and 13".

auhagen
Apr 17, 2013, 01:35 PM
Am I missing something regarding the 512GB SSD, because it's already an option on both the 11 and 13".

Its too damn expensive imo.

DisplacedMic
Apr 17, 2013, 02:07 PM

i think people want it to be standard - ie not cost more.

jdechko
Apr 17, 2013, 03:11 PM
Its too damn expensive imo.

i think people want it to be standard - ie not cost more.

I figured that's why people are complaining. Some of the comments read like it wasn't even an option though.

Che Castro
Apr 17, 2013, 05:02 PM
How about a retina air ?

If they can manage to put a retina in the ipad mini maybe they could do it on the MacBook Air

Jobsian
Apr 18, 2013, 02:59 AM
Your spec wishes are not exactly realistic.

512GB SSD - Impossible, simply impossible. Having an entry model at 128GB given the fact it costs nothing is possible, having an option for a 256GB for the end model is possible but don't count on a 512GB SSD model

There's already a 512GB SSD option for both 13 and 11".

blabliblu
Apr 18, 2013, 07:35 AM
There's already a 512GB SSD option for both 13 and 11".

I know but the option is super expensive, and on the market a 512GB SSD also is expensive. So it's unlikely to see even the end 13" model at 512GB SSD. I think that except for the entry 11" that will be bumped at 128GB instead of 64GB, the rest will stay at the same capacity for another year.

Jobsian
Apr 18, 2013, 09:32 AM
I know but the option is super expensive, and on the market a 512GB SSD also is expensive. So it's unlikely to see even the end 13" model at 512GB SSD. I think that except for the entry 11" that will be bumped at 128GB instead of 64GB, the rest will stay at the same capacity for another year.
Ah that's what you meant by end model, gotcha :)

Bear
Apr 18, 2013, 10:40 AM
13" with 1080P screen resolution.
And of course better battery life is always good.

ToomeyND
Apr 18, 2013, 11:55 AM
16 gb ram and a quad processor. I'd be sold. But since I don't see that happening, I'm going to settle for sitting at a desk with a modded mini. I'm ordering as soon as my gift cards arrive! Thank you credit card points!

Lunchb0x8
Apr 18, 2013, 08:56 PM
16GB RAM
768GB or bigger SSD
A third USB3 port.
Retina Display
Quad Core Processor
Longer Battery Life.

Until all of these are available in a MBA body, I will stick with my 2012 MBA.

It handles my photo work and my SysAdmin work as well.

Bkxmnr
Apr 18, 2013, 10:15 PM
A cellular radio! With data plans like the iPad.

Bear
Apr 19, 2013, 09:12 AM
A cellular radio! With data plans like the iPad.This suggestion has a few pitfalls. The first is that anything with a cellular feature needs to be certified bt most countries equivalent of the FCC in the US. The second is would they sell enough for it to be worthwhile for all the hassle. And last it would have to be an option so people who didn't want it wouldn't have to pay for it. Making it an ecen smaller amount of Airs taht would be sold with the option.

Oh and it impacts battery life of course.

gpat
Apr 19, 2013, 03:24 PM
Nothing, I will keep my 2011 Pro either way.
And let's face it, it will be Haswell plus a WiFi revision, with more battery life as a consequence of the new chips.

In order for Apple to seriously improve the Air (not that it's needed) they would need to redesign it with only a 13" retina display with minimal bezel, so it would replace the 11" as well. Plus 10 hr battery and up to 16GB RAM / 1 TB SSD and it would be the perfect ultraportable.

BenTrovato
Apr 19, 2013, 05:29 PM
I love my 2012 Air. I would only plan to upgrade when Retina + battery life gets a boost.

DisplacedMic
Apr 20, 2013, 07:21 AM
16GB RAM
768GB or bigger SSD
A third USB3 port.
Retina Display
Quad Core Processor
Longer Battery Life.

Until all of these are available in a MBA body, I will stick with my 2012 MBA.

It handles my photo work and my SysAdmin work as well.

...he said in 2016:p;)

Scottsdale
Apr 20, 2013, 11:31 PM
I have been a long time MacBook Air fan. I have owned every version. I briefly switched to a 15.4" Retina MacBook Pro. However, I switched back to the MBA. I am currently using a 13" MBA 2012 model. I love all the specs, but I need three things to make me happy with the 2013 model.

IPS Display - It doesn't have to be Retina, but it needs to be a 1200p display with 16x10 resolution. I really don't like the 16x9 display in the 11" MBA so I will pass on 1080p.

16GB RAM - I really like the 16GB RAM the 15" rMBP has available. I am shocked it isn't available in the 13" rMBP. I want it in my MBA.

HDMI Port - Okay, I am really being a baby here, but I want most an HDMI port added to the MBA. Put it on the right side. Leave all the other ports as is. I have AppleTV boxes everywhere possible, and I love that functionality. However, sometimes I am traveling in a hotel, and I want to connect the MBA to the HDTV in the room. I have to use the dongle, from Thunderbolt which works. However, I enjoyed that feature on the 15" rMBP more than I could have imagined.

To me, it's obvious the Haswell CPU/GPU combo will be a modest update. I am fine with the speed. I also think it will be 2014 or 2015 before we see a redesigned MBA. When that happens, I want to see a smaller footprint 13" MBA, and I want them to completely eliminate the bezel and go with a 14" LCD. Also, I don't know why everyone needs more battery, but to me the 13" MBA has great battery life for such a thin and lightweight computer.

And I just thought of something else... I really would like Apple to just start using Samsung SSDs and LCDs again in MacBooks and not worry about the damn feud with Samsung. While Samsung is on its own quest to sell computers, they are not a threat to OS X and Macs like the Galaxy series phones are to iOS and iPhones. I am sick of the LG crappy LCDs and lackluster SSDs that just don't compete with what Samsung used to provide. GET OVER IT APPLE!

Mackan
Apr 20, 2013, 11:50 PM
I
16GB RAM - I really like the 16GB RAM the 15" rMBP has available. I am shocked it isn't available in the 13" rMBP. I want it in my MBA.

Shocked in what way? It's an artificial limit set by Apple, so that you are forced to consider buying the 15'' rMBP instead, so they make more profit. Apple has always been doing this to their customers.

Woodcrest64
Apr 20, 2013, 11:59 PM
For my wife. I'm happy with my 15" Retina Macbook Pro

1.6Ghz or faster Quad Core Haswell
8gb of memory base and 16gb option
768gb SSD option
802.11ac
Retina Display

Jobsian
Apr 21, 2013, 03:32 AM
I have been a long time MacBook Air fan. I have owned every version. I briefly switched to a 15.4" Retina MacBook Pro. However, I switched back to the MBA. I am currently using a 13" MBA 2012 model. I love all the specs, but I need three things to make me happy with the 2013 model.

IPS Display - It doesn't have to be Retina, but it needs to be a 1200p display with 16x10 resolution. I really don't like the 16x9 display in the 11" MBA so I will pass on 1080p.

HDMI Port - Okay, I am really being a baby here, but I want most an HDMI port added to the MBA. Put it on the right side. Leave all the other ports as is. I have AppleTV boxes everywhere possible, and I love that functionality. However, sometimes I am traveling in a hotel, and I want to connect the MBA to the HDTV in the room. I have to use the dongle, from Thunderbolt which works. However, I enjoyed that feature on the 15" rMBP more than I could have imagined.

To me, it's obvious the Haswell CPU/GPU combo will be a modest update. I am fine with the speed. I also think it will be 2014 or 2015 before we see a redesigned MBA. When that happens, I want to see a smaller footprint 13" MBA, and I want them to completely eliminate the bezel and go with a 14" LCD. Also, I don't know why everyone needs more battery, but to me the 13" MBA has great battery life for such a thin and lightweight computer.

And I just thought of something else... I really would like Apple to just start using Samsung SSDs and LCDs again in MacBooks and not worry about the damn feud with Samsung. While Samsung is on its own quest to sell computers, they are not a threat to OS X and Macs like the Galaxy series phones are to iOS and iPhones. I am sick of the LG crappy LCDs and lackluster SSDs that just don't compete with what Samsung used to provide. GET OVER IT APPLE!
THE Scottsdale! It's been a looooooong time! Good to see you back :) Agreed on the HDMI and about using ubiquitous Samsung hardware (instead of the current lottery).

Scottsdale
Apr 21, 2013, 04:25 PM
THE Scottsdale! It's been a looooooong time! Good to see you back :) Agreed on the HDMI and about using ubiquitous Samsung hardware (instead of the current lottery).

I suppose it has been a few years since I spent any time writing here. However, I have been following along reading.

Tim Cook appears headed in the wrong direction. I want to see Apple innovate again. Blow away the competition by innovation rather than courts and changing suppliers. If they spent their time making great new innovations, they would win!

Good to hear from you! Cheers everyone.

skaertus
Apr 21, 2013, 06:13 PM
Here's my take:

Redesign: No, it's not impossible, even though most people think it's unlikely. The last redesign of the MBA was in late 2010, two and a half years ago. The first redesign was, well, two and a half years after the product launch (which occurred in early 2008). Windows laptop manufacturers are coming with innovative designs and new ones, even better, will come up after the release of Haswell. If Apple doesn't update the MBA, it will get behind premium ultrabooks. Will Apple do it? I don't know, especially because it will cannibalize on 13" rMBP sales. But then, sales of the 13" rMBP are being less than stellar, and delaying improvements to the MBA doesn't sound like a good strategy, especially when everybody else is trying hard to take on Apple these days.

Lighter: Yes, I expect a redesigned MBA to be lighter, and with a thinner bezel. I would expect weight to drop to some 2.6-2.7 lbs for the 13" model. Competitors are doing it, and so should Apple.

Retina Display: When Apple redesigns the MBA, it will come with an IPS retina display. Yes, a retina display consumes more battery and, to accommodate a bigger battery without a bigger chassis, a redesign is required. No, it's not technically impossible. Toshiba has just released the Kirabook, an ultrabook with only 2.6 lbs and a retina-quality display (2560x1440). And it doesn't even come with a Haswell processor, which is supposed to get a much better battery life. If Toshiba can do it, so can Apple, especially after Haswell is out. And expect a lot of retina-like displays by nearly every manufacturer after Haswell is released. Acer has already announced one at the January CES, and Samsung has showcased the 2560x1440 Series 9 in August last year. Apple is not ahead of the pack with the MBA, and it has to move at least to keep up.

Haswell: Of course, Haswell. The MBA will come with an ULV Haswell processor.

8 GB RAM: In the higher-end version, for sure. Not sure about the lower-end ones.

Faster wireless: That's probably going to happen.

7-hour battery life on all models: Even with a retina display and a lighter chassis, a 7-hour battery life is not impossible, and not even unlikely.

Perhaps Apple doesn't do all this. Perhaps Apple doesn't redesign the MBA, and/or perhaps Apple doesn't put an IPS retina display on it. The thread asked for some realistic improvements that would make me buy the MBA, and I listed mine. Now, some of them, although realistic, may not happen this year. Well, in this case, I'm not buying the MBA. I'll buy the 13" rMBP instead.

KylePowers
Apr 21, 2013, 06:13 PM
I agree that an HDMI port is super convenient, but just in case you haven't seen, there are cables (not just dongles) that are HDMI on one end and mini-displayport on the other, such as this one (http://www.amazon.com/Mini-DisplayPort-HDMI-Adapter-Cable/dp/B003OC6LWM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1366585876&sr=8-4&keywords=thunderbolt+to+hdmi+cable). Very convenient, though sucks if you need to use a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet/Firewire adapter (or Thunderbolt HDD, etc.) simultaneously.

Abazigal
Apr 23, 2013, 08:18 AM
A HDMI port would be useless to me, since my workplace still uses VGA projectors.

I think that's clearly why Apple went with thunderbolt. Essentially lets them "consolidate" all current and future ports into one port, so they don't have to make the agonising decision of what ports to include and which to leave out. That decision is in turn outsourced to the consumer, who typically needs just 1 of those ports (and and they earn more from the sale of adaptors).

aldocg
Apr 23, 2013, 09:17 PM
Here's my take, which I believe to be very Apple-like:

Consolidate the MBA to a single product, a 13" redesign:
Same size as 11" MBA, but 13.0" screen (the 13.3" rMBP is barely bigger)
13" screen at a smaller form-factor and lighter weight (900 grams, so even lighter than 11").
Keep the price at $999, and rMBP at $1299

Now you have a fantastic entry level Mac (13" like the old ones) at $999 and a higher grade Pro one for those who need better specs, at the cost of weight.

As for the redesign it'd be pretty much the same except IPS screen, smaller bezel(maybe like the rMBP) and little changes here and there(iPad mini like slate colour?).

Obviously the $999 version would be pretty limited hardware wise (64GB SSD, 4GB ram, lower clocked processor). There'd be an intermediate version at $1299 with double the SSD, RAM and a better processor(i7) for those who want great specs and great portability.

Scottsdale
Apr 23, 2013, 11:08 PM

13" screen at a smaller form-factor and lighter weight (900 grams, so even lighter than 11").

Now you have a fantastic entry level Mac (13" like the old ones) at $999 and a higher grade Pro one for those who need better specs, at the cost of weight.

As for the redesign it'd be pretty much the same except IPS screen, smaller bezel(maybe like the rMBP) and little changes here and there(iPad mini like slate colour?).

Obviously the $999 version would be pretty limited hardware wise (64GB SSD, 4GB ram, lower clocked processor). There'd be an intermediate version at $1299 with double the SSD, RAM and a better processor(i7) for those who want great specs and great portability.

The reason why I want it to be closer to the size of the 13" MBA is because it needs to be 16x10 format and needs to have the same space on and around keyboard. I don't like typing on the 11" MBA because not enough palm rest area. I also cannot stand the 16x9 format.

Good in theory and I wanted that once. But extensive use of an 11" MBA made me reconsider. I am spoiled by the space of the 13" MBA, so I think make it a little tiny bit smaller, and put a 14" LCD IPS 1920x1200 pixel display. And if it is Retina, it needs double that resolution. I want more desktop in the space available. I don't want it scaled.

Verix
Apr 24, 2013, 08:58 AM

I wish it were true, but that sounds way too optimistic. It's very unlikely for Apple to push through these major changes right now. I think all that will happen is Haswell in the air; possibly remove the entry 13''MBP so that people can only choose 13rMBP or MBA. And then another long wait begins for an actual substantial upgrade.
That, to me, sounds very "Apple-like" nowadays.

IJBrekke
Apr 27, 2013, 12:23 AM
I own a 2010 11" MBA. It's not fast, but because of the size and weight it is extremely functional as a secondary mobile computer.

I understand that newer models are far better in almost every measurable way, but because of what I use it for I'm just not that interested in spec bumps.

The thing that would make me purchase a new model is a MBA-iPad hybrid, ala many of the Windows 8 machines. I would absolutely love to have both in one device. Judging by what I've read, however, I may be waiting a while.

JoEw
Apr 27, 2013, 02:13 AM
It sounds like everything people want is in the 13" rMBP already it is only a few hundred dollars more than the mba 13" now may as well get that having used one in person it is very light and thin for everything it offers.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 27, 2013, 02:39 AM
Likely:

Haswell
WiFi 802.11AC
128GB SSD standard for both 11" and 13"

Less likely:

Retina display

PraisiX-windows
Apr 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
My dream is following:

7 hours of battery life

Whose Kool-Aid did you chuck? 256 is plenty, 512 gb ssd is way overkill, if you need that much storage, it's pretty sick.

B...
Apr 27, 2013, 03:45 PM
Whose Kool-Aid did you chuck? 256 is plenty, 512 gb ssd is way overkill, if you need that much storage, it's pretty sick.

No, some people need that space if they are editing video or photos all from their computer. But, since it is "just" the smallest laptop Apple makes and is not supposed to be used for video editing all the time, 256 is plenty for pretty much everyone who will buy the 11" MacBook Air.

flynz4
Apr 27, 2013, 04:14 PM

Welcome back Dave!!! I've missed your perspective.

Like Scottsdale, I have owned every version since I started (unlike Scotsdale... I started at "C", not "A"). I think the MBA is "THE PREMIUM" of all laptop computers.

I currently use the 512GB model... and it is a bit overkill... but I have gotten close to filling it on certain trips.

I never really thought about integral HDMI. Given that it still would require a cable... is the TB dongle really that much of an inconvenience?

I would love cellular radio built in if I could use it like I do with our iPads ($10/month) on the AT&T mobile share plan. I would be able to ditch the mobile hotspot... which I really only use for the laptop.

/Jim

ZBoater
Apr 27, 2013, 04:54 PM

Ummm, no it isn't.

I have over 30GB of iOS apps alone, not to mention music and videos.

I could use a 1TB SSD...

flynz4
Apr 27, 2013, 07:21 PM

What I like about this thread is that nobody ever falls into the trap of thinking that everyone else's needs are always identical their own.

/Jim

Abazigal
Apr 28, 2013, 01:28 AM

Apple already offers the option to upgrade to 512gb of storage. I see no harm, if you don't need it, then don't select that option when ordering online?

auhagen
Apr 28, 2013, 03:55 AM

Let me say it like this.

OSX + programs = 50gb
Win7 + programs = 60gb
Music (lossless) = 130gb
Documents = 2gb
Images = 3gb
Raw files = 40gb
Work folder = 30gb

As you can see I need the space. Right now I'm not able to have all my files on my 250 gb ssd in my MBP..

But I guess I must be pretty sick, my server have 4TB of space, and is almost full..

DMH3006
Apr 28, 2013, 01:32 PM
Let me say it like this.

OSX + programs = 50gb
Win7 + programs = 60gb
Music (lossless) = 130gb
Documents = 2gb
Images = 3gb
Raw files = 40gb
Work folder = 30gb

As you can see I need the space. Right now I'm not able to have all my files on my 250 gb ssd in my MBP..

But I guess I must be pretty sick, my server have 4TB of space, and is almost full..

Get an external USB3 or TB drive,an SSD of 1TB would cost a price of a MacBook Air alone,even a 512GB SSD is around 500$ so for a device thats supposed to cost 999$/1299$ a 512GB is way too expensive to put in it as a standard configuration.

ZBoater
Apr 28, 2013, 07:00 PM
Get an external USB3 or TB drive,an SSD of 1TB would cost a price of a MacBook Air alone,even a 512GB SSD is around 500$ so for a device thats supposed to cost 999$/1299$ a 512GB is way too expensive to put in it as a standard configuration.

Yeah, but being able to have all your stuff right there with you without carrying extra stuff? Priceless... :D

Radiating
Apr 28, 2013, 07:03 PM
1920 x 1200 13.6" screen.

dlimes13
Apr 28, 2013, 07:05 PM
A Quad Core CPU, that is all.

16 GB RAM option would be nice, but a Quad would be priority 1.

racer1441
Apr 28, 2013, 08:23 PM
Longer battery, 8 to 10 hours.

AC wifi is worthless right now. Retina would be a battery drain.

SD card on the 11 would be good, but not a deal breaker.

thekev
Apr 29, 2013, 12:03 AM
My dream is following:

7 hours of battery life

The lowest tdp quad core cpu is currently 35W. I think it's just an underclocked version of one of the 45W variants. I would not expect quad cores to make it to the ULV line just yet, although it will eventually happen. i7 vs i5 means very little with dual core. The benchmarks are further apart with quad core i5s and i7s due to hyperthreading being disabled on quad i5s. I kind of doubt there will be a 16GB option too. 8 was the initial max specified by intel for ULVs initially, and it was a long time before that appeared in an Air. They seem to be satisfied that you must buy into the macbook pro line to meet some of these requirements. The new ones are ridiculously light, so I don't see a major difference in that aspect anyway.

auhagen
Apr 29, 2013, 02:03 AM

This is a wish thread about what "you" want.
Yes it would be expensive, but If I had to carry around an external drive everytime I needed to use a file thats not on the main drive, I would go insane.

I hate cables, and since I use my MBP everywhere, as most people would do with a iPad, it would be a real pain in the arse, to sit there with an attached drive.

----------

The lowest tdp quad core cpu is currently 35W. I think it's just an underclocked version of one of the 45W variants. I would not expect quad cores to make it to the ULV line just yet, although it will eventually happen. i7 vs i5 means very little with dual core. The benchmarks are further apart with quad core i5s and i7s due to hyperthreading being disabled on quad i5s. I kind of doubt there will be a 16GB option too. 8 was the initial max specified by intel for ULVs initially, and it was a long time before that appeared in an Air. They seem to be satisfied that you must buy into the macbook pro line to meet some of these requirements. The new ones are ridiculously light, so I don't see a major difference in that aspect anyway.

Yep thats some of the problems, but specs that would make me buy a 11' air, would be the spec list i posted. Anything else would make me buy a new MBP instead :)

BenTrovato
Apr 29, 2013, 04:49 PM
Retina and same battery life I would consider it. Retina + 8-10 hours, and I press the buy now button before even selling the current one.

irDigital0l
May 5, 2013, 06:28 PM
MBA 13-inch (no Retina display)
Haswell
4GB RAM
128GB flash storage
802.11ac Wi-Fi
OS X 10.9

Yoshi Yogurt
May 5, 2013, 07:14 PM
What I want for the 2014 model(Going to wait until then to get one.)

13" is fine
faster Cpu
512gb storage
8gb Ram
Intel 5000 graphics
Longer battery

All for $1500, but it will probably be more expensive. I'm saving $1500 by summer 2014 and I'm going to get whatever air fits that price.

erik7970
May 5, 2013, 09:57 PM
My wish list for an updated MacBook Air (13-inch)

-Haswell quad-core CPU clocked at a minimum of 1.6GHz
-256 SSD standard
-RAM expandable up to 16GB
-Better battery life (an additional hour is fine)
-802.11ac

Lower the price slightly, about $100 or so, or at the very least keep the same price points and I'm sold. I could live without a retina display or a redesign. I think my expectations aren't too unrealistic and I'm definitely hoping it happens because I'm looking to replace my dated 20-inch 2007 iMac.

PDFierro
May 5, 2013, 10:52 PM
I'm not picky. There are things I want improved, but I'm not expecting Retina or a redesign. Haswell (with superior battery life) is enough for me, but 768GB of storage would be awesome too.

HurryKayne
May 6, 2013, 04:24 AM
A Quad Core CPU, that is all.

16 GB RAM option would be nice, but a Quad would be priority 1.

Maybe this with Broadwell in 2014.
Quad are for Pro right now.
13" inch retina Pro is the step between Air 11-13 and Mb Pro 15-15 Retina,
but for me its just an overpriced Air.
I rather hope to see a dual Air i7 with Iris 5100 or 5200 insted of 4600.

HurryKayne
May 6, 2013, 04:35 AM
How about a retina air ?

If they can manage to put a retina in the ipad mini maybe they could do it on the MacBook Air

"Real"Air will gain retina when the Pro 13 (the overpriced Unofficial Air)
will gain the Quad core,
maybe next year,
there's a chance this year if all the notebook line will go to retina.
If this happens you'll have
Air 11 Retina dual (4600 Iris)
Air 13 Retina dual (5100 Iris) (5200 BTO?)

M.Book Pro 13 Retina Quad (Iris 5200)
M.Book Pro 15 Retina Quad (Iris 5200 + Nvidia 750M 1 GB )

Then next year you could see Quad everywhere...i hope.:o

But realistically i think we will see just a mere spec bump,
Haswell instead of Ivy ,Air dual not Retina with 4600 and Pro 13 with 5100 dual core.

strwrsfrk
May 6, 2013, 01:37 PM
so I think make it a little tiny bit smaller, and put a 14" LCD IPS 1920x1200 pixel display. And if it is Retina, it needs double that resolution. I want more desktop in the space available. I don't want it scaled.

Apple has had 13.3" screens for a while. It would be surprising if they suddenly jumped into 14" and dumped 13". Other than that, I agree completely with your sentiment. Native 1080p is far more attractive than 1880x1800 running at 1440x900, IMO.

My wants (from another thread):
* 11" resolution to 1600 x 900 or greater, with accompanying increase to ~12" lcd and slight decrease in bezel size
* 13" to 1680 x 1050 or greater.
* Enlarged trackpad on 11" I like the footprint of the 11", but would not mind a 1/4" depth extension to make room for this and the LCD.
* Options for at least one 10W ULV Intel CPU and at least one Intel CPU with improved graphics (likely higher TDP and accompanying decrease in battery life)
* Improved screen tech to IPS (no more TN)

MacRazySwe
May 7, 2013, 03:39 PM
I'm perfectly happy with my 2011 13" MBA.

However, there is always room for improvement. I use my MBA mainly for note-taking in classes, research and writing assignments. For this, the MBA is perfect. It's easy to carry around, it's sleek looking, and it's got plenty of speed for me. Best of all, the battery life is out of this world. Without WiFi, backlight set to the lowest level, I've achieved over 10 hrs of battery.

My only two complaints are the screen, and the squeaking chassis.

If the new, 2013 Haswell MBA was to offer a significantly sharper screen (I do not find text sharp enough as of today, while reading/writing on my MBA) with better colors, with better resolution - I'd be happy to upgrade. I'd also love if Apple could, once and for all, fix that squeaking chassis. If Apple was to fix those two issues, I think I would have found my perfect laptop.

If the above mentioned does not happen - I could definitely see myself using a 13" rMBP in the future - but I would love a bit more "umph" out of that model (Quad Core Processor or dedicated graphics) in order to sacrifice the great MBA. :)

MrXiro
May 7, 2013, 04:22 PM
I woke up this morning suddenly excited at the thought of the next MBA. My current 2012 one is nigh on perfect but there are some changes that would certainly make me swap it for a 2013 model.

So what configuration would you need to see to take the plunge? You define what's realistic :)

Me: Battery battery battery. It's the only bottleneck I hit on a regular basis. According to Intel, Haswell is going to make the biggest "generation to generation" gain on battery life.

The spec that would make me buy the 2013 11 inch version:

Intel Haswell CPU/GPU - whatever the fastest is, would speed up encodes that bit more
8GB RAM (I have no need for more)
512GB SSD (An upgrade from my current 256 would be welcomed, no need to juggle between external storage anymore)
7 Hour battery (upgraded from 5) - I ALWAYS zero the current battery and imagine I have the world record on cycle count for the 2012 model
IPS Screen if possible, if not a bump in screen res - can't imagine Retina without a big battery hit
Thinner bezel - would love to see this
802.11 ac wifi - faster, longer range
Magsafe 3 - I don't like Magsafe 2's vertical plane flimsiness at all
Bonus - Black Aluminium - would look very sleek imo

Seeing it written down, I can't see any huge improvement functionally over my current one. But if the battery were significantly increased, that alone would justify the upgrade to me.

I didn't read the thread so pardon me if it's been noted... but a thinner bezel around the screen would result in either a larger screen (12.6 inches to fill in more of the bezel) or a smaller foot print resulting in a smaller keyboard and all around computer.

As I wouldn't want the the keyboard any smaller the only other way around would be to go to a 12.6 inch screen... but then it wouldn't be the 11-inch MBA.

Either way... Apple wouldn't do it.