Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I woke up this morning suddenly excited at the thought of the next MBA. My current 2012 one is nigh on perfect but there are some changes that would certainly make me swap it for a 2013 model.

So what configuration would you need to see to take the plunge? You define what's realistic :)

Me: Battery battery battery. It's the only bottleneck I hit on a regular basis. According to Intel, Haswell is going to make the biggest "generation to generation" gain on battery life.

The spec that would make me buy the 2013 11 inch version:

• Intel Haswell CPU/GPU - whatever the fastest is, would speed up encodes that bit more
  • 8GB RAM (I have no need for more)
  • 512GB SSD (An upgrade from my current 256 would be welcomed, no need to juggle between external storage anymore)
  • 7 Hour battery (upgraded from 5) - I ALWAYS zero the current battery and imagine I have the world record on cycle count for the 2012 model
  • IPS Screen if possible, if not a bump in screen res - can't imagine Retina without a big battery hit
  • Thinner bezel - would love to see this
  • 802.11 ac wifi - faster, longer range
  • Magsafe 3 - I don't like Magsafe 2's vertical plane flimsiness at all
  • Bonus - Black Aluminium - would look very sleek imo

Seeing it written down, I can't see any huge improvement functionally over my current one. But if the battery were significantly increased, that alone would justify the upgrade to me.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Not to burst your bubble, but I expect any revision this year to be far more conservative.

haswell processor
faster wireless
option to upgrade to 768gb SSD (but be prepared to pay through the nose)

I don't expect Apple to mess around with the battery, since that would involve a redesign of the macbook's frame for what is likely a marginal benefit at best, and I expect Apple to stick with this design for as long as they can.

Possibly retain only the 4gb ram/128gb SSD 11" and 13" models, introduce a small price cut and make them the default models. Having a 64gb model makes little sense when you already have the 128gb ipad model.

I don't think the screen size or resolution will change.

jjfcpa

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
If you're willing to pay for it... and I am...

768 gig SSD
smaller bezel (definitely)
higher res (definitely)
16 gig RAM (I run VMware and can always use more!)
black option (how many MBA's have you seen with the black covers on them)
faster processor (but the current one isn't bad)

Love the current size and weight, but the need-for-speed is always there.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Not to burst your bubble, but I expect any revision this year to be far more conservative.

haswell processor
faster wireless
option to upgrade to 768gb SSD (but be prepared to pay through the nose)

I don't expect Apple to mess around with the battery, since that would involve a redesign of the macbook's frame for what is likely a marginal benefit at best, and I expect Apple to stick with this design for as long as they can.

Possibly retain only the 4gb ram/128gb SSD 11" and 13" models, introduce a small price cut and make them the default models. Having a 64gb model makes little sense when you already have the 128gb ipad model.

I don't think the screen size or resolution will change.

the haswell chip alone should improve battery life...this makes the 11" very attractive to me as that's definitely the bottleneck. i don't care about retina or card readers or hdmit or blueray or any of that on my ultraportables - what i want is a fast, reliable machine that can get me through the day.

just my opinion.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
How significant is haswell anyways?

Opinions on the web seem to vary from a marginal to fairly significant improvement in battery life. The main draw appears to be much better graphics performance, which seems more significant in the 13" retina macbook (since it lacks a discrete graphics card).

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Haswell is pretty much a given, so I expect the usual performance gains, graphics boost and better battery life.

I'd like to see 802.11ac on board, but what I really hope is that they bump the storage capacities and keep the price points. If not across the line, then at least consolidate the 11" and keep 2-13" models.

In any case, I'll hopefully pick up a 11"/8GB/128GB model.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I have a 2010 Air, and will be upgrading this year.

However, the deal breaker for me is the screen. If the Air does not get at least an IPS panel, then the Air will not be a consideration and I will jump to the Retina Pro. I don't expect a retna in the air because of battery life, but Apple needs a better panel in there. That's the only thing that really bothers me.

I also need a Core I Series processor for mobile video editing, the core2duo can't cut it.

Bt the screen is the main thing. Anything else they do is a bonus.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It's missing the point. Only the weirdest of fanboys would ditch a perfectly fine 2012 Mac for a 2013 Mac (or those who are very, very organised and constantly sell their last year Mac on eBay).

Buyers of Macs fall mainly into three categories: 1. Mac users with Macs that are getting either a bit old or really old, or that have broken down. There is not much difference between a 2012 Mac and a 2013 Mac, but a lot of difference between a 2009 and 2013 Mac. 2. Windows users that had enough. 3. First time computer buyers, mostly kids growing up. Sales to owners of 2012 Macs are minimal.

MarkHarrisonUK

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
It's missing the point. Only the weirdest of fanboys would ditch a perfectly fine 2012 Mac for a 2013 Mac (or those who are very, very organised and constantly sell their last year Mac on eBay).

Buyers of Macs fall mainly into three categories: 1. Mac users with Macs that are getting either a bit old or really old, or that have broken down. There is not much difference between a 2012 Mac and a 2013 Mac, but a lot of difference between a 2009 and 2013 Mac. 2. Windows users that had enough. 3. First time computer buyers, mostly kids growing up. Sales to owners of 2012 Macs are minimal.

4: Users with one Mac who want an additional one. Microsoft did great things in the last 10 years persuading people that they wanted more than one computer... Apple seem to be riding that wave. I know plenty of people in their 40s who started with a computer in the "home office", but now have one in the kitchen and the living room as well... And that's ignoring the people with a desktop Mac who suddenly want a laptop as well... Or an MBA who want a, if you'll pardon the expression Big Mac for stuff at home.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
MagSafe 3? You sure you're not working in Apple's accounting dept.? That sounds like a brilliant way to pick up some extra cash.

I'll probably be buying the 2013 model anyway — my 2012 is provided by my employer, and I'll have to return it when I leave this job later this year. But I would love to see black aluminum and a smaller bezel / IPS panel. I think the rest — more RAM, SSD capacity, processor, battery life — is pretty much a given.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
IPS
7 hours battery in 11" air
128gb baseline ssd (64gb really? Can't believe this has not been done sooner.)
Haswell
8gb baseline (16gb option)
Shrink bezel (probably wont happen)

blabliblu

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2013
Similar but it's not a forecast thread nor a single feature wish, which both those threads are. Simply what 'realistic' spec would make you personally fork out for one.

Your spec wishes are not exactly realistic. I made this thread for a reason : unfortunately I've gotten used to what you can or cannot expect for a next update.

Intel Haswell CPU/GPU - Yes there will be, up to what an ultrabook can power
8GB RAM - on the end model, maybe it'll start at 8GB
512GB SSD - Impossible, simply impossible. Having an entry model at 128GB given the fact it costs nothing is possible, having an option for a 256GB for the end model is possible but don't count on a 512GB SSD model
7 Hour battery - Possible, even likely but it'll depend on the screen
IPS Screen - Unlikely that Apple switches to "IPS" but possibly bumps up the res
Thinner bezel - There won't be a redesign, but it's most wanted feature that Apple is probably considering
802.11 ac wifi - Likely
Magsafe 3 - Not. They just changed Magsafe and unless they found a new better tech, there's no need for an update (for Apple)
Black Aluminium - There won't be a redesign again. But when there is, my mate, I thought exactly of the same color/texture. It'll probably be black brushed aluminium.

So except for a redesign and a big hard drive, you're hope might be relevant, but don't get your expectation too high like I used too, because Apple has gone from a mostly innovation company, to a completely profit based company, so the less they pay for R&D, implementation, and production of innovation, while keeping the same prices and sales, the happier they are...

auhagen

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Denmark
My dream is following:

11" air with a resolution something like 1400 x 900
i7 dual is enough for me. But quad would be welcome if it still runs cool.
16gb ram - just to have enough for cad and other software / parallels.
512gb ssd - 256 is just not enough
7 hours of battery life

Thats all I want for my mobile needs.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Am I missing something regarding the 512GB SSD, because it's already an option on both the 11 and 13".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.