PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone received their Quad G5 Yet?

MacTruck
Oct 24, 2005, 06:20 PM
Wanting to order one of these but I am waiting for someone to say its great and not hyped. I am sure its great but just want to be on the safe side.

So has anybody gotten theirs yet?

Bear
Oct 24, 2005, 06:25 PM
Are you kidding? Can't you read?

It will ship in mid November according to the announcement.

If you order today, you'll get a ship by date of November 22nd.

MacTruck
Oct 24, 2005, 07:10 PM
Are you kidding? Can't you read?

It will ship in mid November according to the announcement.

If you order today, you'll get a ship by date of November 22nd.

Yeah, kind of like virginia tech got dual 2.3 servers before they were even announced right? So basically this post is not for you but for people that might have gotten them early.

Zoowatch
Oct 24, 2005, 07:11 PM
i'm waiting for Quad's benchmarks in november too...

i believe Apple stores clearly state that it will only be shipped in 3 to 4 weeks time

Chad A Wright
Oct 24, 2005, 07:51 PM
I've got a ship date of "on or before November 17th"

I ordered it as soon as the store came back up after the announcement.

Chad

Josh396
Oct 24, 2005, 07:56 PM

Chad
Did you buy a baseline model or a BTO machine?

MacTruck
Oct 24, 2005, 10:21 PM
Screw it. I just ordered one. Added wifi and bluetooth to it but upped the shipping to overnight. After the last free shipping fiasco with apple $61 is worth not going through it again. Anyways says 3-4 weeks ofcourse but waiting for exact ship date.

Quad here I come. This means my dual 2ghz is for sale, and probably my powerbook if anybody wants.

Ok Est. Ship On or before 11/22/2005.

Modano
Oct 25, 2005, 12:59 PM

Chad

I ordered mine (CTO, not stock) as soon as the store came back up after the announcement too, but I've got a 11/17/2005 estimated ship date. The 18th is a Friday, so I hope it arrives on time to occupy my weekend! :)

Chad A Wright
Oct 25, 2005, 04:51 PM
I ordered it CTO as well. Added wireless and upped it to 1GB Ram. I think that was all. I figure whether it is stock or CTO, they aren't rolling off the assembly lines yet, so we'll probably get them at the same time either way.

I paid for the overnight shipping, so it better be here on Friday to amuse me. If not, I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off.

I ordered a 30" ACD at the same time, and of course it already arrived. So now I have about 3 weeks of this beautiful monitor just sitting here, doing nothing. I don't have a machine that will drive the thing at full res. It's kind of sad.

Chad

VanMac
Oct 25, 2005, 05:03 PM
I ordered it CTO as well. Added wireless and upped it to 1GB Ram. I think that was all. I figure whether it is stock or CTO, they aren't rolling off the assembly lines yet, so we'll probably get them at the same time either way.

I paid for the overnight shipping, so it better be here on Friday to amuse me. If not, I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off.

I ordered a 30" ACD at the same time, and of course it already arrived. So now I have about 3 weeks of this beautiful monitor just sitting here, doing nothing. I don't have a machine that will drive the thing at full res. It's kind of sad.

Chad
Nice. I'm waiting for it to hit the local Apple store, but thinking of the 30" as well. :D

ipacmm
Oct 25, 2005, 05:23 PM

Chad

I get that same ship date on my CTO Quad...

zugzuglani
Oct 25, 2005, 11:10 PM
I ordered 47 minutes after Apple Store came back online, and have an "on or before 11/17" ship date. I also ordered the 30" ACD, which should arrive tomorrow. I'll keep checking this thread for news of deliveries :)

pdpfilms
Oct 26, 2005, 12:23 AM
It appears as though NASA has received theirs.

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/70

GFLPraxis
Oct 26, 2005, 01:34 AM
http://applegeeks.com/comics/issue222.jpg

Had to post that somewhere :D

zugzuglani
Oct 27, 2005, 07:11 PM
Called Apple to feel them out. They couldn't give me any updates other than "On or before 11/17", as I expected. Anyone have any inside scoop on what their build process is, and readiness for delivery?

Bear
Oct 27, 2005, 07:56 PM
Called Apple to feel them out. They couldn't give me any updates other than "On or before 11/17", as I expected. Anyone have any inside scoop on what their build process is, and readiness for delivery?Well, in the case of the Quad, they first have to finalize the deisgn (possibly) and testing of the design.

Once your order goes to manufacturing, it won't be a long wait at all, yet it'll seem like forever. I ordered a CTO Quad when the store came back online (9:51AM PDT) and also got the ship by 11/17.

Chad A Wright
Oct 27, 2005, 08:30 PM
I noticed that everyone seems to be ordering the Quad CTO. I did, just to get the wireless package and a little more RAM. But, can anyone well me why a $3,200 machine doesn't include a wireless package standard, like say a $1,300 iMac?

That is irritating.

Bear
Oct 27, 2005, 09:08 PM
I noticed that everyone seems to be ordering the Quad CTO. I did, just to get the wireless package and a little more RAM.more disk, more ram, wireless stuff.

But, can anyone well me why a $3,200 machine doesn't include a wireless package standard, like say a $1,300 iMac?

That is irritating.Because a lot of places that order PowerMacs do not want wireless anything on them. Businesses for one.

Modano
Oct 27, 2005, 09:39 PM
Because a lot of places that order PowerMacs do not want wireless anything on them. Businesses for one.
Then that should be a downgrade for a discount, IMHO.

DavidCar
Oct 28, 2005, 12:04 AM
AppleInsider expects Quad in second half of November:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1346

Bear
Oct 28, 2005, 07:38 AM
Then that should be a downgrade for a discount, IMHO.So you want them to increase the price another $100 and then offer a discount if you don't want it? It'll work out to the same price in the end. There's also the fact that more people will need to order CTO machines.

Chad A Wright
Oct 28, 2005, 07:47 AM
Either way, I want wireless, and I don't want to feel like I'm paying extra for it. :)

Mine is for my business, unfortunately, my office that we are building right now will be a good distance from the broadband connection, so wireless is the way to go for me.

"AppleInsider expects Quad in second half of November:"

Doesn't the 17th count as the second half? I sure hope so. The 30" they shipped me is getting lonely with nothing to run it.

Chad

Modano
Oct 28, 2005, 09:20 AM
So you want them to increase the price another $100 and then offer a discount if you don't want it? It'll work out to the same price in the end. There's also the fact that more people will need to order CTO machines.
Er, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted them to raise the prices, just that I want to get as much for my money as possible. It seems there's a disparity when even, for example, the low-end iMac includes Bluetooth and Airport, yet I had to pay extra to add it to my Quad, which already costs more than double the iMac's base price! I hear what you're saying- that Apple will just raise the prise and pass these costs along to the consumer- but why include these things on the consumer models and leave the "pros" out in the cold?

RHutch
Oct 28, 2005, 09:37 AM
I ordered mine on 10/22 and got a ship date of "On or before 11/22". I already got my two 23" displays. I can hook one up to my PB, but the other one will just sit there for about 3 more weeks.

I am really hoping for the "before" rather than "on".

budugu
Oct 28, 2005, 10:36 AM
Er, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted them to raise the prices, just that I want to get as much for my money as possible. It seems there's a disparity when even, for example, the low-end iMac includes Bluetooth and Airport, yet I had to pay extra to add it to my Quad, which already costs more than double the iMac's base price! I hear what you're saying- that Apple will just raise the prise and pass these costs along to the consumer- but why include these things on the consumer models and leave the "pros" out in the cold?

Leave the 1300$ i mac, a 900$ ibook has wireless too. I suspect it takes less than 40$ to put Airport+Bluetooth in a computer. I guess this is another case of apple trying to extract as much profit as possible. The standard wifi and bluetooth options are thrown in when there are no processor or other improvements. So apple wants to keep them as things that they can use when they offer the next round. But i suspect instead of taking a 40$ less profit they actually make 60$ more by making you buy seperately. Powermacs are used mostly in places where 100 vs 1 giga bit ethernet makes a difference so... all this just does not matter ... if Steve thinks you do not need it ... you donot need it, now be a good boy and get along! :p :D

zugzuglani
Oct 31, 2005, 11:49 PM
Anyone hear if 10.4.3 is needed for the new quads? That was rumored a while back, but never confirmed.

Maybe the release will help ship the machines soon?

bousozoku
Oct 31, 2005, 11:58 PM
Yeah, kind of like virginia tech got dual 2.3 servers before they were even announced right? So basically this post is not for you but for people that might have gotten them early.

Maybe you'd get it faster if you ordered a couple thousand of them. It doesn't seem this thread is for anyone since no one is likely to order that many or get a machine early.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 1, 2005, 09:06 AM
I'm curious more about noise and heat from these things - with the processor using 100W when working on a full load, thats a lot of power, and with 2 its going to be making some heat.

I'm wondering if they're going to offer quad 2.3s in January or there abouts - you'd get a small decrease in CPU power, but it might make a bigger difference on the wattage. Pure speculation and I'll probably order one when they're available with the 7800 GT and not have to wait 8 weeks....

D

MacTruck
Nov 1, 2005, 09:10 AM
By January the quad 2.5 will drop to $2999 and the new quad 2.3 will be $2499 with the dual 2.0 being phased out and the dual 2.3 taking the $1999 spot.

MacTruck
Nov 1, 2005, 09:12 AM
Maybe you'd get it faster if you ordered a couple thousand of them. It doesn't seem this thread is for anyone since no one is likely to order that many or get a machine early.

Ok, then this message is for that rich friend of Jobs that got his quad already and might have the balls to post. :cool:

ipacmm
Nov 1, 2005, 09:31 AM
By January the quad 2.5 will drop to $2999 and the new quad 2.3 will be $2499 with the dual 2.0 being phased out and the dual 2.3 taking the $1999 spot.

I really don't see that happening because it is taking Apple so long to ship the computers, why would they drop the price if they can't even make them and ship them the same time that they were released.

zugzuglani
Nov 7, 2005, 01:49 AM
Has anyone had an early drop of the Quad? My ship date is still 11/17, but I'm hoping to see an early shipment.

JRM PowerPod
Nov 7, 2005, 03:51 AM
Mine says ship oon 29/12.

i'll be waiting a while

must be the 7800gt

Zoowatch
Nov 7, 2005, 05:50 PM
what happens if we were to receive our Quad 29/12 and a few days later in January Apple announces iLife '06 which comes with all new Macs?

pay again for our less-than-2-weeks-old computer?

Zoowatch
Nov 7, 2005, 05:52 PM
Mine says ship oon 29/12.

i'll be waiting a while

must be the 7800gt

the wait is really horrible
i wish you get that before Christmas
you must be really patient

i was thinking about 7800gt too but i'm not going to wait

Dr Floyd
Nov 7, 2005, 06:27 PM
>>>Zoowatch "i was thinking about 7800gt too but i'm not going to wait"

Mee too,

i wanna buy it leater,

-but every PCI Express is compatible? :confused:

-No ATI Cards down the line? (no Rumorz?):eek:

tKs

Mance
Nov 8, 2005, 07:06 AM
Has anyone had an early drop of the Quad? My ship date is still 11/17, but I'm hoping to see an early shipment.

Can't believe it - fastest shipment I've ever had from Apple. Came form Cork Ireland all the way to very wet Wales. Revved it up and now left it in standby whilst I get on with some work.... But it's calling me!

(Oh yeah - ordered 4 hours after announcement. Was due to ship by 16/11. Now if only Aperture would hurry up)

ipacmm
Nov 8, 2005, 07:36 AM
Can't believe it - fastest shipment I've ever had from Apple. Came form Cork Ireland all the way to very wet Wales. Revved it up and now left it in standby whilst I get on with some work.... But it's calling me!

(Oh yeah - ordered 4 hours after announcement. Was due to ship by 16/11. Now if only Aperture would hurry up)

Can you post some pics. I really hope that mine will come in soon; I ordered it around the same time as you did.

Bear
Nov 8, 2005, 07:54 AM
Can you post some pics. I really hope that mine will come in soon; I ordered it around the same time as you did.You're gonna believe a person on their first post. Quads have not yet started shipping although it's coming up on the three week mark from the announcement..

Mr. Anderson
Nov 8, 2005, 07:58 AM

Lets see some pics and I'd like to get feed back on what it sounds like after you've been working it hard for a while :D

D

ipacmm
Nov 8, 2005, 08:14 AM
You're gonna believe a person on their first post. Quads have not yet started shipping although it's coming up on the three week mark from the announcement..

I am not going to believe the person until I see some pics.

Mance
Nov 8, 2005, 07:06 PM
I am not going to believe the person until I see some pics.

I didn't know why you wanted a pic - one G5 case is just like any other - and there are plenty of pics on the web of the insides. If it's just that you don't believe me then here's a pic as proof... not sure why I'm bothered.

So - some info. Fan noise is Ok - 'bout same as my Dual 2Ghz. Came with 10.4.2 (haven't upgraded yet)

One thing - installed FCP 4.5 and it said it wouldn't work with configuration as it requires AGP card and a minimum of G3 <ha>.... The Apple pages suggest upgrading to FCP5, but I found a post that explained how to edit the plist file inside the package and it seems to run fine.

Not really able to compare speed - came so quick I hadn't even ordered extra RAM- once I've got the extra 4gigs from Crucial should be able to make some comparisons.

Do like the little nipple on the new mice though...

Chad A Wright
Nov 8, 2005, 07:52 PM
I ordered mine about 4 hours before you did and had a 11/17 ship date. Here's hoping they are getting them out early. Can't wait.

Bear
Nov 8, 2005, 08:32 PM
Anyone hear if 10.4.3 is needed for the new quads? That was rumored a while back, but never confirmed.

Maybe the release will help ship the machines soon?I don't know if 10.4.3 is needed for the Quads, however, from the differences on my current system between 10.4.2 and 10.4.3, I'd be updating it to 10.4.3 if it isn't shipped with 10.4.3.

The delay on the Quad was probably a combination of chip supply and final testing on the hardware.

RHutch
Nov 8, 2005, 09:30 PM
OK. So is everyone believing Mance now, or is someone going to start the speculation on how he Photoshopped the pic with the shipping list?

I ordered about 5 days later, but this makes me hopeful that I will get mine earlier than promised.

Mance, did your order status online show any change in estimated ship date before your machine came?

nylon
Nov 8, 2005, 09:41 PM
There was a thread a couple of days ago on the Apple forums in which a few people had reported that their Quads had shipped.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 8, 2005, 09:54 PM
I'm really hoping to see some specs on the speed soon. Glad you got yours, though, post more info when you can.

D

DavidCar
Nov 8, 2005, 10:53 PM
OK. So is everyone believing Mance now, or is someone going to start the speculation on how he Photoshopped the pic with the shipping list?I believe, and I'm looking forward to hearing more.

MacTruck
Nov 8, 2005, 11:09 PM
[Begging thee for benchmarks]

Do the photoshop test thread...

pionata
Nov 8, 2005, 11:41 PM
Wow, nice computer you have there Mance. Is that like 10 (4x2.5) ghz when its working at full speed (rendering) ?

MacTruck
Nov 8, 2005, 11:49 PM
Is it liquid cooled? Burning question.

nospleen
Nov 8, 2005, 11:51 PM
Lets see some pics and I'd like to get feed back on what it sounds like after you've been working it hard for a while :D

D

Shhh....I think I can hear it?!?!
:D

JRM PowerPod
Nov 8, 2005, 11:52 PM

WELL........ I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT....... COZ MINE WONT BE SHOWING UP UNTIL THE NEW YEAR.... SHIPPING DATE = 29/12

IT'LL BE A GOOD START TO THE NEW YEAR, I GUESS

nospleen
Nov 8, 2005, 11:53 PM
I didn't know why you wanted a pic - one G5 case is just like any other - and there are plenty of pics on the web of the insides. If it's just that you don't believe me then here's a pic as proof... not sure why I'm bothered.

So - some info. Fan noise is Ok - 'bout same as my Dual 2Ghz. Came with 10.4.2 (haven't upgraded yet)

One thing - installed FCP 4.5 and it said it wouldn't work with configuration as it requires AGP card and a minimum of G3 <ha>.... The Apple pages suggest upgrading to FCP5, but I found a post that explained how to edit the plist file inside the package and it seems to run fine.

Not really able to compare speed - came so quick I hadn't even ordered extra RAM- once I've got the extra 4gigs from Crucial should be able to make some comparisons.

Do like the little nipple on the new mice though...

Congrats!! I wonder if the plist file would have worked for my old FCE 2.0. I just bought 3.0 so I could use it on my new imac... Man, I could have bought a new ipod! Boohooo me...

DavidCar
Nov 9, 2005, 12:15 AM
Is it liquid cooled? Burning question.AppleInsider says they have liquid cooling.

pgre
Nov 9, 2005, 05:13 AM

Mine just arrived 5 mins ago.. I had no idea it would be this soon !
You must have been of of the first 4 to order in the UK.. as I was number 5 :)

Mance
Nov 9, 2005, 05:17 AM
Mance, did your order status online show any change in estimated ship date before your machine came?

Nope - went straight from original estimated date to "shipped". Was very surprised after past debacles with Apple over expected delivery dates

zugzuglani
Nov 9, 2005, 06:22 AM
Are you able to do the photoshop test from macforum?
What OS version was packaged?
What general impressions do you have?

Hopefully US CTO orders are heading to the US for configuration. Can't wait!

Fo shizzle ya'll. Pace.

Bear
Nov 9, 2005, 06:30 AM
The leadtime for new orders of the QUad PM is now 2-3 weeks (without the 7800GT) instead of 3-4 weeks.

If Apple hadn't started the production line, the leadtime probably would not have changed.

Mance
Nov 9, 2005, 06:37 AM
Are you able to do the photoshop test from macforum?.

First off - don't intend to do test until I have the 4 gig of RAM installed - otherwise everyone will say how lame the performance is compared with '...'

Secondly I've got CS2 with its copy protection installed on my Dual 2Ghz (What's the deal on moving it over - do I have to deregister first)

Thirdly - my wife has me busy working (if she knew I was on here she'd have a fit) so too busy. Plus I have to go away and teach for next few days....

What OS version was packaged?.

What general impressions do you have?.
It's quiet. (Especially now I'm still using the 2Ghz and it's over there in Standby)

Sorry chaps - if I get more time when I'm back I'll do the PS test - I'm sure you'll all get yours soon.

Platform
Nov 9, 2005, 07:08 AM
More info and pics please....inside, covers off etc.:p ;)

iGary
Nov 9, 2005, 07:35 AM
More info and pics please....inside, covers of etc.:p ;)

Yes, we need geek porn.

MacTruck
Nov 9, 2005, 08:59 AM
Man its like a geek porn cliffhanger. GET THE RAM IN THERE! :D

livingmac
Nov 9, 2005, 09:19 AM

Mance, what graphics card did you order with the Quad?

Any other options?

Thank you very much for sharing information with us who are checking our order every 15 minutes...

pgre
Nov 9, 2005, 10:45 AM
Mance, what graphics card did you order with the Quad?

Any other options?

Thank you very much for sharing information with us who are checking our order every 15 minutes...

I just got the Nvidia 6600 and will be adding 4GB or Ram shortly, Apples extras are still to expensive though so adding a 400GB 2nd Drive shortly also. I may well buy a 7800 card later.. since you can run multiple graphics cards.

Hopefully we may start to see an increase in Mac Graphics cards options.. and prices may come down.. (hopefully)

ipacmm
Nov 9, 2005, 11:29 AM
The leadtime for new orders of the QUad PM is now 2-3 weeks (without the 7800GT) instead of 3-4 weeks.

If Apple hadn't started the production line, the leadtime probably would not have changed.

That is a good sign, I hope I get mine soon, I have the ram and hard drive ready to go into a computer that I donít have yet...

sai_digitalle
Nov 9, 2005, 05:35 PM
When are the local Apple stores going to have the Quad's? And where is everyone buying there RAM from? I'm thinking of buying mine from Crucial, does anyone have any negative feedback about Crucial.com?

ipacmm
Nov 9, 2005, 06:25 PM
When are the local Apple stores going to have the Quad's? And where is everyone buying there RAM from? I'm thinking of buying mine from Crucial, does anyone have any negative feedback about Crucial.com?

Crucial ram is really good and is what I usually buy, but with the Quad, I ordered my memory from newegg.com and macsales.com. I got OEM Samsung 1GB sticks, the same ones Apple uses and charge 5x the price for. Crucial was more expensive when I was pricing it out.

Enigma
Nov 10, 2005, 06:06 AM
My order status still states ship on or before 23/11, but I live in hope. At least they shipped the 23" display a couple of days after I placed the order, so I've got it hooked up to my Powerbook for now.

Everyone else in my office hates me just now for having the display, but I suspect I'll be hung drawn and quartered when the Quad turns up!

Modano
Nov 10, 2005, 10:56 AM

I've ordered 2 gigs more for my Quad from ramjet.com I've ordered from them probably 2 dozen times in the past and their service is excellent. A real person on the phone in under a minute every time! They have better prices than crucial too, it seems. Not knocking on crucial, I've just never used them.

My Quad still says shipping by 11/17. HURRY UP, APPLE!

pdpfilms
Nov 10, 2005, 11:14 AM
Secondly I've got CS2 with its copy protection installed on my Dual 2Ghz (What's the deal on moving it over - do I have to deregister first)

Yeah, you've got to do that before you switch it over. Shoot how do you do that.... i just made the switch a few days ago... It's within photoshop, I know that much...

Chad A Wright
Nov 14, 2005, 09:48 PM
I got an e-mail from Apple tonight indicating my Quad shipped. I ordered the minute the store came back online on the 19th. Paid for overnight shipping. We'll see if I get it tomorrow or Wednesday.

tavarni
Nov 15, 2005, 01:08 AM
just picked mine up from the Apple store (with an additional 4 Gigs of ram)

what do you guys want to know?

MacTruck
Nov 15, 2005, 05:36 AM
just picked mine up from the Apple store (with an additional 4 Gigs of ram)

what do you guys want to know?

WOW! The applestore had it in stock? Please answer following questions:

1. Liquid cooled?
2. Noise levels, loud or quiter than previous G5s
3. Does Power Supply chirp?
4. Feel faster?
5. Any speed comparisons with other G5s?
6. PICS PICS PICS!

ipacmm
Nov 15, 2005, 06:11 AM
I got an e-mail from Apple tonight indicating my Quad shipped.

Same with me, but mine won't be here until Friday...

Chad A Wright
Nov 15, 2005, 02:32 PM
It arrived at 11:00 this morning. I'm still waiting for the extra 2GB of Ram to add to 1GB already in it. So far I've only had time to transfer my iTunes and iPhoto libraries and get the e-mail/internet up and going. I'll get CS2 and Final Cut Studio installed when I get home today.

1. I'm assuming it's liquid cooled.
2. It's actually running quieter than the Mac Mini sitting next to it.
3. No chirrping so far.
4. Feels a hell of a lot faster than my mini or my 1Ghz Powerbook.
5. It's my first G5. Be gentle.
6. Sorry, I was too busy playing to take photos. I'll try to tonight. It looks beautiful hooked up to the 30"

BJNY
Nov 15, 2005, 10:58 PM
Quad owners,
Does the Airport/Bluetooth wireless card seem user-installable?
Thanks,
Billy

tavarni
Nov 15, 2005, 11:31 PM
Quad owners,
Does the Airport/Bluetooth wireless card seem user-installable?
Thanks,
Billy

I was told those cards wont be available for a while...and that I'd have to bring my Quad back to the store to have it installed.

liquidcrimson
Nov 15, 2005, 11:48 PM
Mine shipped this evening via UPS Second Day Air from CDW. I should have it Thursday. It's the standard retail configuration; nothing CTO.

I find it funny that I was reading this thread earlier, and called my rep to ask the status. He said Apple shipped them 230+ units on Saturday, and that they should arrive later in the week, in which case mine would ship at that point. But, I came home and checked my order status, only to find it in fact had shipped, so I guess they got there earlier, or perhaps there was an earlier shipment that my rep's computer didn't show.

Because it's a corporate account (but a personal purchase), and because of our size, CDW, in the past, has had Apple drop-ship equipment to us, individually, and by the pallet, and bypass CDW's warehouse entirely. That may have happened here.

In any case, I was the first backorder CDW had for the Quad. My rep placed the order before CDW had the proper part number in their system, and then changed it once it was official. If any one else reading ordered from CDW, yours should be on the way soon.

Once it arrives, I have quite a bit to put inside it before it vanishes under my desk. If anyone wants pictures, or anything else, just let me know. I'll be happy to oblige.

For the sake of benchmarks, the machine is due to receive 16GB of RAM, 2 Hitachi 7K500 hard drives, and an additional NVIDIA 6600 card, which hasn't yet shipped (but is due to ship from CDW later this week). [The 6600s will be replaced, at some point, by two 7800GT cards once Apple makes them available as a standalone option. My rep at CDW confirmed the part number, and according to his Apple rep, Apple is waiting to clear the backlog on CTO orders before making it available as an upgrade kit.] The RAM and drives will be installed before any benchmarking.

One question - for those in the US reading who may have received theirs: I've heard lots of grumblings about the power supply and current draw. Is the plug a standard US plug? Or does it have the 'notch' for 20A outlets only?

Bear
Nov 16, 2005, 06:03 AM
I got an e-mail from Apple tonight indicating my Quad shipped. I ordered the minute the store came back online on the 19th.I also ordered right away and I should have my unit tomorrow. I checked the tracking number on the FedEx site.

It's a CTO and includes the blue tooth/airport extreme module as well as 500GB disks and 4GB ram.

ipacmm
Nov 16, 2005, 06:09 AM
I also ordered right away and I should have my unit tomorrow. I checked the tracking number on the FedEx site.

Same with me, but the FedEx site isn't updating on where my PM is at...well I hope it still will come in tomorrow.

Bear
Nov 16, 2005, 06:23 AM
One question - for those in the US reading who may have received theirs: I've heard lots of grumblings about the power supply and current draw. Is the plug a standard US plug? Or does it have the 'notch' for 20A outlets only?(This is for 100 - 125V AC) The one picture I saw was a standard 5-15P. The current draw is low enough to plug into a 15 AMP circuit. Also, the way Apple rated it in the specs "at least 10 AMPS" indicates they may have included the fact that you're not supposed to use more than 80% of a circuits rated capacity (in most of the US) and it may only use 8 AMPS max.

Chad A Wright
Nov 18, 2005, 08:47 AM
After three days of working with the Quad, I'm impressed. I've since added another 2GB of RAM to bring it to 3GB total. This thing is smokey. So far I've only done Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator work. As soon as I get a few of these projects cleared out I'll do some video work to really test it out.

Honestly, though, the biggest difference (besides the speed increase) is working on a 30" display. Designing on this thing is an absolute dream. Right now I'm using my Powerbook hooked to a 20" ACD and it seems tiny in comparison.

RHutch
Nov 19, 2005, 06:18 PM
I just got an e-mail that my Quad has shipped. I ordered on 10/22 and was given an estimated ship by date of 11/22. After seeing others who got their Quad before the shipping date, I was hopeful that mine would come early too. And it is. Unfortunately, the fedex tracking info may not be updated until Monday night. So I'm not sure when I'll actually get it. But by Tuesday or Wednesday I would hope.

zap2
Nov 19, 2005, 06:37 PM
2. It's actually running quieter than the Mac Mini sitting next to it.

4. Feels a hell of a lot faster than my mini or my 1Ghz Powerbook.

2- Thats crazy and good to know

4- I would hope so ,cuz if it was not well something would be wrong(or u have a very fast PB and Mac Mini:cool: )

Zoowatch
Nov 19, 2005, 06:58 PM
i've received my PM Quad since Wednesday 16/11
i added 4GB crucial RAM to the stock RAM

i must say that i am impressed with this machine...
well built, a lot quiter than previous models of PM...
no beeping sounds... no loud fan...
above all, great speed and power...
installed 10.4.3... still no fan problem so far.

i believe it is worth every dollar and cent.

maavens
Nov 20, 2005, 04:55 AM
Are US customers prioritized higher than European customers?
I ordered my Quad the day after the release announcement, and I just got a delay e-mail. The shipping date has now been changed to november 23.
Kind of frustrating :(

dberg
Nov 20, 2005, 09:34 AM
does anyone seem to have slightly louder fan noise issues with their quad g5 ?

I mean its by no means loud, but i kind of expected this thing to be near silent, and it seems like it does have some fan noise. maybe i am just being a little paranoid, but my friends dual 2.0 seems virtually silent, and i do hear the fans spinning from my computer seat.

ipacmm
Nov 20, 2005, 10:39 AM
does anyone seem to have slightly louder fan noise issues with their quad g5 ?

I mean its by no means loud, but i kind of expected this thing to be near silent, and it seems like it does have some fan noise. maybe i am just being a little paranoid, but my friends dual 2.0 seems virtually silent, and i do hear the fans spinning from my computer seat.

I really can't hear anything on my quad. It is really quite, maybe because it is in the same room as the Xrack.