Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azreal1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
OK
I want to buy a used Mac Mini.

I have read loads of forums but cannot find my answer.

I want use mainly use the mac mini as a itunes, photo and video server, on all the time so I can view play the media via my 2 apple TVs or my ipads.

Should I go for A mid 2011 with the Radeon HD 6630M inbuilt. Or is the graphics card not really used for Streaming.
Is it used if I am importing HDV video from a Camcorder? (which I will be as I add footage)

Or should I go for a Mid 2011 I7 server edition (2 cores rather than the 2 in the other mid 2011)

Or should I go for a Late 2012 I5.
I cannot afford a late 2012 i7 so that is ruled out.

Cheers For you help

I am happy for the answer to be, doesnt matter any mac mini will do the streaming fine.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
OK
I want to buy a used Mac Mini.

I have read loads of forums but cannot find my answer.

I want use mainly use the mac mini as a itunes, photo and video server, on all the time so I can view play the media via my 2 apple TVs or my ipads.

Should I go for A mid 2011 with the Radeon HD 6630M inbuilt. Or is the graphics card not really used for Streaming.
Is it used if I am importing HDV video from a Camcorder? (which I will be as I add footage)

Or should I go for a Mid 2011 I7 server edition (2 cores rather than the 2 in the other mid 2011)

Or should I go for a Late 2012 I5.
I cannot afford a late 2012 i7 so that is ruled out.

Cheers For you help

I am happy for the answer to be, doesnt matter any mac mini will do the streaming fine.

Honestly anything of 2009 or newer will be fine for what you want. 2009 simply because it is the oldest mini that can run Mt Lion. Streaming data to Appletvs and loading videos into iTunes takes very little processing power. The only advantage to faster processors is if you want to convert videos via handbrake. Otherwise go with whatever.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I think Apple makes the AppleTV for what you want.
As Media-Center, a 2009/2010 is the best as you can fit a BR player in too. And it seems the HD4000 has hiccups with 24p support, not the case with the 9400M/320M

azreal1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Honestly anything of 2009 or newer will be fine for what you want. 2009 simply because it is the oldest mini that can run Mt Lion. Streaming data to Appletvs and loading videos into iTunes takes very little processing power. The only advantage to faster processors is if you want to convert videos via handbrake. Otherwise go with whatever.

I have tones of mini DV tapes to import, so It will take time, If I am using Handbrake anyway to convert, saving a little bit of time using quad core, wont speed up my whole process anyway.

Cheers for the help, I think I will go with Mid 2011 i7 2.7GHz if I can find one.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If your streaming via an Apple TV compatible format then either. However if your using plex etc to transcode on the fly then the i7 would be better.

azreal1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
If your streaming via an Apple TV compatible format then either. However if your using plex etc to transcode on the fly then the i7 would be better.

going to convert to a standard format. Had enough of 3rd party + jailbreaking.

azreal1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
which one!

OK found two on ebay.
one is a A1347 Mid2011 Intel Core i7 2.7GHz AMD graphics but dual core.

Apple Mac Mini Desktop (Server) - MC936B/A (real quad core but Intel graphics 3000) Twin HDD

Which is the better choice.

I know I can upgrade RAM so that doesnt really come into it.

Cheers

azreal1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013

Isn't the GPU used when transcoding, or is it all processor?

So getting one with the HD 3000 card won't be a draw back?

Cheers

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Isn't the GPU used when transcoding, or is it all processor?

So getting one with the HD 3000 card won't be a draw back?

Cheers

Transcoding only using CPU. Airplay Mirroring uses the Intel GPU. In either case, the AMD 6630 will not come into play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.