PDA

View Full Version : Skype 2.8 video chat issues

kalel77
Apr 15, 2013, 01:40 PM
Hey everyone,
lately I'm experiencing a bothering issue with Skype on my PB G4 1.64 ghz with 10.5.8.
Basically since a couple of weeks ago, Skype let me do just the audio chats, not video calls anymore, I didn't change anything on my setup lately, isight, software version etc etc, everything is the still same.
It seems to happen just with the pc users. I remember that two weeks ago I got a message from the skype team warning me about some issue will come the days ahead.
Anyone having the same issue? It's this the new example of dropping old mac users? Any alternatives for video chat?
I already use iChat with mac users but what about the pc worlds?
Thank you for the support guys.
Cheers

rjcalifornia
Apr 15, 2013, 02:10 PM
Hey everyone,
lately I'm experiencing a bothering issue with Skype on my PB G4 1.64 ghz with 10.5.8.
Basically since a couple of weeks ago, Skype let me do just the audio chats, not video calls anymore, I didn't change anything on my setup lately, isight, software version etc etc, everything is the still same.
It seems to happen just with the pc users. I remember that two weeks ago I got a message from the skype team warning me about some issue will come the days ahead.
Anyone having the same issue? It's this the new example of dropping old mac users? Any alternatives for video chat?
I already use iChat with mac users but what about the pc worlds?
Thank you for the support guys.
Cheers

Actually the problem appears ONLY with those skype users that have 'migrated' from MSN messenger, which has a newer version of Skype. Regular skype users are able to send and view webcam.

kalel77
Apr 15, 2013, 05:36 PM
Actually the problem appears ONLY with those skype users that have 'migrated' from MSN messenger, which has a newer version of Skype. Regular skype users are able to send and view webcam.

So ti seems to be a momentary issue for the pc users mostly?

Cedric-F
Jul 27, 2014, 04:36 AM
This solved my issue!

On my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 I Had a problem with my video on skype, facetime, photoboot....
I have tried all the solution offered in every forum and never got to a satisfying result. I downgraded to mountain lion from mavericK without result. I reseted the Pram, and other things, I played with the plugin /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/, I tried several version of skype.... NONE of this solution worked....

Until that day a friend came to my place and installed AppleJack for Mac, a free software (http://download.cnet.com/AppleJack/3000-2094_4-40293.html) that totally solved this issue amongst others...

Here is the full page of the program http://applejack.sourceforge.net/man.html

And here quick instructions on how to use the program. Have fun!

Restart your computer. After you hear the startup chime, press and hold down the
Cmd and s keys together (this will put you in single user mode). You should soon get a Terminal-type screen with a dramatic garble of indecipherable messages and a shell prompt that looks something like [root#]
2. Now, type
applejack at the prompt. (If youíve installed applejack manually, or have not created an alias to applejack for the root user, you may have to enter the full path to the script at the prompt.) You will be guided through a series of steps that will repair your drive and delete possibly corrupted files. Options are selected by typing the number corresponding to the task you want to perform, and then hitting the return key. For example, when you see a few different options, like this:
[1] Option One [2] Do something else [3] Another task [4] A useful task

From time to time, in interactive mode, you will be asked to answer yes or no to a question. To answer yes, type y and hit the return key. To answer no, type n and hit the return key.

An advantage of using the interactive mode instead of auto mode is that you are given options for also cleaning out user-level caches and preference files. If you would like to clean out your main admin user caches, for example, you will need to use interactive mode.

3. Auto mode: If you want to leave
applejack to do itís own thing, just choose option [a] when the script starts. You can also start right up in auto mode by typing: applejack auto at the prompt. applejack will run through all the basic cleanup tasks in order. Alternatively, you can also type applejack auto restart which will tell applejack to do the cleanup tasks and then automatically restart your computer. Other options are: applejack auto shutdown which tells AppleJack to shut down the computer after running its tasks, or applejack AUTO shutdown which tells AppleJack to run automatically in "deep cleaning" mode (see above) and then shut down.

roadbloc
Jul 27, 2014, 07:47 AM
Microsoft is retiring older versions of Skype. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1747109) Which does regretfully include version 2.8 for PPC Macs.

EDIT: My apologies. This thread is OLD.

viavillecinque
Jul 28, 2014, 10:07 AM
good morning at all.:):apple::apple::apple:
I read the other thread, not all, I'm italian. I ask: what does exactly mean retire?
we can't from months see video, in the future we will able to only talk, as now, or nothing at all? I see different thoughts in the other thread.
however, I have a powermac g5, 2004, that I love very much. and old skype, too :(:apple::apple:

Altemose
Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 AM
good morning at all.:):apple::apple::apple:
I read the other thread, not all, I'm italian. I ask: what does exactly mean retire?
we can't from months see video, in the future we will able to only talk, as now, or nothing at all? I see different thoughts in the other thread.
however, I have a powermac g5, 2004, that I love very much. and old skype, too :(:apple::apple:

It means that Microsoft is discontinuing older versions of Skype. Soon, any version older than the newest won't be able to sign into Skype at all.

Intell
Jul 28, 2014, 10:17 AM
The word retire, in this thread, means to stop supporting, stop allowing, discontinue, or to become unusable.