PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Shuffle updates?

SeaFox
Oct 24, 2005, 08:24 PM
I need to replace my flash drive (because 256 MB is too small for me now) and was thinking of getting an iPod Shuffle (1GB) to replace it with. But I also heard there was going to be an update to the shuffles soon which would cause a price drop. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about when this was going to happen.

ipacmm
Oct 24, 2005, 08:38 PM
It would be nice to see some new shuffles. If you need one now, you can get a good deal on ebay for a 1gb one.

clayj
Oct 24, 2005, 08:58 PM
I can't see the shuffle getting a capacity upgrade... doing that would put it in direct competition with the nano.

Price drops, sure. But a 2 GB shuffle... I seriously doubt it.

Phat_Pat
Oct 24, 2005, 09:00 PM
I can't see the shuffle getting a capacity upgrade... doing that would put it in direct competition with the nano.

Price drops, sure. But a 2 GB shuffle... I seriously doubt it.
unless nanos went up to 6GB

i think it going to be a while... unless this lawsuit forces apple to do something to improve the nano and they end up slapping 6Gb in there then perhaps maybe at Macworld SF

SeaFox
Oct 25, 2005, 05:39 PM
I thought I remember hearing the high end would go up to 1.5GB. Even if it went up to 2GB the shuffle still does not have a display and clickwheel. This really puts it into a differnt product catergory I feel.

MmmPancakes
Oct 25, 2005, 09:31 PM
It's going to be awhile before you see updates to the Shuffle, IMO.

Your best bet would be to buy a refurb 1gb Shuffle from Apple for $99. Thats a great deal, and even cheaper than most units you'll see on e-Bay.

Chip NoVaMac
Oct 25, 2005, 10:23 PM
unless nanos went up to 6GB

i think it going to be a while... unless this lawsuit forces apple to do something to improve the nano and they end up slapping 6Gb in there then perhaps maybe at Macworld SF

Hopefully the lawsuit with be thrown out in the end as frivolous.

Other than that I see a slimmer Shuffle, due to a new battery. Maybe with a single line scrolling screen. IMO Apple would do well to try to keep a $99, $149, $199, $249, $299, and $399 spread.

xyouxfailmiex
Oct 25, 2005, 11:04 PM
i think shuffle is the best most reliable product apple has made yet...i see no need for an upgrade...maybe different colors

asherman13
Oct 25, 2005, 11:42 PM
i think shuffle is the best most reliable product apple has made yet...i see no need for an upgrade...maybe different colors

i dunno; i like the white...

anyways, i've noticed that a lot of people here have a shuffle in addition to their normal ipod...its a great idea; do you guys use 'em for just jogging, or as a flash drive as well? if the latter, do you need itunes to be on a computer for you to use it as a flash drive? what if you have songs on it?

Chundles
Oct 25, 2005, 11:49 PM
Mine's all scratched up and grubby from being carted across Canada and the States in the pockets of some dark blue jeans. Other than that I have no reason to upgrade - it's kinda cool.

My shuffle rocks.

Yeah, I use it in conjunction with my 3G 15GB. It goes where the big one can't or when I don't want to be carrying around the big one. A lot of the time I have it about a third full, mainly with the latest podcasts or new music (even newer now we've got the iTMS).

Whyren
Oct 25, 2005, 11:51 PM

anyways, i've noticed that a lot of people here have a shuffle in addition to their normal ipod...its a great idea; do you guys use 'em for just jogging, or as a flash drive as well? if the latter, do you need itunes to be on a computer for you to use it as a flash drive? what if you have songs on it?

I use the shuffle mainly as a flash drive (with some songs on it in case I need some quick tunes). No need for iTunes if you're just using it as a flash drive...if it has songs, it'll just show up within the iPod Control folder (on Windows), so other than an extra folder it doesn't affect anything. If you run a shuffle with songs on another computer that has iTunes, it'll ask if you want to link it to a new library, in which case you just respond "No."

Chip NoVaMac
Oct 25, 2005, 11:52 PM

Looks like black is the new white for Apple. :)

asherman13
Oct 26, 2005, 12:04 AM
Looks like black is the new white for Apple. :)

i wouldn't say no to a black shuffle...

I use the shuffle mainly as a flash drive (with some songs on it in case I need some quick tunes). No need for iTunes if you're just using it as a flash drive...if it has songs, it'll just show up within the iPod Control folder (on Windows), so other than an extra folder it doesn't affect anything. If you run a shuffle with songs on another computer that has iTunes, it'll ask if you want to link it to a new library, in which case you just respond "No."

nice. that works for me! flash drive + tunes = pretty cool complement to my reg. ipod.

SeaFox
Nov 17, 2005, 08:58 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1373

:)

I've already bought a new flash drive, though. Got a deal with a mail-in rebate for a 1GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro for about $55 with shipping.

zap2
Nov 17, 2005, 09:11 PM
IMO Apple would do well to try to keep a $99, $149, $199, $249, $299, and $399 spread.

Well not to keep but to remake cuz teh one gb Shuffle is 129

i Would like smaller, cheaper,lighter and now in Black( im sure apple could do something with that)

Show the 2g Shuffle , then a white backround saying, ''Smaller'', Then show the Shuffle(2g but the white one) again a, then a white backround saying '' Lighter"
,show the white 2g shuffle ,then a white backround saying "cheaper" and then a Black Backround with white words, "now in Black" then show a Black iPod SHuffle ,then the Apple logo

Chip NoVaMac
Nov 17, 2005, 10:19 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1373

:)

I've already bought a new flash drive, though. Got a deal with a mail-in rebate for a 1GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro for about $55 with shipping.

Yeah, but it doesn't play music from what I read.....