PDA

View Full Version : Will this enable Netflix on PowerPC?

skateny
Apr 15, 2013, 10:00 PM
Netflix plans to dump Silverlight for HTML5 streaming

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57579753-93/netflix-plans-to-dump-silverlight-for-html5-streaming/

rjcalifornia
Apr 15, 2013, 10:21 PM
It depends. The move to HTML5 sounds good of course, but we have to see it our powerpc computers can handle it.

PowerPCMacMan
Apr 15, 2013, 10:58 PM
I am sure it will.. so far html5 runs great on my G5 Quad and PB G4 DLSD.

It depends. The move to HTML5 sounds good of course, but we have to see it our powerpc computers can handle it.

old-wiz
Apr 16, 2013, 12:52 PM
Silverlight is a pile of stuff horses leave behind.

ihuman:D
Apr 16, 2013, 01:31 PM
Don't bet that it will run well... It looks like it will be using Javascript Heavily...

PowerPCMacMan
Apr 16, 2013, 02:17 PM
And how do you know if it will be heavily Java scripted? Can you provide a source? Otherwise its pure speculation at this point.

rjcalifornia
Apr 16, 2013, 02:25 PM
And how do you know if it will be heavily Java scripted? Can you provide a source? Otherwise its pure speculation at this point.

They went to silverlight instead of Flash :rolleyes: It is netflix, they'll find a way to screw us...

Apr 16, 2013, 02:30 PM

You haven't read the article yet?

goMac
Apr 16, 2013, 05:09 PM
It also requires a browser update with new HTML5 features. So the features they use would still have to show up in a PowerPC browser. It still requires a new version of HTML5.

MisterKeeks
Apr 16, 2013, 05:38 PM

It was provided in the OP.

Before that can happen, Netflix will need wider adoption of what it calls "HTML5 Premium Video Extensions," which includes DRM encryption, delivering streams via JavaScript, and a cryptography extension to encrypt and decrypt communication between JavaScript and the Netflix servers.

As long as Leopard Webkit, Tenfourfox, and Aurora can stay up-to-date, I think that we will probably be able to do 720p or even 1080p on some better computers.

TacticalDesire
Apr 16, 2013, 06:11 PM
As long as PPC browsers (tenfourfox namely) can support HTML5, PPC still has a chance.

Intell
Apr 16, 2013, 06:14 PM
Till this day comes, I'm sticking to my Plex-Netflix-PowerPC workaround.

MisterKeeks
Apr 16, 2013, 06:16 PM
Till this day comes, I'm sticking to my Plex-Netflix-PowerPC workaround.

Never got that working. For some reason, the client machine's plex would crash, and the server would play the sound of the video for a few minutes.

Intell
Apr 16, 2013, 06:17 PM
Never got that working. For some reason, the client machine's plex would crash, and the server would play the sound of the video for a few minutes.

It works best on a 1Gbit network and lots of free CPU cycles.

Wildy
Apr 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
As mentioned, I suspect it will only run on a very select few modern PPC borwsers (ie. TFF) due to the HTML5 extensions required for encrypted streaming between you and Netflix.

rjcalifornia
Apr 18, 2013, 02:55 PM
As mentioned, I suspect it will only run on a very select few modern PPC borwsers (ie. TFF) due to the HTML5 extensions required for encrypted streaming between you and Netflix.

and very few powerful G5

Apr 18, 2013, 02:59 PM
and very few powerful G5

I'd think on a 7448x2 it could be playable.

PowerPCMacMan
Apr 18, 2013, 03:59 PM
Spoke with Cameron Kaiser yesterday... he told me that he plans to put in HTML5 codecs to prepare for Netflix to be played on a PowerPC. He hasn't forgotten about us PPC users and once Netflix makes the switch that is when he will provide the codecs in the browser to support Netflix.

So, we are 1/2 way there. Now its up to AuroraFox and Leopard WebKit.. but I think those two will follow also..

Obviously, someone out there still thinks PowerPC can win.

I'd think on a 7448x2 it could be playable.

Wildy
Apr 19, 2013, 05:48 AM
AuroraFox will probably implement it quite quickly they just patch in the diffs. LeopardKit might take a bit longer a the Webkit project will have to implement it first. Although given Webkit's popularity, this shouldn't be long.

RedTomato
Jan 27, 2014, 08:06 AM
Spoke with Cameron Kaiser yesterday... he told me that he plans to put in HTML5 codecs to prepare for Netflix to be played on a PowerPC. He hasn't forgotten about us PPC users and once Netflix makes the switch that is when he will provide the codecs in the browser to support Netflix.

So, we are 1/2 way there. Now its up to AuroraFox and Leopard WebKit.. but I think those two will follow also..

Obviously, someone out there still thinks PowerPC can win.

AuroraFox will probably implement it quite quickly they just patch in the diffs. LeopardKit might take a bit longer a the Webkit project will have to implement it first. Although given Webkit's popularity, this shouldn't be long.

Resurrecting this thread (January 2014) because I was going to post a very similar question. Any updates on the situation?

I have a Powerbook G4 15'' 1.5ghz - already have TenFourFox installed on it but not sure about what else's needed to run NetFlix on it (if it's possible).

KeegM480
Jan 27, 2014, 08:46 AM
Silverlight is a pile of stuff horses leave behind.

Amen.

I agree, probably only the dual 2.0GHz and better PowerMac G5's

chrfr
Jan 27, 2014, 08:51 AM
Resurrecting this thread (January 2014) because I was going to post a very similar question. Any updates on the situation?

I have a Powerbook G4 15'' 1.5ghz - already have TenFourFox installed on it but not sure about what else's needed to run NetFlix on it (if it's possible).

HTML5 Netflix playback is only supported in IE 11 on Windows 8.x. It may work on Windows 7 with IE 11, but it doesn't work on any Mac because no Mac browser supports the additional DRM extensions to HTML5 that Netflix requires.
For now, Silverlight is the only option for Macs.

RedTomato
Apr 7, 2014, 08:42 AM
Damn. I've just been offered a beautiful little anglepoise lamp G4 iMac to add to my mac collection. It'd be perfect as a netflix screen in my kitchen for me & the kids. Wanted one of these for ages.

As it it, I would have to spend another 100ish buying some mini intel parts and a couple of days ripping out the G4 gubbins and installing intel stuff, and it's time & money I don't have :(

http://images.macworld.com/images/article/2012/07/imacg4_2002_03-287566.png