PDA

View Full Version : Transfering files

olsend81
Apr 15, 2013, 11:15 PM
I just ordered an extra 250GB hard drive for my G5 and wanted to use that as the storage drive and keep the existing 80GB for OS only. What is the best and easiest way to transfer all of my programs over to the new internal drive. Also I have read that there is some issues with SATA 3 drives on the
G5 which I am pretty sure my new one is. what is the best way to address these issues if they come up. On a previous thread it mentioned setting the drive to SATA 2 or 1 mode would this work? If so how would you do it

Thanks

PowerPCMacMan
Apr 15, 2013, 11:31 PM
Hi,

You have two choices.. The 1st is Carbon Copy Cloner which makes an exact bootable duplicate of your boot drive.. SuperDuper! does the same exact thing, but I think CCC is a lot easier to use. But if you aren't trying to make a bootable clone, you can use CCC to select your applications and other programs and use it to copy over.. Of course, you can just drag your Applications folder and drop it onto the new drive.

As for SATA III and issues.. check to see if there are jumpers on the back of the drive which will allow SATA II or SATA I compatibility. I believe most drives allow you to jumper them so that they can run at the slower speed.

I just ordered an extra 250GB hard drive for my G5 and wanted to use that as the storage drive and keep the existing 80GB for OS only. What is the best and easiest way to transfer all of my programs over to the new internal drive. Also I have read that there is some issues with SATA 3 drives on the
G5 which I am pretty sure my new one is. what is the best way to address these issues if they come up. On a previous thread it mentioned setting the drive to SATA 2 or 1 mode would this work? If so how would you do it

Thanks