PDA

View Full Version : The built-in speaker on the new iMac?

milky23
Oct 24, 2005, 09:30 PM
I noticed on the new iMac that the location to upgrade memory was smack dab in the middle of where the speakers are.

The manual, at http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iMacG5-iSight-Users_Guide.pdf
confirms this. In the diagrams, it looks like the user accessible memory slot is smack dab where the speaker used to be in the older iMac G5s. The speaker area is still there, just smaller and split up left and right. Does anyone know if this has adverse effects on the sound quality/volume?

Perhaps there is no change at all... perhaps the speakers havn't changed in location or size, just the stuff covering it? What do you think?

Many thanks!

milky23
Oct 25, 2005, 12:27 AM
Also, is there any word as to the quality of the speakers on the whole? I remember hearing them a long time ago and they sounded decent. Opinions, anyone?

Phat_Pat
Oct 25, 2005, 01:36 AM
I may be wrong

but in pervious models the grill went all the way across the bottom, yet i think that there were in fact only two speakers, not one long one. The open middle part was just another vent used to suck air into.

I'm going to assume that the speakers have in fact not changed but simple have had the excess grill removed.

Anyone now for fact? I'm curious now too....