Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bokkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
I am in the following situation:

A while back I bought a logicboard + some other internal parts of a broken MacBook Unibody 2008 (this is a EU model, as can be seen from the keyboard) I planned to use this for a homemade mac mini kind of project but never found the time.
This all works as can be seen here:
4SRmZjUW

However; i stubled upon someone else in my country (the Netherlands) who is in the possession of a broken MacBook Unibody 2008 A1248 too and both P8600 (2.4GHz model). The distance is too far to go and have a look at his MacBook so I asked him for some pictures.

All seems in order although this model has a backlit keyboard and I'm not sure if mine has so as well (not at home atm), are the keyboards changeable in terms of US/EU models? Same ribbon connecting to logicboard? He says that his MacBook didn't start at all anymore out of the sudden. It is a gamble, my question primarily is; is it worth the chance?

He sells his MacBook for 200,- (Euro that is) and I would sell my internal hardware for 175,-. I need a little advice in this, what would you guys do?

Note; I am quite handy with Mac hardware (several MacBook (Pro/Airs), iMacs, Pro's and Mini's have been on my operation table).

Thanks in advance!

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I believe they'd be interchangeable.. I am pretty sure people just don't want to give the wrong answer and so they don't answer at all, but I can't imagine a keyboard's port to be different just because of the difference in keys they perceive. It's all the same keyboard, same keys even, just different images on the keys and different software that corresponds to it.

As far as the backlit keyboard thing, I believe that is the same as well. I've repaired Macbooks before in the past, and as far as I can tell, the only difference been a backlit keyboard model and a non backlit keyboard model is a separate little ribbon cable + connector pin that is for the backlit portion, so in your case that would just be floating there and connect to nothing.

Problem is if this guy actually water damaged his laptop somehow and isn't telling you about it, because water damage pretty much can only happen through the keyboard.. (Unless he had his bottom unscrewed and had his laptop upside down and then poured water into it or something..)

I'm not going to say either way for certain, but if I had to make a guess, I would assume it would work just the same.

bokkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks for the reply, after some research it seems that the more expensive 2.4GHz model did come with backlit keyboard so it would work on my logicboard as well :), I took the gamble and the MacBook is on its way. Water damage wouldnt be a big problem as long as the battery and screen are unharmed, I will keep you guys posted about developments

bokkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
Done!

IMG_6341.JPG

IMG_6356.JPG

IMG_6345.JPG

IMG_6350.JPG

Special thanks to ifixit.com of course, they always provide in great guides which we all can benefit from in repairs like these :)

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL

bokkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks for the offer, but it does seem to be very difficult (as in not plausible for me). I can rip many macs apart and repair them but this wiring stuff is something I'm just not familiar with.

I live in Amsterdam in case you want to give it a try :p

Check your tweakers.net PM (I'm more often there than here)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.