PDA

View Full Version : Video camera cables work on ipod

lostless
Oct 24, 2005, 10:54 PM
Just so you all know, you dont have to use apples video cables on the new ipod. If you have a video camera that uses the mini plug for video out and is stereo (red and white plugs) it will work. There is 1 catch. so you buy apples cables, apple has swaped the red and yellow plugs to throw people off. So plug the red plug into the yellow port on the tv for your video and yellow into the red port on the tv for right channel.
So yes, generic radioshack cables will work.

pdpfilms
Oct 24, 2005, 11:04 PM
Just so you all know, you dont have to use apples video cables on the new ipod. If you have a video camera that uses the mini plug for video out and is stereo (red and white plugs) it will work. There is 1 catch. so you buy apples cables, apple has swaped the red and yellow plugs to throw people off. So plug the red plug into the yellow port on the tv for your video and yellow into the red port on the tv for right channel.
So yes, generic radioshack cables will work.
Just to clarify, the poster is referring to the video out cables that plug into the headphone port, not the USB/accessory port.

asherman13
Oct 24, 2005, 11:06 PM
so you buy apples cables, apple has swaped the red and yellow plugs to throw people off. So plug the red plug into the yellow port on the tv for your video and yellow into the red port on the tv for right channel.

mm i dont think so...i just did it with my new ipod and apple's cable, and i didn't have to switch anything around...

braziland
Oct 30, 2005, 01:25 AM
asherman13,
I think that what he's saying is that Apple switched the little receptors on the jack that plugs into the iPod, so therefore a regular cable will have the red and yellow colors inverted. Obviously they also switched the colors on the legitimate cable you have.

lostless, thank you very much for the info. I really didn't want to give out $20 bucks for a cable. :) (ya that's right, I'm cheap.)

kuruptr
Oct 30, 2005, 09:59 AM
thanks for that info! I'm glad i dont have to run out to buy that now..

carpe diem
Oct 30, 2005, 10:26 AM
I am not sure this will work

snowmoon
Oct 30, 2005, 10:28 AM
Others have reported the same results from RadioShack cables. "stock" headphone-> video cables for most othe video cameras and the like just have to swap one of the RCA's and they work.

carpe diem
Oct 30, 2005, 10:55 AM
So wait you dont need the dock connector thing right!!

snowmoon
Oct 30, 2005, 11:33 AM
nope.. you can get video out directly from the headphone jack!

kuruptr
Oct 30, 2005, 11:51 AM
To those who are doubting this, it works! I tried it with my cables that came with my video camera, funny how apple is trying to be sneaky about this too...

HardHatMac9
Oct 30, 2005, 12:42 PM
Great find, dude! Now I can only carry one cable and not two! Gonna try it out soon.

johnfud
Feb 6, 2006, 02:37 PM
First make sure your ipod was in tv on mode then I hit tv input button.
then I tried every configuration with RCA plugs. I get audio, but no video.
Help. My cable is from a Sony TRV 17 video camera. Mini jack to RCA.
Help.

balamw
Feb 6, 2006, 03:44 PM
First make sure your ipod was in tv on mode then I hit tv input button.
then I tried every configuration with RCA plugs. I get audio, but no video.
Help. My cable is from a Sony TRV 17 video camera. Mini jack to RCA.
Help.
Are you sure the cable is fully inserted in the iPod's headphone jack?

The cable I got to work was from a TRV-11, and is probably the same cable. I did seem to have to push it in a little bit harder than I expected though... The video was on the red RCA plug.

B

Mr.K
Feb 26, 2007, 06:12 AM
Hi!
I see the video but in grey colors, what can i do?

Mr.K

TheDance511
Feb 26, 2007, 06:22 AM
hahaha we are cheap here in our mac rumors community..thanks for the tip though..:rolleyes:

xfiftyfour
Feb 26, 2007, 07:22 AM
hahaha we are cheap here in our mac rumors community..thanks for the tip though..:rolleyes:

haha, no, just smart. Apple is overcharging for their cables, so we go elsewhere. ;)