Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mailbox.jpg
Just a day after rolling out an updated app with several new features and enhancements, the team behind popular Gmail management app Mailbox has announced that it has removed the reservation system that had previously left some interested users waiting up to several weeks to gain access to the service.
Good news! Mailbox is now available without having to wait in line. After 10 weeks of around-the-clock hard work, our engineering team has scaled the Mailbox service to deliver over 100 million messages per day (and growing). We believe we can now confidently handle new users as they sign up, so we've pulled down the reservation system.
Less than a month ago, Mailbox announced that it had filled over one million reservations, with over 450,000 people still on the reservation list at that time.

As announced last month, Mailbox has also been acquired by Dropbox, with the two teams keeping their apps separate but drawing on their complementary resources and expertise to improve both services.

Article Link: Mailbox Removes Reservation System After Server Boost

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i never got it to work actually. told me to change something in the Gmail settings which i couldnt find and i was like meh whatever

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Ditto.

I sat through the 100,000+ wait, finally got access to the app, but then it said I need to adjust IMAP settings to unhide several folders, including "All Mail" (I do NOT want that visible from IMAP clients).

Basically, the app is unusable.

I use Gmail with IMAP clients like Thunderbird and Apple Mail. Having all folders (such as "All Mail") visible to the client means it will be downloading a ton of extra data. Everything in Inbox is in All Mail. Everything in my dozen sub-folders is in All Mail. Everything is already in "All Mail" as well as at least one other folder. That works fine from the web client, but not with an IMAP client.

I'm not going to change how I work with Gmail in every other program just so this one app has access to stuff I don't want it to have access to.

No, thanks.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
After waiting weeks, I uninstalled the app after the first day. It just didnt live up to the hype of making me wanna leave what I currently use. I almost felt bad deleting the app, wondering if it's just me not 'getting it'.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
This App was probably the one that had the shortest time in my iPhone.
Ironically I had to wait weeks for it.... 665000 I had ahead on the Q.

lightmyway

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
By far my favorite app this year. Logical UI, great design. Has me working on Inbox Zero for the first time in years.

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
It's a fantastic App.. but man I wish I could use it with my other mail accounts on other servers. Gmail is fantastic and I use it a lot.. but a lot of my stuff is still dragging on my Hotmail account and -that- is probably what I'd like to get to 0 first.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Its a great app that has potential. However, the requirement to change my IMAP settings for gmail was what caused me to delete it.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Ditto.

I sat through the 100,000+ wait, finally got access to the app, but then it said I need to adjust IMAP settings to unhide several folders, including "All Mail" (I do NOT want that visible from IMAP clients).

Basically, the app is unusable.

I use Gmail with IMAP clients like Thunderbird and Apple Mail. Having all folders (such as "All Mail") visible to the client means it will be downloading a ton of extra data. Everything in Inbox is in All Mail. Everything in my dozen sub-folders is in All Mail. Everything is already in "All Mail" as well as at least one other folder. That works fine from the web client, but not with an IMAP client.

Incorrect. The emails in the folders are just aliases, there's no duplicate emails because it sits in more than one folder (Google calls them labels).

If you go to http://www.gmail.com and log in, on the left hand side, scroll down to 'manage labels' and you can choose what folders (labels) appear in IMAP. That's probably what Mailbox support meant when they said change IMAP settings, they meant on Google's server.

Last edited:

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
After waiting weeks, I uninstalled the app after the first day. It just didnt live up to the hype of making me wanna leave what I currently use. I almost felt bad deleting the app, wondering if it's just me not 'getting it'.

Same here, waited for about 5 days. Didn't fine it that useful after all. My own way of email management is better.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Incorrect. The emails in the folders are just aliases, there's no duplicate emails because it sits in more than one folder.

That's not true. In a typical desktop email client, Gmail labels are treated as IMAP folders. So a copy of the message is saved in All Mail and additional copies for each label you placed on the message (including "Inbox").

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I waited about two weeks, after using it for the first time I realised why I disliked viewing email on my phone again. haha, tiny screen is just not for me. Though it is the best iPhone email app

WissMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Lone Star state
I like many of my fellow friends on here tried it. I gave up after a week. In my opinion, the app wants me to change how I read and move/store mail instead of understanding my current way of working.

The Mailbox team assumes the way I organize and read mail is insufficient and their way is better.

I liked some of the features.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Why does a mail client (MUA!!!) need a third-party server in the first place? This sounds both lame and fishy.

glenbogle

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
Have been using it for a few weeks and it definitely isn't for everyone; I'd say it's for hardly anyone.

The only email account I'd like to use the Mailbox system with is my work one, but, my work being as it is, I don't want to carry my work emails around with me on my phone, it's unnecessary. Also, my work emails aren't through Gmail.

It could also work for people who still use email for lots of communication, but I imagine for most people, Facebook and What'sApp and iMessage have filled that need.

So basically all Mailbox is for me is a slightly better way to look at all the mailing lists to which I'm signed up, and flick away ones which I don't read. Which is about as fast as selecting multiple and clicking "mark checked as read".

I can't really see the MASS audience for this app. If you're self-employed and get a lot of emails and use Gmail to manage them, then maybe it's for you.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm not sure what you are linking to here. That appears to be discussing the Gmail web app. We were discussing accessing Gmail through a desktop IMAP client such as OS X Mail or Thunderbird.

Ah never mind that link then.

If you read my original post, I edited it on how to stop those folders/labels on IMAP which solves Xenomorph's problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.