PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Taiwan paying students to submit fake reviews?

VulchR
Apr 16, 2013, 11:58 AM
Apparently in Taiwan Samsung is being investigated for paying students to submit anonymous bad reviews of HTC products. See BBC link here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22166606). Obviously we'll have to see whether the allegations have any basis in fact, but the possibility of guerrilla marketing is one of the reasons I supported the creation of this subforum. Seems to me that once it was created the number of newbie's making extreme, unsupported, pro-Samsung comments declined.

jav6454
Apr 16, 2013, 11:59 AM
Which is why, the Alternatives forum needs to go. Flame war en masse and troll threads everywhere.

VulchR
Apr 16, 2013, 12:05 PM
Which is why, the Alternatives forum needs to go. Flame war en masse and troll threads everywhere.

Most of what is posted here seems to be by people who have been members of MR long enough to be genuine. I find much of the discussion here partisan, but useful.

I am still considering getting an Android tablet, so I find the posts here helpful, but my offspring keep dipping into my pockets for various 'educational' experiences. £200 for a field trip to view rocks? Seriously? :(

maflynn
Apr 16, 2013, 12:09 PM
I believe Microsoft was guilty of similar actions back in the day as well. Mostly against IBM and its OS/2 operating system.

I'd say Samsung seems to take any action it feels it needs to promote its brand over its competitor.

jav6454
Apr 16, 2013, 12:14 PM
Ahh the joys of school field trips. Back on topic, the forum itself and the threads may contain long standing members, but thats just a select few.

JoeG4
Apr 16, 2013, 12:15 PM
Many of the most vicious arguers (whether it be iPhone or android) are fairly new, though.

I think a line should be drawn when people start insulting each other

MacRumorUser
Apr 16, 2013, 12:38 PM
£200 for a field trip to view rocks? Seriously? :(

:eek: !!!! £200 I'd want to more than just view rocks, I'd expect a trailer full of them for the back garden water feature...... :)

I don't know whether the article is true, but there are enough trolls on forums and on sites who are willing to post false reviews of products simply because they are from a different company without Samsung needing to pay anyone.

But could be true, who knows.....

KentuckyHouse
Apr 16, 2013, 12:40 PM
So, we fought like heck to GET this sub forum, and now people want to take it away? Because there couldn't POSSIBLY be people that started with (and loved) the iPhone but chose to try other avenues and (GASP!) liked them?

Part of why I like this sub forum is because you can still interact with people that you've interacted with here before (when you were an iPhone user). This is a great forum, but the mentality (and lunacy) of some members who think Apple's $%#& doesn't stink and other platforms are the devils of the world can make it tedious at times.

People use what they like. Who is anyone else to tell them they're wrong?

Some people around here need to grow up and realize not everyone cares about their small-minded opinions.

jamojamo
Apr 16, 2013, 12:44 PM
I believe Microsoft was guilty of similar actions back in the day as well. Mostly against IBM and its OS/2 operating system.

I'd say Samsung seems to take any action it feels it needs to promote its brand over its competitor.

Oh my gosh I remember that when the guy from MS got exposed. It was the Canopus Forum on Compuserve (exposing my age). :)

I guess tricks of the trade haven' t changed much.

----------

So, we fought like heck to GET this sub forum, and now people want to take it away? Because there couldn't POSSIBLY be people that started with (and loved) the iPhone but chose to try other avenues and (GASP!) liked them?

Part of why I like this sub forum is because you can still interact with people that you've interacted with here before (when you were an iPhone user). This is a great forum, but the mentality (and lunacy) of some members who think Apple's $%#& doesn't stink and other platforms are the devils of the world can make it tedious at times.

Some people around here need to grow up and realize not everyone cares about their small-minded opinions.

Completely agree with your points. Would hate to see this sub forum go away.

Assault
Apr 16, 2013, 12:57 PM
looks like Samsung is doing something similar to what Apple did with Nokia. There goes Samsung copying Apple again. :cool:

As if HTC needs assistance from anyone to slam their products in reviews. Sounds more like whining from HTC.

MacRumorUser
Apr 16, 2013, 01:00 PM

Sadly its the same on most of the sub forums, what you'll find is that eventually the regulars will begin to self regulate a lot of the nonsense and will begin giving the trolls the old boot before it kicks off.

I just don't understand the mentality of people who pigeon hole themselves with brands / manufacturer and then 'hate' irrationally on anything different, yet call themselves technology lovers.

I love all tech, I don't care who it's by as long as it does what I want it to do, and I certainly realise and appreciate that just because product A is great, it doesn't make product B any less great, it just different and I prefer features of A over B.

Why people hate on things they either haven't used or experienced ? Why can't we just get some appreciation of things generally rather than focus on the negative all the time.

----------

As if HTC needs assistance from anyone to slam their products in reviews. Sounds more like whining from HTC.

this is the kind of irrational hating post that grates. Some folks just have to get a jibe in - no matter what. It's sad.....

Carouser
Apr 16, 2013, 01:05 PM
Sadly its the same on most of the sub forums, what you'll find is that eventually the regulars will begin to self regulate a lot of the nonsense and will begin giving the trolls the old boot before it kicks off.

How do the regulars 'self regulate' and give trolls the boot? They don't have mod powers.

What happens, in fact, is the trolls are so persistent (some are even paid to be here) that people who are more casual and agreeable give up. When it gets really bad, at least MR makes a ghetto to segregate these posters and their echo chamber.

MacRumorUser
Apr 16, 2013, 01:12 PM
How do the regulars 'self regulate' and give trolls the boot? They don't have mod powers.

What happens, in fact, is the trolls are so persistent (some are even paid to be here) that people who are more casual and agreeable give up. When it gets really bad, at least MR makes a ghetto to segregate these posters and their echo chamber.

What happens in the console section for example is that the regulars don't respond the the trolls as they expect. They simply shut down the discussion so that it can't got any further, regardless of the regular users allegiance so to speak, they put it aside and say - stop! We know this discussion is just going to be an argument and we are not going to go there. Also troll posts are reported quickly and dealt with.

Bu fostering this approach it also gives people (the regular readers) a chance to develop a more open mindedness to others opinions too.

It doesn't always work, but its better than free for all fights. You should have been in the console forums 4 years ago or more. They were far far worse than this section, but now there isn't too much hassle at all.

The alternatives section isn't at that level yet, but hopefully in time.

And no.. I do not believe that there are people paid to be here trolling.

b0fh
Apr 16, 2013, 03:06 PM
Samsung Taiwan had originally claimed that it was unaware of the FTC’s actions, but later wrote on its Facebook page that it regretted “any inconvenience and confusion from the Internet event,” adding that “Samsung Taiwan has halted all Internet marketing such as posting articles on websites.”

So... *oopsies, we're sorry we got caught*???! Still, only a fine of up to $835,000 - that's less than a million! Impressive that the largest Android vendor feels the need to lie. Wonder if they also did this to Apple.

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/samsung-taiwan-htc-smartphones-reviews-113328

Toltepeceno
Apr 16, 2013, 03:10 PM
They probably all do it to each other. Search for a product review (software, etc.) and don't be surprised if a number of the hits are paid sites.

cynics
Apr 16, 2013, 03:46 PM

This section was made because every other thread in the iPhone section was about Android. Started by an iPhone user more often then not.

Plus this is MACrumors who cares what phone a Mac owner uses. Might be an iPhone might not.

Thirdly, if someone doesn't like the content here they don't have to look at it. It's not like someone has to scroll through here to get to the iPhone section.

SeanR1
Apr 16, 2013, 04:28 PM

Sweet, where can I go to get paid to be here?

iPhoneXL
Apr 16, 2013, 04:36 PM
LOL I won't be surprised if Samsung is actually proven guilty of this. Samsung will do anything to crush HTC.

Hastings101
Apr 16, 2013, 04:38 PM
I believe Apple is guilty of this too. I don't have proof but what company wouldn't do something like this? It's a pretty good idea to boost sales :p

Peterg2
Apr 16, 2013, 08:11 PM
LOL I won't be surprised if Samsung is actually proven guilty of this. Samsung will do anything to crush HTC.

This is very much small potatoes. Here is something posted previously. It may be a common practice in Asian business (vide Lockheed scandal. Yes, an American company bribing senior government, business, mobbed-up individuals but bribery often arises out of extortion) but it tellls you something:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/30/3709688/samsung-25-years-lee-kun-hee

How much did this cost them? I doubt very little. When you have a slush fund like this:

Lee Kun-hee resigned from Samsung in 2008 after being indicted and found guilty of embezzlement and tax evasion in Samsung's infamous slush funds scandal. Kim Yong-chul alleged that the company had a 200 billion won (roughly $200 million) budget for bribing prosecutors and politicians into turning a blind eye to its legal misconduct

Vegastouch
Apr 16, 2013, 08:49 PM

I dont agree. There are few here and there but for the most part, this alternative section is pretty informative.

fredaroony
Apr 16, 2013, 08:57 PM
I dont agree. There are few here and there but for the most part, this alternative section is pretty informative.

I have to say I agree 100% and this forum is a breath of fresh air. There are a couple trolls but on the most part it's fanatic free unlike some other sites.

Stuntman06
Apr 16, 2013, 11:21 PM

This is one of the better forums. I would attribute it partly to the lack of down voting on posts. I've seen other forums or comment threads where some people seem to purposely post in order to generate as many down votes as possible.

Vegastouch
Apr 16, 2013, 11:41 PM
This is one of the better forums. I would attribute it partly to the lack of down voting on posts. I've seen other forums or comment threads where some people seem to purposely post in order to generate as many down votes as possible.

Yeah but you don't need a down vote button to see who is purposely trying to be a jackel. Actually the down button would be better to have. You can just vote a down for them instead of someone maybe going off and getti g into a more heated conversation. Id rather they bring it back.

JHUFrank
Apr 17, 2013, 05:04 AM
Yeah, this is a pretty old trick. Not surprised at all. Samsung is just doing what everyone else does.

ChazUK
Apr 17, 2013, 05:59 AM
I feel it's a scumbag move by Samsung.

The £547,000 fine ($834,761) seems paltry compared to the damage that HTC may sustain due to loss of earnings, they aren't exactly in the most healthy position, are they?

Not cool Samsung.

VulchR
Apr 17, 2013, 07:05 AM
Just to be clear - in posting this thread I was not proposing that this sub-forum be shut down. However, I do think creating the sub-forum was a wise move, because it has reduced the number of newbie trolls whom I suspected of being paid marketers. Apologies if there was any confusion in this regard. I know some purists think that no post about Android or other mobile OS's should be on MR, but I do no see any harm in people posting here at all. I'm of to the thread about the screens of Android tablets...

kdarling
Apr 17, 2013, 07:46 AM
Reportedly (http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/samsung-taiwan-htc-smartphones-reviews-113328)it was Samsung's local advertising agency that did the actual hiring.

So the question is, did the local Samsung ad manager order it, or was it the idea of the ad agency.

ucfgrad93
Apr 17, 2013, 08:36 AM
I don't know whether the article is true, but there are enough trolls on forums and on sites who are willing to post false reviews of products simply because they are from a different company without Samsung needing to pay anyone.

But could be true, who knows.....

Sadly, I have to agree with you. For some, if you don't agree with their choice of widget it is as if you came to their house and kicked their dog, insulted their mother, and cast aspersions on their lineage.

Stuntman06
Apr 17, 2013, 02:45 PM
Yeah but you don't need a down vote button to see who is purposely trying to be a jackel. Actually the down button would be better to have. You can just vote a down for them instead of someone maybe going off and getti g into a more heated conversation. Id rather they bring it back.

I just try to ignore these people entirely and do not respond to them. Down voting to me is responding to them. Also, large number of down votes draw attention to these people and makes me want to know what they are saying. Another site I visit hides posts with large numbers of down votes, but I find I'm at least curious at what they actually say.

adder7712
Apr 17, 2013, 03:43 PM

I have to disagree. There are rarely any flame wars or troll threads in this forum.

CEmajr
Apr 20, 2013, 06:13 AM
Pretty shady by Samsung but I can see why they would be threatened by the HTC One.

adnbek
Apr 20, 2013, 06:51 AM
I'm sure they'll continue the practice under the radar. Just one quick look at comments for youtube vids of the HTC One will tell you this.

maxosx
Apr 20, 2013, 07:00 AM

Your memory is excellent, to those who've forgotten or are too young to know the history, MS did indeed engage in similar tactics. After all this is big, high stakes business. Something that all too often is lost on the less informed.

What Samsung is accused of is nothing new & happens across the spectrum within many industries.

alfistas
Apr 20, 2013, 07:00 AM
I have to disagree. There are rarely any flame wars or troll threads in this forum.

LOL!!!! :p

entatlrg
Apr 20, 2013, 07:05 AM

This is why the alternatives forum needs to stay! ... It keeps all the flame wars and trolls corralled up in one place instead of posting garbage in every other section.

maxosx
Apr 20, 2013, 07:06 AM
Pretty shady by Samsung but I can see why they would be threatened by the HTC One.

Absolutely. With billions of dollars at stake it's everyone for themselves.

Apples no saint either. They benefit from being highly skilled in hiding their nefarious actions & have a veritable Army of customers who will assist in covering up Apples use of underhanded tactics.

alfistas
Apr 20, 2013, 07:06 AM

Why would Macrumors need an Android subforum in the first place? How many really knowledgeable Android users come to Macrumors anyway? In my opinion if anyone was really interested in an alternative platform, they would just visit the appropriate dedicated forum. That's what the internet is for... :confused:

OllyW
Apr 20, 2013, 07:15 AM

There are other forums on MR that attract a lot more trouble ;)

As always, please report posts and threads you think are breaking the rules and we will look into it.

Rank Delta Forum Reports Percentage
---- ----- --------------------------------------- -------- ----------
1 n/c iPhone 5941 17.7%
2 n/c MacRumors.com News Discussion 4518 13.5%
3 +5 iPad 2251 6.7%
4 +1 MacBook Pro 2081 6.2%
5 -2 Community Discussion 1791 5.3%
6 n/c Mac Applications and Mac App Store 990 3.0%
7 new iOS 6 814 2.4%
8 +13 Politics, Religion, Social Issues 779 2.3%
9 +8 iMac 756 2.3%
10 n/c Mac Basics and Help 712 2.1%
11 -2 iPhone Accessories 612 1.8%
12 -5 MacBook Air 527 1.6%
13 +14 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 508 1.5%
14 -1 Marketplace 499 1.5%
15 -3 iOS 5 488 1.5%
16 -2 Buying Tips and Advice 474 1.4%
17 new Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 460 1.4%
18 new OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 444 1.3%
19 -8 iPhone Hacks 422 1.3%
20 +12 Mac Pro 403 1.2%

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1552595

Shrink
Apr 20, 2013, 07:19 AM

As always, please report posts and threads you think are breaking the rules and we will look into it.

1 n/c iPhone 5941 17.7%
3 +5 iPad 2251 6.7%
4 +1 MacBook Pro 2081 6.2%
5 -2 Community Discussion 1791 5.3%
6 n/c Mac Applications and Mac App Store 990 3.0%
7 new iOS 6 814 2.4%
8 +13 Politics, Religion, Social Issues 779 2.3%
9 +8 iMac 756 2.3%
10 n/c Mac Basics and Help 712 2.1%
11 -2 iPhone Accessories 612 1.8%
12 -5 MacBook Air 527 1.6%
14 -1 Marketplace 499 1.5%
15 -3 iOS 5 488 1.5%
16 -2 Buying Tips and Advice 474 1.4%
18 new OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 444 1.3%
19 -8 iPhone Hacks 422 1.3%
20 +12 Mac Pro 403 1.2%

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1552595

The big surprise for me on your list is PRSI is No. 8. I would have thought it would have been a bit higher on the list.

maxosx
Apr 20, 2013, 07:25 AM
The mere suggestion that this section be shut down is sheer censorship & fear of the competition. This is a good place for discussion. A word that many seem to think means fighting like children. Sticking ones head in the sand is quite harmful.

0dev
Apr 20, 2013, 07:36 AM
The story surprises me. HTC is such a blip in Samsung's rearview mirror these days I don't know why they'd bother to start a smear campaign against them. Surely if they were going to do this to any competitor it'd be Apple? Not only do they have more of a beef with them due to the patent suits, but they're actual sizeable competition.

alfistas
Apr 20, 2013, 08:06 AM
The mere suggestion that this section be shut down is sheer censorship & fear of the competition. This is a good place for discussion. A word that many seem to think means fighting like children. Sticking ones head in the sand is quite harmful.

I'd really like to see more iphone/iOS subforums on dedicated Android sites. Are there any?

----------

The story surprises me. HTC is such a blip in Samsung's rearview mirror these days I don't know why they'd bother to start a smear campaign against them. Surely if they were going to do this to any competitor it'd be Apple? Not only do they have more of a beef with them due to the patent suits, but they're actual sizeable competition.

Wasn't always the case. No reason why it shouldn't change again in the future.

SeanR1
Apr 20, 2013, 10:55 AM
I'd really like to see more iphone/iOS subforums on dedicated Android sites. Are there any?

----------

http://forums.androidcentral.com/iphone-ios/

Here ya go.

knucklehead
Apr 20, 2013, 11:38 AM
http://forums.androidcentral.com/iphone-ios/

Here ya go.

Not even halfway down the first page, and you run into threads that haven't even been active this year.

Doesn't seem to be much of a marketing push there.

paulsalter
Apr 20, 2013, 11:45 AM
Not even halfway down the first page, and you run into threads that haven't even been active this year.

doesn't surprise me there is not much happening

I am imagine there are more Apple users with Android than there are Android users with iOS

DesertEagle
Apr 20, 2013, 12:00 PM
The big surprise for me on your list is PRSI is No. 8. I would have thought it would have been a bit higher on the list.

This indicates that the 100-post-minimum is working. I believe that's what it's for in the first place.

SeanR1
Apr 20, 2013, 01:31 PM

Why would a site have a "marketing push" for a sub-forum? It's available. People either use it or not.

VulchR
Apr 20, 2013, 01:46 PM

Something to shoot for... :p

Shrink
Apr 20, 2013, 01:51 PM
Something to shoot for... :p

A noble and worthy goal.

From my reading of PRSI...it should accomplish the goal in about...oh...5 minutes

knucklehead
Apr 20, 2013, 02:12 PM
Why would a site have a "marketing push" for a sub-forum? It's available. People either use it or not.

Thread subject matter -- semi joke about ...

SeanR1
Apr 20, 2013, 03:00 PM
Thread subject matter -- semi joke about ...

Gotcha, it totally went over my head :)

bembol
Apr 20, 2013, 05:09 PM

How about just banning Review threads including "I returned" or "I tried but switched back."

Make it all about the device and helping out each other.

0dev
Apr 20, 2013, 05:24 PM
How about just banning Review threads including "I returned" or "I tried but switched back."

Make it all about the device and helping out each other.

I agree with this, there are far too many of those threads and they achieve nothing in the way of proper discussion.

fredaroony
Apr 20, 2013, 06:01 PM
I agree with this, there are far too many of those threads and they achieve nothing in the way of proper discussion.

Especially when the poster only tried it for one day.

iGreed
Apr 20, 2013, 06:03 PM
Could it be that those Samsung trollers on Youtube videos' comments be Samsung's paid students as well?

fredaroony
Apr 20, 2013, 06:04 PM
Why would Macrumors need an Android subforum in the first place? How many really knowledgeable Android users come to Macrumors anyway? In my opinion if anyone was really interested in an alternative platform, they would just visit the appropriate dedicated forum. That's what the internet is for... :confused:

I disagree, I'm very knowledgable regarding Android but also own several MAC's plus and iPad so it's relevant to me.

I've also owned a 3GS, 4 and currently have a 4S from work but never use it.

SlCKB0Y
Apr 20, 2013, 06:42 PM

Most of the misinformation and FUD in this subforum is from iOS users.

----------

I disagree, I'm very knowledgable regarding Android but also own several MAC's plus and iPad so it's relevant to me.

I'm in the same position.

----------

Most of the problems in this subforum are troll iPhone users posting things like this... "I tried the <INSERT ANDROID PHONE HERE> for about 5 minutes in the a store and it was really bad".

quasinormal
Apr 20, 2013, 09:15 PM

[CODE]
1 n/c iPhone 5941 17.7%
3 +5 iPad 2251 6.7%

If I was a Samsung astroturfer, I'd be concentrating on the iPhone forum. Why waste time on the converted in the Alternatives forum?

If there is truth to Samsung's nefarious marketing practices ( and Samsung has virtually admitted it), it is an absolute certainty that this site is fertile ground for it and is partly responsible for the irrational drop in Apple's share price.

I like others would like this site to be an Apple user's site again and not a place where one is ambushed via guerrilla marketing by Samsung.

adder7712
Apr 20, 2013, 09:18 PM

I've also owned a 3GS, 4 and currently have a 4S from work but never use it.

Same here, I have an iPad (that I use regularly) and a rare MacBook Aluminium.

alfistas
Apr 21, 2013, 02:46 AM
Most of the misinformation and FUD in this subforum is from iOS users.

Most of the problems in this subforum are troll iPhone users posting things like this... "I tried the <INSERT ANDROID PHONE HERE> for about 5 minutes in the a store and it was really bad".

Lets ban iOS users then... :confused:

MacRumorUser
Apr 21, 2013, 02:56 AM
Actually why not simply restrict the sub forums so they aren't available to newbies.

Its very strange any newbie would sign up to a mac forum to post about android. This should not be the first port of call logically for anyone interested in android, this is a sub fora for mac users who normally have regular post contributions in the main site (hence more interest in mac in general).

Restrict the sub fora until a poster hits 50 post and you will end this, guaranteed.

DesertEagle
Apr 21, 2013, 03:28 AM
Actually why not simply restrict the sub forums so they aren't available to newbies.

Its very strange any newbie would sign up to a mac forum to post about android. This should not be the first port of call logically for anyone interested in android, this is a sub fora for mac users who normally have regular post contributions in the main site (hence more interest in mac in general).

Restrict the sub fora until a poster hits 50 post and you will end this, guaranteed.

So which fora do you suggest they get access to and not? There's also a risk they will spam down the non-restricted fora with useless one-liners so as to get their post count to reach 50.

AFDoc
Apr 21, 2013, 03:58 AM

Entire point of having it in a sub forum so it's not clogging up the main forum. They will come no matter what and we all know they will start in the iPhone forum. Now mods have a place to send it instead of locking it down.

MacRumorUser
Apr 21, 2013, 04:09 AM
So which fora do you suggest they get access to and not? There's also a risk they will spam down the non-restricted fora with useless one-liners so as to get their post count to reach 50.

If you restrict it to main news (front page - blog) and the main hardware threads. Also it will be easier to find these folks spamming main threads - and I imagine easier to moderate and filter out. I doubt anyone is going to go into the MacBook Pro, or iPhone forum to spam about the HTC one or S4 for example.

And 50 posts it quite a significant amount, enough to put folks off - most who do these spam posts are newbies with 1-2 posts tops. They wouldn't have the gumption to post 50 posts before getting to their spamming.

SeanR1
Apr 21, 2013, 05:53 AM

This is a good idea.

alfistas
Apr 21, 2013, 07:20 AM
If you restrict it to main news (front page - blog) and the main hardware threads. Also it will be easier to find these folks spamming main threads - and I imagine easier to moderate and filter out. I doubt anyone is going to go into the MacBook Pro, or iPhone forum to spam about the HTC one or S4 for example.

And 50 posts it quite a significant amount, enough to put folks off - most who do these spam posts are newbies with 1-2 posts tops. They wouldn't have the gumption to post 50 posts before getting to their spamming.

I've seen Pro Apple Haters reach the 1000 post mark in less than 2 months. If it is deliberate as the OP suggests then these people will not be dealt with so easily.

MacRumorUser
Apr 21, 2013, 07:50 AM
I've seen Pro Apple Haters reach the 1000 post mark in less than 2 months..

Please prove this claim on this site. Link url us the profiles of professional apple haters that you claim exist.

alfistas
Apr 21, 2013, 08:13 AM
Please prove this claim on this site. Link url us the profiles of professional apple haters that you claim exist.

I'll PM you the links if that's ok?

MacRumorUser
Apr 21, 2013, 08:25 AM
I'll PM you the links if that's ok?

Ok.

SeanR1
Apr 21, 2013, 10:27 AM
I've seen Pro Apple Haters reach the 1000 post mark in less than 2 months. If it is deliberate as the OP suggests then these people will not be dealt with so easily.

How can you tell if they are a "pro apple hater" and not just someone who doesn't like apple?

Shrink
Apr 21, 2013, 10:30 AM
How can you tell if they are a "pro apple hater" and not just someone who doesn't like apple?

Such a silly question.

Everybody knows that no one could possibly not like Apple products, or perhaps find another product meets their needs better.

That's just not even within the realm of imagination.

Such an idea...:rolleyes:

Kashsystems
Apr 21, 2013, 10:35 AM

There are a couple people on here that I simply skip over because I know what to expect.

It is how they attack.

There are some people here who take the time to make very valid arguments without any FUD.

alfistas
Apr 21, 2013, 10:37 AM

I meant it within the context of someone being paid to discredit a company and its products as per the thread title.

Apparently though the term "pro apple hater" means something else entirely, at least according to this article:
here (http://www.cultofmac.com/172428/why-does-apple-inspire-so-much-hate/)

SeanR1
Apr 21, 2013, 10:52 AM
I meant it within the context of someone being paid to discredit a company and its products as per the thread title.

Apparently though the term "pro apple hater" means something else entirely, at least according to this article:

I understand, but if you are PMing specific names, how can you tell they are being paid and not just expressing their opinions?

MacRumorUser
Apr 21, 2013, 10:59 AM

I'm still waiting for the proof of that here (ala profiles) ..... ;)

SlCKB0Y
Apr 23, 2013, 07:06 AM
Lets ban iOS users then... :confused:

That's not my assertion at all. I'm just stating that I don't believe the Android users to be the primary cause of any trolling in this subforum.

This was in response to someone saying there was too much infighting in here so let's get rid of this section. They implied that Android users were the cause.

alfistas
Apr 23, 2013, 09:49 AM
that's not my assertion at all. I'm just stating that i don't believe the android users to be the primary cause of any trolling in this subforum.

lol!!!

SlCKB0Y
Apr 23, 2013, 08:46 PM
lol!!!

I take from your demonstration of superior communication skills that you disagree?

What are you suggesting these supposed Android trolls are doing? Using the "Alternatives" subforum to troll other Android users?

Why aren't these hordes of Android trolls posting large numbers of threads in the "iPhone" subforum where they might actually get their moneys worth?

This subforum is so choked full of FUD and anti-Google misinformation it's becoming barely usable. If these kinds of threads and posts where anywhere else on macrumors they would be removed very quickly. Here, we have to deal with it. Every second thread in here is some iPhone user saying "I used Android on some crappy in-store demo model for about ten minutes and I hate it for all the reasons it's different from iPhone".

alfistas
Apr 24, 2013, 02:26 AM
I take from your demonstration of superior communication skills that you disagree?

What are you suggesting these supposed Android trolls are doing? Using the "Alternatives" subsection to troll other Android users?

Pure genius. :rolleyes:

Thanks for editing your original post... :rolleyes:

What are you suggesting these supposed Android trolls are doing? Using the "Alternatives" subforum to troll other Android users?

Why aren't these hordes of Android trolls posting large numbers of threads in the "iPhone" subforum where they might actually get their moneys worth?

This subforum is so choked full of FUD and anti-Google misinformation it's becoming barely usable. If these kinds of threads and posts where anywhere else on macrumors they would be removed very quickly. Here, we have to deal with it. Every second thread in here is some iPhone user saying "I used Android on some crappy in-store demo model for about ten minutes and I hate it for all the reasons it's different from iPhone".

Some people have come to MR just to post on the Android subforum and iOS/Google related Front page threads. Why would anyone in their right mind join the largest Apple community on the internet to discuss Android? :confused:
This is what, in my opinion, makes them PROs. They don't concentrate on bashing iOS, but instead "advertise" the "amazing experiences" they've had with Android and how they've been filled with "confidence" ever since they made the "switch". To the trained eye, these are advertising terms and methodology. Mind you, I'm not saying Android is bad, evil, etc, but as an alternative OS it is more directed towards the PC loving crowd than Apple Macintosh users.

It is well known that Apple customers gain mid-upper class incomes which means they make the perfect target group for expensive hi-end Android devices like the GS3/4 and HTC one. Probably also the reason why you rarely hear these people discussing other handsets.

There is nothing Google would love more than Apple customers to switch to Android and finally make their Play store a viable App Store alternative for iOS developers. When that's done, Google can finally take on Microsoft with a true Desktop OS alternative.

All the above are just my personal opinion of course...

SlCKB0Y
Apr 24, 2013, 05:25 AM
Thanks for editing your original post... :rolleyes:

I was editing it almost immediately after posting it. You just replied too quickly :p

OllyW
Apr 24, 2013, 05:33 AM

This is what, in my opinion, makes them PROs. They don't concentrate on bashing iOS, but instead "advertise" the "amazing experiences" they've had with Android and how they've been filled with "confidence" ever since they made the "switch".

Just report these posts and we will investigate.

SlCKB0Y
Apr 24, 2013, 05:33 AM
Some people have come to MR just to post on the Android subforum and iOS/Google related Front page threads. Why would anyone in their right mind join the largest Apple community on the internet to discuss Android?

I mean I don't know, do they actually do this? If they do then this is as equally pathetic.

The point is that there are a lot of people out there that use Apple AND Android gear (myself being one of them). I like having one forum where I can talk about both these types of devices.

I can respect that everyone has their own opinion and there is no such thing as a "wrong" one. What does tend to get me posting like a maniac is when people justify their opinions with factually incorrect statements, whether due to ignorance, a wish to troll or spread misinformation.

Almost all my posts in this subforum (and those of a lot of other users in the same class*) are correcting these types of factual errors...this is time wasted that we could have otherwise used to have a constructive discussion.

* By class I mean generally platform agnostic

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 11:06 AM
I mean I don't know, do they actually do this? If they do then this is as equally pathetic.

The point is that there are a lot of people out there that use Apple AND Android gear (myself being one of them). I like having one forum where I can talk about both these types of devices.

I can respect that everyone has their own opinion and there is no such thing as a "wrong" one. What does tend to get me posting like a maniac is when people justify their opinions with factually incorrect statements, whether due to ignorance, a wish to troll or spread misinformation.

Almost all my posts in this subforum (and those of a lot of other users in the same class*) are correcting these types of factual errors...this is time wasted that we could have otherwise used to have a constructive discussion.

* By class I mean generally platform agnostic

Indeed. And it's tiring to be referred to directly or indirectly as a shill (paid or otherwise), hater, or whatever name gets thrown about.

Fact is - most of the people I see posting against FUD/potentially "pro" other tech are not shills at all. We (collectively) just respond to the crap that gets posted and at least try to respond with facts, links, etc.

It's a hard concept for some that people would chose to be more company agnostic and instead embrace the right tech for them - regardless of who makes it. Some people really do think that black/white.

jrswizzle
Apr 24, 2013, 03:23 PM

To be quite honest, yes. Its no longer an "Android vs iOS" conversation.....now you have "Samsung vs HTC". I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a Samsung fan - but I get blasted any time I make any type of critical remark about them (like they are perfect - seems rather ironic huh?).

Its entirely plausible there are Android users trolling other Android users, because now its no longer only a war of the OSes (although it still exists) - but a war of OEMs.

Samsung has become its own thing - despite still being an Android smartphone. Heck, I bet if you asked people who own a Galaxy phone, most would say it runs TouchWiz or some Samsung software and NOT Android.

But of course there are also those iOS users who come to troll and spew FUD as well. But don't pretend like Android users aren't doing so as well - and yes, to other Android users.

It's gotten real crazy.

Tinmania
Apr 24, 2013, 07:20 PM
I have to say I agree 100% and this forum is a breath of fresh air. There are a couple trolls but on the most part it's fanatic free unlike some other sites.

The worst that I see here are from die-hard Apple fans. There are a few--and only a few--who can't see anything else but Apple. Any opinion contrary to Apple is dismissed as "paid shill," "why are you here then" (in this forum!) or as if it was treasonous.

Michael

fredaroony
Apr 24, 2013, 07:38 PM
The worst that I see here are from die-hard Apple fans. There are a few--and only a few--who can't see anything else but Apple. Any opinion contrary to Apple is dismissed as "paid shill," "why are you here then" (in this forum!) or as if it was treasonous.

Michael

Yet it's still a million times better than the lunatics at Appleinsider. They take fanboism to a whole new level and even the mods join in on the trolling.

There are also so many racist comments that seem to be allowed on that site and it's disgusting.

Tinmania
Apr 24, 2013, 07:45 PM
Yet it's still a million times better than the lunatics at Appleinsider. They take fanboism to a whole new level and even the mods join in on the trolling.
True indeed.

Michael

alfistas
Apr 25, 2013, 04:14 AM

Michael

Agreed! But lets not generalise too much... I'm sure you'll find some Android Trolls here as well. They're usually lurking at the back pages of iOS/Google related threads.

Michael

There are also so many racist comments that seem to be allowed on that site and it's disgusting.

I gotta see this! Any particular thread that I should be looking for?? :p

fredaroony
Apr 25, 2013, 06:03 AM
I gotta see this! Any particular thread that I should be looking for?? :p

Any thread with China or Judge Koh involved would be a start but here is a recent one http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/157068/chinese-site-uses-apples-own-enterprise-tools-to-distribute-free-pirated-apps

There is a particularly cretinous poster that goes by Apple ][...this person is a real piece of work and a very nasty individual.

alfistas
Apr 25, 2013, 06:59 AM
Any thread with China or Judge Koh involved would be a start but here is a recent one http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/157068/chinese-site-uses-apples-own-enterprise-tools-to-distribute-free-pirated-apps

There is a particularly cretinous poster that goes by Apple ][...this person is a real piece of work and a very nasty individual.

I agree. This is almost as bad as Phandroid.com and GSMArena. Well... Almost.

Here is a nice example by a user called dlads...

dlads
Apple will fall, and i will be a happy man when they do, they're selling crap which people just gobble up.

Closed source, controlling company with controlling OS', basic and static OS which has not changed for years on iphone.

If you buy apple you may as well get a tattoo with MUG written across your forehead.

Android gives, apple restricts.

Android lets you choose, apple chooses for you.

Only sheep should apply.

Source (http://www.gsmarena.com/newscomm-5905.php)

adder7712
Apr 25, 2013, 07:16 AM
Shows how low fanboys could get.

paulsalter
Apr 25, 2013, 07:21 AM

dlads
Apple will fall, and i will be a happy man when they do, they're selling crap which people just gobble up.

Closed source, controlling company with controlling OS', basic and static OS which has not changed for years on iphone.

If you buy apple you may as well get a tattoo with MUG written across your forehead.

Only sheep should apply.

no worse than a lot of posts in this forum

just look at any that mention Samsung

adder7712
Apr 25, 2013, 07:46 AM
no worse than a lot of posts in this forum

just look at any that mention Samsung

Especially when that "god forsaken" name is brought up in a thread in the News forum.

paulsalter
Apr 25, 2013, 07:52 AM
Especially when that "god forsaken" name is brought up in a thread in the News forum.

Indeed, that was mainly where i meant

Not surprising though, the "others" get a bad name around here and get the bad press, just like on sites for "the others" Apple gets a bad name

keeps me entertained though reading them (but it does remind me of OS X/Windows discussions from years ago)

alfistas
Apr 25, 2013, 08:02 AM
keeps me entertained though reading them (but it does remind me of OS X/Windows discussions from years ago)

It reminds me of the bitter rivalry between Amiga and Atari ST fans. No internet back then so all the fighting was done face to face... that was fun! :p

Consultant
Apr 25, 2013, 02:44 PM
Fortune / CNN writer points out how Samsung's fake review army flooded the comment section:
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/21/apple-samsung-agent-provocateurs/

fredaroony
Apr 25, 2013, 08:50 PM

dlads

Only sheep should apply.

Check out some of the psychotic ramblings of this fool http://forums.appleinsider.com/newsearch?Search=SEARCH&action=disp&advanced=1&byuser=Apple+%5D%5B&newer=1&numupdates=&order=descending&replycompare=gt&sdate=0&search=&sort=relevance&titleonly=0&type=36&start=25

alfistas
Apr 26, 2013, 07:22 AM
Check out some of the psychotic ramblings of this fool http://forums.appleinsider.com/newsearch?Search=SEARCH&action=disp&advanced=1&byuser=Apple+%5D%5B&newer=1&numupdates=&order=descending&replycompare=gt&sdate=0&search=&sort=relevance&titleonly=0&type=36&start=25

What do you expect from a guy who identifies himself as a "fandroid killer"?

fredaroony
Apr 26, 2013, 07:35 AM
What do you expect from a guy who identifies himself as a "fandroid killer"?

Not much from the poster but you would expect the moderators to do something but they seem to just join in.