PDA

View Full Version : The Curtain Call

Bulb
Oct 25, 2005, 12:46 AM
Are you guys pissed that soon macs will be x86 ? Thats gotta kill the myth a bit doesnt it ? When this change happens common desktop computers will essentially all be the same and operating systems will be the only thing to seperate everyone.. And if Apple continue to charge the inflated prices for hardware when the only difference to generic pc parts is a small identity flag on the motherboard or cpu then it will be nothing short of highway robbery..

It's like someone coming up and saying here is a prestige car that is 100% the same as the next but it doesnt contain the prestige logo, would you pay double for the one with the logo or buy the one without ?? If/when it becomes thousands of dollars saving its worthwhile to save the money i think..

At this point i think Apple should allow the operating system and the hardware to seperate and try and obtain a bigger chunk of the market through the operating system.. It would be a rude act to try and pass off the x86 machines as somehow more special than a generic well built PC..

OS X does seem to me to be more newbie friendly than XP so it makes sense to try and get it into the mum and dad market more than PC's. But when the only option mum and dad have in doing that includes paying double for the mac it puts the kaibosh on it.. Sell the OS unrestricted to run on PC hardware and its bound to pick up more steam than the legacy/bundled mentality.