PDA

View Full Version : Mactel Ibooks whats going to be in them?

bob909bob
Oct 25, 2005, 03:23 AM
Just curious what do you all think will be in the mactel ibooks since they will likely be the first mac-intel computers. Do you think being the first will make them buggy in anyways?

I'm guessing that they will probaly be the same as the current Ibooks in most repeects. The only differences I realistically expect is possbily Radeon 9600 vid cards maybe 64mb but probaly still 32mb and probaly 1.3 Pentium M in the 12 inch and 1.4 in the 14 inch. Maybe widescreens too?

chungbob
Oct 25, 2005, 04:35 AM
yes exactly that.

iEdd
Oct 25, 2005, 04:41 AM
I doubt ibooks are going to go widescreen too soon. 64MB video cards should be in the next revision.
I am almost certain that powerbooks will be first to go intel.. They had the sh.ttest excuse of an update out of all of them (the 12", anyway).

Chundles
Oct 25, 2005, 04:49 AM
Hamsters and sawdust.

This is what Intel are going to offer us. It'll be good too compared to the Gerbils and sawdust Freescale are offering us at the moment.

Mind you there's not much out there that can beat the Raccoons and pine mulch in the Mac desktops. We'll probably wait a little longer for them to be replaced, hopefully with ferrets or even quokkas. That'd be cool.

wide
Oct 25, 2005, 06:56 AM
i don't think we can know for sure. i think the ibook line will be one of the last to go to intel, they will first be revised with faster G4 processors.

DarkNetworks
Oct 25, 2005, 07:03 AM
Just curious what do you all think will be in the mactel ibooks since they will likely be the first mac-intel computers.

Well i dunno...probally the INTEL INSIDE logo?

Chundles
Oct 25, 2005, 07:15 AM
Well i dunno...probally the INTEL INSIDE logo?

Yeah, it won't be a sticker but it'll be a part of the Apple logo on the back so that you see it everytime your open her up.

yoak
Oct 25, 2005, 08:21 AM
Yeah, it won't be a sticker but it'll be a part of the Apple logo on the back so that you see it everytime your open her up.

:( :( :(

yoak
Oct 25, 2005, 08:22 AM
No, seriously, I think (or hope) that we will see better screens and a new formfactor

DarkNetworks
Oct 25, 2005, 08:43 AM
No, seriously, I think (or hope) that we will see better screens and a new formfactor

Maybe...cos this is like wht..the next BIG move for Apple?

Bear
Oct 25, 2005, 08:51 AM
i don't think we can know for sure. i think the ibook line will be one of the last to go to intel, they will first be revised with faster G4 processors.Actually the consumer machines (iBook, mini, iMac) are the ones most likely to go Intel sooner. The Pro machines need to wait for the Pro apps to be available (or they won't sell).

wordmunger
Oct 25, 2005, 08:53 AM
Actually the consumer machines (iBook, mini, iMac) are the ones most likely to go Intel sooner. The Pro machines need to wait for the Pro apps to be available (or they won't sell).
I disagree. As long as they've got MS office, which is what most people use, they'll sell like hotcakes. Plus you've got to figure all the *apple* apps (FC pro, Aperture, pro audio apps) will be good to go.

bigandy
Oct 25, 2005, 09:05 AM
but without the heavyweight stuff from Adobe/Macromedia they're going to hold off. Apple's Pro Apps line is responsible for shifting a huge number of pro macs, but without Photoshop, Dreamweaver and so on running natively (esp Photoshop: can you imagine it running through rosetta??) i think they'd keep them back.

paulypants
Oct 25, 2005, 09:49 AM
Apple has stated that they will start the transition with comsumer machines and work up to pro by the end of 2007, by this I'm assuming PMacs and XServes? The exception will most likely be for PBooks.

Spock
Oct 25, 2005, 09:53 AM

Yeah ok, just like all the PowerPC logos on the iBook??

onetwoxu
Oct 26, 2005, 03:48 AM
i'd like to see a new form factor, but the fact that it's going to have a pentium m is the major factor in me drooling over them months and months before they're even announced. here is hoping for an ibook that ACTUALLY gets 6 hours of battery life.

Skareb
Oct 26, 2005, 04:58 AM
If it comes with a 9600 I'd be disapointed

Those cards aren't even avaliable for the PC market anymore

JOrdan

Palad1
Oct 26, 2005, 05:00 AM
Hamsters and sawdust.

This is what Intel are going to offer us. It'll be good too compared to the Gerbils and sawdust Freescale are offering us at the moment.

Mind you there's not much out there that can beat the Raccoons and pine mulch in the Mac desktops. We'll probably wait a little longer for them to be replaced, hopefully with ferrets or even quokkas. That'd be cool.

I was wondering how they fed my Tiger...

JonBoy470
Oct 26, 2005, 06:54 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple does a new form-factor for the iBook when it transitions to Intel.

That said, get ready for Intel Media Graphics 900 or whatever the bunny suit men are calling their integrated video solution by the time Apple unveils their new product. Be prepared for Apple to use the video as a differentiator/upsell opportunity between the iBook and Powerbook.

The iBook will use integrated graphics for lower cost, design simplicity (these go hand in hand) and offer longer battery life as a bonus. Powerbook will come with discrete graphics, e.g. ATI mobility x300 or x600, or GeForce Go 6600 or 6800, or whatever ATI/NVidia has replaced these with for greater performance.

dmw007
Oct 26, 2005, 07:25 AM
If it comes with a 9600 I'd be disapointed

Those cards aren't even avaliable for the PC market anymore

JOrdan

No, they are using "integrated graphics" crap on their consumer laptops. Heck, Dell is still using a 32MB ATI Radeon 9000 on their Inspiron 600m.

So those things considered, the 9600 does not look that bad.

dmw007
Oct 26, 2005, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple does a new form-factor for the iBook when it transitions to Intel.

That said, get ready for Intel Media Graphics 900 or whatever the bunny suit men are calling their integrated video solution by the time Apple unveils their new product. Be prepared for Apple to use the video as a differentiator/upsell opportunity between the iBook and Powerbook.

The iBook will use integrated graphics for lower cost, design simplicity (these go hand in hand) and offer longer battery life as a bonus. Powerbook will come with discrete graphics, e.g. ATI mobility x300 or x600, or GeForce Go 6600 or 6800, or whatever ATI/NVidia has replaced these with for greater performance.

I sure hope not.

Integrated Graphics = pure evil. :mad:

miloblithe
Oct 26, 2005, 08:06 AM

Unfortunately, you're probably right. That sucks though.

I'd add that by the time of the Intel transition, I'd expect the 14" screen to get a bump up from 1024x768.

Skareb
Oct 26, 2005, 08:24 AM
Integrated Graphics = pure evil. :mad:
Don't all non-PowerMac Mac's have intergrated graphics:D

Jordan

P.S: Mr. Bond, Dell is Poo and as such shouldn't be used for any comparisims

louis_sx
Oct 26, 2005, 09:03 AM
I LOVE the formfactor of the current iBook and 12" PowerBook...they're so small, utilitarian, sleek designs. The fact that we've had the same iBook for 4 years tells me that it was ahead of its time.

Skareb - not really. By "integrated graphics" most people mean shared memory architecture, using part of RAM for video. Apple hasn't done that to us in a VERY long time (68k days, IIRC). Onboard graphics (implying a discrete memory bank and discrete graphics controller) are what non-PowerMac machines have.

dmw007
Oct 26, 2005, 09:08 AM
Don't all non-PowerMac Mac's have intergrated graphics:D

Jordan

P.S: Mr. Bond, Dell is Poo and as such shouldn't be used for any comparisims

Yes, there are essentially "built-in" video. But they have their own cpus and vram so they don't suck away valuable system resources like integrated graphics chipsets do.

dmw007
Oct 26, 2005, 09:15 AM
I LOVE the formfactor of the current iBook and 12" PowerBook...they're so small, utilitarian, sleek designs. The fact that we've had the same iBook for 4 years tells me that it was ahead of its time.

As do I- Apple did it right when they came out with the current iBooks. :)

Can't say the same for most other computer manufacturer's laptop designs.