PDA

View Full Version : [All iPads] iCarbons, Sticker Boy, etc --- NO Apple Logo????

fairplayinc
Apr 17, 2013, 09:54 AM
Sorry if I'm late to the gate on this one but the is absolute BS!

Both iCarbons and sticker boy, as well as others I'm sure, got a letter FROM APPLE asking them to stop using the Apple cutout as it could be trademark infringement.

Why would Apple want to shut down something that glamorizes there product and logo!?!? I have bought at least a dozen iCarbons skins for various products and everyone raves about how great it make the devices look.

WAKE UP APPLE!!! STOP BULLYING THE LITTLE GUYS!!!

Apple's overwhelming need for control will be there downfall.

Sorry, all of this over a sticker.

End Rant.

jonAppleSeed
Apr 17, 2013, 10:00 AM
Did they license the design from Apple?
No? Then it's trademark infringement.

jpmcnown
Apr 17, 2013, 10:11 AM
If it serves Apple, then they are ALL about people mistaking other products as their own. You'd think Apple would WANT people to see that logo. Really, just another nail in the coffin.

I remember having the original iPad, and everyone would come up asking "Oooh, is that the iPad?" But if Apple no longer wants their products publicly recognized, screw em. I would call those places back, and ask if you can get an iPad Mini skin with a Windows 8 logo, or Samsung logo instead. Having a Windows 8 logo on your iPad Mini isn't going to "magically" improve it's functionality, but at least people won't think you're a barista.

glen e
Apr 17, 2013, 12:24 PM
Appleseed above gets it.....it's business....by protecting what they own, they enhance value...take some econ 101....

fairplayinc
Apr 17, 2013, 02:55 PM
Apple should pick there battles.

If they want to dangle there big swinging D in the faces of the little guys, they could at least offer a similar product. A product that the consumer base obviously wants.

dastinger
Apr 17, 2013, 04:01 PM
Just tell me something, please. What did they stop doing? Did they stop cutting the logo or just stop adding the little piece of skin to put on top of the Apple logo?

This is regarding a Macbook Pro skin but I think it's the same.

fairplayinc
Apr 17, 2013, 04:04 PM
Just tell me something, please. What did they stop doing? Did they stop cutting the logo or just stop adding the little piece of skin to put on top of the Apple logo?

This is regarding a Macbook Pro skin but I think it's the same.

They stopped cutting the logo all together.

dastinger
Apr 17, 2013, 07:57 PM
They stopped cutting the logo all together.
Really? What the...? FFS, sometimes I just don't understand what Apple is doing :mad:

I was thinking about buying one to put it together with a smartshell and now I don't even know. Really disappointed at this :(

Thank you for the insight

vmaniqui
Apr 17, 2013, 10:13 PM
i can hear what apple is doing. in the first place this is not an Apple product so they do have the right to do ask them to stop putting an Apple logo. you do have an actual Ipad in there and you're just adding a protection so why complain if there is no Apple logo. copyright is what they are after. they have the right to protect their brand. it's their logo and only them can use it. also, people might start suing Apple if something happened to a customer who has the iCarbon. they will say hey this is your product as it has your logo in their....so i will sue you as my ipad has some scratches, etc, etc...

fairplayinc
Apr 17, 2013, 10:25 PM
Please see the attached photo. This is my MacBook Air. I think that it looks freaking awesome with this iCarbons skin on it.

Now compare that to one that has no cutaway and you will see the difference between a great looking enhancement to a product via an awesome product and a great product who's glowing logo is snuffed out by a solid piece of 3M carbon.

Night and day.

This isn't about trademark infringement, it's about control.

vmaniqui
Apr 17, 2013, 11:35 PM
Please see the attached photo. This is my MacBook Air. It's my opinion that it looks freaking awesome with this iCarbons skin on it.

Now compare that to one that has no cutaway and you will see the difference between a great looking enhancement to a product via an awesome product and a great product who's glowing logo is snuffed out by a solid piece of 3M carbon.

Night and day.

FYI....

Unauthorized Use of Apple Trademarks

2. Apple Logo and Apple-owned Graphic Symbols: You may not use the Apple Logo or any other Apple-owned graphic symbol, logo, or icon on or in connection with web sites, products, packaging, manuals, promotional/advertising materials, or for any other purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license from Apple, such as a reseller agreement.

if they do have an agreement, i don't think apple will prevent them but i guess they don't.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 17, 2013, 11:49 PM
Please see the attached photo. This is my MacBook Air. It's my opinion that it looks freaking awesome with this iCarbons skin on it.

Night and day.

Personally, I think it looks really horrid. It doesn't matter if it looks freaking awesome or not, trademark infringement is what it is. Of course the entity behind the trademark wants control. That is just common sense. If I create some logo or whatever, I would want to control how it's being used. I wouldn't want just anyone and everyone to use it however they pleased.

vmaniqui
Apr 17, 2013, 11:53 PM
personally, i think it looks really horrid. It doesn't matter if it looks freaking awesome or not, trademark infringement is what it is. Of course the entity behind the trademark wants control. That is just common sense. If i create some logo or whatever, i would want to control how it's being used. I wouldn't want just anyone and everyone to use it however they pleased.

+1.

jpmcnown
Apr 18, 2013, 07:33 AM
Personally, I think it looks really horrid. It doesn't matter if it looks freaking awesome or not, trademark infringement is what it is. Of course the entity behind the trademark wants control. That is just common sense. If I create some logo or whatever, I would want to control how it's being used. I wouldn't want just anyone and everyone to use it however they pleased.

+2 I agree, Using the Apple logo, makes anything look horrid. If you're looking for a sticker that'll get you props on this site, you've gotta have at least some marriage equality stickers and rainbows, that'll look magical.

TJ61
Apr 18, 2013, 04:15 PM
If you stop protecting your trademark, you stand a chance of losing your trademark.

Regards,
Tom

glen e
Apr 18, 2013, 05:23 PM
This thread breaks this way:

if you are in business, you understand what apple is doing

If you are still in school or not in biz, you think everyone should be able to use the logo....

it's that simple

TC25
Apr 18, 2013, 05:59 PM

If you are still in school or not in biz or are 12 years old or less, don't have a clue, think the world revolves around you, you think everyone should be able to use the logo....

Some additions to assist people in determining what camp they are in.

glen e
Apr 18, 2013, 07:05 PM
excellent additions.....LOL

BarryL
Apr 18, 2013, 07:55 PM

If you are still in school or not in biz, you think everyone should be able to use the logo....

it's that simple

Best statement of the day.

SchneiderMan
Apr 22, 2013, 02:20 PM
What's so bad about covering up a company's logo? Are you that proud of advertising for them? It's not like the iPad will look any worse with its logo covered up by your favorite skin..

fairplayinc
Apr 22, 2013, 02:31 PM
I'm over it. I called Apple and got nowhere in my attempt to gain "permission" to use the logo. I got a tele prompt that told me to email them. I emailed them and got a reply to call them.

So I have decided to make my own. Maybe that is the only way to get there attention. Because God knows they certainly don't listen to customers.

vmaniqui
Apr 22, 2013, 05:19 PM
I'm over it. I called Apple and got nowhere in my attempt to gain "permission" to use the logo. I got a tele prompt that told me to email them. I emailed them and got a reply to call them.

So I have decided to make my own. Maybe that is the only way to get there attention. Because God knows they certainly don't listen to customers.

you're trying to contact apple to get permission to use their logo ? initially you said you're pissed off that iCarbon is getting rid of Apple logo. it will take more than a phone/email to get their attention or give you permit to use their logo. calling them will not accomplish anything. this is a legal matter and now you're complaining that they are not listening to you. as what others are saying - what's the difference if there is an Apple logo on your iCarbon/case ? will it make your apple product superior to other apple product ?

jpmcnown
Apr 22, 2013, 05:40 PM
This thread breaks two ways:

1>Those that would defend Apple molesting children as a clear business strategy that if not understood, is clearly because you're an idiot.

2>Those that understand that it's a ridiculously bad marketing strategy for Apple to not want their brand/image plastered in as many places as possible, particularly when Apple themselves don't offer a competing product.

3>Those that can't count

TC25
Apr 22, 2013, 06:28 PM

This thread breaks two ways:

1>Those that would defend Apple molesting children as a clear business strategy that if not understood, is clearly because you're an idiot.

2>Those that understand that it's a ridiculously bad marketing strategy for Apple to not want their brand/image plastered in as many places as possible, particularly when Apple themselves don't offer a competing product.

3>Those that can't count

You two are not stupid, just ignorant and your posts show it by their irrelevance. Read up on what trademarks are and why companies like Apple have to defend them.

TC25
Apr 29, 2013, 07:25 AM
i totally agree with you, they need to stop suing everybody
What don't you understand about a company needing to protect it's intellectual property?

It doesn't matter whether it's a big company using their trademarked/copyrighted intellectual property or a mom-and-pop company using it. If Apple doesn't protect their IP, they could lose it.

jpmcnown
May 3, 2013, 10:13 PM
You two are not stupid, just ignorant and your posts show it by their irrelevance. Read up on what trademarks are and why companies like Apple have to defend them.

I just read up on every single company like Apple, all none of them. If a company is in any way "like", Apple, they'll sue their ass into non-existence. I gotta give it to Apple though, they did figure out how to have intellectual property, without having intellectuals.

TC25
May 4, 2013, 03:58 AM
I just read up on every single company like Apple, all none of them. If a company is in any way "like", Apple, they'll sue their ass into non-existence. I gotta give it to Apple though, they did figure out how to have intellectual property, without having intellectuals.

I am sure your post passes for intellectual witticism in study hall.

IGregory
May 4, 2013, 04:17 AM
If it serves Apple, then they are ALL about people mistaking other products as their own. You'd think Apple would WANT people to see that logo. Really, just another nail in the coffin.

I remember having the original iPad, and everyone would come up asking "Oooh, is that the iPad?" But if Apple no longer wants their products publicly recognized, screw em. I would call those places back, and ask if you can get an iPad Mini skin with a Windows 8 logo, or Samsung logo instead. Having a Windows 8 logo on your iPad Mini isn't going to "magically" improve it's functionality, but at least people won't think you're a barista.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe there is a concept in law that says in effect if a trademark holder declines to enforce his trademark he loses all rights to challenge its violation later. In labor law organizations that have unions, allowing a particular practice to occur repeatedly becomes a past practice and can't be changed without bargaining. Apple is right to enforce its trademark. The adage, "use it or lose it", comes to mind. :)

I have a Kuzy clear guard covering my rMBP. The Apple shield shines thru without a cut out. Other brands also have the full cover without the Apple cut out. Now, I wonder why they chose to produce their product that way?

TC25
May 4, 2013, 07:00 AM
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe there is a concept in law that says in effect if a trademark holder declines to enforce his trademark he loses all rights to challenge its violation later. In labor law organizations that have unions, allowing a particular practice to occur repeatedly becomes a past practice and can't be changed without bargaining. Apple is right to enforce its trademark. The adage, "use it or lose it", comes to mind. :)

Using half the words, this is what I posted. It won't get through to people angry in their ignorance.

jpmcnown
May 7, 2013, 06:38 PM
I am sure your post passes for intellectual witticism in study hall.

The intellectual impressiveness bar set by Apple, is frankly pretty low. I know people with an extra chromosome that are insulted by what Apple considers a "genius".

fairplayinc
May 7, 2013, 07:21 PM
Using half the words, this is what I posted. It won't get through to people angry in their ignorance.

TC25, there is no need for name calling. I'm well aware of the standard legal processes that corporations follow. That doesn't mean that I think that it's right.

The way you rely to posts, you come across as someone who also thinks our government has only your best interests at heart.

This seems to be a typical Apple forum though. Anytime I see posts with people just wanting to vent about a product or service, or need help with something, there is always the question of "why do you want to do that?". Instead of "let me help you" mentality. I obviously made a mistake thinking this place was any different. The majority of the Apple forum trolls all have the same arrogant replies. It's replies like that that push people to more open forums.

You would think that a long standing "per-intel" group of people would be a little more open minded and less discriminatory. Especially since that group has there own discriminatory problems with society.

charlituna
May 7, 2013, 09:41 PM
Really? What the...? FFS, sometimes I just don't understand what Apple is doing :mad:

Legally they have to do it. Trademark protection requires that you enforce that only you (and those you license to) can use the mark . If you don't then you lose the mark. Case in point, aspirin was once a trademark of Bayer for a certain drug formula. They didn't stop others from using it for several years and lost the right to stop them.

TC25
May 8, 2013, 03:32 AM
TC25, there is no need for name calling.
I didn't call anyone names.

I'm well aware of the standard legal processes that corporations follow. That doesn't mean that I think that it's right.
Then why did you start this thread?

The way you rely to posts, you come across as someone who also thinks our government has only your best interests at heart.

Read my signature line. Regardless, the government has nothing to do with this issue.

This seems to be a typical Apple forum though. Anytime I see posts with people just wanting to vent about a product or service,

And it is always so wonderful that people want to spew their juvenile venom in a discussion forum.

or need help with something, there is always the question of "why do you want to do that?".

People who genuinely need help ALWAYS get helped on MR. People who are too lazy to search usually do not. Venting is usually ignored. Ignorant, uninformed venting is not.

Instead of "let me help you" mentality. I obviously made a mistake thinking this place was any different.

You said you know the 'standard legal processes corporations follow'. Exactly what did you need help with?

The majority of the Apple forum trolls all have the same arrogant replies. It's replies like that that push people to more open forums.

You mean forums where uninformed ventings are accepted without comment.

You would think that a long standing "per-intel" group

I have no idea what a "per-intel" group is.

...of people would be a little more open minded and less discriminatory. Especially since that group has there own discriminatory problems with society.

Clearly your definition of "open minded" means people who mindlessly agree with you.

Especially since that group has there own discriminatory problems with society.
:confused:

fairplayinc
May 12, 2013, 05:05 PM
I didn't call anyone names.

Then why did you start this thread?

Read my signature line. Regardless, the government has nothing to do with this issue.

And it is always so wonderful that people want to spew their juvenile venom in a discussion forum.

People who genuinely need help ALWAYS get helped on MR. People who are too lazy to search usually do not. Venting is usually ignored. Ignorant, uninformed venting is not.

You said you know the 'standard legal processes corporations follow'. Exactly what did you need help with?

You mean forums where uninformed ventings are accepted without comment.

I have no idea what a "per-intel" group is.

Clearly your definition of "open minded" means people who mindlessly agree with you.

:confused:

Nice little one line comments to every sentence. I figured I would lose you towards the end. Please share your wittiness when you figure it out. Otherwise, troll somewhere else.

TC25
May 12, 2013, 06:16 PM
Nice little one line comments to every sentence.

Bite sized pieces are easier to understand.

I figured I would lose you towards the end.

That corresponded to your divergence from reality.

Please share your wittiness when you figure it out.

Not worth the trouble. "Casting pearls before swine" comes to mind.

Otherwise, troll somewhere else.
Post reported, insulting other members violates MR rules. Unfortunately, educating people who refuse to understand what a copyright is, isn't trolling.

fairplayinc
May 12, 2013, 06:28 PM
Bite sized pieces are easier to understand.

That corresponded to your divergence from reality.

Not worth the trouble. "Casting pearls before swine" comes to mind.

Post reported, insulting other members violates MR rules. Unfortunately, educating people who refuse to understand what a copyright is, isn't trolling.

Wow. I'm impressed. Good ones. Your wittiness knows no bounds. Lets all bow to the witty copyright lawyer wanna be.

Please continue educating all of us that are ignorant and beneath you.

glen e
May 12, 2013, 08:01 PM
Wow. I'm impressed. Good ones. Your wittiness knows no bounds. Lets all bow to the witty copyright lawyer wanna be.

Please continue educating all of us that are ignorant and beneath you.

I'd let this die, he's just mopping the floor with you now....you clearly don't get what trademark protection procedure is, and just want to believe something else...

have a nice day...

vmaniqui
May 13, 2013, 02:10 AM
I'd let this die, he's just mopping the floor with you now....you clearly don't get what trademark protection procedure is, and just want to believe something else...

have a nice day...

totally. and still people can't understand what is right and wrong. why is it that people still insist that it's ok to steal someone else's property. if you owned Apple will you let people use your logo/trademark ? simple as that. it's not about big corporations going after small companies.

jpmcnown
May 14, 2013, 09:36 PM
totally. and still people can't understand what is right and wrong. why is it that people still insist that it's ok to steal someone else's property. if you owned Apple will you let people use your logo/trademark ? simple as that. it's not about big corporations going after small companies.

Though your clear, deliberate effort to anger me was somewhat successful, I believe it adds value to the thread, and because I'm an adult, I'd prefer to have an open dialog about our views regarding patent law, rather than report your offensive post to the moderators.

I believe other companies should take a trademark lesson from Apple™. They are the absolute best at patenting and trademarking obvious things™, and getting people to stand in line thinking it's revolutionary™. Kleenex™ would be completely justified in a court of iPhone™ owners, to sue the **** out of other square box manufactures™. But oh no, Kleenex™ never trademarked their magical, revolutionary, square box of tissues. Kleenex™, what a bunch of idiots that clearly don't understand trademark laws. When not wearing his tin-foil hat™, Steve™ believed the world was out to steal all of his ideas(because St Jobs™ never stole a thing in his life), projecting much Steve™?

"I will spend my last dying™ breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's™ $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong," Jobs™ reportedly said. "I'm going to destroy Android™, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this." -How that working for ya?

Not name calling, but if Steve Jobs™ had worked for Google™, he'd appropriately of been called an egotistical, narcissistic, paranoid schizophrenic, terrorist with nothing new to offer the world. Seems Steve's cult™ was created in his image, and didn't fall far from the Apple™ tree. Apple™ DID change the world of mobile computing, but it had very little to do with imagination, or innovation, and a whole lot to do with squashing the competition, and buying up patents from the companies Apple™ was already using the ideas of, and then suing the competition, claiming "you're using Apple's™ ideas". Ridiculous hypocrites. Thankfully, Apples™' ridiculousness in patent court(Einstein would be proud), is changing patent law to make the world a better place. Steve Jobs™: a patent law revolutionary, and my hero.

Stetrain
May 14, 2013, 09:55 PM
I'm well aware of the standard legal processes that corporations follow. That doesn't mean that I think that it's right.

So you understand that Apple is legally obligated to protect its trademark, but disagree with that legal requirement?

If that's the case, shouldn't you be talking to your congressmen / government representatives instead of ranting about Apple?

jpmcnown
May 15, 2013, 10:45 AM
So you understand that Apple is legally obligated to protect its trademark, but disagree with that legal requirement?

If that's the case, shouldn't you be talking to your congressmen / government representatives instead of ranting about Apple?

Ok, this is all starting to make sense now. And this really hits at the core of this issue. Please don't tell me you believe that crap most of us were subjected to in 2nd grade about "how a bill becomes a law". I really hope you understand that "the people" haven't had representatives in government for a very long time. Most sane, informed people understand that governments work for special interest groups, and corporations, not "the people". Others in this thread may be suffering from the same delusion. If that's the case, shouldn't they be talking to their psychiatrist about upping their meds instead of defending Apple against rants by one of "the people"? Ask Gizmodo editor Jason Chen what lengths (http://gizmodo.com/5836990/lost-iphone-5-investigators-were-impersonating-police) certain corporations will go to in order to protect (http://gizmodo.com/5427058/apple-gestapo-how-apple-hunts-down-leaks) their stolen(aka "lost" to sane people) property.

IGregory
May 15, 2013, 11:17 AM
Most sane, informed people understand that governments work for special interest groups, and corporations, not "the people". to protect (http://gizmodo.com/5427058/apple-gestapo-how-apple-hunts-down-leaks) their stolen(aka "lost" to sane people) property.

For the most part, what you say is true. But, we are still free and the most of us make a good living being citizens here. :)

TC25
May 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
shouldn't they be talking to their psychiatrist about upping their meds instead of defending Apple against rants by one of "the people"?

No, the people who rant should up their meds to help them better cope with reality.