Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvdpearson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Hi,

Since we bought several new iMacs with 10.8, the network folders sharing is not working properly on Windows.

If I share a public folder on 10.7, it is easily reachable by a PC, however, if I share one on 10.8, it prompts me a username/password.

Are you aware of this issue ? Is it something I missed ?

Thank you very for your help, It is very appreciated.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
This is not an issue with 10.8 nor any other OS X version, this is you misunderstanding OS X and file sharing.

If the permissions on the folder are set to anything other than Read/write you need to input a Password, you can see in the sharing Preference folder, if you want a shared folder to be shared without a user needing to input any name and password you can do so by setting it up the right way.

dvdpearson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Hi Justperry,

Thank you for the quick reply.

The wierdest thing is that we've setup the network sharing the same way on all the iMacs we have. But this looks like only our 10.7 is working without a user/pass prompt.

Our folders are set to R/W for everyone and using SMB.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi Justperry,

Thank you for the quick reply.

The wierdest thing is that we've setup the network sharing the same way on all the iMacs we have. But this looks like only our 10.7 is working without a user/pass prompt.

Our folders are set to R/W for everyone and using SMB.

I just tried and have no problem connecting to my Mini which is on 10.8.3 without inputting a password, I even shared the whole Macintosh HD and was not asked for a password if I set everyone to Read/write.
Must be something wrong there.

dvdpearson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Here are two screenshots of my settings. Sorry for giving you a french one.

SMB sharing is enabled, same thing for the "Tous" (Everyone) R/W setting.

Is that something I do not understand or miss ? I'm not that much good at Mac World.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 2.png
    2.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 87

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
This is a not uncommon issue. There are post about it in this forum. I have it with my new iMac with 10.8.3. The solution is to go into network preferences, and disable, then re-enable SMB sharing. Once done it will stick until the Mac is rebooted.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Here are two screenshots of my settings. Sorry for giving you a french one.

SMB sharing is enabled, same thing for the "Tous" (Everyone) R/W setting.

Is that something I do not understand or miss ? I'm not that much good at Mac World.

Thanks!

You are doing it the right way, here is what you can do without having to input the Password each and every time.

If you want to connect to a shared drive and need to input the password there is a box under it to remember the password in keychain, check that box and you should be OK.

See screenshot below, maybe this is what I have done before so that's why I do not have the problem.

Attachments

• Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 64

dvdpearson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Hi justperry!

Your screenshot seems to be on a Mac Server. Since I'm trying to access to a iMac shared folder from a PC, I do not have any of that window.

It offcourse prompt me a password when I'm assigning a user to the SMB server.

Also, I've just tested again the same thing on a 10.7 and everything work fine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.