PDA

View Full Version : New MacHeist nanoBundle Features 8 Mac Apps for $9.99

MacRumors
Apr 17, 2013, 12:57 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/17/new-macheist-nanobundle-features-8-mac-apps-for-9-99/)

MacHeist has launched nanoBundle 3, offering eight apps with a total retail value of $260 for $9.99. The first six are available immediately, with the final two (Little Inferno and Path Finder) being unlocked after a set number of bundles have been sold.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/macheist.jpg
This nanoBundle includes the following apps:

-xScope (http://macheist.com/#xscope) ($30)
-iStopMotion (http://macheist.com/#istopmotion) ($50)
-Totals (http://macheist.com/#totals) ($40)
-Clarify (http://macheist.com/#clarify) ($30)
-Fantastical (http://macheist.com/#fantastical) ($20)
-CleanMyMac 2 (http://macheist.com/#cleanmymac2) ($40)
-Little Inferno (http://macheist.com/#littleinferno) ($10)
-Path Finder (http://macheist.com/#pathfinder) ($40)

The MacHeist bundle can be purchased for the next six days from the website (http://macheist.com). 10% of each purchase can be donated to a partnering charity of the customer's choice.

Article Link: New MacHeist nanoBundle Features 8 Mac Apps for $9.99 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/17/new-macheist-nanobundle-features-8-mac-apps-for-9-99/)

Klae17
Apr 17, 2013, 12:59 PM
Can someone let us know what each app does? I've never heard of any of them.

RoastingPig
Apr 17, 2013, 01:04 PM
i haven't heard of any of these

charlieegan3
Apr 17, 2013, 01:16 PM

I have.

There are links for you to read about each app in the article.

----------

xScope is a practical set of measuring tools for designers and developers. Theyíre great for aligning and inspecting on-screen graphics and layouts.

iStopMotion - almost everyone has a favorite stop motion film, from classics like Gumby to more recent productions like Coraline. If youíve ever dreamed of directing your own stop motion feature, iStopMotion gives you all the tools you need to create a masterpiece.

What better way to spend a rainy day than creating a story, and memories, with your child and their favorite toys.

Totals - If youíve struggled to create professional looking documents in Pages or Word, youíll appreciate the ease with which you can generate slick, customized invoices with Totals.

Never forget who owes you money again. With Totals, all your outstanding invoices and estimates are tracked automatically.

Clarify Clarify makes it easy to create gorgeous tutorials and how-toís. When you need to add a bit of explanation to your screenshots, Clarify is the all in one tool to simplify the process.

Use Clarify whether you need to take a new screenshot or add an existing image, annotate with an arrow or use more advanced options like step numbers, highlights or text. If you have multiple screenshots to illustrate a process, itís easy to organize each one into itís own step of the process and then export slick PDF documents that are easy to read by the less technologically gifted.

Fantasical Admit it, you hate iCalÖ But you donít have to suffer any longer! Presenting Fantastical, a neat little app that streamlines your schedule.

With Fantastical, simply type in the details as a sentence and it automatically detects and schedules your event. It also acts as a hub for your reminders, eliminating the need to juggle multiple programs with different lists.

CleanMyMac 2 Has your Mac been feeling a bit slow lately? CleanMyMac 2 automatically gets rid of bloated, useless files and speeds up your system.

CleanMyMac 2 also has a host of other tools to help you keep your Mac in shape! Quickly uninstall apps you donít use anymore, disable or uninstall extensions, widgets, or preference panes, and securely erase anything you donít want anyone else to find.

Little InfernoExcite your inner pyromaniac! Throw your toys into the fire, and play with them as they burn.

Burn flaming logs, screaming robots, credit cards, batteries, exploding fish, unstable nuclear devices, and tiny galaxies. An adventure that takes place almost entirely in front of a fireplace - about looking up up up out of the chimney, and the cold world just on the other side of the wall.

Path FinderIf youíve ever wished that the Finder supported tabs like a web browser, Path Finder is the tool for you. It also boasts some other features previously confined to web browsing, like bookmarking for your favorite files and folders.

And if you want even more control over your files, you can take advantage of advanced features like batch renaming, file tagging, and advanced searching based on criteria. Customize your experience with the modular interface and spend less time looking for the files you need.

Wonders of the clipboard!:)

Mad Mac Maniac
Apr 17, 2013, 01:16 PM
This is a good price just for fantastical.

parish
Apr 17, 2013, 01:18 PM
Purchased!!

At less than 10 of your American dollars it's worth it just for CleanMyMac2 alone :)

jlc1978
Apr 17, 2013, 01:27 PM
Purchased!!

At less than 10 of your American dollars it's worth it just for CleanMyMac2 alone :)

I'm not sure CMM2 is worth it; I've never found it necessary. I'm sure GGJstudios will weigh in...

That said, Boinx' iStopMotion is pretty neat as is Fantastical. Unfortunately I already have both of them.

jdechko
Apr 17, 2013, 01:27 PM
This is a good price just for fantastical.

Yep. I bought Fantastical alone for $10 when it was on sale. Not interested in the rest of the bundle, though.

Glenny2lappies
Apr 17, 2013, 01:28 PM
What a horrible website! 5.5Mb of ugly graphics and usability fail. Yuck.

Just closed the tab and didn't look any further.

JayCee842
Apr 17, 2013, 01:47 PM
Is it really worth it? Any opinions?

p3ncil
Apr 17, 2013, 01:48 PM
Do we redeem the licenses from MAS?
Or do we have to download the apps individually from the App Developers themselves?

HoosPhotog
Apr 17, 2013, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure CMM2 is worth it; I've never found it necessary. I'm sure GGJstudios will weigh in...

That said, Boinx' iStopMotion is pretty neat as is Fantastical. Unfortunately I already have both of them.

Can you check and see if iStopMotion will let you import a series of images to use as the basis for your movie? I'm hoping I can use it to compose time lapses without having to shoot tethered to my laptop.

Thanks!

Comeagain?
Apr 17, 2013, 01:57 PM
Can you check and see if iStopMotion will let you import a series of images to use as the basis for your movie? I'm hoping I can use it to compose time lapses without having to shoot tethered to my laptop.

Thanks!

Yes.

Apr 17, 2013, 02:04 PM

Not worth it.

HoosPhotog
Apr 17, 2013, 02:08 PM
Yes.

Awesome thanks! Definitely buying this then- worth it just for Fantastical at that price, double worth it now!

baller1308
Apr 17, 2013, 02:17 PM
I've used both Fantastical and CleanMyMac at one point and both were great. Not sure about the other apps. Seems like a decent package though with just those 2 apps.

osx11
Apr 17, 2013, 02:20 PM
Stupid marketing. Now people have an incentive to hold off with their purchase and wait for the extra apps to be unlocked.

This makes no sense.

macbwizard
Apr 17, 2013, 02:21 PM
I remember 4-5 years ago when these bundles actually had useful apps.

jamesr19
Apr 17, 2013, 02:24 PM
Stupid marketing. Now people have an incentive to hold off with their purchase and wait for the extra apps to be unlocked.

This makes no sense.

If you buy it now, you get the apps when they're unlocked too...

Release
Apr 17, 2013, 02:35 PM
I've used both Fantastical and CleanMyMac at one point and both were great. Not sure about the other apps. Seems like a decent package though with just those 2 apps.

Same here. I almost bought CleanMyMac 2 yesterday but held off until it went on sale somewhere so this is great news for me and an instant buy.

Supacon
Apr 17, 2013, 02:37 PM
This looks like a great deal. Some good apps in here. I happen to need a simple, elegant program for creating invoices, so Totals is interesting. I've long been interested in CleanMyMac, but not enough to pay for it. And FantastiCal has a lot of fans, and am excited to try it.
By far, the thing that excites me the most is PathFinder. It looks like a capable replacement for the Directory Opus that I so love under Windows.
I really hope that it gets unlocked, but I'm not sure why they don't show how many purchases are required for it to be unlocked.

JayMBP
Apr 17, 2013, 02:43 PM
Only app I really want is Pathfinder.

I guess I'll wait when it hits.

CylonGlitch
Apr 17, 2013, 02:52 PM

This makes no sense.

I've never seen them NOT reach the quota needed to unlock. I've purchased many of the apps from MacHeist, and never once have they not unlocked. Thus I just purchased this; StopMotion will be great, my son loves video editing. I've been wanting Fantastical, so that's great. And Clarify is perfect for what I do at work, often.

Doctor Q
Apr 17, 2013, 03:01 PM
Four of the apps are in the App Store, where you can read descriptions and reviews:
xScope (https://itunes.apple.com/app/xscope/id447661441?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo%3D4)

iStopMotion (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/istopmotion-3/id546649552?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo%3D4)

Clarify (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clarify/id455888980?ls=1&mt=12)

Fantastical (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id435003921?mt=12)

Just don't buy them there while you can get the bundle!

Mike Oxard
Apr 17, 2013, 03:02 PM
I think it's worth it just for iStopMotion which is great fun on the iPad. I was only just talking with my 10yo son about making a stop motion of his new LEGO figures, so this is timed perfectly :)

jnpayne
Apr 17, 2013, 03:04 PM
Pay What You Want for 10 top Mac Apps worth $399 - https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-name-your-own-price-mac-bundle-2-0

You can name your own price for 10 different Mac apps, including Crossover and Gemini, and part of the proceeds go to charity.

The bundle includes:

DiskTools Pro: a hard drive utility for backup, repair, and more.
CrossOver 12: Software that allows you to run Windows apps on your Mac without a copy of Windows.
Snapz Pro X: A screen recorder.
Paperless: A digital storage box for all your scanned documents.
Mac Blu-Ray Player: A Blu-Ray player.
Gemini: A fast search engine for duplicate files.
Musictube: A music player that turns YouTube into a big jukebox.
HoudahSpot: A fast search engine for files.
Elmedia Player Pro: A video player for Flash files so you can download and play them locally.
PhotoBulk: A bulk resizer, optimizer, and watermarker for photos.

onejed1
Apr 17, 2013, 03:12 PM
Heads up, for those interested in xScope Mirror functionality, it is written in several places including inside the xScope app that the companion app "xScope Mirror" for iPhone and iPad is supposed to be free, but it's showing up as $1.99 in the app store for me.

Looks like they increased the price from free to 1.99 on Apr 14, 2013, just in time for this macheist bundle.

RoastingPig
Apr 17, 2013, 03:25 PM
i guess even tho i have no use for this i just like a long dock

Saladinos
Apr 17, 2013, 03:48 PM
Despite what you may read, the XScope Mirror app is not free! :mad:

TimTheEnchanter
Apr 17, 2013, 03:57 PM
Pay What You Want for 10 top Mac Apps worth $399 - https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-name-your-own-price-mac-bundle-2-0

You can name your own price for 10 different Mac apps, including Crossover and Gemini, and part of the proceeds go to charity.

The bundle includes:

DiskTools Pro: a hard drive utility for backup, repair, and more.
CrossOver 12: Software that allows you to run Windows apps on your Mac without a copy of Windows.
Snapz Pro X: A screen recorder.
Paperless: A digital storage box for all your scanned documents.
Mac Blu-Ray Player: A Blu-Ray player.
Gemini: A fast search engine for duplicate files.
Musictube: A music player that turns YouTube into a big jukebox.
HoudahSpot: A fast search engine for files.
Elmedia Player Pro: A video player for Flash files so you can download and play them locally.
PhotoBulk: A bulk resizer, optimizer, and watermarker for photos.

I grabbed that one this morning, paid a little extra for the charity. Most apps I really could use, couple not so much. I already own a few from the nanoBundle so passing on that one.

Jessica Lares
Apr 17, 2013, 04:02 PM
Can someone confirm if we actually get serials or not? I feel like we're getting fooled out of our money, especially when these are apps worth $260 and are pretty much the really popular ones.

Alo, don't use CleanMyMac 2. At least for now. I actually updated the other day (it was a free upgrade if you got it in the last few months I think?), and before I clicked the okay for it to cleanup, I noticed it was about to delete my entire Documents folder! :eek:

Jemi9OD
Apr 17, 2013, 04:20 PM
Can someone confirm if we actually get serials or not? I feel like we're getting fooled out of our money, especially when these are apps worth $260 and are pretty much the really popular ones.

You do get legit serials for each app.

Jessica Lares
Apr 17, 2013, 04:25 PM
You do get legit serials for each app.

THANK YOU! On some of the MacHeist 4 ones, there are some that were sold as frozen and are now outdated. Courier in particular has some API issues the last time I tried using it.

Andy-V
Apr 17, 2013, 04:32 PM
I've never seen them NOT reach the quota needed to unlock. I've purchased many of the apps from MacHeist, and never once have they not unlocked. Thus I just purchased this

Yes exactly. The "unlockable" apps in these kinds of bundles will always be unlocked because the deals have already been done with the app authors. It's just a gimmick.

In fact in the last bundle these guys did, the targets actually weren't being met. You could literally see them not being met and yet still unlocking.

Looks like there's a further 2 apps that will be added to the bundle also, behind those additional windows. That's another thing they normally do, add some extra unannounced apps.

flottenheimer
Apr 17, 2013, 05:17 PM
Does anyone know if iStopMotion is the latest version? (3 / 3.0.2, I think)

Abazigal
Apr 17, 2013, 05:21 PM

This makes no sense.

I agree. I wanted to spring for fantastical last week, but was holding off for another discount. As it is, it is the only app in the bundle that I really care about, but the initial asking price was just too much.

Now, fantastical has to share their profits with the other companies. They should just focus on pricing their products fairly and forget about gimmicky promotions like this.

komodrone
Apr 17, 2013, 06:09 PM
xScope is useful for UX/GUI designers.

MrMayface
Apr 17, 2013, 07:50 PM
Can someone tell me how I can get these programs on my laptop? I downloaded them on my iMac, but when I try to get them on the laptop through iTunes, it's trying to charge me.

Stella
Apr 17, 2013, 08:24 PM
Can someone tell me how I can get these programs on my laptop? I downloaded them on my iMac, but when I try to get them on the laptop through iTunes, it's trying to charge me.

You don't go through the appstore.. go to MacHeist.com, buy and download from there.

AppStore has nothing to do with the bundle - and wouldn't be possible anyway.

---
Pretty good bundle, I have most of the apps but if I didn't I'd definitely be buying.

MrMayface
Apr 17, 2013, 08:40 PM
You don't go through the appstore.. go to MacHeist.com, buy and download from there.

AppStore has nothing to do with the bundle - and wouldn't be possible anyway.

---
Pretty good bundle, I have most of the apps but if I didn't I'd definitely be buying.I've already bought the apps, and downloaded them on my iMac. Do I have to purchase them again if I want them on my Macbook Pro?

CylonGlitch
Apr 17, 2013, 11:39 PM
I've already bought the apps, and downloaded them on my iMac. Do I have to purchase them again if I want them on my Macbook Pro?

Nope, copy the installer to the other computer and use the same key.

photographypro
Apr 18, 2013, 03:20 AM
I bought the MacHeist 4 bundle several months ago, playing the games so I got a discount (there's no game on this bundle, but if you buy this you'll hear about the larger bundle).

Like the other bundle, these are lesser known programs, that I believe the authors include to get some exposure. Not all are stellar, but at least 4 of the programs are in the Mac App Store, and you can read their reviews and see that they really do sell for that price. Normally the bundle is worth it for just one or two of the programs.

With the MacHeist 4 bundle, I actually got the program Netshade for FREE just for playing a game, which sells for $29.95. Most people might not find that program useful, but living in Italy, I can watch Hulu and Netflix, which normally are blocked to people outside of the US. This program alone was worth the bundle, even though it was free. I also got a 15 months of Evernote Premium, Firetask, Printopia, DiskTools Pro, and Scrivner, to name just some of the programs.

Jessica Lares
Apr 18, 2013, 06:13 AM
Little Inferno just got unlocked! :D

kissmo
Apr 18, 2013, 06:21 AM
Little Inferno just got unlocked! :D

I am more looking forward to see Path Finder unlocked.
Is the game OK? Should I bother? :)

Jessica Lares
Apr 18, 2013, 06:43 AM
I am more looking forward to see Path Finder unlocked.
Is the game OK? Should I bother? :)

It is by the same guys who did World of Goo. I would honestly check it out just for that. It is also rated T for drug reference and crude humor, so it must be good. :rolleyes: But no honestly, their design style is awesome. :D

kissmo
Apr 18, 2013, 08:19 AM
It is by the same guys who did World of Goo. I would honestly check it out just for that. It is also rated T for drug reference and crude humor, so it must be good. :rolleyes: But no honestly, their design style is awesome. :D

Great!
Will download it for sure then :)

Abazigal
Apr 18, 2013, 08:39 AM
Reading about some of these apps makes me wonder who in their right minds would buy them at the outrageous prices charged in the app store?

Take clarify for instance. In essence, it is a screenshot tool with some annotation functions. I can already do similar things (albeit more crudely) with existing apps like jing, skitch, and even OSX's inbuilt preview feature.:confused:

justperry
Apr 18, 2013, 08:57 AM
Purchased!!

Same here. I almost bought CleanMyMac 2 yesterday but held off until it went on sale somewhere so this is great news for me and an instant buy.

No not him, me, to the above posters, don't use CleanMyMac-MacKeeper or CCleaner, if you really need it when things are not well use Onyx, it is free and much better and safer than those.
Plenty of problems with all of them, just yesterday another one, many times people have problems and when asked they use either of them.
See below.

Alo, don't use CleanMyMac 2. At least for now. I actually updated the other day (it was a free upgrade if you got it in the last few months I think?), and before I clicked the okay for it to cleanup, I noticed it was about to delete my entire Documents folder! :eek:

GGJstudios
Apr 18, 2013, 11:34 AM
I've long been interested in CleanMyMac,
I would not recommend CleanMyMac or its variants, based on the number of complaints (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14132129&postcount=37) that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=709930). Here's (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1501557) a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx).

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Five Mac maintenance myths (http://www.macworld.com/article/133684/2008/06/maintenance_intro.html)

varxx
Apr 18, 2013, 01:04 PM
What a horrible website! 5.5Mb of ugly graphics and usability fail. Yuck.

Just closed the tab and didn't look any further.
Have you never bought something very nice from a shop that doesn't look so great?

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 18, 2013, 04:29 PM
Little Inferno is from the makers of World of Goo (on my list of the best 10 games I've ever played) and was just unlocked... So I'm thinking I'll probably buy this :)

dyn
Apr 18, 2013, 05:26 PM
I would not recommend CleanMyMac or its variants, based on the number of complaints (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14132129&postcount=37) that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=709930). Here's (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1501557) a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx).

Even those free tools clean up too much. You need to know what it is they are doing and why you'd want it or not. Onyx also cleans too much, especially if you use the "clean obsolete items" option. Only use these tools when you are having problems and only let them run the built in scripts that OS X uses to keep the system clean and fresh combined with cleaning caches (that usually fixes numerous vague problems).

The reason why the above mentioned tools messed up an entire system is not the apps fault, it's the users fault. The tools are simply way too powerful for the average user to use. These are tools for the advanced. If you have no idea what it does, what the options in the app mean then simply stay away from it. Without proper knowledge it is highly likely you'll mess up your system (usually a reinstall or a restore from backup resolves it so it isn't the end of the world nor your Mac).

Anyway, this is one of the very few bundles from MacHeist I actually find somewhat useful. However, MacHeist always seems to have a catch regarding the licenses. Usually they are outdated versions or they will be in the very near future (aka there is an upcoming release) and you get a license that is not upgradable to the newer version. I wonder if that has changed yet. Anyone?

Kashsystems
Apr 18, 2013, 08:53 PM
Anyway, this is one of the very few bundles from MacHeist I actually find somewhat useful. However, MacHeist always seems to have a catch regarding the licenses. Usually they are outdated versions or they will be in the very near future (aka there is an upcoming release) and you get a license that is not upgradable to the newer version. I wonder if that has changed yet. Anyone?

Last Macheist bundle I bought had Scrivener, Tuneup for Itunes, and 15 months of Evernote Premium, not counting 20 other apps and games I am not naming at the moment.

Zero problems so far updates on any of them.

Only thing I am aware of is that unlike sites like Stacksocial, Macheist states they do not keep your serials on hand forever. So I made a pdf copy and have it upload to both my dropbox and skydrive for backup.

Jessica Lares
Apr 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
HOLY **** AirServer was just revealed!!!!!!!!!

sujithgokul
Apr 22, 2013, 03:42 AM
HOLY **** AirServer was just revealed!!!!!!!!!

Just tried out AirServer. It is working perfectly in my MBP Retina. All in all great bundle. I like Fantastical, Clean my mac and Pathfinder.

Jessica Lares
Apr 22, 2013, 04:42 AM
Just tried out AirServer. It is working perfectly in my MBP Retina. All in all great bundle. I like Fantastical, Clean my mac and Pathfinder.

Working great here too. Path Finder should be unlocked in the next hour.

EDIT: Path Finder now unlocked! :D

blanka
Apr 22, 2013, 05:13 AM
Is it useful on Snow Leopard? Most of these little developments are 10.8 only where the major big studios still deliver for 10.6

Jessica Lares
Apr 22, 2013, 06:11 AM
Is it useful on Snow Leopard? Most of these little developments are 10.8 only where the major big studios still deliver for 10.6

Path Finder works on SL. I checked for you and xScope, iStopMotion, and Totals are the only ones that don't work on Snow Leopard. But the serial for iStopMotion should work on the older version. Totals has been around for awhile, and you can probably get them to give you a download to the older version that works. All these developers are very good at trying to get their stuff working for everyone.

maflynn
Apr 22, 2013, 07:06 AM
Working great here too. Path Finder should be unlocked in the next hour.

EDIT: Path Finder now unlocked! :D

I'm surprised at how quickly they broached the 30k mark to unlock pathfinder but I'm happy. This is the primary reason why I took the plunge and bought bundle.

Jessica Lares
Apr 22, 2013, 07:53 AM
I'm surprised at how quickly they broached the 30k mark to unlock pathfinder but I'm happy. This is the primary reason why I took the plunge and bought bundle.

Oh yeah, I'm absolutely loving Path Finder!

grigoriso
Apr 22, 2013, 10:25 AM

blanka, the version of Path Finder that appears on the nanoBundle download page is the Lion version, which is NOT compatible with Snow Leopard, but the activation code DOES work with the Snow Leopard version of Path Finder 6, which you can find on Cocatech's homepage.

----------

There is one remaining unrevealed window on the MacHeist page; any guesses?

stchman
Apr 22, 2013, 02:45 PM
Can't wait to get home and try Path Finder, I've been really wanting a good file manager for OS X and Finder just does not fit the bill.

Negritude
Apr 24, 2013, 02:31 AM

No, no, and no. MacHeist has always provided full licenses for the paid bundles. Now, some of the free apps that are rewards for solving the puzzles, those are sometimes limited releases. Apples and oranges.

All bundles, everywhere, since the first bundle of any kind was ever thought of, have always been timed in such a way that, there are usually new versions of the apps coming out in the not-too-distant future. This is how all Mac software bundles on the entire planet earth work, not just the ones from MacHeist. And guess what? That's because the software developers themselves want it that way. It's a way to generate revenue with the older software before launching the new one. That's a general bundle issue, not specific to MacHeist.

rhett7660
Apr 24, 2013, 11:57 AM
Looks like Money has been added but not unlocked yet.

Jessica Lares
Apr 24, 2013, 12:01 PM
No, no, and no. MacHeist has always provided full licenses for the paid bundles. Now, some of the free apps that are rewards for solving the puzzles, those are sometimes limited releases. Apples and oranges.

All bundles, everywhere, since the first bundle of any kind was ever thought of, have always been timed in such a way that, there are usually new versions of the apps coming out in the not-too-distant future. This is how all Mac software bundles on the entire planet earth work, not just the ones from MacHeist. And guess what? That's because the software developers themselves want it that way. It's a way to generate revenue with the older software before launching the new one. That's a general bundle issue, not specific to MacHeist.

Courier was in the last bundle, and that one was frozen.

And that's somewhat true. There are some apps from the Leopard days where the serial still works on the latest version that you can get from the developer's website. But there are apps like Radium that don't.

dyn
Apr 24, 2013, 04:13 PM

You are completely misunderstanding my concern. It is not about having a full license or not, it is about the upgrade path and only the upgrade path. In the beginning you got license codes that gave you a full version but limited you in upgrades. In some cases you had no right to upgrade, in another case you only got a discount, another developer gave you a free upgrade. There have also been license codes that were the same for all MacHeist users. This caused a lot of problems in the past. I've actually ran into the upgrading issue with several software bundles, not only MacHeist (so you are wrong about the limitations of the licenses, there were limitations in the past!). In case of MacHeist those strange licenses made me stop buying anything from them. Since this was a few years back I asked to see if that situation changed and it has.

I've not bought this bundle after testing the software and comparing it to what I'm using on my Macs, how I use it, etc. because I couldn't find much benefits. I thought Path Finder would be very useful but I like Forklift, Finder and the commandline much better (it's what I'm using already). Maybe next time :)

maflynn
Apr 24, 2013, 04:46 PM
You are completely misunderstanding my concern. It is not about having a full license or not, it is about the upgrade path and only the upgrade path. In the beginning you got license codes that gave you a full version but limited you in upgrades.
I've never seen that with any macheist bundle. Perhaps you should reach out to the developers who offer the apps and ask if there's a distinction.

Negritude
Apr 26, 2013, 12:25 AM
Courier was in the last bundle, and that one was frozen.

And that's somewhat true. There are some apps from the Leopard days where the serial still works on the latest version that you can get from the developer's website. But there are apps like Radium that don't.

Courier is not frozen. The developer is supposed to have provided an updated download link, but it hasn't been reflected on the receipts yet.

There is no such thing as free lifetime updates for any app or bundle. You're only guaranteed minor revision updates, say from 1.1 to 1.2, but major upgrades, say from 2.5 to 3.0, you have to pay for. This is how all software works. Radium went from 2.8.4 to version 3.0, so no, you're not supposed to get free updates, and you shouldn't have expected that. Just because you might get lucky with one app, doesn't mean that is the rule.

itickings
Apr 26, 2013, 03:31 AM
I've never seen that with any macheist bundle. Perhaps you should reach out to the developers who offer the apps and ask if there's a distinction.

For what it's worth, I've seen several similar claims around the web regarding MH1 and special promotional licenses of some sort that couldn't be upgraded like normal licenses for the same piece of software could.

This was before my time, and even if those claims are true the licenses are not limited like that anymore.

Jessica Lares
Apr 26, 2013, 05:49 AM
Courier is not frozen. The developer is supposed to have provided an updated download link, but it hasn't been reflected on the receipts yet.

There is no such thing as free lifetime updates for any app or bundle. You're only guaranteed minor revision updates, say from 1.1 to 1.2, but major upgrades, say from 2.5 to 3.0, you have to pay for. This is how all software works. Radium went from 2.8.4 to version 3.0, so no, you're not supposed to get free updates, and you shouldn't have expected that. Just because you might get lucky with one app, doesn't mean that is the rule.

I KNOW that. :rolleyes:

Jessica Lares
Apr 26, 2013, 01:51 PM
Money is now unlocked! :D

maflynn
Apr 26, 2013, 02:12 PM
Money is now unlocked! :D

Already downloaded it and documented the license #.

I wonder how this measures up against iBank. I'll need to spend some time playing with it.

Definitely a nice bonus to be sure.