PDA

View Full Version : Number of PPC users?

RedCroissant
Apr 17, 2013, 02:47 PM
Does anyone know of a site or study that shows the number of current PPC Mac users? I know that I have two in my home, but I think it would just be interesting to find out just how many people are still using what is considered "outdated" technology on a daily basis.

666sheep
Apr 17, 2013, 03:01 PM
Most recent data I know about is in Adium stats: http://www.adium.im/sparkle/?year=2013&week=*&graph=bar
But it obviously counts only Adium users, so it's not a complete number.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 17, 2013, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know of a site or study that shows the number of current PPC Mac users? I know that I have two in my home, but I think it would just be interesting to find out just how many people are still using what is considered "outdated" technology on a daily basis.

Just mail congress and have them put it in their next census ;)

PowerPCMacMan
Apr 17, 2013, 09:37 PM
3,525,354 - source... People's Council on Census Affairs, SP USA.

MisterKeeks
Apr 18, 2013, 04:39 PM

You are joking.

rjcalifornia
Apr 18, 2013, 06:37 PM

This is why we can't have nice things...

Probably we are falling into the 'Hipster' category with our PowerPC macs...

PowerPCMacMan
Apr 18, 2013, 10:17 PM
Maybe, maybe not... Its really difficult to document an accurate number of active PowerPC users today.. but it might be close to that or even lower.

I don't know for sure.. just wanted to go along with the gag :)

You are joking.

----------

Eh... wouldn't call it "Hipster".. just that we are a small minority.. Who would think back in 2005-2006 when Apple made the switch 90 percent were mostly PowerPC users.. now, maybe less than 2 percent are active users of PPC macs.

In order for our community to grow strong, we need to have more enthusiasm for the platform if its to survive.

This is why we can't have nice things...

Probably we are falling into the 'Hipster' category with our PowerPC macs...

Lil Chillbil
Apr 18, 2013, 11:39 PM
Maybe, maybe not... Its really difficult to document an accurate number of active PowerPC users today.. but it might be close to that or even lower.

I don't know for sure.. just wanted to go along with the gag :)

----------

Eh... wouldn't call it "Hipster".. just that we are a small minority.. Who would think back in 2005-2006 when Apple made the switch 90 percent were mostly PowerPC users.. now, maybe less than 2 percent are active users of PPC macs.

In order for our community to grow strong, we need to have more enthusiasm for the platform if its to survive.

actually its less than .001% of the worlds population that is actively using powerpc macs

PowerPCMacMan
Apr 18, 2013, 11:47 PM
Thats what I thought...

actually its less than .001% of the worlds population that is actively using powerpc macs

rjcalifornia
Apr 18, 2013, 11:49 PM
that's why I said we were falling into a 'hipster' category, you know because, errrr, using an intel mac it is just too 'mainstream' lol

Lil Chillbil
Apr 19, 2013, 12:00 AM
that's why I said we were falling into a 'hipster' category, you know because, errrr, using an intel mac it is just too 'mainstream' lol

using a mac is hipster but using a PowerPC mac is old school...

r6mile
Apr 19, 2013, 07:50 AM
As soon as I fix up my 12" Powerbook G4 1.33, I'll take it onto campus and observe the looks I get.

rjcalifornia
Apr 19, 2013, 10:35 AM
As soon as I fix up my 12" Powerbook G4 1.33, I'll take it onto campus and observe the looks I get.

I can't go to a coffee shop or other place to show my ibook G4... Thieves will take it from me :/

Why do these old ibooks look so hot and awesome? ;)

cocacolakid
Apr 19, 2013, 05:33 PM
using a mac is hipster but using a PowerPC mac is old school...

As long as it's not hipster doofus :D

skateny
Apr 19, 2013, 05:33 PM
I can't go to a coffee shop or other place to show my ibook G4... Thieves will take it from me :/

Why do these old ibooks look so hot and awesome? ;)

I don't bring my iBook anywhere where there are roaming gangs of thieves searching for old Macs.

But most times I'm out, people will either comment on or ask about my "new Apple laptop." Telling people it's more than eight years old typically leaves them speechless.

maxosx
Apr 19, 2013, 05:44 PM
Just mail congress and have them put it in their next census ;)
OMG NO!!!

If that happened then POTUS would attack and create an Anti PPC movement :rolleyes:

Jessica Lares
Apr 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
As of April, 10% of OS X users are still on Tiger or Leopard.

http://chitika.com/os-x-version-distribution

1136 PowerPC installs of the latest version of Adium:

http://www.adium.im/sparkle/

MisterKeeks
Apr 19, 2013, 07:17 PM

Or all of the PowerPC users have super-aggressive ad-blocking mechanisms, thus the lower number of impressions from 10.4/10.5.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 19, 2013, 07:19 PM

most of the tiger or leopard installs are intel based because thats what they shipped with

MisterKeeks
Apr 19, 2013, 07:24 PM
most of the tiger or leopard installs are intel based because thats what they shipped with

Source? I believe that there might be many Intel users on 10.4/5, but I believe that almost all PowerPC users are also on 10.4/5, so we have a large percentage of those numbers.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 19, 2013, 07:47 PM
Source? I believe that there might be many Intel users on 10.4/5, but I believe that almost all PowerPC users are also on 10.4/5, so we have a large percentage of those numbers.

sorce, the number of manufactured intel macs made during tiger and leopard as apposed to the number of powerpc macs made during jaguar and panther, then the number of intel macs still functional vs. the number of powerpc macs still functional

MisterKeeks
Apr 19, 2013, 07:51 PM
sorce, the number of manufactured intel macs made during tiger and leopard as apposed to the number of powerpc macs made during jaguar and panther, then the number of intel macs still functional vs. the number of powerpc macs still functional

What are these numbers you speak of?

And even so, there would be no reliable way to judge how many PowerPC users upgraded to Leo and how many Intel users upgraded.

PowerPCMacMan
Apr 19, 2013, 08:22 PM
There is really no metric to use in determining the EXACT number of PPC users only... While Adium goes by who signs into AOL IM through their app, it does not answer the question about approximately how many true PPC users are out there.

I think Jessica mentioned 10 percent which I would say is a very worthy guess, but also you have to combine those who still use a hybrid of Intel and PPC.. If that metric is included, then the percentage of those using PowerPC Macs is more than 10 percent..

Hybrids make up a lot more.. where as pure PPC is decreasing each day.. I would have to say less than 10 percent only use PPC as their everyday, primary machine..

Lil Chillbil
Apr 19, 2013, 10:22 PM
what are these numbers you speak of?

And even so, there would be no reliable way to judge how many powerpc users upgraded to leo and how many intel users upgraded.

3 24 20 12 19 17 17 22 19 23 19 4 0 7 6 7 19 10 12 16 17 6 14 4 3 17 24 20 13 24 8 16 17 1 24 9 21 15 0 5 15 4 4 23 6 11 25 14 4 20 4 9 14 18 12 8 7 21 6 4 21 7 21 4 2 14 3 14 7 18 13 6 22 16 6 1 21 21 15 3 5 24 9 11 2 10 5 21 4 20 11 19 12 5 12 13 12 5 17 19 3 14 21 12 15 17 7 7 2 2 21 1 10 22 13 5

PowerPCMacMan
Apr 19, 2013, 11:09 PM
Giberish???

rjcalifornia
Apr 20, 2013, 11:26 AM
10% seems like sort of accurate for PowerPC.

It is very hard to get an exact number, keep in mind that some ISP hide the user's pc type

philz4life
Apr 20, 2013, 12:13 PM

10% is a pretty big number considering all the Mac users in the world. Some developers still should see a bit of a market for applications in the Tiger/Leopard world

Goftrey
Apr 20, 2013, 12:18 PM
10% seems like sort of accurate for PowerPC.

I'd hazard a guess at saying that maybe 6/7% of that 10% still on Tiger/Leopard are on Intel machines.

My guess is in the ball park of around 2/3%.

Jessica Lares
Apr 20, 2013, 12:28 PM
I would rather think that it's because of the pro-market that relies heavily on older software and a custom setup that a newer OS would break.

MacRobert10
Apr 21, 2013, 04:23 AM
Personally, I have a pet peeve about throwing out perfectly good working hardware. I still use several PPC systems. They're not really relegated to anything important, and they certainly can't be used for something like watching Hi Def video on the web (mine are all single core) but you can always find a use for them.

For example, I have an old Titanium PB that I use in the morning when I wake up to do a quick e-mail check and check the weather. It's perfect for that.

I have a 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook that's connected to a large FireWire hard drive and a printer. I use it as a base station for wireless master backups and a print server. It works great. You don't need a "killer" machine to do any of these sorts of tasks, and why put strain on newer systems if you can offload some of that work to a system that a lot of other people see as a throw away?

I can probably pick up an 867MHz 12" PB for about $50, and I'm considering connecting a USB camera to it and feeding the camera to the exterior of my main doorway. We get a lot of really obnoxious salesmen showing up at the door, and this would give me the opportunity to run a program on the unit and when someone rings the doorbell, just pop open the lid and see who it is. If it's a neighbor, someone I'm expecting, a delivery person...in other words, those that are welcome, I can open the door. If it's yet another obnoxious salesman trying, once again, to sell me new "thermal" windows or a new roof, even though I already have both, I can miraculously manage to not be home at that time! You don't need a MacBook Pro with a Retina display to sit their and do essentially dumb work. :cool:

Interestingly, none of this sort of use would ever show up in web site statistics. You can always find some use for outdated hardware if you're creative.

AnonMac50
Apr 21, 2013, 07:41 AM
I don't know about others but I use a G4 iBook (first gen upgraded RAM and added Wifi only) quite a lot.

RedCroissant
Apr 21, 2013, 05:06 PM
I don't know about others but I use a G4 iBook (first gen upgraded RAM and added Wifi only) quite a lot.

I'm there with you although my iBook is the last gen model. quite a lot is a great description but really it's my only machine right now.

SkyBell
Apr 22, 2013, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't imagine there's too many of us die-hard users left out there. Most people tend to upgrade at least every 4 or 5 years, and that's out of range for PPC Macs.

My eMac is my only (often used) Mac, and it does most of what I ask it to do just fine. Though I must admit, my much newer netbook is getting more and more use these days due to ever-decreasing PPC compatibility, combined with it just being faster at everything in general. :(

Anonymous Freak
Apr 22, 2013, 05:40 PM
Here you go:
Wikipedia Stats (http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm).

Mac PowerPC 179 M 0.08%

Obviously, there are probably plenty of PowerPCs being used offline (I know of three outside my own house that have no internet access,) but I'm sure the number is very low. (I've seen other sites claim as high as 2% - but even that seems high to me, since all of OS X is only at 10-15% at the high end, and OS X *REALLY* took off only after the move to Intel, which is now 7 years ago.)

Personally, I also like to skew the stats by regularly visiting websites from my PowerPC running OS 9. :D

Dane D.
Apr 24, 2013, 07:42 PM
I'm typing this on my G3 in sig and still use a 867 dual MDD at work for old InDesign CS3 files and as a backup archive, I removed the optical drive to free up two bays for HDs. It is also my space heater, they run warm, about 130 degrees F. I have a old PowerPC 8600/200 that I still use to communicate with a Fiery RIP Station to drive an old EPSON 24-inch wide printer. I have a G4/450 I use for scanning and sending files to the RIP Station.

At home, my rig is on 24/7 since 2008 and has three internal HDs and 2 external HDs. It is energy-efficient, I just turn-off the monitor before I go to work. The G3 is limiting in what I can do, but it is paid for and works (either OS9 or OS 10.x.)

n8mac
Apr 27, 2013, 04:21 PM
Quick check of Ebay (worldwide)

Total apple laptops = 6338
PPC apple laptops = 823
Total apple desktops = 2958
PPC apple desktops = 575

Total apple comps = 9,296
Total PPC comps = 1,398
15% PPC

Of course you would bring down the PPC number as there is going to be more selling older hardware vs the new stuff. Its still more than I thought it would be.