Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hi guys, first thread I've started on here, but I could use some perspective/advice, as I don't seem to be getting anywhere on my own.

I live in Australia, currently own an S3, but my contract expires next week, so I have the opportunity to upgrade my handset for free.

Up until about 3 days ago, I was set on the Galaxy S4. I had the S2 for a year, and the S3 is coming up to a year, and so I was happy to stick with the S4.

But then the HTC One reared its head.

Here's my dilemma - both phones have something that I like, but at the cost of something that I don't.

HTC One
Pros
- Nice aluminium build
- One of, if not best phone display ever (according to reviews)
- No physical buttons
- Front speakers with great sound

Cons
- Aluminium build (risk of scratching/denting if dropped/bumped)
- No removable battery (+ HTC's reputation for poor battery life)
- No SD card expansion
- More difficult to root
- Not convinced Ultrapixel camera is all its cracked up to be
- Odd button configuration (home button on the right, on/off switch on top)

Galaxy S4
Pros
- Great build quality (despite it being made of polycarbonate, I felt that the S3 feels great and sturdy in the hand, while remaining light - so I'm assuming the S4 will be the same)
- 5" Display with a smaller form factor than S3
- Removable battery
- SD card expansion
- Easy to hack/root
- Some really cool camera features
- AMOLED display (I like being able to customise how saturated my display is, and I like the vibrant colours of AMOLEDs)

Cons
- Probably doesn't feel as nice as the One's aluminium
- In Australia, we only get the Snapdragon Quad-Core (which may not be an issue, but I would have preferred to have the Exynos CPU)
- Physical home button
- PenTile display (all reviews say that the weird dotty pattern present on the S3 is gone due to the new pixel arrangement, but I won't be convinced until I see it myself)

As you can see, there are far less cons on the S4 side, and truth betold I'm still leaning that way, but I'm wondering if there's anything I've missed in my considerations that you guys might shed some light on?

I still have about 2-3 weeks before both phones are available here, but I'd like to have a decision made by then.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Thought of the Xperia Z? Shouldn't be hard to get it outright here for under $600 now.

I have given it some brief thought. A friend of mine works at JB Hi-Fi in phones and she's currently using the Z, and she changes phones a LOT.

I like almost everything about the Xperia Z, except for that goddam ugly huge power button. I dislike it so much it's almost enough to put me off the whole phone.

I'd probably almost have one already if not for that.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I have given it some brief thought. A friend of mine works at JB Hi-Fi in phones and she's currently using the Z, and she changes phones a LOT.

I like almost everything about the Xperia Z, except for that goddam ugly huge power button. I dislike it so much it's almost enough to put me off the whole phone.

I'd probably almost have one already if not for that.

Fair enough :) Funny because many reviewers are saying it was one of the nice features of the phone.

Personally, I'm indifferent on the power button on mine.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Since you have the S3, the S4 will be much familiar territory.

I'm also coming from the S3 and will be choosing the S4.

Some points you missed.

The S4 is more expensive at the moment.

The One will be nearly impossible to repair on your own or through some private repair guy at a local shop/craigslist.

The S4 will come with 4.2.2 while the One comes with 4.1.2. HTC has a terrible track record with updates, Samsung did a 360 and is now one of the fastest to update. I wouldn't expect to even see the One with Key Lime Pie. The S4 has a good chance of seeing Key Lime.

The One has FM radio.

The S4 has wireless charging support.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Since you have the S3, the S4 will be much familiar territory.

I'm also coming from the S3 and will be choosing the S4.

Some points you missed.

The S4 is more expensive at the moment.

The One will be nearly impossible to repair on your own or through some private repair guy at a local shop/craigslist.

The S4 will come with 4.2.2 while the One comes with 4.1.2. HTC has a terrible track record with updates, Samsung did a 360 and is now one of the fastest to update. I wouldn't expect to even see the One with Key Lime Pie. The S4 has a good chance of seeing Key Lime.

The One has FM radio.

The S4 has wireless charging support.

Some good points!

Expense isn't an issue for me, as I'll be getting it free from my carrier.
The FM radio isn't a big deal for me, I don't actually think I've ever used the one that's in my S3 - I usually just use TuneIn Radio.

The updates are a good argument as well. HTC are notoriously bad for that.

I think I'm leaning very heavily towards the S4 - I think I just want to wait and see what the verdict is on the Snapdragon model v Exynos model.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This is a decision only you can make OP. I'd suggest just hitting one of the carriers stores when they both are available and try them out.

There are more than enough threads here doing comparisons. Just look at the S4 / HTC poll thread, followed by the S4 & HTC One threads.

There really isn't any point regurgitating the content from those exhaustive threads into a new.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1557080/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1551166/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1541786/

But just to address two concerns

- No removable battery (+ HTC's reputation for poor battery life)

Battery life on the one is great. On light-medium use I got 1day 13hrs 58mins with 26% battery still left.

On a heavy use age day I got a full 15 hours with lots of photos taken (over 100 so lots of screen on time), Zoe's made and shared, 3 emails checking, Bluetooth audio for couple of hours, 60+ minutes of calls, texts, Facebook Instagram and Twiiter updates and sharing, reading the news, update a couple if apps from PlayStore, reply to emails etc... And I still had well over 30% left on my battery when I went to bed.

Secondly
- more difficult to root

No. Its very easy. There is a one button, application for rooting software over on XDA which will guide you through doing everything from rooting, installing clockwork mod, and flashing a new rom.

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Some good points!

Expense isn't an issue for me, as I'll be getting it free from my carrier.
The FM radio isn't a big deal for me, I don't actually think I've ever used the one that's in my S3 - I usually just use TuneIn Radio.

The updates are a good argument as well. HTC are notoriously bad for that.

I think I'm leaning very heavily towards the S4 - I think I just want to wait and see what the verdict is on the Snapdragon model v Exynos model.

If you really want the Exynos processor you can get the international version I think it is the I9500. Now you would not be able to get it on contract, so it would be pretty expensive. Also it want have LTE which am not sure if you have LTE where you are. It would also get updates faster because it would not have to go through carrier approval on top of Samsung approval. Just some things to think about.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Having bought and sold the HTC One, I'd definitely say the S4 would be the way to go.

HTC nearly nailed it with the One but there are a few issues that really turned me off, namely:

- Camera
- Power/Wake Button at the top (ugh!)
- Syncing with my MBP

Otherwise I absolutely loved it, but I'd reckon the S4 would be a smarter move all round. Just my thoughts, though.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys.

It's good to hear that HTC have fixed the battery/root issues. I had the HTC One X for about 2 weeks, and the battery annoyed me to no end - and then when I tried to root it to try and use a more battery friendly ROM, I hit brick walls in the vein of locked bootloaders.

Even with being informed of those changes though, I'm not sure the One is doing enough to draw me away from the great software experience that Samsung provides with the Galaxy S line. I'm always excited to be drawn away from what I'm currently using by something better, but I can't see the One doing it - although it did come close.

A lot people I've asked about this come back with 'why would you want a Samsung phone? It's made of cheap plastic'.
I actually find that the plastic makes the build quality seem more solid. I've dropped my S3 twice in the near-year that I've had it, and both times the back panel has popped off, but the phone itself remains undamaged whatsoever.

I've seen enough people with iPhone 5's and HTC One X's that don't do so well when dropped, due to the external casing not having anywhere to direct the shock absorption.

Anyway, I'm more or less convinced for the S4 now - The only thing that might change that is if I go into a store, hold the One and it just blows my mind.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
You're gonna end up putting the phone in a case so the premium aluminum case doesn't really matter. Think about the features and functions that are more important to you and go that route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.