PDA

View Full Version : So what smartphone are you waiting on?

ChrisTX
Apr 18, 2013, 07:55 AM
So now that the HTC One, and Samsung Galaxy S4 are being released to the public. Which smartphone are you waiting for? Assuming you're not getting either of those two, which one is it? Motorola X Phone, Note 3, Nexus 5, or something else all together? Me personally waiting on the Note 3. My S3 is in great condition, and will hold out until the Note 3 is released. The S4 is too much of an "S" upgrade for me to take the plunge.

mattopotamus
Apr 18, 2013, 07:57 AM
So now that the HTC One, and Samsung Galaxy S4 are being released to the public. Which smartphone are you waiting for? Assuming you're not getting either of those two, which one is it? Motorola X Phone, Note 3, Nexus 5, or something else all together? Me personally waiting on the Note 3. My S3 is in great condition, and will hold out until the Note 3 is released. The S4 is too much of an "S" upgrade for me to take the plunge.

all of the phones you mentioned with the addition of the 5S. Not for the phone itself, but to see what IOS 7 brings.

maflynn
Apr 18, 2013, 07:59 AM
I'm waiting less for a phone and more for my subsidy to kick in, that is I bought a iPhone 5 last year, so I have a year to go before I'm willing to buy a new phone.

I like the HTC 1, and the Note II but not enough to buy them at full price. I may opt for an iPhone 6 in 2014 but since the 5S is not even out yet I'm hesitant to mention that tidbit since the specs of the 5S are not released, never mind the 6

MacRumorUser
Apr 18, 2013, 08:07 AM
Can you edit the poll to allow multiple choices ? ;)

I wait to see what the Note 3, Motorola X and the iPhone 5S brings to the table, and if any of them will make me want to try something different again.

ChrisTX
Apr 18, 2013, 08:10 AM
Can you edit the poll to allow multiple choices ? ;)

I wait to see what the Note 3, Motorola X and the iPhone 5S brings to the table, and if any of them will make me want to try something different again.

Haha, wish I could. Agreed, there are a lot of really great choices coming soon. The S4, and HTC One look great, but I'm going to sit this round out until some other phones are released, and then make my choice for 2013.

stevensr123
Apr 18, 2013, 08:52 AM
Htc one :( just a few more painful days to go until it gets delivered.

AppleDApp
Apr 18, 2013, 09:04 AM
isn't the nexus 5 and the x phone the same thing? Meaning the next android vanilla phone?

Why would Google partner with an OEM to make a phone when they have bought a Hardware company to do that.

rockitdog
Apr 18, 2013, 09:20 AM
I'm really liking what I'm seeing from the HTC One so far, that said, I'm probably going to pick it up next week. I like the Galaxy S4 too but I think it's just bigger than I care for. I love the software value ads that the Galaxy comes with more so than any other company, just not as big of a fan of the design and plastic body.

strausd
Apr 18, 2013, 10:11 AM
X Phone or Nexus 5 for me. Don't think I'll ever want to go to a non Google phone.

----------

isn't the nexus 5 and the x phone the same thing? Meaning the next android vanilla phone?

Why would Google partner with an OEM to make a phone when they have bought a Hardware company to do that.

Nexus 5 will be a developers phone, X Phone will be a carrier phone much like the GS4, HTC One, and iPhone.

AppleDApp
Apr 18, 2013, 10:12 AM
X Phone or Nexus 5 for me. Don't think I'll ever want to go to a non Google phone.

----------

Nexus 5 will be a developers phone, X Phone will be a carrier phone much like the GS4, HTC One, and iPhone.

Damn I liked the look of the x phone

JaySoul
Apr 18, 2013, 10:32 AM
After having bought and sold an HTC One, I was going to plump straight for an S4 - but the price has really put me off.

I'd wait for a second hand S4 on eBay, but by that time the X Phone and Note 3 will start to arrive.

To be honest, if Apple released a bigger screen and improved iOS 7, I'd be perfectly happy.

Otherwise I'm going to buy a Note 2 off eBay for about 300. That would do me for a year, I'm sure.

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 10:43 AM
I'm not waiting for anyone per se, but I'm most excited about the Moto X Phone.

Second place would be the Nexus, of course. I plan to one day return to a Nexus device. Just don't want to run into LG again.

lulz @ iPhone 5S. So uninterested. iOS 7, however, could be interesting.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 10:59 AM
I am not waiting for anything other than the Google I/O in may. I have the nexus 4 and can't wait to see what KLP brings to the table. I also have the note 2, so I am pretty much set for a while. I do want to see what the xphone is all about, but I have a feeling that it is just going to be another Version exclusive Droid phone. No thanks if that is the case. Other than me using my note 2 skinned phones do nothing for me.

sentinelsx
Apr 18, 2013, 12:31 PM
Nexus 5, just to see how Google will disappoint this time when it comes to hardware.

I am 50/50 between GS4 and One so far. ZL's screen made it quit the poll for me (yes i have seen it in person) and moto phones will probably show up in early fall which is too far to get my android fix.

Most probably i will get the GS4, as i think the snapdragon 600 GS4 will get AOKP pretty fast. Stock android + great hardware = win!. If the One gets a way to get stable AOKP though, i might just get that.

appletoandroid
Apr 18, 2013, 01:05 PM
Nexus 5, just to see how Google will disappoint this time when it comes to hardware.

I am 50/50 between GS4 and One so far. ZL's screen made it quit the poll for me (yes i have seen it in person) and moto phones will probably show up in early fall which is too far to get my android fix.

Most probably i will get the GS4, as i think the snapdragon 600 GS4 will get AOKP pretty fast. Stock android + great hardware = win!. If the One gets a way to get stable AOKP though, i might just get that.

Skip the One. They pulled an LG and tried to copy Apple halfway. Aluminum back, plastic sides. Glass back, soft plastic sides. But hey, HTC obviously fooled a lot of people I'd say.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 01:25 PM

Wow your really have no idea what you are talking about do you? The nexus line of phones are not for people like you. You want the next big trick a OEM can throw in front of your face. The nexus phones are developer phones made for people that don't need things spoon feed to them. If you are looking for something where the OEM does all the work than look no further than Apple, and Samsung. Oh and HTC for that matter. If you need someone tell you how to take a picture, and how your phone should function then those phone makers are just for you.

What more can you ask for at $350 outright?

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 02:35 PM
Wow your really have no idea what you are talking about do you? The nexus line of phones are not for people like you. You want the next big trick a OEM can throw in front of your face. The nexus phones are developer phones made for people that don't need things spoon feed to them. If you are looking for something where the OEM does all the work than look no further than Apple, and Samsung. Oh and HTC for that matter. If you need someone tell you how to take a picture, and how your phone should function then those phone makers are just for you.

The value of the Nexus 4 is great, but it is a phone that leaves something to be desired in a few areas.

I personally don't mind paying a little extra for, say, more storage options. Why not offer a 32gb Nexus 4 for $399 or $420 or something?

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 02:40 PM
The value of the Nexus 4 is great, but it is a phone that leaves something to be desired in a few areas.

I personally don't mind paying a little extra for, say, more storage options. Why not offer a 32gb Nexus 4 for $399 or $420 or something?

Yea but you have to understand what the nexus program is for. It is not for the normal consumer that is looking for the latest technology in smartphone cameras. It is there for OEMs to see what the new android has to offer, and for developers to use. Also this one was made so they could sell it cheap. I know going into buying a nexus phone I want have the most premium phone on the market. I don't care what I care about is having the latest stock android.

I think people base the nexus line sometimes on what the other OEMs are making and assume it should be like them. It is not. The nexus program is a stepping stone for the OEM to make their phones, and for tech people like me that want stock android and a phone that works.

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 02:53 PM
Yea but you have to understand what the nexus program is for. It is not for the normal consumer that is looking for the latest technology in smartphone cameras. It is there for OEMs to see what the new android has to offer, and for developers to use. Also this one was made so they could sell it cheap. I know going into buying a nexus phone I want have the most premium phone on the market. I don't care what I care about is having the latest stock android.

I think people base the nexus line sometimes on what the other OEMs are making and assume it should be like them. It is not. The nexus program is a stepping stone for the OEM to make their phones, and for tech people like me that want stock android and a phone that works.

I hear ya. Believe me, I'm a big believer of the Nexus program.

It does seem, to me, that Google is trying to position the Nexus phones as consumer-friendly, though. I mean, a quick visit to the Play Store site for the Nexus 4 I think really highlights the point. There's not a lot of "developer talk." If anything, it looks more like an Apple-esque page.

I think the Nexus program has changed since the popularity of the Nexus 7. I think Google is trying to position it as a consumer-friendly device, carrier-free, affordable, which I think is great.

Just wish they'd give us more options. Google themselves have stated they will put a serious camera in the next Nexus, too.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 02:59 PM
I hear ya. Believe me, I'm a big believer of the Nexus program.

It does seem, to me, that Google is trying to position the Nexus phones as consumer-friendly, though. I mean, a quick visit to the Play Store site for the Nexus 4 I think really highlights the point. There's not a lot of "developer talk." If anything, it looks more like an Apple-esque page.

I think the Nexus program has changed since the popularity of the Nexus 7. I think Google is trying to position it as a consumer-friendly device, carrier-free, affordable.

Just wish they'd give us more options. Google themselves have stated they will put a serious camera in the next Nexus, too.

See I could careless about a great camera. I want something that I can take a quick shot of it I need to. People are always talking about how great the iPhone 5's camera is. I never really used it that much.

I guess Google has decided to go after your normal every day consumer, but they just don't get the nexus phones. Stock android is just that very stock. If you want it to be different you have to do that. Most people want it different right out of the box. Like the iPhone when you buy it that is what it will always look like. Sure you can put a picture as the wallpaper or move the icons around, but people don't want to do too much work to get that point. Stock android takes just a little bit more from the user to change it, and I think that is why I don't call it a consumer phone.

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
See I could careless about a great camera. I want something that I can take a quick shot of it I need to. People are always talking about how great the iPhone 5's camera is. I never really used it that much.

I guess Google has decided to go after your normal every day consumer, but they just don't get the nexus phones. Stock android is just that very stock. If you want it to be different you have to do that. Most people want it different right out of the box. Like the iPhone when you buy it that is what it will always look like. Sure you can put a picture as the wallpaper or move the icons around, but people don't want to do too much work to get that point. Stock android takes just a little bit more from the user to change it, and I think that is why I don't call it a consumer phone.

I am not discussing software. I'm a lover of stock Android.

This is about the Nexus program being positioned to appeal as much, if not more, to consumers than ever before; and about the shortcomings of the Nexus phone as such.

I have no doubt a 32GB Nexus 4 priced higher would have sold like hotcakes. As for the camera, again, even Google themselves are planning to commit to a better camera in future Nexus devices. This is a good thing for all interested.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 03:07 PM
I am not discussing software.

OK well then go buy yourself an iPhone with a great camera if you are so worry about it. I believe the camera has something to do with the software. Also Google is never going to add that much storage they are pushing for club storage, so if you don't like that then you might want to find another phone as well.

2ndchancephones
Apr 18, 2013, 03:07 PM
I'm trying to hold out for a bigger screen iPhone. I'm still sporting my 4S....if Apple doesn't get bigger I may try a GS 4.... Hate to even think of that.

maxosx
Apr 18, 2013, 03:14 PM
With all the great phones coming up I have a few Android models I'm planning on buying.

But actually waiting on? Like with great interest?

iPhone.... whatever it is. Whenever it is...

Whatever they decide to call it, I simply don't care.

As long as it has a display that's 4.8" or greater I will be extremely happy with Apple.

(forget the 5S or even the 6, if Apple doesn't increase display size as above)

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 03:26 PM
OK well then go buy yourself an iPhone with a great camera if you are so worry about it. I believe the camera has something to do with the software. Also Google is never going to add that much storage they are pushing for club storage, so if you don't like that then you might want to find another phone as well.

... okay. Not sure what's with the hostility.

Also not sure why you'd resist the idea of Nexus phones getting better. Bizarre behavior.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
... okay. Not sure what's with the hostility.

Also not sure why you'd resist the idea of Nexus phones getting better. Bizarre behavior.

Well everything I said in the post before your comment was only "I am not discussing software" kind of crazy. So I was pointing out the fact that the camera is part software so if you want to bring that up you are going to have to talk some what about software.

Yes the nexus phones can improve, but in the ways you want I am not so sure. Maybe they do have a better camera that would be great for the people who use their smartphones as their primary camera. I am not one of those people. Asking for more storage is not going to happen though. Look at the last 3 nexus devices. They are not adding storage. The Verizon gnex 32g does not count because it was a carrier phone that Verizon wanted.

It sounds like to me you want a carrier phone, but with that is ruins the whole nexus experience. After the Verizon gnex crap Google will never lower themselves to carrier demands again.

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 04:09 PM
Well everything I said in the post before your comment was only "I am not discussing software" kind of crazy. So I was pointing out the fact that the camera is part software so if you want to bring that up you are going to have to talk some what about software.

Yes the nexus phones can improve, but in the ways you want I am not so sure. Maybe they do have a better camera that would be great for the people who use their smartphones as their primary camera. I am not one of those people. Asking for more storage is not going to happen though. Look at the last 3 nexus devices. They are not adding storage. The Verizon gnex 32g does not count because it was a carrier phone that Verizon wanted.

It sounds like to me you want a carrier phone, but with that is ruins the whole nexus experience. After the Verizon gnex crap Google will never lower themselves to carrier demands again.

... All right. You keep bringing up straw mans and things that I'm not against. How does this have anything to do with carriers?

If Google can make a phone that offers 8GBs, 16GBs, and tablets that offer 16GBs, and 32GBs, they can make a Nexus smartphone that offers more than just 8GB or 16GB regardless of what happens with carriers or not. Why wouldn't they be able to? Why do you sound like you think this would be difficult to do? Likewise, why do you sound like you think adding a better camera would be difficult to do?

I don't get this. Again, even Google themselves have stated they are committed to putting a better camera in the next Nexus.

I purchased the HTC One developer's edition which is unlocked and carrier-free. Why does wanting more storage and/or better camera must mean I want a carrier phone? Makes no sense.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 04:17 PM
... All right. You keep bringing up straw mans and things that I'm not against. How does this have anything to do with carriers?

If Google can make a phone that offers 8GBs, 16GBs, and tablets that offer 16GBs, and 32GBs, they can make a Nexus smartphone that offers more than just 8GB or 16GB regardless of what happens with carriers or not. Why wouldn't they be able to? Why do you sound like you think this would be difficult to do? Likewise, why do you sound like you think adding a better camera would be difficult to do?

I don't get this. Again, even Google themselves have stated they are committed to putting a better camera in the next Nexus.

I purchased the HTC One developer's edition which is unlocked and carrier-free. Why does wanting more storage and/or better camera must mean I want a carrier phone? Makes no sense.

Google said they are going to a more cloud based storage system with their phones. They can keep the cost down and offer a great phone. I am saying the only reason you saw a 32g version was because of Verizon. That is why I am saying you would want a carrier based phone. The One is made to meet the carriers standards and then they offer a developers edition. You will not see nexus device above 16g just want happen.

The camera thing. Sure they may very well add a better camera. I am just saying most of the people I know including me could careless about the camera on the nexus 4. I use it when I have to, but I don't depend on it. It just just fine in that way.

I am just tired of people trashing the nexus devices because it does not have big storage, or the camera is bad. Most people do not buy the nexus 4 the camera, and most people have gone to cloud based storage. What the heck do you need 32g+ for on a phone now a days?

appletoandroid
Apr 18, 2013, 05:24 PM
Google said they are going to a more cloud based storage system with their phones. They can keep the cost down and offer a great phone. I am saying the only reason you saw a 32g version was because of Verizon. That is why I am saying you would want a carrier based phone. The One is made to meet the carriers standards and then they offer a developers edition. You will not see nexus device above 16g just want happen.

The camera thing. Sure they may very well add a better camera. I am just saying most of the people I know including me could careless about the camera on the nexus 4. I use it when I have to, but I don't depend on it. It just just fine in that way.

I am just tired of people trashing the nexus devices because it does not have big storage, or the camera is bad. Most people do not buy the nexus 4 the camera, and most people have gone to cloud based storage. What the heck do you need 32g+ for on a phone now a days?

Don't kid yourself about the moniker "developer's phone." Google is a business (and LG too for that matter). "Developer's phone" is a marketing strategy, just like "retina display." Google wants their product in peoples' hands, that's why they'll continue contracting out their Nexus phone. But if you think they are simply releasing a bare bones stock phone, you're wrong. It's worth while to Google to get Android and other Google services in as many peoples' hands as possible, and if it weren't worth the time and money they would drop it.

Also, the GS3 alone outnumbers the Nexus 4 by something at least 5:1. Developers can go out and develop on the Nexus all they want, but quite frankly if it doesn't work for a GS3, they are severely limiting their app exposure.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 06:03 PM
Don't kid yourself about the moniker "developer's phone." Google is a business (and LG too for that matter). "Developer's phone" is a marketing strategy, just like "retina display." Google wants their product in peoples' hands, that's why they'll continue contracting out their Nexus phone. But if you think they are simply releasing a bare bones stock phone, you're wrong. It's worth while to Google to get Android and other Google services in as many peoples' hands as possible, and if it weren't worth the time and money they would drop it.

Also, the GS3 alone outnumbers the Nexus 4 by something at least 5:1. Developers can go out and develop on the Nexus all they want, but quite frankly if it doesn't work for a GS3, they are severely limiting their app exposure.

I understand that, but have you seen that many ads with a nexus device in them? They have grown some, but very limited. Also there is only a handful of places that you can buy a nexus device.

Sure Google is in it to sell phones, but they also are not in it to sell to the masses. To do that they would have to agree to all the carrier standards, and they want nothing to do with that. I say this phone is for developers or hardcore android users because it is not as user friendly as the S3, HTC one or any other skinned android phone.

AppleDApp
Apr 18, 2013, 06:12 PM

I've been eyeing the nexus in which area does it lack?

tjl3
Apr 18, 2013, 07:14 PM

It's a solid phone. He's being very selective and picky (he has every right to as a buyer). However, the Nexus 4 isn't the best in any particular area and it is nothing special (without tweaks) in others - in my opinion.

Krimsonmyst
Apr 18, 2013, 07:22 PM
I'm really liking what I'm seeing from the HTC One so far, that said, I'm probably going to pick it up next week. I like the Galaxy S4 too but I think it's just bigger than I care for. I love the software value ads that the Galaxy comes with more so than any other company, just not as big of a fan of the design and plastic body.

Isn't the One physically larger than the S4? I thought that one of the biggest impressions it made was because it fit a 5" display into a very compact footprint.

chagla
Apr 18, 2013, 07:30 PM
Google pissed me off by removing sd card slot from the Nexus line. :mad:

I'm sure the next nexus will be a great phone but I will go with something that has memory card support, put a custom ROM in it and basically convert it to a Nexus. Same reason for avoiding HtC One.

It would be interesting to see what Motorola can offer.

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 07:32 PM
It's a solid phone. He's being very selective and picky (he has every right to as a buyer). However, the Nexus 4 isn't the best in any particular area and it is nothing special (without tweaks) in others - in my opinion.

I guess I'm picky, but I really enjoyed my Nexus 4 despite its shortcomings.

The deal breaker was the choppy call quality issues it kept having, which I believe were linked to a defective microphone. After going through three replacement devices with the same issue, I gave up and asked for a full refund. I got it right away. Each time I called Google, they could hear how bad the call quality was.

It isn't T-Mobile either as I've had them for years and never experienced this and do not experience it with my iPhone 5 currently. I'm not the only Nexus 4 owner that has experienced this either. There are stories online and I know people personally who experienced the same thing (on a different network, too).

I blame LG more than I blame Google. Which is why if the Nexus 2013 is from LG, it's a pass for me.

The details are in the Nexus 4 Owners thread.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 07:43 PM

It really lacks nothing in terms of not having something, but people like to always find things they don't like about phones. Yes the camera could be better, but for most people it really does not matter. Unless you are going to load the phone with apps and music then 16gb is plenty. Storage was his other big complaint. I got the 8gb and could not be happier.

I never looked at the nexus line the same way I do things like iPhones, Samsung's, and HTC's. They are made to be sold to the masses so while having a lot of features to impress people. They also put a camera on it to impress people. The nexus line is more worry about the software. Now that they have made it a budget phone which has sold more than any other nexus. They are going to have to worry about things like the camera. To me that stuff does not matter. I want the phone cause it has stock android. That is the selling point for me.

----------

Google pissed me off by removing sd card slot from the Nexus line. :mad:

I'm sure the next nexus will be a great phone but I will go with something that has memory card support, put a custom ROM in it and basically convert it to a Nexus. Same reason for avoiding HtC One.

It would be interesting to see what Motorola can offer.

What do you need more than 16gb for? I have all my music in the cloud on Google music, and there is no way I could fill up the phone with 16gb of apps.

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 07:49 PM
It really lacks nothing in terms of not having something, but people like to always find things they don't like about phones. Yes the camera could be better, but for most people it really does not matter. Unless you are going to load the phone with apps and music then 16gb is plenty. Storage was his other big complaint. I got the 8gb and could not be happier.

I never looked at the nexus line the same way I do things like iPhones, Samsung's, and HTC's. They are made to be sold to the masses so while having a lot of features to impress people. They also put a camera on it to impress people. The nexus line is more worry about the software. Now that they have made it a budget phone which has sold more than any other nexus. They are going to have to worry about things like the camera. To me that stuff does not matter. I want the phone cause it has stock android. That is the selling point for me.

And that's a great selling point. But why shouldn't the Nexus smartphone be even better? I don't get this sentiment. Even if you may not need more storage or a better camera, what would hurt to have these options and features? Do you think because you wouldn't necessarily benefit from it, others can't or won't?

I get the sense that you're very defensive about the Nexus 4. I don't think it's necessary. No one is bashing the Nexus 4. But it's not any stretch of the truth to say the camera can and should be better, or that it could offer more storage (why not? The Nexus 7 offers 32GB. Is the Nexus 7 not part of Google's grand plans for cloud-base systems?). Or that it maybe should not be made of glass -- tons of people complain that it shatters way too easily.

It's just a puzzling position you take. I mean, I get you love your Nexus 4, but I don't get this almost resistance-like attitude for the next one to be better.

----------

What do you need more than 16gb for? I have all my music in the cloud on Google music, and there is no way I could fill up the phone with 16gb of apps.

Again, the Nexus 7 offers 32 GB as does the Nexus 10. Why does Google bother? Are those devices not part of Google's cloud base plans?

AppleDApp
Apr 18, 2013, 08:00 PM
Which tweaks would you recommend?

The deal breaker was the choppy call quality issues it kept having, which I believe were linked to a defective microphone. After going through three replacement devices with the same issue, I gave up and asked for a full refund. I got it right away. Each time I called Google, they could hear how bad the call quality was.

It isn't T-Mobile either as I've had them for years and never experienced this and do not experience it with my iPhone 5 currently. I'm not the only Nexus 4 owner that has experienced this either. There are stories online and I know people personally who experienced the same thing (on a different network, too).

I blame LG more than I blame Google. Which is why if the Nexus 2013 is from LG, it's a pass for me.

I'll have to read up on the horror stories.

I don't use the camera much but when I need to use it I want my pictures to look good. By no means am I a photo snob.
I'd like to see 16gb and 32gb models offered not a big deal.

What really draws me to the nexus is the 300$ unlocked price. The stock android is appealing. I tried Sense UI when android 2.2 was out I liked it.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 08:07 PM
And that's a great selling point. But why shouldn't the Nexus smartphone be even better? I don't get this sentiment. Even if you may not need more storage or a better camera, what would hurt to have these options and features? Do you think because you wouldn't necessarily benefit from it, others can't or won't?

I get the sense that you're very defensive about the Nexus 4. I don't think it's necessary. No one is bashing the Nexus 4. But it's not any stretch of the truth to say the camera can and should be better, or that it could offer more storage (why not? The Nexus 7 offers 32GB. Is the Nexus 7 not part of Google's grand plans for cloud-base systems?). Or that it maybe should not be made of glass -- tons of people complain that it shatters way too easily.

It's just a puzzling position you take. I mean, I get you love your Nexus 4, but I don't get this almost resistance-like attitude for the next one to be better.

----------

Again, the Nexus 7 offers 32 GB as does the Nexus 10. Why does Google bother? Are those devices not part of Google's cloud base plans?

Yes I do love my nexus phone, but I loved all the nexus devices. Now l agree that the camera could be better. I will not argue whether it is needed or not. I don't see the need, but if enough people want a great camera then as long as it does not take away from something else let's do it.

The storage thing I think there are several reasons for the choice. First look at the other 2 devices the 7, 10. Each have 2 storage selections. I think they want to keep it uniformed. Second they are keeping the cost down. Now the cost thing I never got. It does not cost google, Apple, or Samsung $50-$100 to add more storage.

My question to you is why do you need the storage, and why does this keep you from liking the phone? These types of things don't keep me from liking a phone.

chagla
Apr 18, 2013, 08:24 PM

I generally keep an offline gps app, like my music/video offline, take nand backup of roms.. as you can see space easily fills up. i like stuffs offline. cloud is great for SOME things. it's not so great when wifi is lacking, cell coverage is spotty. ;)

sometimes i like to share files with other phones. a decade ago when i got my 10gb hard drive, i thought i could never use that much space in my life.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 08:29 PM
I generally keep an offline gps app, like my music/video offline, take nand backup of roms.. as you can see space easily fills up. i like stuffs offline. cloud is great for SOME things. it's not so great when wifi is lacking, cell coverage is spotty. ;)

sometimes i like to share files with other phones. a decade ago when i got my 10gb hard drive, i thought i could never use that much space in my life.

Do you use the nexus line of phones? I thought I would need extra space a couple of years ago, but I really never come close to filling it up.

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 08:38 PM
Yes I do love my nexus phone, but I loved all the nexus devices. Now l agree that the camera could be better. I will not argue whether it is needed or not. I don't see the need, but if enough people want a great camera then as long as it does not take away from something else let's do it.

The storage thing I think there are several reasons for the choice. First look at the other 2 devices the 7, 10. Each have 2 storage selections. I think they want to keep it uniformed. Second they are keeping the cost down. Now the cost thing I never got. It does not cost google, Apple, or Samsung $50-$100 to add more storage.

My question to you is why do you need the storage, and why does this keep you from liking the phone? These types of things don't keep me from liking a phone.

You need to get your info straight. I never said I didn't like the phone. There are things about it I don't like and things that can be better. It's really that simple. The deal breaker for me I sum up here:

Anyway, your posts sound awfully similar to iOS apologists who settle (and defend tooth and nail) for what is given to them because it's "good enough." It's great the Nexus 4 works for you as it is. But there's no reason why it can't nor shouldn't be much better the next go around.

Again, even Google themselves have conceded they'll finally put a good camera in the next Nexus. Let's just say I'm glad that decision isn't up to you. :)

Take it easy.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 08:51 PM
You need to get your info straight. I never said I didn't like the phone. There are things about it I don't like and things that can be better. It's really that simple. The deal breaker for me I sum up here:

Anyway, your posts sound awfully similar to iOS apologists who settle (and defend tooth and nail) for what is given to them because it's "good enough." It's great the Nexus 4 works for you as it is. But there's no reason why it can't nor shouldn't be much better the next go around.

Again, even Google themselves have conceded they'll finally put a good camera in the next Nexus. Let's just say I'm glad that decision isn't up to you. :)

Take it easy.

OK so the call quality was your reason for leaving. That is understandable. I am no apologist for nexus line of phones. You come across as a picky phone user that no phone could ever live up to your expectations. I mean you are on these forums complaining about the iPhone, Samsung devices, and the nexus 4. Now you have ordered the HTC one you are going to find something wrong with it.

I don't find any of the things you don't like as bad things. That can't make me an apologist. There are things that are not so good about it. For one it is fragile and I have to be careful with it. Not a big problem because I do that with every phone I use. It does not LTE on it. I do miss it some times, but again it is nothing I can't do without. The battery life is not all that great either, but I can make it through a day, and that is all that matters. There are negatives to every phone, but I found a phone I like and can use.

Why do you feel that because I look past certain things because I found the phone works for me that I am apologist?

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 09:00 PM
Why do you feel that because I look past certain things because I found the phone works for me that I am apologist?

Here it is again.

Anyway, your posts sound awfully similar to iOS apologists

Djlild7hina
Apr 18, 2013, 09:00 PM
next iPhone (5S or 6... probably 5s :P) and Note III

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 09:05 PM
Here it is again.

Oh I am sorry. Let me know when you find the perfect phone that does everything you could ever want from a phone. What are going to return the HTC One after that camera does not work out for you like you thought? Ever phone has things people don't like about it. I have the Note 2 as well. It does not have the best display on it, but I still think it is a great phone. I have an iPhone 5 I am not not that happy with ios. All phones have things we don't like about them, but guess what at some point you have to chose one that works for you. I am still not sure how this make me a nexus apologist.

Could you tell me the last smartphone you were happy with?

onthecouchagain
Apr 18, 2013, 09:14 PM
I am still not sure how this make me a nexus apologist.

: face palm :

Here it is one last time. IN BOLD. Good luck.

Anyway, your posts sound awfully similarto iOS apologists

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 09:18 PM
: face palm :

Here it is one last time. IN BOLD. Good luck.

Oh OK well good for you. Good job of not answering any of my questions.

strausd
Apr 18, 2013, 10:32 PM
lulz @ iPhone 5S. So uninterested.

I don't know man. A fingerprint scanner built into the home button sounds pretty interesting to me.

blairh
Apr 18, 2013, 10:47 PM
I plan on pre-ordering the Optimus G Pro soon after the May 1st keynote. I'm going to sell my iPhone 5 afterwards. It appears to be the IPS phablet that I've wanted for a while.

sentinelsx
Apr 18, 2013, 11:03 PM

Lol so I am an idiot for wanting stock android coupled with the best cameras, the best screens, the best hardware builds, and best hardware all around? Am I?

What do you mean by "the next big trick"? The perfect pictures taken by skinned androids and iPhones? May be you have no need for it, but the nexus camera sucks compared to even the 5mp in iPhone 4. Give me a break! All LG had to do was to include a $20 cost for a better camera sensor which they didn't.

And as for the $350. How about google makes a $600 truly high end nexus VARIANT for us people too? That way both camps are happy. The cheap geeks are happy and mainstream stock android lovers who also want good hardware are happy too.

It is annoying when geeks think the world should just revolve around them only.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 11:15 PM
Lol so I am an idiot for wanting stock android coupled with the best cameras, the best screens, the best hardware builds, and best hardware all around? Am I?

What do you mean by "the next big trick"? The perfect pictures taken by skinned androids and iPhones? May be you have no need for it, but the nexus camera sucks compared to even the 5mp in iPhone 4. Give me a break! All LG had to do was to include a $20 cost for a better camera sensor which they didn't.

And as for the $350. How about google makes a $600 truly high end nexus VARIANT for us people too? That way both camps are happy. The cheap geeks are happy and mainstream stock android lovers who also want good hardware are happy too.

It is annoying when geeks think the world should just revolve around them only.

The problem is you don't understand what the nexus line was created for. I have discussed this before. The nexus line of phones never leads the way in hardware. That is not what it is made for. Look at all the nexus phones before the nexus 4. They are never cutting edge. They are there to show companies like Samsung what android can do. The phones always come out at the end of a calendar year which means they will always be trumped by the next year phones.

I don't think you are an idiot I just don't think you get the nexus line. Sure they could have added a better camera. You saying they should add a more expense one to suit people like you. I am not sure what you were suggesting with your comments, but Google will never add two different nexus phones.

sentinelsx
Apr 18, 2013, 11:28 PM
The problem is you don't understand what the nexus line was created for. I have discussed this before. The nexus line of phones never leads the way in hardware. That is not what it is made for. Look at all the nexus phones before the nexus 4. They are never cutting edge. They are there to show companies like Samsung what android can do. The phones always come out at the end of a calendar year which means they will always be trumped by the next year phones.

I don't think you are an idiot I just don't think you get the nexus line. Sure they could have added a better camera. You saying they should add a more expense one to suit people like you. I am not sure what you were suggesting with your comments, but Google will never add two different nexus phones.

This always cracks me up big time.

If nexus is made for developers only, where is the official statement for this?

And if google wants to carry on with this, I hope Samsung does pull tizen out and creates some heat so google wakes up and starts making great stock android phones for once, not just good enough phones.

bmac4
Apr 18, 2013, 11:34 PM
This always cracks me up big time.

If nexus is made for developers only, where is the official statement for this?

And if google wants to carry on with this, I hope Samsung does pull tizen out and creates some heat so google wakes up and starts making great stock android phones for once, not just good enough phones.

OK I am not getting into this again. I like my nexus 4 and have owned and liked every nexus phone since the nexus s. I am happy with what they have done, and I don't expect everyone to like them. They have never been a huge selling phones. It was just that the nexus 4 was so cheap it caught a lot of peoples attention. Maybe they will go another direction, but I don't think that is was the intentions were from the start.

nick_elt
Apr 19, 2013, 10:18 AM

most ppl don't use cloud storage for music, that's a pretty naive question

sentinelsx
Apr 19, 2013, 10:24 AM
OK I am not getting into this again. I like my nexus 4 and have owned and liked every nexus phone since the nexus s. I am happy with what they have done, and I don't expect everyone to like them. They have never been a huge selling phones. It was just that the nexus 4 was so cheap it caught a lot of peoples attention. Maybe they will go another direction, but I don't think that is was the intentions were from the start.

Still makes my argument about the nexus being a crap device hardware wise completely valid.

Disappointing nexus line IS the biggest reason why I keep switching between iPhones and androids constantly. I get tired of the locked down iPhone (for me) and prefer android for other reasons as well, but then I realize that stock android is the best skin for me. However, the nexus hardware always ends up forcing me to go back to the iPhone because I want a clean OS paired with great hardware.

Is also the reason I hope BB10 succeeds. Then I can probably ditch android for the BB10 handsets which have no touchjizz or nonsense but still carry great hardware.

bmac4
Apr 19, 2013, 10:26 AM

No plenty of people use cloud music. That is the way to go on android. Why do you think so many android phones are now being made without SD card slots?

sentinelsx
Apr 19, 2013, 10:28 AM

Yup, and then some of us don't have carriers who give those unlimited data plans. Plus many of us keep shuffling music around and cloud is annoying when it comes to that.

Plus the storage is super handy when transporting data. When I went overseas, I lost my USB but had to take a huge picture and video album with 8gb in size. Thankfully i had the iPhone 4 32gb jailbroken so I copied them directly to the already 15 GB filled device and I still had a decent 3-4 GB free space left with nothing to sweat.

It's nice when a SMARTPHONE works like one instead of me working for it.

bmac4
Apr 19, 2013, 10:30 AM
Still makes my argument about the nexus being a crap device hardware wise completely valid.

Disappointing nexus line IS the biggest reason why I keep switching between iPhones and androids constantly. I get tired of the locked down iPhone (for me) and prefer android for other reasons as well, but then I realize that stock android is the best skin for me. However, the nexus hardware always ends up forcing me to go back to the iPhone because I want a clean OS paired with great hardware.

Is also the reason I hope BB10 succeeds. Then I can probably ditch android for the BB10 handsets which have no touchjizz or nonsense but still carry great hardware.

Well then stop buying them if you don't like them. I don't find the hardware to be a disappointment. The camera works for me and 8gb of storage is all I need. I don't do roms or anything like that.

Just because you think they are disappointments does not mean they are. I like my nexus 4, and know what Google is doing. If you don't move along. No one made you buy the phone. If you keep hoping for great hardware then you better starting looking else where. Why not just root a skinned phone and then you can get stock?

sentinelsx
Apr 19, 2013, 10:34 AM
No plenty of people use cloud music. That is the way to go on android. Why do you think so many android phones are now being made without SD card slots?

With google music officially not available in Canada, why do you suppose google wants us to use a nexus 4 as they are selling it now on every carrier?

It is a sick joke by them if they really want everyone to use cloud.

----------

Well then stop buying them if you don't like them. I don't find the hardware to be a disappointment. The camera works for me and 8gb of storage is all I need. I don't do roms or anything like that.

Just because you think they are disappointments does not mean they are. I like my nexus 4, and know what Google is doing. If you don't move along. No one made you buy the phone. If you keep hoping for great hardware then you better starting looking else where. Why not just root a skinned phone and then you can get stock?

By the same logic, just because you think it is a great decision to make the nexus 4 the way it is, means it actually is. It is not. The hardware sucks, plain and simple. :)

----------

If you keep hoping for great hardware then you better starting looking else where. Why not just root a skinned phone and then you can get stock?

That's EXACTLY what I said earlier about getting the gs4, yet my comment about why I look down on nexus and it being a disappointment riled you up.

No matter how you spin it, it won't become great to me all of a sudden :)

bmac4
Apr 19, 2013, 10:40 AM
With google music officially not available in Canada, why do you suppose google wants us to use a nexus 4 as they are selling it now on every carrier?

It is a sick joke by them if they really want everyone to use cloud.

----------

By the same logic, just because you think it is a great decision to make the nexus 4 the way it is, means it actually is. It is not. The hardware sucks, plain and simple. :)

----------

That's EXACTLY what I said earlier about getting the gs4, yet my comment about why I look down on nexus and it being a disappointment riled you up.

No matter how you spin it, it won't become great to me all of a sudden :)

I don't care if you like it or not. I am telling you that you can keep complaining about it, or you could just realize that nothing is going to change much about the nexus line and move on to something else. Why come on here and complain about something no one cares what you think about.

You can keep saying it is disappointing, but I disagree and I believe you came into buying a nexus device with the complete wrong mindset.

sentinelsx
Apr 19, 2013, 10:47 AM
I don't care if you like it or not. I am telling you that you can keep complaining about it, or you could just realize that nothing is going to change much about the nexus line and move on to something else. Why come on here and complain about something no one cares what you think about.

You can keep saying it is disappointing, but I disagree and I believe you came into buying a nexus device with the complete wrong mindset.

Because it is a forum, and I am fully entitled to speak my mind about why I think about a certain thing. Why is your disagreement the key to me stop posting? You disagree, move on. It is not going to change my perception at all.

I am simply stating that I disagree with what you think the nexus should be. I doubt Matias Duarte calls you everyday telling you what google thinks the nexus should be either.

bmac4
Apr 19, 2013, 10:56 AM
Because it is a forum, and I am fully entitled to speak my mind about why I think about a certain thing. Why is your disagreement the key to me stop posting? You disagree, move on. It is not going to change my perception at all.

I am simply stating that I disagree with what you think the nexus should be. I doubt Matias Duarte calls you everyday telling you what google thinks the nexus should be either.

OK so let me see of I can explain this more simple to you. Google does not make their own hardware, so they contract it out. The nexus one was made by HTC which based the phone on the HTC desire I believe. The Nexus S was based on the Samsung galaxy s 2. The galaxy nexus is based on the s3. Now the nexus 4 is based on the Optimus G. Now none of these companies are ever going to make hardware for the nexus line that will trump their own phones. This is how the program is designed, so you keep saying you want better hardware, but it want happen. Google would have to make their own hardware that is never going to happen. The OEMs that make the nexus are always going to add something to the hardware to make it better, so they can sell their phone too. Is that clear enough for you?

sentinelsx
Apr 19, 2013, 11:26 AM
OK so let me see of I can explain this more simple to you. Google does not make their own hardware, so they contract it out. The nexus one was made by HTC which based the phone on the HTC desire I believe. The Nexus S was based on the Samsung galaxy s 2. The galaxy nexus is based on the s3. Now the nexus 4 is based on the Optimus G. Now none of these companies are ever going to make hardware for the nexus line that will trump their own phones. This is how the program is designed, so you keep saying you want better hardware, but it want happen. Google would have to make their own hardware that is never going to happen. The OEMs that make the nexus are always going to add something to the hardware to make it better, so they can sell their phone too. Is that clear enough for you?

And I know that already.

Why is me saying I find this current state of affairs as disappointing sound so bad to you though?

Should I also start lying about why I don't like buying white colored vehicles? Atleast there I am covered.

bmac4
Apr 19, 2013, 11:47 AM
And I know that already.

Why is me saying I find this current state of affairs as disappointing sound so bad to you though?

Should I also start lying about why I don't like buying white colored vehicles? Atleast there I am covered.

So I don't understand what you are complaining about. If you knew all that before you bought the nexus 4 then why are you complaining? How do you expect things to change?

The hardware is never going to live up to your standards, so why do you even bother. Google is not going to get into the hardware business, so what we have is what we get. There will always be a better big brother hardware phone than the nexus. If you don't like it buy the bigger brother.

nick_elt
Apr 19, 2013, 11:59 AM

you are dreaming if you think more than a small minority use cloud streaming for music. That's might be what they want you to do and it may be the future but it ain't the present with current global data plans (yes I know some countries like England have unlimited data but not many have that luxury)

bmac4
Apr 19, 2013, 12:02 PM
you are dreaming if you think more than a small minority use cloud streaming for music. That's might be what they want you to do and it may be the future but it ain't the present with current global data plans (yes I know some countries like England have unlimited data but not many have that luxury)

OK sorry. I thought that was one of the appeals to buying an android was having play music app. I am in the US and have had an unlimited data plan for a long time. I also store some of my favorite music for off line play. Most of the time I have my iPhone 5 that is just use as an iPod to listen to music.

sentinelsx
Apr 19, 2013, 12:04 PM
So I don't understand what you are complaining about. If you knew all that before you bought the nexus 4 then why are you complaining? How do you expect things to change?

The hardware is never going to live up to your standards, so why do you even bother. Google is not going to get into the hardware business, so what we have is what we get. There will always be a better big brother hardware phone than the nexus. If you don't like it buy the bigger brother.

I am saying I don't like it, jeez. What's so hard to understand?

99% of stuff in these forums IS complaining over and over again, yet you single me out for speaking my mind?

I get it you don't like my opinion, just suck it up and move on. It works great for you, well good for you. Did I say why are you content with it? I simply stated why I am not content with it and countered yours (and probably others) questions.

I didn't know nexus fanboys were fiercer than iPhone fanboys. Wow.

----------

OK sorry. I thought that was one of the appeals to buying an android was having play music app. I am in the US and have had an unlimited data plan for a long time. I also store some of my favorite music for off line play. Most of the time I have my iPhone 5 that is just use as an iPod to listen to music.

So what do those people do who have nexus phones available but no google cloud music or movies rentals?

Android is open source. The "point" of android is not to force people onto cloud. That would be the Firefox OS and Aliyun maybe, not android. Otherwise why support native apps and make everything web based instead?

bmac4
Apr 19, 2013, 12:15 PM

99% of stuff in these forums IS complaining over and over again, yet you single me out for speaking my mind?

I get it you don't like my opinion, just suck it up and move on. It works great for you, well good for you. Did I say why are you content with it? I simply stated why I am not content with it and countered yours (and probably others) questions.

I didn't know nexus fanboys were fiercer than iPhone fanboys. Wow.

----------

So what do those people do who have nexus phones available but no google cloud music or movies rentals?

Android is open source. The "point" of android is not to force people onto cloud. That would be the Firefox OS and Aliyun maybe, not android. Otherwise why support native apps and make everything web based instead?

You said in your first comment something to the effect of you were waiting to see Google to release another disappointing hardware phone. You are not the only person I have commented on. It was the only one I saw in this thread. Oh and onthecouchagain decided to chime in to. Here is your orignal post:

It just did not seem like you understood why Google made the nexus phones. With a comment like disappointing hardware on a nexus don't sound like you get why they make them. Sorry man I just don't like people to make comments like that if they understand what Google is trying to accomplish with the nexus phones.

BTW I am not an nexus fanboy. Your comments just don't add up. If you know the nexus devices are not going to be the same standards as the skinned big brother then why complain? Google like I said several times is not going to make hardware, so this program want change. Why did you buy the phone if you did not like mid range hardware?

In the past year I have had the galaxy nexus, iPhone 5, galaxy note 2, and nexus 4. I use the note 2 and nexus 4 together right now. I don't really call that being a nexus fan boy. Sure I like android better than iOS. Anyone that has read any of my post knows this, but when it comes to people complaining at least know what you are talking about. The nexus phones have always just been mid range hardware, but they sell the software. Have you seen their latest ad on tv? It is about someone traveling to France and using Google translate to talk to people. They never once talk about the hardware of the phone. Most people that buy the nexus phones do not care about hardware. I guess I am being a little harsh on you, but I just see this as not doing your research. If you say you knew how the nexus phone program worked you would not be waiting to see how the nexus 5 hardware would disappoint. You would know that it will be made after lets say whatever LG's latest android phone will be. It will be good hardware for early 2013, but it want be hardware that will be cutting edge for 2014. That is the way it has been I think it will always be.

onthecouchagain
Apr 19, 2013, 01:25 PM

Don't bother. Bmac4 has some serious issues when it comes to the Nexus 4. He gets incredibly defensive for no reason whatsoever. He got defensive of the device immediate in my conversation with him too. And over nothing. Over just me saying that I essentially think the Nexus 4 is aimed at consumers more than he claimed. Then he became increasingly hostile as the convo went on, creating straw man claims about my feelings toward the Nexus 4 or toward people liking the device.

Just bizarre behavior more than anything. =T

bmac4
Apr 19, 2013, 01:51 PM
Don't bother. Bmac4 has some serious issues when it comes to the Nexus 4. He gets incredibly defensive for no reason whatsoever. He got defensive of the device immediate in my conversation with him too. And over nothing. Over just me saying that I essentially think the Nexus 4 is aimed at consumers more than he claimed. Then he became increasingly hostile as the convo went on, creating straw man claims about my feelings toward the Nexus 4 or toward people liking the device.

Just bizarre behavior more than anything. =T

So this was my first response to you

How is this defensive? I was only explaining how I felt about the nexus program. Sure I was way more harsh with sentinelsx because he was a bit harsh on the nexus 4 from the beginning.

Kashsystems
Apr 19, 2013, 02:52 PM
The original nexus phone was called a developer phone for two reasons.

1. Unlock boot loader allowing rom developers to work and develop their own custom roms.

2. Stock Android, so a programmer could work with an unmodified environment to create their applications.

So part of that is the drawn of the Nexus line to a very small minority...

cambookpro
Apr 19, 2013, 02:54 PM
I'm waiting to see the Nexus '5' and the iPhone 5S - but will most likely wait for the iPhone 6.

bmac4
Apr 19, 2013, 03:28 PM
The original nexus phone was called a developer phone for two reasons.

1. Unlock boot loader allowing rom developers to work and develop their own custom roms.

2. Stock Android, so a programmer could work with an unmodified environment to create their applications.

So part of that is the drawn of the Nexus line to a very small minority...

So what do you think they are now? Cause it seems I am wrong in thinking they have not change that much since the nexus one.

Kashsystems
Apr 19, 2013, 03:40 PM
So what do you think they are now? Cause it seems I am wrong in thinking they have not change that much since the nexus one.

I think they are just a normal run of a mill phone, I do not think the developer moniker matters anymore. Developers I know just develop on whatever Android tablet or phone they have at their disposal.

bmac4
Apr 19, 2013, 03:45 PM
I think they are just a normal run of a mill phone, I do not think the developer moniker matters anymore. Developers I know just develop on whatever Android tablet or phone they have at their disposal.

Well I still don't think they are made for just the average smartphone user. The phone does not hold your hand like the Samsungs, iPhones, or HTCs. It take a little more work to do what you want to do. But it seems that I must be wrong on that. The nexus 4 is made for everyone. With the price everyone can get it.

appletoandroid
Apr 19, 2013, 05:01 PM
Well I still don't think they are made for just the average smartphone user. The phone does not hold your hand like the Samsungs, iPhones, or HTCs. It take a little more work to do what you want to do. But it seems that I must be wrong on that. The nexus 4 is made for everyone. With the price everyone can get it.

That's a contradiction.

Also, I don't get how it is particularly special to hold in your hand. Sure, the sides are grippy, but the back is flat and unpleasant.

With the Galaxy Nexus, Samsung at least went with a different chip set, different screen, different battery, different cellular radio, different overall look. And it was based on the GS2 not GS3. In the Nexus 4, LG simply took the Optimus G and stuck a new case on it while going backwards with the camera, storage space, and LTE. Let's not forget that the Nexus 4 should have been a progression of the Optimus G, not the same phone w/ different Android version.

bmac4
Apr 19, 2013, 05:20 PM
That's a contradiction.

Also, I don't get how it is particularly special to hold in your hand. Sure, the sides are grippy, but the back is flat and unpleasant.

With the Galaxy Nexus, Samsung at least went with a different chip set, different screen, different battery, different cellular radio, different overall look. And it was based on the GS2 not GS3. In the Nexus 4, LG simply took the Optimus G and stuck a new case on it while going backwards with the camera, storage space, and LTE. Let's not forget that the Nexus 4 should have been a progression of the Optimus G, not the same phone w/ different Android version.

OK well I guess I am in the minority in liking the nexus 4. Which is fine I can like it and no one has to.

johnjefferson
Apr 19, 2013, 08:40 PM
all of the phones you mentioned with the addition of the 5S. Not for the phone itself, but to see what IOS 7 brings.

iOS 5 and 6 were launched in Sept and Oct with new iPhones. Why would they release iOS 7 for the 5s which is a minor upgrade? iOS 7 wont be out until the iPhone 6 in the fall.

Beeplance
Apr 19, 2013, 08:46 PM
GALAXY S4 for me. A bigger and higher resolution screen on the same form factor as the S3 makes it look really good, think I'll be getting the white color one, unless there's a new pink one coming :D

Genuinely thought there'll be more takers for the HTC One than what the poll is reflecting....

0dev
Apr 20, 2013, 07:59 AM
I'm waiting to see what other BlackBerry 10 handsets will come along in the next few months. The Q10 will drop this month and the R10 should be along soon enough.

I'd probably buy a Z10 over a Q10 because I like a full sized touchscreen, but I'd also like to have a look at the Q10. I'd buy both an S3 and a Q10 if I could afford it.

MuddyPaws1
Apr 20, 2013, 12:32 PM
I had to pick other because the iPhone6 wasn't on there.:(

bmac4
Apr 20, 2013, 12:47 PM
I had to pick other because the iPhone6 wasn't on there.:(

Well that is over a year away.

MuddyPaws1
Apr 20, 2013, 01:02 PM
Well that is over a year away.

Yea, I know. I have the S3 now and like it. Got it when I had so many issues with the iP5. But I would still like a iPhone only with a larger screen.

bmac4
Apr 20, 2013, 01:16 PM
Yea, I know. I have the S3 now and like it. Got it when I had so many issues with the iP5. But I would still like a iPhone only with a larger screen.

Yea I wish they would give us something new this year, but I doubt it.

Twixt
Apr 20, 2013, 05:52 PM

We have different needs it seems.
I have several MS Exchange accounts and would ideally like to carry 15 GBx2 of emails with me.
Same with 10 GB+ of files i would need to have full access to. I have no interest in any cloud service as poor coverage is frequent in Europe...
On top I have 300 GB of music and i even dont count movies and series i could add

Obviously i need a unique phone for both leisure and work that could be good substitute for my laptop as often as possible.

I am far from average usage but 32 GB is what i got from my 3GS 4 years ago, i assume having 128 GB or even more now should not be too much to ask for. Also flash RAM is extremely cheap with 128 GB chips available this year...

bmac4
Apr 20, 2013, 05:58 PM
We have different needs it seems.
I have several MS Exchange accounts and would ideally like to carry 15 GBx2 of emails with me.
Same with 10 GB+ of files i would need to have full access to. I have no interest in any cloud service as poor coverage is frequent in Europe...
On top I have 300 GB of music and i even dont count movies and series i could add

Obviously i need a unique phone for both leisure and work that could be good substitute for my laptop as often as possible.

I am far from average usage but 32 GB is what i got from my 3GS 4 years ago, i assume having 128 GB or even more now should not be too much to ask for. Also flash RAM is extremely cheap with 128 GB chips available this year...

Man I am not sure there will ever be enough GB phone to hold your needs. You are close to wanting 300gb you want to put all your music on it. I am in the US and have unlimited data so cloud base storage is great. Also I carry around my iPhone 5 around as an iPod with all my music. You are right we have much different taste and needs.

0dev
Apr 20, 2013, 06:44 PM

I don't even know where to begin with this...

There is a 32GB Nexus device first of all. I have one right next to me. You can buy it here. (https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_32gb)

Second, to claim these phones are designed for American carriers is simply ignorant. The HTC One you reference is made by a Taiwanese company and sold all over the world. While the carriers in the US add their own branding they don't design the phones, HTC did that themselves.

Google has said it's moving to cloud based systems, this is true. But that doesn't mean there's no need for a large amount of local storage on phones today. What if you're in an area with no signal or simply a poor data connection and want to listen to music or watch a film? Or what if you simply have no unlimited data (which you should know most people in the US lack) and therefore don't want to have to pull all your media from cloud services all the time? No, even Google understands local storage is important on mobile phones right now.

bmac4
Apr 20, 2013, 07:12 PM
I don't even know where to begin with this...

There is a 32GB Nexus device first of all. I have one right next to me. You can buy it here. (https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_32gb)

Second, to claim these phones are designed for American carriers is simply ignorant. The HTC One you reference is made by a Taiwanese company and sold all over the world. While the carriers in the US add their own branding they don't design the phones, HTC did that themselves.

Google has said it's moving to cloud based systems, this is true. But that doesn't mean there's no need for a large amount of local storage on phones today. What if you're in an area with no signal or simply a poor data connection and want to listen to music or watch a film? Or what if you simply have no unlimited data (which you should know most people in the US lack) and therefore don't want to have to pull all your media from cloud services all the time? No, even Google understands local storage is important on mobile phones right now.

When a phone like the One is made if HTC wants carriers to have the phone they have to meet certain standards of the carrier. I am not talking just about American carriers, but carriers all over the world. If the carriers don't like something they want carry the phone. That is why phones can differ between carriers. Also the international version of a phone is different from the carrier one. In the case of the S4 the carrier model is going to have the quad core and the international version will have the octocore processor.

I have change my views some on the storage thing, so we can move on from that.

0dev
Apr 20, 2013, 07:28 PM
When a phone like the One is made if HTC wants carriers to have the phone they have to meet certain standards of the carrier. I am not talking just about American carriers, but carriers all over the world. If the carriers don't like something they want carry the phone. That is why phones can differ between carriers. Also the international version of a phone is different from the carrier one. In the case of the S4 the carrier model is going to have the quad core and the international version will have the octocore processor.

I have change my views some on the storage thing, so we can move on from that.

Again, not true, not outside the US anyway. The manufacturer makes the phone and the carriers take the ones that they think will sell, which usually constitutes "all the phones that are popular." Also, in most of the world there are no different versions of phones for each carrier. There is one version of each phone sold on every provider, that's it. The only difference between them will be a bit of branding. That's the case throughout the whole of Europe and pretty much the rest of the world outside of America. It's also standard in many countries to buy the phone and service completely separately, so in fact, the customer purchases the phone unlocked without any interference from the carrier at all.

Aside from Apple, pretty much phone manufacturer is not American (Samsung is Korean, HTC is Taiwanese, BlackBerry is Canadian, etc.) so they are not specifically designing their phones for US carriers. Hell, Apple isn't either, in fact Apple famously stood up to the carriers when they launched the first iPhone.

They do all make variations of their phones for different bands, because for some reason there's no standardised frequencies and cellular technology in the US as there is in Europe, and so that usually requires a different SoC, hence the US and international variations of high end phones like the S4. But that isn't changing the specs for the carriers, it's changing the specs out of necessity so they can use the right frequencies.

bmac4
Apr 20, 2013, 08:00 PM
Again, not true, not outside the US anyway. The manufacturer makes the phone and the carriers take the ones that they think will sell, which usually constitutes "all the phones that are popular." Also, in most of the world there are no different versions of phones for each carrier. There is one version of each phone sold on every provider, that's it. The only difference between them will be a bit of branding. That's the case throughout the whole of Europe and pretty much the rest of the world outside of America. It's also standard in many countries to buy the phone and service completely separately, so in fact, the customer purchases the phone unlocked without any interference from the carrier at all.

Aside from Apple, pretty much phone manufacturer is not American (Samsung is Korean, HTC is Taiwanese, BlackBerry is Canadian, etc.) so they are not specifically designing their phones for US carriers. Hell, Apple isn't either, in fact Apple famously stood up to the carriers when they launched the first iPhone.

They do all make variations of their phones for different bands, because for some reason there's no standardised frequencies and cellular technology in the US as there is in Europe, and so that usually requires a different SoC, hence the US and international variations of high end phones like the S4. But that isn't changing the specs for the carriers, it's changing the specs out of necessity so they can use the right frequencies.

I am not saying they change the specs of the phone per carrier request. You are talking about the international version of phones when you say they have one phone in Europe. The other versions are the carrier version which is what Americans get. You don't think they have to design phones with the big carriers like Att and Verizon in mind you are crazy. The version of the HTC One that Europe gets is different than the one Att gets. Do you really think a company like HTC does not make sure their phone make the standards that Att makes? Do you know how big the smartphone market is in the US? Att has to approve the One before they will carry it. They have to add there stuff to the phone, and it has to work.

I know phone makers don't have to make a phone based only on what the carriers want, but they have meet there requires if they want them to carrier their phone. HTC, Samsung, blackberry, and Apple don't want to not sell there phones with carriers that would be huge money missed. Sure Apple made Att bend over backwards to have the iPhone, but that does not mean some things had to be to Att's liking. The iPhone now has facetime, but the Att want allow it over LTE for unlimited data user. There is nothing Apple can do about that they have to have something in the software not to allow it. Also you can't use tethering with the iPhone if you are on unlimited again an Att thing. HTC has to do the same thing. As does Samsung, and blackberry.

bembol
Apr 20, 2013, 09:19 PM
4 more days until I get my S4.

bmac4
Apr 20, 2013, 09:23 PM
4 more days until I get my S4.

Let us know how it is.

xchampx13
Apr 20, 2013, 09:24 PM
My S4 will be coming by the 27th, It says it is possible to come earlier.

NbinHD
Apr 21, 2013, 03:29 AM
The cheaper iPhone, because i'm 15 and dont want to shell out $800 for a phone, nor do i need one. I use a phone as a phone and thats it basically. Besides there is no good 'dumb' phones out there.

0dev
Apr 21, 2013, 04:56 AM
I am not saying they change the specs of the phone per carrier request. You are talking about the international version of phones when you say they have one phone in Europe. The other versions are the carrier version which is what Americans get. You don't think they have to design phones with the big carriers like Att and Verizon in mind you are crazy. The version of the HTC One that Europe gets is different than the one Att gets. Do you really think a company like HTC does not make sure their phone make the standards that Att makes? Do you know how big the smartphone market is in the US? Att has to approve the One before they will carry it. They have to add there stuff to the phone, and it has to work.

Most carriers add branded apps and so on even here, but that doesn't mean the phone was "designed to their specifications", it just means they just add a bit of preinstalled crapware to the OS.

I know phone makers don't have to make a phone based only on what the carriers want, but they have meet there requires if they want them to carrier their phone. HTC, Samsung, blackberry, and Apple don't want to not sell there phones with carriers that would be huge money missed. Sure Apple made Att bend over backwards to have the iPhone, but that does not mean some things had to be to Att's liking. The iPhone now has facetime, but the Att want allow it over LTE for unlimited data user. There is nothing Apple can do about that they have to have something in the software not to allow it. Also you can't use tethering with the iPhone if you are on unlimited again an Att thing. HTC has to do the same thing. As does Samsung, and blackberry.

Those aren't things done by Apple, those are things which the software enables or disables depending on the network settings. The carriers set those of course, but again, this is not the same as the carriers designing the phones to their specifications.

My iPhone 4 can do FaceTime over 3G and it can tether on unlimited data all it wants. Because Apple has built those features into it despite the fact US carriers dislike them. What I can't do, though, is disable 3G and just use 2G networks. Why? Because my service provider, Three, only has a 3G network, so they don't allow it. Does this mean my iPhone was designed by Three? Of course not, it just means the network settings on the SIM card disable the ability to turn 3G off. Just as your AT&T SIM will disable the ability to use FaceTime over 3G and tether.

So really, what you mean by meeting the requirements of the carriers is allowing the SIM settings to work. It's not that they've had any effect on setting the features the phones have, it's that they have the ability to disable certain services as long as the phone is on their network. IMHO they shouldn't even be able to do that, but the point remains: these phones are not designed with the US carriers in mind at all. If they were, these features wouldn't even be there in the first place.

Twixt
Apr 21, 2013, 06:21 AM
Man I am not sure there will ever be enough GB phone to hold your needs. You are close to wanting 300gb you want to put all your music on it. I am in the US and have unlimited data so cloud base storage is great. Also I carry around my iPhone 5 around as an iPod with all my music. You are right we have much different taste and needs.

I have to agree with you on that 300GB being unrealistic, 128 GB would be ok as I am not listening to all my music
I also have unlimited data but 50% of the time i am still with 2.5G throughput so local storage is a must

bmac4
Apr 21, 2013, 07:26 AM
Most carriers add branded apps and so on even here, but that doesn't mean the phone was "designed to their specifications", it just means they just add a bit of preinstalled crapware to the OS.

Those aren't things done by Apple, those are things which the software enables or disables depending on the network settings. The carriers set those of course, but again, this is not the same as the carriers designing the phones to their specifications.

My iPhone 4 can do FaceTime over 3G and it can tether on unlimited data all it wants. Because Apple has built those features into it despite the fact US carriers dislike them. What I can't do, though, is disable 3G and just use 2G networks. Why? Because my service provider, Three, only has a 3G network, so they don't allow it. Does this mean my iPhone was designed by Three? Of course not, it just means the network settings on the SIM card disable the ability to turn 3G off. Just as your AT&T SIM will disable the ability to use FaceTime over 3G and tether.

So really, what you mean by meeting the requirements of the carriers is allowing the SIM settings to work. It's not that they've had any effect on setting the features the phones have, it's that they have the ability to disable certain services as long as the phone is on their network. IMHO they shouldn't even be able to do that, but the point remains: these phones are not designed with the US carriers in mind at all. If they were, these features wouldn't even be there in the first place.

I don't have the time right now, but I will go look this up and edit my at some point. There was this really good article talking about how a phone maker was sitting with At&t and letting them make sure the phone was OK with them. The smartphone has to go through all these stages before it can ever be used on a specific carrier. Again I will look this up later and post it.

I am not saying something like the HTC One was design by or specific for a carrier. What I am saying is HTC has to make sure when they do make the One that it meets network requirements for US carriers. If not then they will never allow the phone to be sold with them. HTC would never want to miss about on US sales that would kill them. Also sure Apple wanted certain things to be meet for At&t to sell the iPhone, but there are also certain things that the iPhone has to meet to for At&t to be happy.

WoodNUFC
Apr 21, 2013, 08:04 AM
I played with a demo HTC One yesterday at Best Buy and fell in love with it! I have an iPhone 4 through work right now, but I'm leaving that job this summer and need a new phone. The black model of the phone is just stunning!

onthecouchagain
Apr 21, 2013, 09:11 AM
The cheaper iPhone, because i'm 15 and dont want to shell out $800 for a phone, nor do i need one. I use a phone as a phone and thats it basically. Besides there is no good 'dumb' phones out there.

How much do you think the cheaper iPhone will be? How much are you hoping it'll be? I'm just curious.

I wonder because apple still sells the iPhone 4S unlocked for $549.

They also still sell the iPhone 4 (a 2.5+ year old phone) for $450. And that's with only 8gb storage.

How much cheaper could the cheaper iPhone be? I see analysts predicting $300 or sub-$300. I find that very hard to believe. I'll predict it'll be in the $349-399 range. Maybe even $429-ish. And for 16gb. You can bet the specs will likely be lower too.

At those prices I would rather look at nexus options...

Kashsystems
Apr 21, 2013, 09:28 AM
How much do you think the cheaper iPhone will be? How much are you hoping it'll be? I'm just curious.

They also still sell the iPhone 4 (a 2.5+ year old phone) for $450. And that's with only 8gb storage.

How much cheaper could the cheaper iPhone be? I see analysts predicting $300 or sub-$300. I find that very hard to believe. I'll predict it'll be in the $349-399 range. Maybe even $429-ish. And for 16gb. You can bet the specs will likely be lower too.

Maybe he is talking about contract prices, the 4 is .99 and 4s is 99 dollars. Usually when a sale happens the 4s will drop down to 49.99.

onthecouchagain
Apr 21, 2013, 09:38 AM
Maybe he is talking about contract prices, the 4 is .99 and 4s is 99 dollars. Usually when a sale happens the 4s will drop down to 49.99.

Ah. He was talking about not having to shell out $800 dollars for a phone so I assumed he was talking unlocked prices. I could be wrong.

AppleRobert
Apr 21, 2013, 05:47 PM
So when can a light user for data, calling and texting get a real nice phone? Glad Walmart offers a thirty dollar no contract deal for some decent phones but I have been lotta luck with those real nice devices so far that are released.

torana355
Apr 21, 2013, 05:50 PM
Nexus 5 all the way baby!!

NbinHD
Apr 24, 2013, 08:34 PM

Im happy to pay $400, the thing is if i buy a iPhone 4, which i had but sold, its older generation tech/components. Id rather future proof it a little. But ill probably only get a iPhone again if iOS 7 brings some new changes. Other wise i might get a Nexus 4, Lumia 720 or something else.

sneaky butcher
Apr 25, 2013, 06:35 AM
I'm waiting for HTC M4 (codename). Should be similar to HTC One (M7) but with 4.3inch screen

Sensamic
Apr 25, 2013, 10:00 PM
Nexus 5.

ucfgrad93
Apr 25, 2013, 11:20 PM
The HTC One looks very interesting to me.

inselstudent
Apr 26, 2013, 07:41 AM
I've tried Android and just can't be asked to use it. I currently have an iPhone 4 and am waiting for either the 5S or the 6, depending on what will come with iOS 7 and how the next iPhone will make use of it.