Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
It's no secret that Apple has fallen behind some of their other competitors like Samsung and others when it comes to smartphones. While I enjoy my iPhone 5, I do feel that it has gotten a bit stale, when it comes to the camera. My phone is basically the only camera I use.

I've really been impressed with the HTC Image Sense chip that HTC has had in some of their recent devices and the different options it has available for taking pictures and now with the HTC Zoe functionality I'm completely in love with the HTC One.

When I compare my iPhone 5 and the soon HTC One, it's hard to see where Apple has the advantage anymore (except for the fact that I already have the eco-system in place with my macbook & iPad). The HTC One is what I hoped the iPhone would be by now (better camera, better sound, 1080p resolution - bigger screen).

I hate to say it but I think this is it for me an an iPhone. I've used the 3GS, 4S & now the iPhone 5 and I can't really find any complelling reasons to stay with my iPhone.

Someone talk some sense into me! Am I missing something here?

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
It's no secret that Apple has fallen behind some of their other competitors like Samsung and others when it comes to smartphones. While I enjoy my iPhone 5, I do feel that it has gotten a bit stale, when it comes to the camera. My phone is basically the only camera I use.

I've really been impressed with the HTC Image Sense chip that HTC has had in some of their recent devices and the different options it has available for taking pictures and now with the HTC Zoe functionality I'm completely in love with the HTC One.

When I compare my iPhone 5 and the soon HTC One, it's hard to see where Apple has the advantage anymore (except for the fact that I already have the eco-system in place with my macbook & iPad). The HTC One is what I hoped the iPhone would be by now (better camera, better sound, 1080p resolution - bigger screen).

I hate to say it but I think this is it for me an an iPhone. I've used the 3GS, 4S & now the iPhone 5 and I can't really find any complelling reasons to stay with my iPhone.

You've already made up you're mind, and you've already said you had no compelling reason to stay with the iPhone. Sometimes it just takes that extra push to try something new. I switched from my iPhone 5 to a Nexus 4 last November and haven't looked back. Now that the HTC One is out, I'm likely going to switch to that because it finally has the premium look and feel.

Anyway, with the plethora of detailed reviews on the One, you should have no trouble making the decision on switching or not.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Mate the iPhone 5 camera is definitely still much more consistent and better in most respects than the HTC One.

I posted a review in the main HTC One thread, the camera is extremely hit and miss, I'm afraid.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

What is the battery life going to be? I have had several HTC phones (Evo, Thunderbolt) and they have the worst battery life of any phone I have had....this will be the deal breaker for me......

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
What is the battery life going to be? I have had several HTC phones (Evo, Thunderbolt) and they have the worst battery life of any phone I have had....this will be the deal breaker for me......

You can rest assured that I will discuss some real honest battery life results when I share my thoughts with the HTC One.

Not that others are lying or anything. Just saying, I'll give it straight.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Read the bigger thread where people with the phone have already covered this. ;)

Battery life is surprisingly very good. The One X was poor enough too, but the One's battery life is VASTLY superior to it.

Now I don't have LTE, so my experiences are with the phone being on 2G/3G networks and Wifi hopping all day.

On light medium use I got 1 day 13 hrs 58 mins on the battery with 26% left when I put it on charge.
(3 email accounts auto-syncing, RSS news reading, updating tasks, calendars, listening to a little music whilst in the car via bluetooth, and then via headphones when walking, update twitter & Facebook etc.)

On a more heavy use day (over 100 photos taken and some HTC zoe's made, uploading via mobile data to HTC Share, 3 email accounts syncing, twitter, facebook, instagram updates, RSS reading, updating apps on google playstore, bluetooth audio for over an hour etc..) I got 15 hours on battery with 35% left on charge when I put it on charge at bedtime.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013

I know what you mean. To me, all androids have crappy battery lives. Even my iPhone 5 only makes it to about 3PM before I have to charge it up so I'm used to having poor battery life. Battery for me isn't the biggest issue so that won't break the bank for me.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Picking up my One tomorrow morning. I left the iPhone about a year ago and really can't believe so many people still use the thing. It's stale, it's boring, it's overwhelmed by Samsung and now HTC. Amazing how the mighty have fallen. The iPhone is well on its way to Motorola RAZR/LG Chocolate status. It is the teenage girl's best friend.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Picking up my One tomorrow morning. I left the iPhone about a year ago and really can't believe so many people still use the thing. It's stale, it's boring, it's overwhelmed by Samsung and now HTC. Amazing how the mighty have fallen. The iPhone is well on its way to Motorola RAZR/LG Chocolate status. It is the teenage girl's best friend.

I agree with some things said here, but "overwhelmed" is a strong word, especially in respect to HTC.

Heh.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

if overwhelmed you mean sells the most phones and makes the most money from those phones sales then....yes.....they are indeed overwhelmed.

appletoandroid

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013

Completely agree, but HTC has a huge mountain to climb, and quite frankly they look lost w/ their botched release. My Galaxy S2 can do so much more than an iPhone, and iPhone does nothing better. It's a wonder how so many people got brianwashed into buying an iPhone when nearly every other phone can do the same and so much more.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Completely agree, but HTC has a huge mountain to climb, and quite frankly they look lost w/ their botched release. My Galaxy S2 can do so much more than an iPhone, and iPhone does nothing better. It's a wonder how so many people got brianwashed into buying an iPhone when nearly every other phone can do the same and so much more.

Agree, HTC had a huge opportunity to gain ground if their release had been released sooner and in a more orderly process. They left consumers just enough time to ponder the upcoming S4!

Now regarding your galaxy S2, it may be able to do everything an iPhone can it can't touch the iPhone in terms of overall fluidity and in the brilliance of the screen. I have to think for a lot of people like myself the iPhone appealed because I have the Eco-system in place with a MacBook and an iPad so it works easier with those things.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
if overwhelmed you mean sells the most phones and makes the most money from those phones sales then....yes.....they are indeed overwhelmed.

how do these enhance a user experience/usability?

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Agree, HTC had a huge opportunity to gain ground if their release had been released sooner and in a more orderly process. They left consumers just enough time to ponder the upcoming S4!

Now regarding your galaxy S2, it may be able to do everything an iPhone can it can't touch the iPhone in terms of overall fluidity and in the brilliance of the screen. I have to think for a lot of people like myself the iPhone appealed because I have the Eco-system in place with a MacBook and an iPad so it works easier with those things.

All the newer droids match the overall fluidity and screen brilliance. At this point all it has working for it is the eco system.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
how do these enhance a user experience/usability?
They would not have that great user experience and usability and still sell more phones than anyone else. If the product sucked then people ( sane people) would not buy them and wait in long lines just to get one. The sales volume and user satisfaction surveys equals great user experience and product satisfaction and brand loyalty.

----------

All the newer droids match the overall fluidity and screen brilliance. At this point all it has working for it is the eco system.
i agree...I have had the Note 2, S3, in the last few months. They are awesome phones! But I have mostly all Apple products at home and the IP5 fits right in with that..... BUT.......I know I am getting either the HTC one or the S4. Leaning toward the HTC One....but we will see when I see one at the AT&T store.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013

I agree with you. 4.1 is great but when the S2 was released it was running Ginger Bread which was nowhere near as fluid as iOS was and the screen on the S2 can't hold a candle to even the 3.5 inch retina display which is what the guy I was responding to was claiming was as good as an iphone.

The current generation of Androids are great- Apple really seems to have lost the innovation that put them on top.

appletoandroid

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
I agree with you. 4.1 is great but when the S2 was released it was running Ginger Bread which was nowhere near as fluid as iOS was and the screen on the S2 can't hold a candle to even the 3.5 inch retina display which is what the guy I was responding to was claiming was as good as an iphone.

The current generation of Androids are great- Apple really seems to have lost the innovation that put them on top.

Gingerbread still has more features than iOS 6, so it's debatably a more powerful OS. And this is why the iPhone is so sad, it hasn't been an industry leader for years, quite frankly since the 3G launch.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013

You are kidding right? Being a professional photographer myself, one of the main reasons I own an iPhone 5 is for the camera. My roommate and I just went to a concert last night, he has the HTC One X plus. MY photos were night and day better than his as were my videos. Low light is where the iPhone really shines compared to Android cameras. Bright daylight, its more of a fair fight. All of the options to control your image on an Android phone is great but in terms of pure quality, the iPhone 5 is unmatched. This is why you have seen indie film makers shoot scenes or full short films with the iPhone, you wont see any do that with an Android phone.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
You are kidding right? Being a professional photographer myself, one of the main reasons I own an iPhone 5 is for the camera. My roommate and I just went to a concert last night, he has the HTC One X plus. MY photos were night and day better than his as were my videos. Low light is where the iPhone really shines compared to Android cameras. Bright daylight, its more of a fair fight. All of the options to control your image on an Android phone is great but in terms of pure quality, the iPhone 5 is unmatched. This is why you have seen indie film makers shoot scenes or full short films with the iPhone, you wont see any do that with an Android phone.

I tried an HTC One X last summer and thought the pictures it tooks were great, even better than I was getting on my 4S. Guess I don't have the professional eye ;)

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Actually the HTC One has a much different camera than the One X+. The 4 megapixels "Ultrapixel" camera makes each individual pixel larger, which lets in more light and produce better low-light pictures. Go to Google and search for some camera comparisons and you will see the HTC One defeats the iPhone in terms of low-light pictures.

If Apple still decides to stay where they are, enjoying profits, and does not bring any innovation to the market, I can see them be in where Microsoft, Nokia, and Blackberry had ended up.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Actually the HTC One has a much different camera than the One X+. The 4 megapixels "Ultrapixel" camera makes each individual pixel larger, which lets in more light and produce better low-light pictures. Go to Google and search for some camera comparisons and you will see the HTC One defeats the iPhone in terms of low-light pictures.

If Apple still decides to stay where they are, enjoying profits, and does not bring any innovation to the market, I can see them be in where Microsoft, Nokia, and Blackberry had ended up.

I have heard that and I actually played with an HTC One demo today. Granted I was only shooting pics in the AT&T store but thats fairly low light and my iPhone 5 pics looked just as good. Guess I would have to download them all at full size and pixel peep but I didnt notice anything drastically better with the HTC pics.

As far as Apple staying where they are, what makes you think that? iOS 7 is rumored to be a pretty big overhaul in use and even visually. Combine that with an iPhone 6 that will have a better display, processor and camera and I am sure it will sell plenty and Apple wont be going anywhere. I mean seriously, people having been saying for YEARS if Apple doesnt do this or do that, no one will buy the iPhone and they will die. Its quite laughable because each new iPhone outsells the last. Just yesterday, Verizon reported it activated 7.2 million phones in the first quarter of this year. Over half of them (4 million) were iPhones. This from the largest carrier with arguably the best Android lineup around. Now with T-Mobile on board and a lower priced model coming, the iPhone and Apple arent going anywhere for a long time :)

Last edited:

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013

The ultrapixel thing is worrying me, even giving me second thoughts. I haven't had the chance to play with the Ones camera function yet. I'm content with my iPhone 5 (albeit a bit bored) but content. I can handle a camera that is equal to the Iphone 5 but I just don't want to take a step backward.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The ultrapixel thing is worrying me, even giving me second thoughts. I haven't had the chance to play with the Ones camera function yet. I'm content with my iPhone 5 (albeit a bit bored) but content. I can handle a camera that is equal to the Iphone 5 but I just don't want to take a step backward.

Pixel wise its a step back. HDR wise at the moment it's a step back as its currently very inconsistent often resulting in over contrast areas or softness/blurring. The camera software on the one really needs some work, whereas on the iPhone 5 'it just works'.....

For social media it can produce some great shots, if your looking to blow anything up for printing stick with the iPhone 5 or 5S or SGS4.

A few pics from today on the one.

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

Last edited:

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I left the iPhone 5 for the HTC One and am just loving the **** out of this thing. And the camera takes great pictures. I am pleasantly surprised particularly by how good the front facing camera is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.