PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Launches Standalone iPhone Weather App, Brings Dedicated Mail App to iPad

MacRumors
Apr 18, 2013, 10:52 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/18/yahoo-launches-standalone-iphone-weather-app-brings-dedicated-mail-app-to-ipad/)

Yahoo has launched a new standalone iPhone weather app called Yahoo! Weather (http://www.appshopper.com/weather/yahoo-weather), along with an upgraded version of its Yahoo! Mail (http://appshopper.com/productivity/yahoo-mail) app that brings the native mail app experience to the iPad.

The weather app is by far the more interesting development, receiving praise from many reviewers and users. The Verge reports (http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/18/4236734/in-phase-two-of-rebuilding-effort-yahoo-releases-new-apps-for-weather) that Yahoo is attempting to get a halo effect from apps like Yahoo! Weather, hoping users will try one product and love that one so much that they'll begin using other Yahoo services.
"Marissa describes it as a chain reaction," said Adam Cahan, who leads mobile products at Yahoo, in an interview with The Verge. "I would love for you to use all 12 or 15 experiences that we're going to build for. You probably won't. But if I can get you to use a few, that's success. If we do something that you really love in one product, you'll give us a chance on another product."

Yahoo Weather represents one such attempt to delight users into giving the rest of the company's products a try. http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/yahooweather.jpg
Last week it was reported that Apple and Yahoo were in talks to deepen their iPhone partnership (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/09/apple-and-yahoo-in-talks-over-deeper-iphone-partnership/), but that the two companies are some ways off from a deal. Yahoo currently powers the default iOS stocks and weather apps, as well as providing data like sports stats to Siri.

The new Yahoo! Mail for iPad is available free (http://appshopper.com/productivity/yahoo-mail) on the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id577586159?mt=8)]

Yahoo! Weather is a free download (http://www.appshopper.com/weather/yahoo-weather) for the iPhone. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Yahoo Launches Standalone iPhone Weather App, Brings Dedicated Mail App to iPad (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/18/yahoo-launches-standalone-iphone-weather-app-brings-dedicated-mail-app-to-ipad/)

paul4339
Apr 18, 2013, 10:56 AM
They should make a better Yahoo finance app.

Feed Me
Apr 18, 2013, 10:57 AM
I've got too many weather apps :(

Razeus
Apr 18, 2013, 10:57 AM
Is this an update to the stock weather app, or a stand alone app from Yahoo? Looks nice, but I still don't understand the point of weather apps. The stock one does just fine. So does looking outside at the sky.

Dr McKay
Apr 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
Is this an update to the stock weather app, or a stand alone app from Yahoo? Looks nice, but I still don't understand the point of weather apps. The stock one does just fine. So does looking outside at the sky.

Apple designed the stock weather app, it just uses Yahoo for the weather data.

bostonsox
Apr 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
I prefer to look at the wind-chill temps which the stock app doesn't do. not sure where you are, but wind-chill changes the game sometimes in the north east.

pk7
Apr 18, 2013, 11:02 AM
The Yahoo Weather app is very well made. A keeper, in my opinion.

FSMBP
Apr 18, 2013, 11:04 AM
Amazing app...I love how it pulls down local pictures that accurately depict the weather conditions (I'm stuck in an office building all day :( ).

The UI is great; minimalistic but provides detailed info with a flick. This is the first time I've ever stopped using Apple's default weather app.

oneMadRssn
Apr 18, 2013, 11:06 AM
Why has it become status quo that weather apps have to use pictures of scenery in the background?

I think this trend started with HTC's weather app using rain drops and wiper blades and stuff on their Android skin. I liked it there, but it has become a bit irrelevant since then. I don't need scenery of rainy plains. I need numbers and trends, at a glance.

rmbpuser
Apr 18, 2013, 11:07 AM
why do people keep on making weather apps?
are so many people fools enough to use more than one? what now people have a folder named weather apps?
apples weather app works just fine, tells me the current weather and has forecasts what more do i need, seriously?

blizaine
Apr 18, 2013, 11:08 AM
wow, nice app. I'll be using this from now on.

RoastingPig
Apr 18, 2013, 11:09 AM
clean. looks like something off windows phones

HavocLink
Apr 18, 2013, 11:09 AM
Wow this app is sexy

jacobss
Apr 18, 2013, 11:10 AM
Nice looking app :)

nepalisherpa
Apr 18, 2013, 11:11 AM
I was just about to create a thread on this weather app after seeing it on Gizmodo. This app has replaced my previous weather app. Very beautifully designed. Simple layout with tons of information. Love it. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing this version as the stock app on iOS 7.

gotluck
Apr 18, 2013, 11:19 AM
are so many people fools enough to use more than one? what now people have a folder named weather apps?
apples weather app works just fine, tells me the current weather and has forecasts what more do i need, seriously?

I like to see wind direction and speed.

Tom8
The weather app is great. Until now I hadn't bothered downloading any other weather apps, but this one changed my mind. Really well made, makes Apple's own app look primitive in comparison.

Razeus
Looks like they forgot to update the icon. Yuck.

Drunken Master

Lol, this, I think I'm at four. There's no shortage of weather apps. Weather Dial is still the best looking one U have but Take Weather is fun because you and people in your area post photos of the local weather.

Not sure that anyone would want a standalone Yahoo email app.

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 18, 2013, 11:20 AM

More than 12 hours for an hourly forecast.

Snow accumulation. Seeing that it'll snow could mean 1" or 24" - one of those I can drive over, the other I'll have to be snow blowing the driveway 3 times during the storm to keep myself from being snowed in.

I'm okay with The Weather Channel app right now, but I'd really like to see an app that can show all the data in a more compact fashion. I have a sketch of the ideal weather app I would like, but I haven't found an API that offers everything I want and is cheap enough, yet.

GoCubsGo
Apr 18, 2013, 11:24 AM
I downloaded Solar (I think was the name) and it was pretty but didn't have the information I wanted. This is a slick ass app and it's replacing weatherbug for me right now.

Good work to Yahoo! devs.

Razeus
Apr 18, 2013, 11:25 AM
Nice way to integrate Flickr photos.

vtstarck
Apr 18, 2013, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know the source for Yahoo weather? Yahoo currently shows 64 for Washington, DC. The official station, DCA (the station of record) is reporting 66 - and has been for some time. Sadly, many cities are like this.

dxstewart
Apr 18, 2013, 11:38 AM
Probably just me, but I think the Sun & Moon part is kinda cool.

I'm hoping for an iPad version, just because I don't have an iPhone anymore.

baller1308
Apr 18, 2013, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know the source for Yahoo weather? Yahoo currently shows 64 for Washington, DC. The official station, DCA (the station of record) is reporting 66 - and has been for some time. Sadly, many cities are like this.
I think they get it from Weather.com aka The Weather Channel.

Cubert
Apr 18, 2013, 11:39 AM
clean. looks like something off windows phones

I agree. It does look like a Windows Phone app - right down to the font.
I'll try it but not sure I like that part of it.

nepalisherpa
Apr 18, 2013, 11:40 AM

Your needs do not reflect other people's needs. If you are fine with the stock weather app, good for you. Others want to see more.

pnoyblazed
Apr 18, 2013, 11:42 AM
been using the weather channel app for the longest... might give this a try

nburwell
Apr 18, 2013, 11:47 AM
I really like the UI on this app (although the app logo could use improving). However, I'm now up to 4 weather apps on my phone, including the stock weather app that I use everyday.

adztaylor
Apr 18, 2013, 11:53 AM
Really nice well made app. Apple should make this the stock app in iOS 7. But please give it a better icon.

nwcs
Apr 18, 2013, 11:56 AM

For some of these apps, I agree. But I use the Weather Channel's one because it has radar maps (very important in my area), longer forecasts, pollen and allergen maps, etc. More useful than the stock app. Same reason why people get Calendar, Notes, and Reminder apps instead of using the default ones. Sometimes they offer the features the basic ones don't.

roland.g
Apr 18, 2013, 11:57 AM
I use The Weather Channel app and would consider this too but I would really like to see Apple implement a choice like they do for Safari search engines, so that I can tell iOS which weather app to pull data from and launch from. That way the notification area for weather would be more useful.

darinc38122
Apr 18, 2013, 12:07 PM
Just deleted the TWC app. I have been looking for a replacement and this is it. The Apple Weather app, though better than it was originally, just doesn't offer enough information. This has everything I need except the annoying ads.

I would like to see an animated radar though. Maybe in the next version.

Great job!

bushido
Apr 18, 2013, 12:09 PM
did apple ever explain why the iPad has no default weather app? too lazy to make one?

nwcs
Apr 18, 2013, 12:13 PM
Just deleted the TWC app. I have been looking for a replacement and this is it. The Apple Weather app, though better than it was originally, just doesn't offer enough information. This has everything I need except the annoying ads.

I would like to see an animated radar though. Maybe in the next version.

Great job!

Actually I may do the very same. I just downloaded this one and I gotta say it's nicely done.

cmChimera
Apr 18, 2013, 12:14 PM
Can we just have this app replace the stock app?

stridemat
Apr 18, 2013, 12:18 PM

Do they all tell you the same weather though? Pick and choose the most beneficial? :D

rwilliams
Apr 18, 2013, 12:20 PM
Can we just have this app replace the stock app?

I wish. I'd delete the stock weather app immediately if I could and use Yahoo's instead. This thing is gorgeous.

EricNau
Apr 18, 2013, 12:48 PM
This is a nice app; I'll be keeping it on my iPhone, but what I really need is this app on my iPad. Hopefully with time...

Karma*Police
Apr 18, 2013, 01:14 PM
Interesting... change "chain reaction" to "halo effect" and she could be describing Apple's business model... or at least the outcome of their business model, which is to create the best products in the world.

zosobao5150
Apr 18, 2013, 01:34 PM
I know that as I age, I am becoming stupid. I cannot find the radar and other maps that is supposedly within this app. I scroll all the way up/down, but nothing. What gives?

mrxak
Apr 18, 2013, 01:37 PM
Very clean, very pretty, but most importantly, responsive. The default weather app is very basic so I don't use it much (except through Siri). I've been using Wunderground's app, which has lots of useful info, but it's quite slow and the interface is a bit clunky in places. This weather app seems to have all the data I want, and all the speed.

----------

I know that as I age, I am becoming stupid. I cannot find the radar and other maps that is supposedly within this app. I scroll all the way up/down, but nothing. What gives?

Tap the map, it expands and gives you controls.

larrybeo
Apr 18, 2013, 01:40 PM
I paid for Weatherbug Elite! At first glance this appears WAY better! If everything Yahoo did was of this quality they would still be a player in the game!

HemOdd
Apr 18, 2013, 02:15 PM
The weather app is very nice, but they should change its icon.

zosobao5150
Apr 18, 2013, 02:20 PM
No map on mine

Tap the map, it expands and gives you controls.

BvizioN
Apr 18, 2013, 02:49 PM
I have never been bothered with weather apps, but after reading here i decided to give it a try. And it's going to stay on my phone! Very well designed.

IlliniDude
Apr 18, 2013, 03:07 PM
If you click on the flickr username it take you to their album. The picture they used for Chicago was posted in 2008. Not exactly "live" weather pics.

JZ Wire
Apr 18, 2013, 06:32 PM
If you click on the flickr username it take you to their album. The picture they used for Chicago was posted in 2008. Not exactly "live" weather pics.

They are not meant to be live weather pics. They are meant to simply be a representation of the weather in your area.

The apps description: "Beautiful photos that match your location, time of day, and current weather condition."

Anyway, I think the app is very well done. Simple, elegant, clean and just the right amount of info. If you need more, you can always scroll down and get the detailed stats on your local weather. Its definitely my #1 weather app right now.
I wish I could replace the stock weather app for this one!

Ngabo
Apr 18, 2013, 08:37 PM
Weather for iPhone and iPad is powered by Yahoo! Now it creates its own App, what is next? There is no need to use native app!!!!

bozzykid
Apr 18, 2013, 08:50 PM
did apple ever explain why the iPad has no default weather app? too lazy to make one?

Do you really want Apple to create an iPad app that looks as ugly as the iPhone version? I think most would be happy if they just removed the default one from the iPhone.

----------

Weather for iPhone and iPad is powered by Yahoo! Now it creates its own App, what is next? There is no need to use native app!!!!

I think Yahoo was not happy with the app Apple created and decided to do their own. My guess is the rumors of Yahoo and Apple talking several weeks ago is they wanted to use their own app in place of Apple's. And since Apple surely denied them, they submitted this app. Apple really needs to either create a way to replace default apps, or just remove the stock apps that Apple clearly doesn't spend anytime updating.

SCIONTX
Apr 18, 2013, 08:57 PM
Really nice and informative. Got rid of the stock weather widget in notification center. That doesn't even tell you wind information. I would like to know if wind is gusting up to 30 mph.

bobbyhayse
Apr 19, 2013, 12:23 AM
That's cool. Download it and enjoy it to make your lives more easier and keep to update.

itsamacthing
Apr 19, 2013, 03:54 AM
Great app, and another example of how stale Apple apps are. It's like Apple is asleep at the wheel in the iOS department.

roxxette
Apr 19, 2013, 04:58 AM
Sleek app, i think the icon looks cute too :p

Will love to have this on the lockscreen.

bushido
Apr 19, 2013, 05:48 AM
Do you really want Apple to create an iPad app that looks as ugly as the iPhone version? I think most would be happy if they just removed the default one from the iPhone.

----------

I think Yahoo was not happy with the app Apple created and decided to do their own. My guess is the rumors of Yahoo and Apple talking several weeks ago is they wanted to use their own app in place of Apple's. And since Apple surely denied them, they submitted this app. Apple really needs to either create a way to replace default apps, or just remove the stock apps that Apple clearly doesn't spend anytime updating.

let me put it this way ... i wish the notification center on the iPad had the weather widget integrated

Great app, and another example of how stale Apple apps are. It's like Apple is asleep at the wheel in the iOS department.

indeed, none of the stock apple apps have really changed since 2007. they were awesome back then but look dated now. a design of 2007 just doesnt work in 2013 anymore.

even the Facebook app looks like a masterpiece compared to something like the clock app

ck2875
Apr 19, 2013, 09:25 AM
Yahoo! Weather is a free download (http://www.appshopper.com/weather/yahoo-weather) for the iPhone. [Direct Link]

Maybe I'm too literal, but I consider "Direct Link" to mean "a direct link to the App Store" and not an indirect link to a middle-man website (AppShopper) that makes money off of iTunes Partner Program referrals.

Nightarchaon
Apr 19, 2013, 10:43 AM
Ok, if this is the "Flat Look" that iOS would adopt throughout it be up for it, image all of iOS looking this good.

jphealy
Apr 19, 2013, 12:02 PM
Very nice app, but:
What's the deal with the single pixel purple line at the top of the screen? Doesn't look intentional to me.

Also, for some reason, this app won't update on my home wifi!! Very strange. My data connection on my home wifi is working perfectly fine, but this app just won't update when it's connected to it. I have to switch wifi off to get it to update over the cellular network.

I'm heading over to my parents house shortly, so I can test whether it works on their wifi.

Does anybody have any idea why a specific app would not be able to get data over a wifi network, when everything else is working fine?

Thanks

nepalisherpa
Apr 19, 2013, 01:52 PM
Very nice app, but:
What's the deal with the single pixel purple line at the top of the screen? Doesn't look intentional to me.

Also, for some reason, this app won't update on my home wifi!! Very strange. My data connection on my home wifi is working perfectly fine, but this app just won't update when it's connected to it. I have to switch wifi off to get it to update over the cellular network.

I'm heading over to my parents house shortly, so I can test whether it works on their wifi.

Does anybody have any idea why a specific app would not be able to get data over a wifi network, when everything else is working fine?

Thanks

No clue...it updates for me both on Wifi and LTE.

jphealy
Apr 19, 2013, 06:06 PM
Well, it worked fine at my parents house on their wifi - so it must be something to do with my wifi network specifically. I'm totally confused here. Don't know where to start to try and fix.

gotluck
Apr 19, 2013, 09:33 PM
agreed this is sweet
needs a new icon as said before :)

locoboi187
Apr 22, 2013, 01:13 PM
Is there a jailbreak tweak that I can use to make the notification weather open a different app when I tap on it?

Razeus
Apr 22, 2013, 04:20 PM
Weather app has made it to my first page apps. All paid apps have been deleted.

TMSM
Apr 25, 2013, 06:51 PM
Native? HTML5? Hybrid?

nepalisherpa
Apr 25, 2013, 07:47 PM
Native? HTML5? Hybrid?

It has to be native code but what's your purpose for asking?

tranceking26
Apr 26, 2013, 08:46 PM
This app is actually very good, I like the details and the looks. Trouble is until I get a data plan on PAYG again I can't use it out and about ;-)

Oh and it's free too with no adverts. No adverts means it's staying :p

TMSM
Apr 27, 2013, 11:32 AM
It has to be native code but what's your purpose for asking?

Was wondering if native if it used any openly available libraries, or if it was all proprietary code.

Toltepeceno
Apr 27, 2013, 11:55 AM

Some of us have not fully accepted that everything should fit YOUR needs and likes and still cling to the idea that we have our own.

nancyfromafrica
May 1, 2013, 08:09 AM
yahoo money and finance apps will greatly benefit users of iPhone.

dcodea
Jun 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
I'm having the same problem someone earlier in the thread had - I downloaded this app when it won the design awards, but there are not maps anywhere in the map. I scroll through all the details, and nowhere is there any map of any kind. I am using an iPhone 4, latest iOS. Yahoo support is useless, they don't respond to anything.

nepalisherpa
Jun 13, 2013, 11:25 AM
I was just about to create a thread on this weather app after seeing it on Gizmodo. This app has replaced my previous weather app. Very beautifully designed. Simple layout with tons of information. Love it. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing this version as the stock app on iOS 7.

LOL...looks like I nailed this. What iOS 7 has is pretty much modified Yahoo! Weather app with Apple's touches.