Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonjd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
Hey,

So, I switched over to a MBA a few months ago and one thing I still can't figure out how to do, if at all possible, is to arrange files by type and alphabetically in finder and to have them all in list view. Ideally, I would like to be able to apply this setting to all existing folders and new ones that I may make. It would also be great if I could automatically have it applied to all folders, including system folders.

Is this possible? If not, is there a third party Finder replacement that will allow me to do this?

Thanks in advance.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
If I understand you correctly, you're looking for the list view in finder. If you select it, and then click on "Kind" once, it should automatically sort all files in the folder you're looking at by their kinds and also alphabetically.

See the attached screenshot if you don't understand.

edit: ehm, and I don't know if it's possible to apply it to all folders. But if you do it once, the computer should remember it itself, at least in that one folder....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 8.27.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 8.27.23 PM.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 127
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.