PDA

View Full Version : Nomad 3-Inch Lightning Cable Now Available for Preorder, Shipping in June

MacRumors
Apr 18, 2013, 05:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/18/nomad-lightning-cable-now-available-for-preorder-shipping-in-june/)

The Nomad Lightning Cable (http://keroproducts.mivamerchant.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=keroproducts&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NMD2013), a 3-inch Lightning to USB cable, was a spectacular success (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/29/nomad-wants-to-make-a-3-apple-certified-lightning-cable-for-your-keychain/) when it hit Kickstarter back in November and now it is available for preorder (http://keroproducts.mivamerchant.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=keroproducts&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NMD2013) for $24.99. Orders placed now are expected to be shipped in June.A 3" Apple certified lightning USB cable for your key ring. Sync/Charge capability. The Nomad cable is perfect for use at work, in the car, at home, or anywhere on the go - it's there when you need it!http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/nomad.jpg
The team behind the Nomad worked directly with Apple, which means this is a fully Apple-certified Lightning accessory. The USB side of the Nomad locks into a keychain adapter, which makes it convenient to carry in a pocket alongside a set of keys.

Article Link: Nomad 3-Inch Lightning Cable Now Available for Preorder, Shipping in June (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/18/nomad-lightning-cable-now-available-for-preorder-shipping-in-june/)

Koodauw
Apr 18, 2013, 05:09 PM
Nice. I had a similar one for the dock connector. Very handy to keep in the back pack.

for $25 I may hold off for a bit though.

KylePowers
Apr 18, 2013, 05:10 PM
I would like to do this with the HDMI (Digital AV) adapter. Please provide investment capital. PM for paypal address ;)

But really.. a mobile HDMI adapter of this size would be awesome

EDIT: Didn't even notice the $25 price. I could just cut and splice an official (or knock-off) cable for much cheaper.

SAIRUS
Apr 18, 2013, 05:12 PM
Wouldn't a naked iPhone get scratched up by the keys? No thank you.

Portable HDMI? YES PLEASE!

CrazyForApple
Apr 18, 2013, 05:16 PM

Portable HDMI? YES PLEASE! You obviously can't charge a phone by keys so why would you have your iPhone connected to it????? The key ring is just carry it around.

Rocko1
Apr 18, 2013, 05:20 PM
$25? Are they on crack? $4 cable off ebay. Keep wrapped up in wallet/car/briefcase/etc. Done.

R-Flow
Apr 18, 2013, 05:20 PM
They have some nerve asking 19 for this.

RoastingPig
Apr 18, 2013, 05:22 PM
3 inch only this would be better if it was retractable

mrsir2009
Apr 18, 2013, 05:28 PM
Wouldn't a naked iPhone get scratched up by the keys?

No... Because you unplug the adaptor from the keys when you want to use it to charge your iPhone ;)

Chuck-Norris
Apr 18, 2013, 05:38 PM
25 dollars, my as well buy the one made by apple

jtrenthacker
Apr 18, 2013, 05:47 PM
Did I miss something? Is this a Monster cable? By this logic a 3 footer would be $300!!!

MikBe
Apr 18, 2013, 06:00 PM

No because the iPhone has Gorilla Glass. I have my keys in my pocket with the phone all the time and never a scratch.

You can see some real world tests by going to YouTube and searching for "scratch test gorilla glass.'

jshbckr
Apr 18, 2013, 06:01 PM
Everyone, please don't tell me that the concept of portability is completely lost on you...

Yes, it's $25. Yes, that's $25 for a very short cable. It's the same reason you pay several hundred dollars for a cell phone that isn't nearly as powerful as a laptop you could buy for about the same amount of money. Because it's portable. It's comfortable to have in your pocket whenever you need it. You're going to pay more for that convenience.

Dor Levy
Apr 18, 2013, 06:04 PM
Everyone, please don't tell me that the concept of portability is completely lost on you...

Yes, it's $25. Yes, that's $25 for a very short cable. It's the same reason you pay several hundred dollars for a cell phone that isn't nearly as powerful as a laptop you could buy for about the same amount of money. Because it's portable. It's comfortable to have in your pocket whenever you need it. You're going to pay more for that convenience.

The difference is that short cable means less material used. When you are talking about hardware in general, its harder to make things smaller.

jtrenthacker
Apr 18, 2013, 06:04 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they spent millions of dollars on r&d to come up with a shorter cable. I think $9.99 would be a fair price.

xxnemoxx
Apr 18, 2013, 06:05 PM
Dude Chinese suppliers have been selling these for $4 lol

(Yes, I've tried them & didn't have a problem with them SO FAR)
:)

HooRide
Apr 18, 2013, 06:09 PM
Did I miss something? Is this a Monster cable? By this logic a 3 footer would be $300!!!

The wire is the least expensive component in the cable. The two connectors and the IC are the bulk of the cost.

bacaramac
Apr 18, 2013, 06:15 PM
Eh, guess I'm not in need of this, but can someone please come up with a Male Lightning to Female Lightning extended length cable that support all pins. I want to extend the lightning side of my HDMI Digital AV Adapter and the ONLY place I can find a cable is on eBay from Hong Kong. Come on Apple, either you do it or allow someone to do it.

I have Pioneer Navi unit and the only way to use Advanced App Mode with iPhone 5 is the HDMI Digital AV Adapter.

needfx
Apr 18, 2013, 06:34 PM
great! got the cable, time to order the phone.. or not..

Toltepeceno
Apr 18, 2013, 06:41 PM
No because the iPhone has Gorilla Glass. I have my keys in my pocket with the phone all the time and never a scratch.

You can see some real world tests by going to YouTube and searching for "scratch test gorilla glass.'

Uh, and the aluminum? I'm guessing that's what was being referred to.

AbSoluTc
Apr 18, 2013, 06:59 PM
I don't get it? :confused:

ftaok
Apr 18, 2013, 07:01 PM
ut can someone please come up with a Male Lightning to Female Lightning extended length cable that support all pins. I want to extend the lightning side of my HDMI Digital AV Adapter

OK. I'll bite. Why do you need to extend the adapter on the lightning side. Why not get a longer HDMI cable?

ThunderSkunk
Apr 18, 2013, 07:26 PM
Thunderbolt version pleaaaaaase?

Don't care that its not faster, I'd just like to charge my iDevice without it hogging one of the precious few USB ports on the MBP.

Bubba Satori
Apr 18, 2013, 07:28 PM
$25? Are they on crack? $4 cable off ebay. Keep wrapped up in wallet/car/briefcase/etc. Done.

They know they won't sell many at even half that price, so they
figure they might as well bend over the few Waldos who have to
have it no matter what it costs. Low volume, high margin, low hanging fruit.
Nice racket.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 18, 2013, 07:43 PM
3 inch? Is that practical? The only thing that is unique about this versus some generic knock-off or even the official Apple cable is the USB cap that attaches to a key ring. But I can buy a cap like that for $1 on eBay. Maybe it won't look as nice but seriously...

eject
Apr 18, 2013, 07:55 PM
personally I love it, it would be so handy for me to have on my keys. It's a fully certified Apple version, so in theory you know it'll last, I'll have lightning connection devices for the next foreseeable few years - so it's worth while for me to have. Expensive yes, but a Chinese version of the cable that may stop working and always gets forgotten in a draw isn't going to do the trick for me. just saying.

----------

3 inch? Is that practical? The only thing that is unique about this versus some generic knock-off or even the official Apple cable is the USB cap that attaches to a key ring. But I can buy a cap like that for $1 on eBay. Maybe it won't look as nice but seriously...

I agree with you, but as you said it won't look as nice.. and if it's on my keys I want something clean to sit nicely with my Jaguar key... (sadly, I drive a family fiat)

InfoTime
Apr 18, 2013, 08:09 PM
Don't know why none of the posters here don't get it. Here's why it's worth $25

Apple certified means that it's less likely to burn up your $500 iPhone
it's not a normal cable - it's a keychain accessory that you'll always have with you
having it with you is important now because lightning connectors are new and rare - you probably can't borrow one from a friend when your phone is about to die - but there's a crapload of 30 pin dock connectors lying around
total cost of materials and manufacturing for a 3' cable vs a 3" cable is probably about the same. In fact the 3" might cost more because of it's small size. The amount of extra material used is negligible.

output555
Apr 18, 2013, 08:14 PM
So because they worked closely with Apple to create a shorter Lightening cable that justifies a $25 price tag? Gosh, I guess they must have been constantly flying back and forth to Cupertino testing the optimum length and spending millions on copper wire samples to get it just right. I think what Nomad really researched was how Apple manages to overcharge for the most simple devices.

MikBe
Apr 18, 2013, 08:14 PM
Uh, and the aluminum? I'm guessing that's what was being referred to.

If you follow the chain, not just pick a comment out of context, it's pretty obvious he's talking about the face but it's an excellent point about the aluminum body. I use a soft shell case that's wafer thin so forget that it's even there (Rocketfish Mobile - Soft Shell Case for Apple iPhone 5 - Black/Clear).

bretm
Apr 18, 2013, 08:24 PM
If you follow the chain, not just pick a comment out of context, it's pretty obvious he's talking about the face but it's an excellent point about the aluminum body. I use a soft shell case that's wafer thin so forget that it's even there (Rocketfish Mobile - Soft Shell Case for Apple iPhone 5 - Black/Clear).

He said "naked" iPhone. That is referring to it not having a case. Cases don't protect the screen. Therefore the worry is about the keys scratching the aluminum. Which of course has been proven to scratch even before you take it out of the box.

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 18, 2013, 08:40 PM
So because they worked closely with Apple to create a shorter Lightening cable that justifies a $25 price tag? Gosh, I guess they must have been constantly flying back and forth to Cupertino testing the optimum length and spending millions on copper wire samples to get it just right. I think what Nomad really researched was how Apple manages to overcharge for the most simple devices.

No, they have to buy a certified lightning connector from Apple. That connector costs them in the $15-$20 range. Then they have to spend a penny on a bit of copper and plastic. Beyond that is their revenue, which pays them and any overhead from the cable (IE, sending people fixed units if any break and providing other customer services.)

kd5jos
Apr 18, 2013, 09:10 PM

Okay, so your stand is that the difference of 600% is represented in portability. The average desktop sells for $650 (several online sources stated this). So using this logic the average price of a portable version (a laptop) would cost $3900. Which would make a cell phone unattainable for anyone not in the top 1% of income earners in this country.

200% or $8 would be reasonable. You'll notice it matches scale (average price of a laptop closer to $1300). $24 is ridiculous.

jshbckr
Apr 18, 2013, 09:30 PM
Okay, so your stand is that the difference of 600% is represented in portability. The average desktop sells for $650 (several online sources stated this). So using this logic the average price of a portable version (a laptop) would cost $3900. Which would make a cell phone unattainable for anyone not in the top 1% of income earners in this country.

200% or $8 would be reasonable. You'll notice it matches scale (average price of a laptop closer to $1300). $24 is ridiculous.

To make your math correct, you'd have to take all of the power and functionality of that desktop computer and put it into the cell phone. So really, I think if you could make a cell phone as powerful as that desktop computer, it may very well cost that much--if it were even possible at all.

I would say that the $5 extra this cable costs is worth the convenience of its size. Sure, I could buy the full Apple cable for $19 but that's not what I want at all, I want a short cable that I can put on my keys and take everywhere with me. That convenience is worth a surcharge equal to a fancy cup of coffee.

Mr. Chewbacca
Apr 18, 2013, 09:31 PM
I paid 20.00 for one on kick starter just as the iPhone 5 was released. The ship date was Feb of this year. Now that I have several lightning cables I dont care as much. Still think it will be cool to have

Lunchb0x8
Apr 18, 2013, 09:40 PM
Meh, I carry a normal Lightning cable in my bag for syncing on the go, and keep one in my car for charging my phone when I know the trip I am about to embark on could be the last of my battery.

nikicampos
Apr 18, 2013, 09:51 PM
First, if someone finds this amazing or great or perfect, that's fine, but for me it's so dumb.

You can buy an extra 3.25 feet Apple official cable for $19.99 to have in the office or in the go, the one that came with the iPhone could be sitting at home, so, you have two.

You can take the extra one, 3.25 feet long to your office, to your car and plug it into usb car charger.

And here's the most amazing thing, for 5 dollars less than this 3 inch whatever cable, you have the ability to talk and use your phone while it charges.

Squilly
Apr 18, 2013, 10:06 PM
Was thinking about this earlier. Maybe Apple has a set price that third party manufacturers have to set as prices (ie. must be above the standard $20 for something not officially made by Apple).

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 18, 2013, 10:17 PM
personally I love it, it would be so handy for me to have on my keys. It's a fully certified Apple version, so in theory you know it'll last, I'll have lightning connection devices for the next foreseeable few years - so it's worth while for me to have. Expensive yes, but a Chinese version of the cable that may stop working and always gets forgotten in a draw isn't going to do the trick for me. just saying.

----------

I agree with you, but as you said it won't look as nice.. and if it's on my keys I want something clean to sit nicely with my Jaguar key... (sadly, I drive a family fiat)

I don't see why you'd need to carry it with you everywhere. Have a spare in the car. If this also included a charger that plugs into a wall outlet, that'd be more useful and more worth the price. But this is JUST A CABLE. It's also too short to use anywhere, at least the places I go to. Work, car, home.

Don't know why none of the posters here don't get it. Here's why it's worth $25

Apple certified means that it's less likely to burn up your $500 iPhone
it's not a normal cable - it's a keychain accessory that you'll always have with you
having it with you is important now because lightning connectors are new and rare - you probably can't borrow one from a friend when your phone is about to die - but there's a crapload of 30 pin dock connectors lying around
total cost of materials and manufacturing for a 3' cable vs a 3" cable is probably about the same. In fact the 3" might cost more because of it's small size. The amount of extra material used is negligible.

Apple themselves sell a cable that is certified by Apple (obviously). It's $20. If you're a female and carry a purse, just carry the $20 one that is longer. Won't kill you because it's longer. If you're a dude and don't carry a purse, stash an extra in the car. Using this in the car is pretty much not happening since your phone will dangle from wherever the charger is (most likely the cigarette lighter). If you have a newer car with a USB port or some setup so that the phone can be placed on a surface that is close to the charging source, congratulations to you. Using this at work is kind of a bust. Most workplaces use desktops with USB ports located in the back. Even if you have USB ports on the front of a desktop, you might not have a place to rest your phone on since this cable is only 3 inches long. My desktop at work has USB ports located near the middle of the front of the tower. If I plug this in, my phone will dangle from my tower. If you use a laptop stand, your phone will dangle. If you use a laptop, that might work. Where can you possibly use this cable? Wall outlet? Even those are located more than 3 inches above the floor so your phone will dangle while charging. Sometimes less is better. This isn't one of those times.

Your last point just doesn't make sense. Why would cost of materials make this $25 cable worth more than a $20 cable that is longer and more inherently useful? If we don't factor in length, you're paying $5 for a USB cap WHILE the Lightning end of the cable is still unprotected and exposed to the world. No thanks. This cable is 100% useless in my opinion. It's too short for it's own good.

----------

Was thinking about this earlier. Maybe Apple has a set price that third party manufacturers have to set as prices (ie. must be above the standard $20 for something not officially made by Apple).

Not true. Amazon sells a Lightning cable that is 100% Apple certified for $14.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Lightning-Compatible-Cable-Meter/dp/B009SYZ8OC

Monoprice also sells various Lightning cables that are 100% Apple certified for even less than Amazon.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=lightning

I stand by what I said. This 3" long cable is completely useless AND ridiculously expensive. You can't use it anywhere. My phone would hang from the dash if I used this in my car. Same thing at home and at work. You're paying $5-$10 for inconvenience and a USB cap with a keyring hole. The lightning end of the cable is still open for the world to abuse.

zipster
Apr 18, 2013, 10:19 PM
Is this a joke? I bought a 6 inch cable (USB/30-pin) for my iPhone by accident once and it's a complete waste. No practicality at all.

I've never heard anyone say they wish their cable was shorter and definitely not for $25.

Bye.

quietstormSD
Apr 18, 2013, 11:19 PM
:confused:$25? Are they on crack? $4 cable off ebay. Keep wrapped up in wallet/car/briefcase/etc. Done.

I've tried to get cables from ebay. But they either end up falling apart after a month, or data sync doesn't work. Kinda frustrating. So I can see why someone would pay $25. But I agree, it should be something more reasonable like $9.99.

I had so much trouble with my iPod shuffle cables that I got from Ebay. I eventually got the nerve to pay $19 for the Apple iPod shuffle cables (came with 2, one long one and one short one). Since it was getting to the point of buying cheap cables from Ebay that kept on crapping out was getting close to being $19 anyway

CylonGlitch
Apr 18, 2013, 11:21 PM
Buy them from China for a buck or two (Link on Alibaba (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/729058591/USB_mini_8_Pin_Cable_Short.html)), buy cap for a few cents. Sell for $25, make a killing.

People are stupid to buy this.

quietstormSD
Apr 18, 2013, 11:24 PM
Is this a joke? I bought a 6 inch cable (USB/30-pin) for my iPhone by accident once and it's a complete waste. No practicality at all.

I've never heard anyone say they wish their cable was shorter and definitely not for $25.

Bye.

You know what they say about guys with short cables.

MikBe
Apr 18, 2013, 11:24 PM
Cases don't protect the screen

Took me about two seconds to find these:

Otterbox (http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-5-Armor-Series-Case/apl10-iphone-5,default,pd.html)

Lifeproof (http://www.lifeproof.com/en/iphone-5/specs/)

JoEw
Apr 19, 2013, 01:52 AM
They can't make these things in high bulk like apple can with the long cord, thus higher price tag, the low demand.

It's a niche market. If you find it useful, $25 graphed on a supply/demand curve seems reasonable.

CynanX
Apr 19, 2013, 01:54 AM
I carry a micro to 30 pin, connected to a 30 pin to lighting adaptor in my wallet. Now no matter where I go I can always charge my phone in an emergency as there is always someone else who has a micro or 30 pin cable laying around. A much smaller solution in my opinion, though just as expensive or more. But hey ho. It's worth it to me as a I don't want to carry an actual cable around with me. A cable in the car is a good solution too but I don't always have the car with me. Just sayin' :)

92jlee
Apr 19, 2013, 02:07 AM
I can't see anywhere this would be useful. The only time I might need a cable is in work, 3" isn't long enough to put the phone on the desktop and bend the cable to the USB ports on the front..

Can someone give me a real world example where you would need this product? I thought "ill just splice one of my eBay cables that I paid 3 for" but I don't have a use for such a short cable. Longer cable however, many uses. Paid 5 free shipping for a 2 meter.

the8thark
Apr 19, 2013, 02:51 AM
The team behind the Nomad worked directly with Apple, which means this is a fully Apple-certified Lightning accessory. The USB side of the Nomad locks into a keychain adapter, which makes it convenient to carry in a pocket alongside a set of keys.

I would want a cover for the lightning end of the cable. I'd be worried the keys would scratch that end up a lot.

alphaod
Apr 19, 2013, 04:04 AM
I simply do not understand why almost every third-party cable that looks "official" is priced more than the Apple one.

I go to the Apple Store and I see a couple options on the rack. All of them are prices at $25 whereas the Apple branded one is priced at only $20. This isn't just at the Apple Store. I see this at Best Buy, etc.

EDIT: Let's put it this way—I can pay $20 for the Apple microUSB-to-Lightning adapter and buy a retractable microUSB cable all for less than $25. I would have something compact and it would work with both Apple and non-Apple devices.

The Phazer
Apr 19, 2013, 05:55 AM
I simply do not understand why almost every third-party cable that looks "official" is priced more than the Apple one.

Because Apple's licensing costs for Lightning are designed to create exactly that situation, which is why Lightning exists in the first place?

Jamo12
Apr 19, 2013, 07:37 AM
Just asked my girlfriend how much she would pay for this, no background info on price or anything. Showed the picture and asked how much. She said $20 with no hesitation. She is mildly tech illiterate, so I would peg her as the average consumer. It is $25 because people will pay it. That is the worth of anything; how much people will pay.

rtdunham
Apr 19, 2013, 07:54 AM
Is this a joke? I bought a 6 inch cable (USB/30-pin) for my iPhone by accident once and it's a complete waste. No practicality at all

I use a 6" on my MBA to sync my phone and iPad at my desk. Lays flat beside the device and does the job without extra clutter on my desktop. I carry 6-inchers in the slim pockets on my iPad and MBA cases so when traveling I can transfer pics to/from devices for editing before sending or just for backup storage on long trips.

I don't object to those challenging the price, though some seem obsessive about calculating what should be the "true" price.

I do find it funny/odd that so many seem so sure of their own ability-or right-to decide what might offer practical uses for others. Those people seem very full of themselves. I don't think they'd make very good friends, telling me with absolute certainty what I should want for breakfast or what I should want to wear.

I'm just sayin'

rkoshack
Apr 19, 2013, 09:47 AM
Isn't there a problem having the lightning end of the cable exposed? Won't it get damaged constantly rubbing up against your keys in your pocket?

SAIRUS
Apr 19, 2013, 10:01 AM

Mostly I was inferring that people would use it as an attachment to their keys, thus another thing to hang off their keys.

Yeah the front is alright, but the aluminum on black iPhone 5 scratches easier.

chorner
Apr 19, 2013, 10:56 AM
The reason this thing is so expensive is that the materials for the cable itself are much cheaper than the chip inside the Thunderbolt cable itself responsible for negotiating the connection.

Still seems like a big price for something so tiny, but if you use this for the next 3-4 years and it really comes in handy I doubt $25 is going to stop someone.

iGrip
Apr 19, 2013, 11:22 AM
The wire is the least expensive component in the cable. The two connectors and the IC are the bulk of the cost.

My guess is that the licensing fee collected by Apple is the single most expensive aspect of the cable. Otherwise, I would think that it would cost less than $1 to make.

----------

Because third parties pay huge licensing fees to apple, but Apple pays $0 licensing fees to Apple.

bacaramac
Apr 19, 2013, 12:45 PM
OK. I'll bite. Why do you need to extend the adapter on the lightning side. Why not get a longer HDMI cable?

Because in the car you have HDMI and Lightning charging cable giving you the length you need to run from back of Appradio 2 to console where phone sits. Then those plug into AV Adapter and a very short cable off of lightning adapter plugs into phone. So I have this big bulky and ugly adapter plugged into my phone.

iThinkIt
Apr 19, 2013, 12:46 PM
Dude Chinese suppliers have been selling these for $4 lol

(Yes, I've tried them & didn't have a problem with them SO FAR)
:)

yep... dx.com / http://dx.com/c/iphone-ipad-ipod-299/cables-202

j.applewood
Apr 19, 2013, 12:50 PM
Why is anyone freaking out about the price? People pay $1.20 for a 20oz Coke when they could pay $0.99 for a 2 liter. Folks don't want to carry a 2 liter around just because it's the better deal. Same thing here.

ctdonath
Apr 19, 2013, 01:05 PM
Why would cost of materials make this $25 cable worth more than a $20 cable that is longer and more inherently useful?
Because :apple: buys the Lightning in-cable electronics by the millions while this little startup is getting a few thousand (hundred?), plus the latter paying per-item licensing plus the positive-lock endcap, ergo the latter's per-item cost will be distinctly higher, more than the savings of less wire. It's also a rare item which some people will pay more for - I sure don't like multi-feet wires occupying my pockets & bags, and indeed will pay more for the same functionality in a compact form; a vital cable small enough to hang on my keychain ensures I don't have to take my bag everywhere to carry cables 12x longer than I need.

That aside...just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it's not worth its price to other people. The fact that it was a successful Kickstarter means there's a lot of people who do want such a thing.
If you don't want one, you're probably not in the intended audience. Celebrate diversity.

Denzo
Apr 19, 2013, 01:13 PM
I just got 2x iPhone 5 cables, delivered to my house in Sydney for $3.99AUD from eBay.

$25 for this little stump.. yeah ok man.. principles.. Ill pay for the BMW.. but not the oil or petrol.. its just how things work.. And save yourself the ********.. thats my opinion and I believe it.

dysamoria
Apr 19, 2013, 01:15 PM
Why does everyone put the keychain attachment on the least expensive and least important part, so that the rest can be lost as soon as there's a slight tug on it? I see this with flash drives too. It makes no sense at all. The keychain loop should be on the part you don't want to lose! Don't tell me that the cap is tight and can't fall off. Even if it starts off tight, regular use and material fatigue changes that. And if you keep your keys in a front pants pocket, sitting down can introduce just as much tugging force as intentionally pulling it apart.

Also: 3 inches... Is that even going to sit level on a desk? There's no length to move the thing around at all. Better have room next to the laptop for the phone to stick straight out, and you better not need to move the laptop around any. Definitely not a "portable solution" when in actual use.

And: $25? Wow. Out of any sense of proportion.

SockRolid
Apr 19, 2013, 01:16 PM
I am considering developing an external 3.5" floppy disk drive for iOS devices.
With all the benefits of high-density 1.44MB disk capacity, ultra-compact 3.5"
form factor, and a durable plastic shell to protect the media from damage.
PM me $1000 for priority delivery of one of the first shipping units.
/s

rgarjr
Apr 19, 2013, 02:05 PM
Isn't there a problem having the lightning end of the cable exposed? Won't it get damaged constantly rubbing up against your keys in your pocket?

Yeah it will get beaten up after a while. I suppose it would still work like that but I prefer to keep them clean.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 19, 2013, 05:22 PM
Because :apple: buys the Lightning in-cable electronics by the millions while this little startup is getting a few thousand (hundred?), plus the latter paying per-item licensing plus the positive-lock endcap, ergo the latter's per-item cost will be distinctly higher, more than the savings of less wire. It's also a rare item which some people will pay more for - I sure don't like multi-feet wires occupying my pockets & bags, and indeed will pay more for the same functionality in a compact form; a vital cable small enough to hang on my keychain ensures I don't have to take my bag everywhere to carry cables 12x longer than I need.

That aside...just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it's not worth its price to other people. The fact that it was a successful Kickstarter means there's a lot of people who do want such a thing.
If you don't want one, you're probably not in the intended audience. Celebrate diversity.

I'm asking people who want it where they would use it. I'm curious. I stated that it doesn't work for me but I would like to know who it works for and in what kind of scenario.

Where would you use it? In every place that I could possibly charge my phone, my phone will end up dangling from the dash of my car, from the USB ports on my work desktop, etc. It doesn't seem stable and it makes me uncomfortable to see my phone hanging vertically and the only force is tension from the Lightning port. I'm simply curious what I'm missing.

Mochan
Apr 19, 2013, 07:21 PM
Short cables for are awesome. Short cables for $25, is a joke.

Two years ago I bought a Griffin set of short cables off Amazon for about $15.

I got three short cables, like the one you got here: 1 Mini USB, 1 Micro USB, and 1 30Pin Apple Connector.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-GC17097-USB-Mini-Cable/dp/B003T5KXJQ

These were awesome cables because they were so stall and fit into my minimalist kits. I could bring them anywhere, and coupled with a small battery I was never out of charging options for my gadgets (except the Samsung Galaxy Tab, which had its own proprietary connector, ugh).

I paid $15 for all three of them. So forgive me laughing at this very useful but insanely overpriced hunk of crap of $25.

Those saying smaller is more expensive... that counts for electronic parts being crammed into a smaller shell. It doesn't apply here, where all you need to make it smaller is to cut the cable shorter.

My solution? I bought a $5 Micro USB to Lightning connector. Then I attach it to my existing short Griffin Micro USB cable. Total cost? $20 for three cables and the adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Micro-female-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B009VH56FM

I'm doing something right because my solution is cheaper than the price of this overpriced hunk of crap, and I got more out of it to boot.

alphaod
Apr 19, 2013, 08:44 PM
Because Apple's licensing costs for Lightning are designed to create exactly that situation, which is why Lightning exists in the first place?

Because third parties pay huge licensing fees to apple, but Apple pays $0 licensing fees to Apple.

I thought about that, but didn't really buy it.

If Amazon and Monoprice can make and sell them cheaper than Apple, why can't everyone else. At least price them the same.

Max Book
Apr 19, 2013, 10:21 PM
Not ragging on the people that like this cable. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Here's mine:

WTF?! I just don't see the utility of a 3" cable. Portability is the only feature at the expense of length, which to me is more important considering that whenever I've been out and about and needed to charge my iPhone I've always needed the extra length provided by the 30-pin to Lightning adapter that I have attached to a 30-pin cable. I can't imagine having my iPhone dangling precariously from the wall by the 3-incher, not to mention the loss of use since I won't be able to reach it from my seat.

Like others have stated, just bring a full-size cable with you in your bag, or leave one in the car, or roll one up and put it in your pocket.

Re: the cost, yes, I bought the overpriced 30-pin to Lightning adapter. That said, I've used it frequently enough to (somewhat) justify its cost. I can't imagine getting the same use out of the Nomad to justify paying $25.

But to each his or her own.

Quazimojo
Apr 19, 2013, 11:16 PM
You are paying $5 for the cable and $20 for the little thing that attaches to your key chain.

Friggin genius .

VoR
Apr 20, 2013, 08:03 AM
My guess is that the licensing fee collected by Apple is the single most expensive aspect of the cable. Otherwise, I would think that it would cost less than $1 to make.

You can buy things like a Bluetooth transceiver with a separate USB extension lead for 99c including delivery from Hong Kong - I think you're massively overestimating the cost of manufacture for peripherals like this :)

CynanX
Apr 20, 2013, 08:05 AM
It's not the cost of manufacturing but the licensing cost Apple is charging that drives up official third party devices.

3goldens
Apr 20, 2013, 08:52 AM
Price sucks, yes, but the design sucks as well.

Why would they not have protected the most critical part from all the crap it would encounter in your pocket or where ever else your keys happen to land.

And I agree the 25 bucks is reflective to the ransom Apple charges to be certified.

jclardy
Apr 20, 2013, 09:11 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they spent millions of dollars on r&d to come up with a shorter cable. I think $9.99 would be a fair price.

No, but they do have to pay to become Apple certified. If they were on Apple store shelves they might be able to charge something cheaper, but no way they undercut Apple by $9.99. If they are online only they will just be a niche product and have to have some kind of margin to stay afloat.

Amazon and Monoprice have cheaper cables, but that is just because they already have manufacturing in place - their sunk costs are long since paid for. They also have prominent storefronts for selling them.

The real travesty is that Apple's own lightning cable is $20.

auhagen
Apr 20, 2013, 11:02 AM
Awwwwwww :(

When i read the topic, I started thinking it was a thunderbolt to USB3 adapter for 25$. So I was clapping my hands until i saw the "charging/syncin" part :(

Hoko222
Apr 20, 2013, 01:04 PM
I'm a financial advisor. And I constantly here people ask the wrong questions when it comes to worth. You are all asking "is it worth it?". It's amazing to me why no one realizes that is the wrong question. The question that should be asked is "Is this worth it to me?". That is the only question that matters. Every ones situation is different, incomes, family's and priorities. Now though in this instance we are talking about a 3" cable, the idea is still the same, is $25 worth it to me. For me, my cell phone allows me to make a living, as I use it for my business and my business calls. I have chargers everywhere, office, car, many around the house, as with out a charged phone I don't make money. Being that I can't think of an instance that I'd need this cool little charger, I may pass for now. Where would this come in handy is an important question too, in fact I'm asking my self that now. For me and me only, I can only think is if I spent the night at a friends house who didn't have a new iPhone/ipad, and needed a charge. Given that I have a family, it's prob a pretty rare case that would happen, but u never know. I think this product is a very cool idea and looks to be well made. For those on fixed budgets and that don't use your phones for business, you are 100% correct in that this is not worth it "for you". But for those that need redundancy in charging of there business phone, and that have the funds to justify the $25, this is a great, smart and clever product. But to the main reason I am posting today, which I rarely ever do, just because some think is not worth it to you, doesn't me it's not worth it to the rest of the planet.

thefourthpope
Apr 20, 2013, 01:08 PM
Seems like the biggest tech went into making a cover for the usb end

----------

You are all asking "is it worth it?". It's amazing to me why no one realizes that is the wrong question. The question that should be asked is "Is this worth it to me?".

All anyone on this site does do is ask if it's worth it to them. But they also conflate that question with "Is it worth it to anyone?" The assumption is, if it is/not worth it to me, it is/not worth it to anyone. :)
This particular product is not worth it to me, but only b/c I have a 4s. It is worth it to my wife, who has a 5.

Cougarcat
Apr 20, 2013, 01:31 PM
I prefer my cable to be seamlessly built into my case, like this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/swipecases/zopro-incredibly-thin-case-integrated-charging-iph

We'll see if it ever comes out, though. Still waiting...

Zerilos
Apr 20, 2013, 01:57 PM
I'm waiting for the 1" cable.

iSayuSay
Apr 20, 2013, 07:07 PM
As usual, Apple loves proprietary. Something as fancy as Lightning port just because they can charge more for another freckin add-ons and adapter, the more the merrier, huh?

30 pin dock was already annoying, but after 10 years of existence, and iPod/iPhone popularity it's become bearable.

Now when the time comes to do some changes, they come up with another hurdle called Lightning, while the name implies something high speed and complicated, it's actually even not USB 3 yet. Why?

And also, in real life usage, what benefit a Lightning port could bring instead of micro USB? Bet average people wouldn't know the answers.

rGiskard
Apr 21, 2013, 11:40 AM
Seems like the surest way to get an incoming call on my iPhone is to plug it in for charging. But that's no problem since I can just pick it up and take the call.

I guess one could unplug the 3" cable to take a call, but what if the charge is too low for that? And what advantage does 3" offer over a typical Apple cable? It's not like a two foot cable takes up any more space than a 3" cable once it's rolled up.

I'd consider this three incher a neat thing to have if it were five bucks. This is the sort of product that goes by the cash register to attrack low cost impulse buys. But at $25 it's not like I'd laugh at someone who has one...at least not out loud.

Hoko222
Apr 21, 2013, 01:04 PM
"Seems like the surest way to get an incoming call on my iPhone is to plug it in for charging"

I thought this was just me. If I wait for a call all day, it only comes when I walk away from it. Lol

Digital Dude
Apr 21, 2013, 02:59 PM
I see it but I simply don't get it. :confused:

lwapps
Apr 21, 2013, 04:15 PM

That's just completely wrong; it's not the same reason at all. When you buy a phone you pay for the development which has gone into making all the components fit into a compact device and the design/finish of the device itself.

A 3 inch cable does not justify an exorbitant price. Very little development goes into it. It's simply not true that you pay more for smaller products. You pay enough for the company to make a nice profit on top of development, manufacturing and materials.

The high price is simply a bet that people will be willing to pay for it because it's one of a limited number of lightening cables available which makes it the only option who want a cable like it for a while.

Once there are many products like it, the price will go down in order to remain competitive.

glsillygili
Apr 21, 2013, 06:25 PM
WTF is the point of having this

technopimp
Apr 21, 2013, 06:53 PM

Meanwhile, my iPhone has never been in my pocket with keys and never been around anything abrasive, and yet has two deep gouges in the screen. :(

ctdonath
Apr 22, 2013, 08:41 AM
Where would you use it?
Primary use is "oh crap, I need to recharge this thing NOW". There are enough USB ports & chargers around most of the time that you could just use one to recharge IF you had a cable - and this makes sure you always have the cable. Moments of such need are often of the kind "yeah I'd pay $25 right now to be able to receive a call from ______".
Same reason I keep emergency supplies in my car trunk, bandages etc. in my daily-stuff bag, and a few days of key medicine in a vial on my keyring: money & effort spent on stuff I hope I never need, but if I do I'll need it NOW.
A dead cell phone sucks. A 3" cable dangling from my keyring means I can recharge it from any available USB port, at least to usable in a few minutes, even if it's a bit awkward in the process.

sdilley14
Apr 22, 2013, 09:19 AM
I love the idea of this thing. I can't tell you how many times I've gone out for a night on the town with friends and by the end of the night or the next morning when I wake up at their place, my phone is dead or running on life support. I'll wake up at 9-10am with a dead phone...we hang out and BS for a while, go out for brunch, and by the time I get home to a phone charger it's 1-2pm...so I've had 4-5 hours with a dead phone. It isn't life altering, but it's annoying.

This same thing happens on long road trips...leave at 8-9am with a fully charged phone, and by 8-9-10pm, it's dead.

The (obvious) problem is that there are a ton of 30 pin adapters laying around, but rarely will you find a lightning adapter. And it isn't exactly convenient to carry around a 3.5' cable. I've thought about how great it would be to have a small, pocket sized cable for these "emergency" charge situations.

I do however feel that $25 is a touch too expensive. I could see $9.99 to $19.99.

elec999
Apr 22, 2013, 09:38 AM
At that price I could Purchase multiple cables and keep one in my trunk, one in the back sit, and one at work.

MikBe
Apr 22, 2013, 11:54 AM
Meanwhile, my iPhone has never been in my pocket with keys and never been around anything abrasive, and yet has two deep gouges in the screen. :(

Which iPhone? I noticed my iPhone 3 was much more prone to scratches but my iPhone 5, with the newer Gorilla Glass, has had no issues at all.

mizzouxc
Apr 22, 2013, 05:39 PM
The price comes out to $100 a foot! For those buying this cable, you should get these for your boom box: http://www.audioquest.com

(love the "directional" ethernet cables they sell btw) </sarcasm>

aajeevlin
Apr 23, 2013, 11:45 AM
I like the concept, but not for $25 dollars. Make it $10-15 then I'll get it.

mjkrooker
Apr 23, 2013, 12:49 PM
Two other short cables announced in the past few weeks, both Apple approved/certified. Neither as cheap as one might hope:

Incase 6" - $24.95
http://store.apple.com/us/product/HB256ZM/A/incase-6-sync-and-charge-lightning-to-usb-cable

Kenburg 12cm (5") - $18.95
http://kenburgtech.com/products/lightlinez

technopimp
Apr 24, 2013, 08:09 AM
Which iPhone? I noticed my iPhone 3 was much more prone to scratches but my iPhone 5, with the newer Gorilla Glass, has had no issues at all.

iPhone 5. It's been treated the same as my original, 3GS, and 4 and only this one has ever gotten scratched.

ermoore
May 8, 2013, 07:56 AM
I have been in the situation MANY times where I'm running low on juice and I forgot to pack my cable. Either I'm riding somewhere with a friend, and I don't have my car charger or I'm driving a company vehicle and I forgot to bring the charger with me. Or I leave for a 3 hour road trip knowing my iPhone will last that long when fully charge but then once I'm on the road realize I somehow unplugged my charger in my sleep last night and I'm at about 40%.

These are all real-life examples and have happened to me. Needless to say, in those instances I have had to drop probably a total of about $60 on chargers, and one of those times I couldn't find an iphone 5 charger ANYWHERE. Not many gas stations have the iPhone 5 charger yet.

But you know what I DID have with me in every one of these examples? My keys. I always have my keys on me. So for ME, this would be a perfect solution to a never ending issue I have with planning ahead.

I will most likely buy one of these. Even though I now have a lightning cable at work, 2 at home, and one in my car thanks to all my emergency purchases.

I also have a dock connector to lightning converter, but I can't really find a good place to keep it. I don't think it will hold up in my wallet. maybe I could make a keychain out of it.

WetWilly09
May 8, 2013, 08:24 PM
Great idea but price point is entirely too high. Will sell but based on normal price elasticity, I feel a lower price point would be beneficial. What do you guys think of these cables I stumbled on:

AwesomeCables.com

I thought they were pretty cool.

3rdiguy
May 28, 2013, 02:24 AM
Now we just need a "mini" wall AC adapter too

J@ffa
Jun 1, 2013, 06:46 AM
Total lack of imagination here. 'It's a fraction of the size, therefore it should be a fraction of the price'? Apple bundles lightning cables with every iPhone 5, iPad mini/4 and a few of the iPods, on top of selling however many extras. They're buying the components in the tens of millions. I know most of you seem to think that getting a product mass produced entails emailing a random Chinese factory, saying 'can I has 300,000 of these pls kthxbai' and throwing a keycap on the end of it, but when you actually have to package and ship these things it gets a little more complicated.

This one is (presumably) well-made and is Apple certified. Those of you saying you brought a cable for $2 off eBay — have you actually used them for longer than a few months? I've tried a few and they're as poorly made as anything else that costs that much. The plastic surround for the lightning end invariably isn't secured to the rest of the housing properly and separates if you don't unplug it super carefully, the ends fray, etc. My original Apple cables are all bulletproof, at least so far. I'm not saying you couldn't make one just as good for more like $5-$10, but given that the AmazonBasics cable costs not far off what an official one does and they're presumably selling a lot more than this will, any complaints should probably be directed at Apple.

Naturally, plenty of people here carry laptop bags most of the time and can always have a cable handy. I don't, but I always have my keys, so this product makes perfect sense. $25 is hardly breaking the bank, and when you factor in that you really only need one and that lightning as a standard is presumably going to last for ten years or so (just as the 30-pin connector did), then it's hardly a rip-off.

beaniemyman
Jun 1, 2013, 10:51 AM
the cable is very useful, easy to handle and carry, will definitely plan to buy it.

blitzer09x87
Jun 1, 2013, 11:18 AM
the 3 inch cable is cool, very handy but $25 for a 3 inch cable is too much.

otismotive77
Jun 1, 2013, 11:50 AM
finally! this is what i've been waiting for. great cable, very handy and no mess. i will definitely buy this awesome cable.

EltonT
Jun 12, 2013, 07:36 AM
Has anyone's orders shipped yet?

rtdunham
Jun 12, 2013, 07:43 AM
Wouldn't a naked iPhone get scratched up by the keys?

I've been buying those new-fangled pants with two pockets. :-)

v3-5v
Aug 27, 2013, 01:04 PM
Nice. I had a similar one for the dock connector. Very handy to keep in the back pack.

for $25 I may hold off for a bit though.

Amazon.com has them on sale now for $19.99 free prime shipping.