PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started Producing Quality Electronic Music?

MICHAELSD
Apr 18, 2013, 05:08 PM
Just want an entertaining course that covers theory as well as electronic production (the latter is more important) designed for the ADHD :cool:.

EDIT: Have about a two-week break. By the end of this I want to be a master of producing electronic music in Logic that tugs at the heartstrings and becomes instantly catchy. Which course should I enroll in that will get me to that end goal as efficiently as possible?

This has been eating at me for years: I'm a songwriter at heart, but I haven't been able to adequately create electronic beats usable for the tracks I've partially created. Let's assume I have no music theory knowledge and barely know the basics of Logic (although I am partially-versed): where do I start so it can become more second-nature to create at the very least a decent, usable electronic instrumental/beat? I feel like my Logic beats lack in music theory, and I would really appreciate a guide that covers actually producing electronic music in Logic rather than the guides that cover learning the ins-and-outs of the software.

If there are any plugins that will make creating better-sounding tracks and sticking to music theory easier, I'd appreciate recommendations on those as well. Nexus2 looks like it'd be a major aid in reaching the quality sound I'm looking for, although the price tag is a bit too steep for me. Would anybody recommend this for ease of use in creating polished beats?

I've been watching the Lynda tutorials and trying to grasp Logic electronic music production from YouTube videos but I still feel too behind to even create a drum beat I'd find studio-ready.

Funny part is I can dedicate hundreds of hours to a song in GarageBand (combined with instrumentals from iPad apps) but not particularly like the only slightly-polished quality. Would much rather be spending that time in Logic but without even knowledge to create workable pieces it gets more frustrating than motivational.

Thanks for helping lead me in the right direction. :D

ChrisA
Apr 19, 2013, 12:38 AM
Have you seen these guys" http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/logic-application

It's worth it to give then $25 a month

MICHAELSD
Apr 23, 2013, 05:29 PM
Have you seen these guys" http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/logic-application

It's worth it to give then $25 a month

They definitely look more comprehensive than Lynda, although I'd be interested in a few more recommendations first before deciding which to pay for.

MICHAELSD
Jul 20, 2013, 06:58 PM
Maybe there's a new recommendation with Logic Pro X's release? Had no problem picking that up, but I haven't paid for a tutorial yet! None of these seem to touch on music theory enough. I'm sure I could learn a decent amount from some kind of DJ mixing tutorial as well. Just want an entertaining course that covers theory as well as electronic production (the latter is more important) for the ADHD :cool:.

MICHAELSD
Jul 29, 2013, 04:32 PM
Logic Pro X's iPad Remote has dramatically improved my workflow.

In case other people are visiting this thread looking to learn, there are a few free quality theory iBooks as well as plenty of quality $15+ apps. YouTube videos are useful as well.

Now, I'm just looking for a resource to go from decent to good quickly as I've already went from musically challenged (instrumentally) to decent.

ChrisA
Jul 30, 2013, 01:29 PM
They definitely look more comprehensive than Lynda, although I'd be interested in a few more recommendations first before deciding which to pay for.

You can watch the free demos then decide. In general Lynda covers "every hint" for how to use MS Office and general computer skills and how to program in Java while The Macprovideo site covers just audio and video in more details. It's month by month so go for one then switch.

Right now I get a full subscription to Lyda from free from my university. But I prefer Macprovideo for audio/video.

Watch the demos.

There was a question about Music Theory: Get a beginner piano book.
This one is book #1 of the three part series. IT is the one most recommended on the forumms and I have it. You can do about one lesson from the book in a day or two, or at the beginning move faster. But don't skip. These books are BETTER then any short youtube thing. You need the paper printed notes or you will never learn. By the end of book three you are a "early intermediate" pianist. And will kknow enough music theory. But you got to practice, 20 minutes every day as a minimum
http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Basic-Adult-All-Course/dp/0739082426/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

CelestialToys
Aug 4, 2013, 09:32 PM
this site under the technique heading has some great info

http://www.attackmagazine.com

There are some great free videos on here under the categories section

http://www.pyramind.com/training/blog/?/index.phpoption=com_community&view=frontpage&Itemid=9

This guys youtube channel is full of logic specific tutorials for free, he's a bit of a legend and quite entertaining

http://www.youtube.com/user/SFLogicNinja/videos

hope some of these are useful, they have certainly been useful for me

MICHAELSD
Jan 2, 2014, 10:02 PM
EDIT: Have about a two-week break. By the end of this I want to be a master of producing electronic music in Logic that tugs at the heartstrings and becomes instantly catchy. Which course should I enroll in that will get me to that end goal as efficiently as possible? Just want one more course, books and single video tutorials haven't helped as much as I'd like. Thanks :D.

Luap
Jan 3, 2014, 07:39 AM
You are enthusiastic, which is great. But.. What you want takes time. The skills and know how you need can't be gathered in 2 weeks. But stick at it ;)

wesk702
Jan 4, 2014, 12:22 AM
Don't want to give you the RTM reply. I started by just dedicating a whole evening to just tinkering around the app and suddenly it just flows. Some things are intuitive and some are not but if you can manage around an OS and are familiar with production/rec terms then things should pick up.
Logic has a pretty steep learning curve to manage in two weeks, but thats including dynamics and post production.

Forums are the best start after you familiarize with the layout. By the end of the first night you should at least learn how to open a blank template, add an instrument, and record some midi notes to at least a few bars and loop.
It seems instruments are your up your lobby so logic is King of Midi, so you picked a great choice. Ableton is also awesome and you can use midi, but it's not as elegant as logic. However if you do incorporate samples, Ableton is King of sampling and manipulating.

bortraws
Jan 8, 2014, 03:40 PM
I bought a nice iPhone app called Mix Buddy. It has nice videos that explain a lot about audio technology. But the best part of the app are the EQ Blueprints. These give frequency information and mix information for lots of instruments. I learned a lot about EQing and mixing from it.

Furthermore read a good magazine like Sound on Sound or Future Music (the latter discusses more EDM).

PreacherKane
Jan 9, 2014, 06:39 AM
You are enthusiastic, which is great. But.. What you want takes time. The skills and know how you need can't be gathered in 2 weeks. But stick at it ;)

I 2nd this. I have been writing music and lyrics on and off for over 25 years. Some of then have evolved from the ramblings of a teenager to the musings of a young man to the assured thoughts of a more stable and mature man.

It takes time to get good at anything(not that I am saying that I am good, adequate but not good).
What I am realy saying is to enjoy it and you will reap your rewards. If you are looking to just make another generic dance track for the youth culture, then you don't need to learn Logic, many Pop and Dance tracks have been created and produced in Garageband and then professionally mixed and mastered by a studio engineer.

sim667
Jan 13, 2014, 10:15 AM
Ive tried to teach myself both logic and ableton.

Im getting quite handy with ableton, I gave up with logic, its stupidly complicated (or 7 was anyway)

PreacherKane
Jan 17, 2014, 06:42 AM
Ive tried to teach myself both logic and ableton.

Im getting quite handy with ableton, I gave up with logic, its stupidly complicated (or 7 was anyway)

I rather like the complexity of it and the infinite control that I can have over each sound I produce. Yes I can lost in music but it feels so good.;)

MICHAELSD
Feb 18, 2014, 02:40 PM
I'm awful at following multiple sources. I just want a course (on video, online, whatever) that'll teach me theory and producing quality electronic music from beginning to end. Before I release my music I want to make sure it evokes emotion like what you feel in your favorite songs. I want a soundscape and intense bass drops. A dedicated release. I keep abstaining since I haven't been able to find a course that'll teach me this so I'm not just randomly playing with chords and key signatures. HELP! haha I know you guys have already but I'm finding it impossible to find a course.

trancinchino
Feb 18, 2014, 09:37 PM
I'm awful at following multiple sources. I just want a course (on video, online, whatever) that'll teach me theory and producing quality electronic music from beginning to end. Before I release my music I want to make sure it evokes emotion like what you feel in your favorite songs. I want a soundscape and intense bass drops. A dedicated release. I keep abstaining since I haven't been able to find a course that'll teach me this so I'm not just randomly playing with chords and key signatures. HELP! haha I know you guys have already but I'm finding it impossible to find a course.

I think the general consensus is that music theory, composition, and production isn't something that you can master in two weeks. This is something you need to build over time with lots of work, practice, and studying. I don't want to sound rude, but it's quite surprising that you still haven't taken that a first step nearly 9 months after the initial post.

In my opinion (completely subjective of course), musical theory is something that may take the longest to master. It really takes a lot of time to learn instruments and understand how melodies should harmonize and evolve with one another. Production is quite a bit more technical and is more about learning how to use a piece of equipment. Writing good music really comes from the your emotions, your heart, and your soul. Those are quite large generalizations though... lol, but I hope you get the gist of it.

Sackvillenb
Feb 27, 2014, 01:46 PM
Right now coursera.org has some FREE music courses and they are quite good.

PreacherKane
Mar 3, 2014, 06:39 AM

I don't think that there is ONE course that will do everthing that you want.
When I was in school, I took classes to learn the bass, drums and guitar and they were great but I only really understand the music making process now as an adult. I listen to how my favourite songs are created, what they are saying to me and how they make me. I feel the goosebumps and the hair raise on the back of my neck when the verse strips away to the bridge and then the chorus rushes in. And that can be from classical or rock or pop or rap.
Music is passion and providing you put a bit of you in the song, you will be happy. Worry less about soundscapes and intense bass drops and JUST MAKE MUSIC. Everything will come with time.
Prime example is the Beatles, their early work is musically very simple. A few chords, a repeating melody - Eleanor Rigby but they more musically complex as the albums progress and as they find they sound.
Create a melody, add more and more instruments and suddenly its a song!!!
JUST MAKE MUSIC and everything will fall into place.

MICHAELSD
Mar 4, 2014, 08:03 PM
I think the general consensus is that music theory, composition, and production isn't something that you can master in two weeks. This is something you need to build over time with lots of work, practice, and studying. I don't want to sound rude, but it's quite surprising that you still haven't taken that a first step nearly 9 months after the initial post.

In my opinion (completely subjective of course), musical theory is something that may take the longest to master. It really takes a lot of time to learn instruments and understand how melodies should harmonize and evolve with one another. Production is quite a bit more technical and is more about learning how to use a piece of equipment. Writing good music really comes from the your emotions, your heart, and your soul. Those are quite large generalizations though... lol, but I hope you get the gist of it.

Yeah, I realize but I got a bit discouraged by not finding a program I like that could take me all the way to mastering but I will begin a music theory course/book/app soon.

----------

Right now coursera.org has some FREE music courses and they are quite good.

Thanks, seems like a great resource!

----------

I don't think that there is ONE course that will do everthing that you want.
When I was in school, I took classes to learn the bass, drums and guitar and they were great but I only really understand the music making process now as an adult. I listen to how my favourite songs are created, what they are saying to me and how they make me. I feel the goosebumps and the hair raise on the back of my neck when the verse strips away to the bridge and then the chorus rushes in. And that can be from classical or rock or pop or rap.
Music is passion and providing you put a bit of you in the song, you will be happy. Worry less about soundscapes and intense bass drops and JUST MAKE MUSIC. Everything will come with time.
Prime example is the Beatles, their early work is musically very simple. A few chords, a repeating melody - Eleanor Rigby but they more musically complex as the albums progress and as they find they sound.
Create a melody, add more and more instruments and suddenly its a song!!!
JUST MAKE MUSIC and everything will fall into place.

I do like my demos a bit more equalized on a quality sound system but am still hesitant to say I could release anything yet. It'll certainly take a ton of time but this is helpful advice. Certainly more time than the Beatles took, although I'm sure they practiced for 50 hours each week.

fastlanephil
Mar 5, 2014, 01:31 AM
I always considered Eleanor Rigby one of the Beatles more interesting songs both musically and lyrically. It began with the bridge, which was also the hook but interestingly not the title and there was just vocals and George Martin's classical string arrangement. I imagine McCartney originally had a verse and bridge but it was just half of a song. George Martin has always been modest about his contribution to the Beatles music but I'd bet he saved that one from the trash can.

The song's lyrics were quite stark and depressing. Could they have been feelings that the Beatles were themselves having at the time because they had become so popular and famous they themselves were feeling isolated from the world that had created them. Was being a Beatle now like a person that lived in a fantasy world of disconnect.

PreacherKane
Mar 5, 2014, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I realize but I got a bit discouraged by not finding a program I like that could take me all the way to mastering but I will begin a music theory course/book/app soon.

----------

Thanks, seems like a great resource!

----------

I do like my demos a bit more equalized on a quality sound system but am still hesitant to say I could release anything yet. It'll certainly take a ton of time but this is helpful advice. Certainly more time than the Beatles took, although I'm sure they practiced for 50 hours each week.

You need to post your demos on one the many music sites, link the page here on Macrumors and let us hear you.
I know exactly what you are feeling. I was very precious of my music but you know what, there are some intellingent and creative people here who will give you strong CONSTRUCTIVE criticism on how to make you music sound better.

And you can always remix the songs if you are not happy.

----------

I always considered Eleanor Rigby one of the Beatles more interesting songs both musically and lyrically. It began with the bridge, which was also the hook but interestingly not the title and there was just vocals and George Martin's classical string arrangement. I imagine McCartney originally had a verse and bridge but it was just half of a song. George Martin has always been modest about his contribution to the Beatles music but I'd bet he saved that one from the trash can.

The song's lyrics were quite stark and depressing. Could they have been feelings that the Beatles were themselves having at the time because they had become so popular and famous they themselves were feeling isolated from the world that had created them. Was being a Beatle now like a person that lived in a fantasy world of disconnect.

Eleanor Rigby is interesting but musically quite uncomplicated. I think its only about 4 or 5 simple chords when playing the guitar. Its certainly the easiest to learn to play. But that doesn't take away the sheer beauty of a relatively simple song, written brilliantly.