PDA

View Full Version : [All iPads] Review on the Ravpower WifiDisk

darky90
Apr 18, 2013, 06:07 PM
I bought the Ravpower RP-WD01 Wifi Disk after reading some positive reviews on Amazon, and I feel this is one of the best investments I've made for my phone and tablet and for my traveling pleasure. I've looked into getting Seagate's wifi external hdd but that's just another device to spend a lot of money on when I already have so many SD cards and usb flash drives. I even have a perfectly good portable Seagate hard drive that I don't want to replace. With this device, I can finally use all these different storage types without the hassle of dealing with cables or other compatibility issues.

Where I got this: Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower%C2%AE-RP-WD01-Wireless-WiFi-Disk-Li-Polymer/dp/B00AQUMZRA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

What's in the box and Specs:
1 RAVPower WifiDisk
1 USB to micro usb cable
User Guide (hard to understand, Amazon reviews helped me greatly though)

1 SD card slot
1 Standard usb port
1 micro usb port

From the manufacture:
- Model: RP-WD01
- Wi-Fi Standard: 802.11b/g/n
- Wi-Fi Frequency: 2.4 GHZ
- SD card support: up to 128 G
- USB HDD support: up to 2 TB
- USB type: USB 2.0
- Micro-USB type: USB 2.0
- Power Bank Capacity: 3000 mAh
- Max Input: 5V / 1.5A
- Output: 5V / 1A
- Dimension: 4.65" x 3.11" x 0.55"
- Weight: 4.23 oz.
- Working Temperature: 5-35C
- Storage Temperature: 0-60C
- Certification: CE/FCC

Wifi Disk unit which doubles as a 3000mah external charger with your own charging cable.

App used:
AirStor

Also comes with its own user interface through the web browser if you rather not download an app.

Some basic Instructions and access:
Getting onto the network:
This device is essentially my own portable network where it comes with its own SSID and you will be able to find it in your nearby wireless networks. SSID for mine is WiFiSD-1164 (might be different for yours). Turn on the Wifi Disk and looked for the SSID in my wifi network. Enter in the default password which is 11111111. Now I'm in, and can access my portable storage.

Using the app "Airstor":
After downloading the app, and getting onto your WifiDisk's network, I can go directly to Airstor and it will pull up all data that's attached to my WifiDisk.

Using the Web interface:
After getting onto my WifiDisk's network, I go into my browser (should work for all computers, smartphones, tablets, any device that has a web browser) and typed in 10.10.10.254 and a green and black interface popped up prompting me for my login information. First time login information is "admin" all lower case and then nothing for the password. You can change this later in the settings.

I personally have not tried, but after reading some reviews of this product, it seems you can also use other file explorer apps to access your content within the WifiDisk. If anyone out there knows of any other file explorer apps, please share. :)

Performance and Likes:
I was able to test this out with my SD cards of varying sizes from 2gb to 64gb (I have 5 floating around). It also works with micro sd cards with an adapter. It has work with all my flash drives and my Seagate portable hdd.

5 devices can be connected to this at once. I have not tried out 5 yet but I've tried 3 and I think having the ability to have more devices at once makes this product even more worth on having because everyone in the family or your friends can access your videos and files during trips. And what's even better is that one person can be watching, for example, The Big Bang Theory, and another can be watching How I met Your Mother at the same time.

I was able to play a variety of video files such as avi, mp4, divx/xvid, mkv, mov and possibly even more. Everything played smoothly on a single device and on all 3 (galaxy s3, ipad, iphone 4s)

I tested the range on this thing and I believe I can go about maybe 30 feet before the signal is lost (from my front door to the bedroom). The 30 ft range has been enough for road trips and viewing files from around my apartment with little to no interference.

It connects wonderfully to my home internet. I was able to configure it through the browser interface, however there are options through the app as well. After setup, I was able to access both my files and my home internet at the same time. This is like a wireless bridge to your router so when configuring your internet, you will need to enter your password for your router.

The app Airstor is a very clean app and very straight forward. The only issue I had was that I could not figure out how to move a list of photos from the WifiDisk into my Photo's camera roll. Apparently you can only save one at a time. There maybe a backdoor way to doing this, however I'm not that savvy enough to figure this out. If anyone buys this and figures it out, can you let me know? ;) It does tend to feel a little glitchy at times with the graphics, however it's very minimal.

The web interface works pretty much the same way as Airstor. Also since this devices comes with its own web interface, you can even access your media as well as adding media from a standard computer too. I can literally drop a file into the WifiDisk and after it finishes uploading, I can already access it from my iPad or phone without needing to plug cables into any other device.

Love that this is wireless! This can be tucked away in my bag or anywhere within range and I can watch my videos or listen to my music on my ipad or phone. Truly amazing device at a fraction of the cost of name brands wifi hdds.

Dislikes:
I really dislike how I need to hold the power button for it to turn on, but perhaps they made it like this so you can't accidentally turn it on and waste battery. The load up time for the network to display takes a while. It surely isn't instant though. Lastly, I personally do not like the color combo of this unit however since this works so well for me, I can overlook it. I think if this came in other color choices or perhaps all black, it would make for a very sleek looking device.

Overall:
This is such a great device and Ravpower gives such personal customer service too. They have personally called me to ask how my product is doing and that alone really tells me that they truly care about their customer's input and satisfaction. I'm really liking this brand. I also own their xRobot 30 pin portable charger and their 10,000 mah portable charger. I hope to see more variety in their products soon. Perhaps cases and other accessories.

I hope you found this review useful and thanks for reading. Sorry if it was super long...

I'm not affiliated with Ravpower whatsoever. Everything was bought with my own money.

Pictures:
Here are some photos for comparison on size. Pictured with this is a Seagate external hdd and iphone 4s.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3805/ravpower1.jpg
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/571/ravpower2.jpg

sbddude
Apr 18, 2013, 06:19 PM
Looks interesting. Can it act as a ftp server and stream to avplayer hd?

darky90
Apr 18, 2013, 07:12 PM

I guess it can act as a ftp server, but you can't really manually pick which ever players to use. Once you open your file, it'll play in your default player.

BarryL
Apr 18, 2013, 07:54 PM
Hey thanks for writing that up. Might get one after all now.

sbddude
Apr 18, 2013, 09:40 PM
I guess it can act as a ftp server, but you can't really manually pick which ever players to use. Once you open your file, it'll play in your default player.

In AvPlayer you can connect to a FTP server directly. You don't need any other app. I use it to stream from my synology NAS.

darky90
Apr 22, 2013, 04:22 PM
In AvPlayer you can connect to a FTP server directly. You don't need any other app. I use it to stream from my synology NAS.

Oh I see. Hmm, I might look into getting the AVPlayer.

Well as far as I know, this Ravpower WifiDisk is a wifi sd card/flash drive reader. Any other storage formats, I cannot say for sure. I was looking through the network settings and there are settings for Wifi/LAN, DHCP Server, and DDNS settings.

xtremr
May 8, 2013, 11:37 PM
Interesting indeed. Thanks for the write up. I actually own one of their 10,400 mah portable battery chargers and loooove it. Saved me many times on charging my phone.

By any chance do you know how long this lasts before you have to charge it again?

Menneisyys2
May 14, 2013, 03:30 AM

BTW, it can also function as an SMB server, which means nPlayer / EC Player can even play back MKV files off it hardware accelerated (!).

darky90
May 17, 2013, 04:48 PM
Interesting indeed. Thanks for the write up. I actually own one of their 10,400 mah portable battery chargers and loooove it. Saved me many times on charging my phone.

By any chance do you know how long this lasts before you have to charge it again?

From full charge, for me it last about 4-5 hours with constant usage.

Thex1138
May 20, 2013, 09:50 PM
From full charge, for me it last about 4-5 hours with constant usage.
That's why there is no mention of usage time in the description..
4-5 hours usage is pretty marginal.
They either need bigger battery, more efficient Wifi or Bluetooth 4.0 low power.
:)

darky90
Jun 11, 2013, 06:58 PM
That's why there is no mention of usage time in the description..
4-5 hours usage is pretty marginal.
They either need bigger battery, more efficient Wifi or Bluetooth 4.0 low power.
:)

Yeah, bigger battery and efficiency would be great. That's one of my biggest gripes with this thing. And they market it as a power bank too? Hmmm yes, it can be used as one for emergencies I suppose, but it doesn't really leave much room to use both purposes comfortably.

darky90
Jun 11, 2013, 07:08 PM
I just noticed they are currently out of stock and I called ravpower to see if there are any shipments coming in soon. Supposedly they won't be seeing stock until mid June - July. :(

avezunchik
Jul 13, 2013, 10:57 PM
Please somebody advise what is the best app for using ravpower with iPhone/ipad. I cannot opne not mp4 files on airstor and then I only can download such files. I'd like to have some file explorer instead of airstor to stream avi/mkv/divxx etc files directly

paulbasi
Jul 30, 2013, 10:44 AM
I seem to be getting connected just fine. Every time I try to access my disk, it prompts me for a password. I have reset the RavPower several times but to no avail. What is the password I should be using?
By the way, this was a very very well written review. Thank you so much for this.

ReallyBigFeet
Jul 30, 2013, 07:09 PM
By default, password for Ravpower is 11111111. This isn't listed anywhere in the manual that I can find.

Also, most recent release of Airstor for iOS is broken for me. It will no longer connect to the unit via wifi. Based on App Store reviews, it's broken for everyone. Don't update until resolved.

GabyT
Jul 31, 2013, 09:15 PM
Please somebody advise what is the best app for using ravpower with iPhone/ipad. I cannot opne not mp4 files on airstor and then I only can download such files. I'd like to have some file explorer instead of airstor to stream avi/mkv/divxx etc files directly

I had the same problem. I just got to know they have updated the Airstor App to iTune Store. I updated the app to the 1.3.454 version, it works now. You can have a try.

GabyT
Jul 31, 2013, 09:28 PM
Also, most recent release of Airstor for iOS is broken for me. It will no longer connect to the unit via wifi. Based on App Store reviews, it's broken for everyone. Don't update until resolved.

They just released a 1.3.454 version Airstor App, I just updated to the new version and the Wi-Fi disk works now.

ReallyBigFeet
Aug 1, 2013, 07:34 AM
^ Yes, I just updated the app last night and it WAS working for a minute. Then I tried surfing through three different movies, and the app locked up my iPad. Rebooted my iPad, closed all apps, then tried accessing the device again. Now it wants a non-existent password to access the device (I never set one, didn't need one the first time). Had to turn off the RAV unit and then back on. Got it reconnected, repeated above steps, no request for a password, but now it can't see any of my SD cards or USB keys...says "folder empty" each time.

Buggy solution, I still say avoid Airstor until they get their act together.

That said, if you use the web interface, you can access the device. And using an app like GoodPlayer, you can access the files on the drives via SMB server detection. That will let you play MKV's and such...although with GoodPlayer, AC3 was gutted a long time ago (I still have an older version with AC3 enabled).

Device is about on-par with Airstash in my opinion. I've got both and don't think either is bulletproof, a bit flaky here and there and not quite finished product. But they mostly work.

Donka
Aug 6, 2013, 07:36 AM
Received one of these yesterday and overall I am very happy with it as a product. My main reason for purchase was to supplement disk space on my work issue iPhone 5 since they only supply a 16Gb model. After using this FileHub, I can see my only buying the base model of iPad in the future instead of my current 64Gb model. Why spend the extra 120 for a 64Gb model when the 16Gb and this device will give me what I need!

A few observations.

IOS app. Works 100% for me every time. This is the latest version of the Airstor app and device firmware. It always connects and all transfers I tried completed successfully without issue. My main use for the device is movies and photographs when I am travelling. The app will play back IOS supported movies without issue. Unsupported movies will give you the option of downloading. Once downloaded, the app will give you the option to open in another app so provided you have a media player that supports the file you are trying then this is an acceptable way of getting access to the media - you need to download and then transfer to the supported app instead of just streaming. The alternative is to use an app that supports streaming and SMB - see below.

Download speed. While the transfers are way fast enough for streaming a movie, I like the option of downloading to my choice of app for playing locally instead of streaming. I haven't timed this properly yet but regardless of the source being a normal USB pen drive or a high speed SD card, I was only getting transfer speeds of a bit over 1Mb/sec. Not a deal breaker but it was taking around 10 minutes to transfer a 700Mb movie file.

Movie streaming. I was streaming 720p content to my iPhone 5 and it was streaming flawlessly without a single issue. This was both with MP4 in the Airstor app and also MKV in the nPlayer app.

SMB sharing. Using nPlayer as my media player of choice, I couldn't find the FileHub doing an SMB search. I could set it up as a manual connection using the IP address of 10.10.10.254 and username of admin. This would see the FileHub but as soon as I tried to access any content folders, I would get a connection refused error. I set up a password for the FileHub and rebooted it and tried with my manual connection again. This time, nPlayer could navigate the folders and stream perfectly or download the file for local playback. It seems you need to set a password before you can use SMB.

Disk format. I tried an SD card formatted as exFAT and this could not be read by the FileHub. I'm not sure if exFAT would work with a USB drive or not but I see this as a real limitation of the FileHub. FAT and FAT32 work fine and looking at the firmware notes, it appears NTFS does too.

Photographs. At a push, this device could work as a replacement to the camera connection kit. Inserting an SD card or USB drive (CF card using a USB card reader) lets you browse your images and select specific or all images. You can upload these to your IOS device, the Airstor app lets you navigate it's own internal folder hierarchy and select a location. You could then open these images in your camera roll although I'm not sure if you can open multiple images in one go. This isn't as elegant a solution as the camera connection kit and involves an extra step but it is at least functional. What is probably of more use is the ability to upload images from your IOS device directly to an SD card or USB drive say when on vacation either as a backup or to allow you to then free up that space on the IOS device. You also have the option of using this method to share these files with other users although there are already apps that let you do that directly via Wifi or Bluetooth and airdrop in IOS 7 will also let you do this sharing function.

For me, this purchase is a no brainer if you want to travel with a lot of media and are running short on space on your IOS device or if you have just the base model to start with. It also makes sense for a whole family travelling with IOS devices as you can treat this as a portable NAS device and share content to all clients. You can easily swap out SD cards and USB drives when required but because it is a full sized SD slot, you can insert a large capacity SD card fully so it sits flush with the unit and use it as a form of semi permanent storage. You can pick up Ravpower Wireless Filehub and a 64GB SDXC card for less than half the price it would cost you to upgrade from a 16GB to 64GB iPad. You may lose a little bit of convenience with the limited internal storage but you would gain much more practicality and flexibility as well as this being a one off cost so you would save even more each time you bought a new iPad for example.

I'm a fan and the only two things I would love to see are improved transfer speeds and exFAT support.

mrbliss
Feb 21, 2014, 07:52 AM
Has anybody tried it with MusicMount?

I'm looking for a solution for a friend who has a large music collect on a portable drive and wants to stream it to her iPad. I understand the iPad version of iTunes can't normally see devices like this, so I'm looking for a good Itunes style music app that can.

The other device I'm looking at is Kingston Mobilelite, would this be a better option? Looking for the easiest solution to set up as she's not very technically minded and I won't be able to configure it for her as we're about 150 miles apart.

Donka
Feb 21, 2014, 08:15 AM
I haven't used that app but you want to ensure you can connect to it using a suitable interface e.g. SMB. If the app supports any kind of networking share then either of these devices should work fine for your needs.

peapody
Feb 21, 2014, 08:27 AM
I just picked this up a couple days ago, and had some trouble setting up the device. It kept sending me to that website where you can configure the device, but then would not connect to the app. Eventually I reset the device and now it is working how I would expect.

So far I am loving this thing -- it is doing what I wanted - stream movies and tv to my apple tv without the need for my to launch my computer or store media on my mac. I mean.. this is a great feature, and saves me on my electricity bills too lol since my Mac PRO is power hungry.

I also love the fact that the SD card sits flush in the device...which means that I can have it stowed away in the wifi disk on the go, and effectively expand the space of my devices at all times. I ended up picking up a 128 gb sdhc card for this purpose lol. Not sure if it will work, but I will let you know.

What I don't like is that it appears battery power is consumed when I leave a low profile USB connected to the wifidisk. I would have loved if there was a switch for me to turn on or off this charging feature, because I have sandisk cruzer fits that could just stay on the disk at all times.

All in all. This is a must have for anyone with peripherals and large media collections.

Donka
Feb 21, 2014, 08:46 AM
I just picked this up a couple days ago, and had some trouble setting up the device. It kept sending me to that website where you can configure the device, but then would not connect to the app. Eventually I reset the device and now it is working how I would expect.

So far I am loving this thing -- it is doing what I wanted - stream movies and tv to my apple tv without the need for my to launch my computer or store media on my mac. I mean.. this is a great feature, and saves me on my electricity bills too lol since my Mac PRO is power hungry.

I also love the fact that the SD card sits flush in the device...which means that I can have it stowed away in the wifi disk on the go, and effectively expand the space of my devices at all times. I ended up picking up a 128 gb sdhc card for this purpose lol. Not sure if it will work, but I will let you know.

What I don't like is that it appears battery power is consumed when I leave a low profile USB connected to the wifidisk. I would have loved if there was a switch for me to turn on or off this charging feature, because I have sandisk cruzer fits that could just stay on the disk at all times.

All in all. This is a must have for anyone with peripherals and large media collections.

This is what I love. I have a 64GB SDXC card in there all the time which is more than adequate for any vacation/travel. It means my iPad only needs to be the cheaper 16GB model as all my media is stored on the SDXC card and I just store apps on the iPad.

TJ61
Feb 21, 2014, 10:29 AM
Has anybody tried it with MusicMount?

I'm looking for a solution for a friend who has a large music collect on a portable drive and wants to stream it to her iPad. I understand the iPad version of iTunes can't normally see devices like this, so I'm looking for a good Itunes style music app that can.

The other device I'm looking at is Kingston Mobilelite, would this be a better option? Looking for the easiest solution to set up as she's not very technically minded and I won't be able to configure it for her as we're about 150 miles apart.

You might also consider the SanDisk Connect (http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Connect-Wireless-Media-SDWS1-064G-A57/dp/B00DR8LAE2) as an alternative. It kind of depends on whether you want some storage capacity in the device itself, or if you only want to use SD cards. To some extent, these devices are only as good as their apps, and so far the SanDisk app has been pretty good. I mostly use this for streaming movies to multiple devices, and for offloading photos/videos from camera (SD card) and phone while traveling. I like the smaller form factor, and the 8 hour battery life is nice, too.

Just a happy customer.

mrbliss
Feb 21, 2014, 04:39 PM
You might also consider the SanDisk Connect (http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Connect-Wireless-Media-SDWS1-064G-A57/dp/B00DR8LAE2) as an alternative. It kind of depends on whether you want some storage capacity in the device itself, or if you only want to use SD cards. To some extent, these devices are only as good as their apps, and so far the SanDisk app has been pretty good. I mostly use this for streaming movies to multiple devices, and for offloading photos/videos from camera (SD card) and phone while traveling. I like the smaller form factor, and the 8 hour battery life is nice, too.

Just a happy customer.
Thanks for your replies.

The built in memory of the Sandisk (32gb or 64gb) is not enough for the music (about 300gb) so it comes in as an expensive option compared to the others.

From what I've read none of the apps associated with this type of device is perfect, and none seem to be particularly good for music. They are more like file managers rather than something that can browse a collection of 1,500 albums displaying artwork etc with ease.

That's why I was asking about MusicMount as it does seem to do this well and has been developed as a solution to this problem.

I would be interested to hear from someone who has got something like this up and running. As I mentioned, it needs to be easy enough for a lay person to set up with some easy to follow instructions.

Donka
Feb 21, 2014, 05:24 PM
I think it is worth contacting the Musicmount developers and asking them if such a drive is supported.
Actually a quick scan of the Musicmount site gives this...

http://musicmount.org/2014/02/18/wireless-drives/

peapody
Feb 21, 2014, 05:53 PM
Got this sdxc card, and it works great with the filehub.

https://v4s.yimg.com/sm/5546/12685563314_91952c70ab_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/107380936@N06/12685563314/)

Zmanbaseball2
Feb 21, 2014, 08:12 PM
Got this sdxc card, and it works great with the filehub.

Image (http://www.flickr.com/photos/107380936@N06/12685563314/)

Does the sd card sit 100% in the device? Or does part of it stick out

peapody
Feb 21, 2014, 08:23 PM
Does the sd card sit 100% in the device? Or does part of it stick out

Absolutely flush as you can see below. So far it has made my life much easier uploading pictures to flickr.

https://v4s.yimg.com/sk/3810/12687631304_c335d42b73_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/107380936@N06/12687631304/)

https://s2.yimg.com/sm/5522/12687639524_b3abf0b755_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/107380936@N06/12687639524/)

Zmanbaseball2
Feb 21, 2014, 08:24 PM
Absolutely flush as you can see below.

Image (http://www.flickr.com/photos/107380936@N06/12687631304/)

Image (http://www.flickr.com/photos/107380936@N06/12687639524/)

Thanks and that's a pretty picture with the backlit keyboard in the BG;)
Also where do you or others download movies to put on the sd card and what app do you use to play music/movies from?

peapody
Feb 21, 2014, 08:27 PM
Thanks and that's a pretty picture with the backlit keyboard in the BG;)
Also where do you or others download movies to put on the sd card and what app do you use to play music/movies from?

You can play movies and music directly from the AirStor app. The cool thing is that it works with apple tv too. My entire library consists of m4v files so it plays all of them. Not sure about other file types. I work hard to streamline my media.

Zmanbaseball2
Feb 21, 2014, 08:29 PM
You can play movies and music directly from the AirStor app. The cool thing is that it works with apple tv too. My entire library consists of m4v files so it plays all of them. Not sure about other file types. I work hard to streamline my media.

Where do I legally get movies to buy and download? See if this will work for me...

peapody
Feb 21, 2014, 08:32 PM
Where do I legally get movies to buy and download? See if this will work for me...

iTunes Amazon

DVDs that come with digital copies

Zmanbaseball2
Feb 21, 2014, 08:34 PM
iTunes Amazon

DVDs that come with digital copies

I wish I can rent a movie and put it on a flash drive and it expires after the times expires like it does on iPads. I hate having to buy the movie to own it.

Zmanbaseball2
Feb 21, 2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks. I think I might get one.

mrbliss
Feb 22, 2014, 05:18 AM
I think it is worth contacting the Musicmount developers and asking them if such a drive is supported.
Actually a quick scan of the Musicmount site gives this...

http://musicmount.org/2014/02/18/wireless-drives/

Thanks. I'll email them.

I've previously emailed RAVpower to ask about apps. They didn't mention MusicMount, but recommended Oplayer and Aceplayer, but these still don't appear to be great for music use. I'll also ermail them about MusicMount, their customer service is really good.

Looking at the instructions for other devices and from what I've gleaned from this thread so far, the base URL will be something like: http://10.10.10.254/media/usb1

Can anyone confirm?

Donka
Feb 22, 2014, 04:21 PM
Yes, that is a direct URL to the connected USB drive.

mrbliss
Feb 23, 2014, 09:04 AM
Yes, that is a direct URL to the connected USB drive.

Thanks for confirming.

I have another thread on this forum about this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18804306#post18804306

The MusicMount developer has been in and touch and has already updated the website to include Ravpower, that's great (soon to be) customer service!

peapody
Feb 23, 2014, 10:42 AM
Thanks for confirming.

I have another thread on this forum about this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18804306#post18804306

The MusicMount developer has been in and touch and has already updated the website to include Ravpower, that's great (soon to be) customer service!

Awesome! I am thinking about purchasing music mount then!

peapody
Feb 23, 2014, 02:58 PM
I purchased musicmount and with the help of their excellent customer support, got this working on the ravpower device. Works great, and the interface is awesome. Great $4 spent!

One time purchase works on both iPad and iPhones..so well worth it if you want to use the ravpower as a music streaming device. I am told that you can get about 9 hours of continuous playback before the ravpower runs out of juice..

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7441/12728869495_e9d2259bb7_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/107380936@N06/12728869495/)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/12729035473_e53470e7f2_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/107380936@N06/12729035473/)

Donka
Feb 23, 2014, 05:01 PM
Nice one.

mrbliss
Feb 25, 2014, 07:47 AM
I purchased musicmount and with the help of their excellent customer support, got this working on the ravpower device. Works great, and the interface is awesome. Great $4 spent!

One time purchase works on both iPad and iPhones..so well worth it if you want to use the ravpower as a music streaming device. I am told that you can get about 9 hours of continuous playback before the ravpower runs out of juice..

Image (http://www.flickr.com/photos/107380936@N06/12728869495/)

Image (http://www.flickr.com/photos/107380936@N06/12729035473/)
That's great news.

Would you be able to bullet out a step by step guide for a complete novice to get MusicMount up and running on an iPad with Ravpower? That would be incredibly helpful as all the posts in the thread I mentioned above have disappeared.

Donka
Feb 25, 2014, 08:51 AM
See my earlier post while you are waiting...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18799453&postcount=26

peapody
Feb 25, 2014, 06:12 PM
That's great news.

Would you be able to bullet out a step by step guide for a complete novice to get MusicMount up and running on an iPad with Ravpower? That would be incredibly helpful as all the posts in the thread I mentioned above have disappeared.

Wow I can't believe that entire thread was deleted. I guess it was off topic..but there was a real need for that kind of information on the interwebs. I'll have to see if I can remember everything - I saved the link to the other tread to repeat what I needed to do. Bummer.

I'll post as soon as I can.

mrbliss
Mar 3, 2014, 08:05 AM
Wow I can't believe that entire thread was deleted. I guess it was off topic..but there was a real need for that kind of information on the interwebs. I'll have to see if I can remember everything - I saved the link to the other tread to repeat what I needed to do. Bummer.

I'll post as soon as I can.

A week after querying this, I finally got a response from the forum administrators:

"I checked the thread in question. Unfortunately, the thread attracted shills and spammers, all of whom were posting in violation of the Forum Rules. All such posts, and all responses to those posts, had to be deleted.

We've left your original post intact, and we hope you get good answers from genuine members who post within the rules!"

I can only think that by "shrills and spammers" they mean the MusicMount developer, I didn't notice anything else? I thought MusicMount demonstrated excellent customer service by responding directly to a post about their product which was in no way "spamming" the thread and even then, deleting the whole thread was a very excessive way of dealing with this and was very unhelpful to the other members in the thread.

Any chance you can get that guide together peabody?

peapody
Mar 3, 2014, 08:34 AM
A week after querying this, I finally got a response from the forum administrators:

"I checked the thread in question. Unfortunately, the thread attracted shills and spammers, all of whom were posting in violation of the Forum Rules. All such posts, and all responses to those posts, had to be deleted.

We've left your original post intact, and we hope you get good answers from genuine members who post within the rules!"

I can only think that by "shrills and spammers" they mean the MusicMount developer, I didn't notice anything else? I thought MusicMount demonstrated excellent customer service by responding directly to a post about their product which was in no way "spamming" the thread and even then, deleting the whole thread was a very excessive way of dealing with this and was very unhelpful to the other members in the thread.

Any chance you can get that guide together peabody?

I agree and I actually got in contact with musicmount again directly. EXCELLENT customer service.

He mentioned that they posted a video on how to get this running on your wifidisk. I went through the video and it basically shows you exactly what you need to do - much better than the instructions. I told Christoph at music mount where I got lost in the instructions, and he is taking the feedback to make things simpler.

How-to video (http://musicmount.org/2014/02/18/wireless-drives/)

The video here is great. You should definitely take a look.

esskay
Mar 3, 2014, 09:33 AM
Hey guys, this is all great info. I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up several devices. We have a family of four -- everyone has their own iPhone or iPod touch, plus two wifi iPads. I had been planning to try to setup iTunes on the family Mac Mini, with songs stored on the NAS, so that I could centralize the music library and then push them out to the devices. But that is such a confusing setup that I still haven't done it after a year of procrastination. Plus a couple of the devices have smaller memory.

It sounds like using MusicMatch to access the song library might be an easier solution -- via the NAS at home, and via something like the RAVpower when we're traveling. What do guys think? The downside is that it seems then I'd have to keep the song library synchronized between the NAS and the RAVpower. Regardless I do like being able to easily load some videos onto the RAVpower for travel without worrying about tight memory on my kids devices.

Or should I just use the built in Audio server provided by Synology? On the road, though, it wouldn't help for the kids who only have wifi.

Appreciate any thoughts.

chimpusmaximus
Mar 5, 2014, 04:38 AM
Has any one worked out how to get a for instance a mov file held on an sd card to be accessible on the ipad in other apps such as imovie?

I have a car camera and would like to get get the files into something like imovie for editing.

Thanks

Donka
Mar 5, 2014, 04:48 AM
Has any one worked out how to get a for instance a mov file held on an sd card to be accessible on the ipad in other apps such as imovie?

I have a car camera and would like to get get the files into something like imovie for editing.

Thanks

As long as it is a a format supported by iOS, you just need to download the mov file into the Ravpower app and share it to your Camera Roll. It will then be available to iMovie.

chimpusmaximus
Mar 5, 2014, 05:05 AM
I did a test by taking a mov file i recorded on the ipad and moved it by upload to the sd card. I was then able to copy it back but do not get an option to put it on the ipad photo folder just the local folders the app creates.

Donka
Mar 5, 2014, 05:30 AM
I did a test by taking a mov file i recorded on the ipad and moved it by upload to the sd card. I was then able to copy it back but do not get an option to put it on the ipad photo folder just the local folders the app creates.

It's not very intuitive but you can copy this file back into the Camera Roll - I don't have the WifiDisk with me to confirm exactly how you do it but can confirm tomorrow if you are still stuck with this.

chimpusmaximus
Mar 5, 2014, 06:24 AM
Ok thanks i'll keep trying and see. I would expect it to be possible just could not see how.

Donka
Mar 5, 2014, 07:57 AM
Ok thanks i'll keep trying and see. I would expect it to be possible just could not see how.

You can definitely do it as I tried this out when reviewing the Wifidisk, I just don't recall off the top of my head the exact procedure.

Pedro883420
Mar 6, 2014, 03:35 PM
Received one of these yesterday and overall I am very happy with it as a product. My main reason for purchase was to supplement disk space on my work issue iPhone 5 since they only supply a 16Gb model. After using this FileHub, I can see my only buying the base model of iPad in the future instead of my current 64Gb model. Why spend the extra 120 for a 64Gb model when the 16Gb and this device will give me what I need!

A few observations.

IOS app. Works 100% for me every time. This is the latest version of the Airstor app and device firmware. It always connects and all transfers I tried completed successfully without issue. My main use for the device is movies and photographs when I am travelling. The app will play back IOS supported movies without issue. Unsupported movies will give you the option of downloading. Once downloaded, the app will give you the option to open in another app so provided you have a media player that supports the file you are trying then this is an acceptable way of getting access to the media - you need to download and then transfer to the supported app instead of just streaming. The alternative is to use an app that supports streaming and SMB - see below.

Download speed. While the transfers are way fast enough for streaming a movie, I like the option of downloading to my choice of app for playing locally instead of streaming. I haven't timed this properly yet but regardless of the source being a normal USB pen drive or a high speed SD card, I was only getting transfer speeds of a bit over 1Mb/sec. Not a deal breaker but it was taking around 10 minutes to transfer a 700Mb movie file.

Movie streaming. I was streaming 720p content to my iPhone 5 and it was streaming flawlessly without a single issue. This was both with MP4 in the Airstor app and also MKV in the nPlayer app.

SMB sharing. Using nPlayer as my media player of choice, I couldn't find the FileHub doing an SMB search. I could set it up as a manual connection using the IP address of 10.10.10.254 and username of admin. This would see the FileHub but as soon as I tried to access any content folders, I would get a connection refused error. I set up a password for the FileHub and rebooted it and tried with my manual connection again. This time, nPlayer could navigate the folders and stream perfectly or download the file for local playback. It seems you need to set a password before you can use SMB.

Disk format. I tried an SD card formatted as exFAT and this could not be read by the FileHub. I'm not sure if exFAT would work with a USB drive or not but I see this as a real limitation of the FileHub. FAT and FAT32 work fine and looking at the firmware notes, it appears NTFS does too.

Photographs. At a push, this device could work as a replacement to the camera connection kit. Inserting an SD card or USB drive (CF card using a USB card reader) lets you browse your images and select specific or all images. You can upload these to your IOS device, the Airstor app lets you navigate it's own internal folder hierarchy and select a location. You could then open these images in your camera roll although I'm not sure if you can open multiple images in one go. This isn't as elegant a solution as the camera connection kit and involves an extra step but it is at least functional. What is probably of more use is the ability to upload images from your IOS device directly to an SD card or USB drive say when on vacation either as a backup or to allow you to then free up that space on the IOS device. You also have the option of using this method to share these files with other users although there are already apps that let you do that directly via Wifi or Bluetooth and airdrop in IOS 7 will also let you do this sharing function.

For me, this purchase is a no brainer if you want to travel with a lot of media and are running short on space on your IOS device or if you have just the base model to start with. It also makes sense for a whole family travelling with IOS devices as you can treat this as a portable NAS device and share content to all clients. You can easily swap out SD cards and USB drives when required but because it is a full sized SD slot, you can insert a large capacity SD card fully so it sits flush with the unit and use it as a form of semi permanent storage. You can pick up Ravpower Wireless Filehub and a 64GB SDXC card for less than half the price it would cost you to upgrade from a 16GB to 64GB iPad. You may lose a little bit of convenience with the limited internal storage but you would gain much more practicality and flexibility as well as this being a one off cost so you would save even more each time you bought a new iPad for example.

I'm a fan and the only two things I would love to see are improved transfer speeds and exFAT support.

Amazing post, you just answered all my questions that I didn't questioned because, well..you already said. Almost. I didn't understand the "streaming" part. You said that to watch a video in mov, you just open with ios native player, but to watch a movie in a different format you have to download it. But then you talk about streaming...with nPlayer (I gess..like any other app). How it's that possible? It will work with VLC with .srt subtitles? (everybody want to know I think) How smooth it plays a 720p movie in mkv in streaming?

Thanks! I'm considering buy this product if it really do all this!

Donka
Mar 6, 2014, 05:23 PM
Amazing post, you just answered all my questions that I didn't questioned because, well..you already said. Almost. I didn't understand the "streaming" part. You said that to watch a video in mov, you just open with ios native player, but to watch a movie in a different format you have to download it. But then you talk about streaming...with nPlayer (I gess..like any other app). How it's that possible? It will work with VLC with .srt subtitles? (everybody want to know I think) How smooth it plays a 720p movie in mkv in streaming?

Thanks! I'm considering buy this product if it really do all this!

Thx. For standard IOS supported movie formats, you can just stream with the Airstor app. To stream other formats, you would need to use an app that both supports that format and can also access smb network shares. NPlayer is snow excellent app for this. I don't think the IOS version of VLC can access network shares, I think it can only play back local files. If this is true then you would need yo download the file in the Airstor and and then use open in and select VLC. So technically you would not be streaming the movie file, just downloading from the wifidisk first and then playing it locally on your IOS device.

Pedro883420
Mar 6, 2014, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the fast reply. Actually the iOS version of VLC have a "local network" option..so probably it will work as it can recognise ravpower as network streamer.. I will dig some more into this, but so far..it's brilliant. However, I'm still looking to kingston mobilelite as a more reliable device as it have an app from the same company and a good support. Shorter battery bank...but it's kingston.

Thanks one more time

Donka
Mar 6, 2014, 05:58 PM
Ok let me know if you want me to try VLC with them as I have both the Ravpower & the Kingston. Won't be tonight though as it's getting late.

mrbliss
Mar 7, 2014, 12:33 PM
I agree and I actually got in contact with musicmount again directly. EXCELLENT customer service.

He mentioned that they posted a video on how to get this running on your wifidisk. I went through the video and it basically shows you exactly what you need to do - much better than the instructions. I told Christoph at music mount where I got lost in the instructions, and he is taking the feedback to make things simpler.

How-to video (http://musicmount.org/2014/02/18/wireless-drives/)

The video here is great. You should definitely take a look.

Great stuff! Thanks for your help with this.

I haven't got a RAVPower or IOS device to play with at the moment, but I've done some experiments preparing a USB drive in Windows using the MusicMount tool. I had to experiment a little with the command line prompt, but got it to successfully run using:

C:\musicmount-1.4\musicmount-1.4\bin\musicmount.bat build F:\Music F:\musicmount

Where F:\ is the USB drive.

I've saved this line in notepad as a .bat file, so I presume that all I need to do to add new music is plug the drive into my PC, double click the .bat file and it will update the web server?

Would there be any way in the future of running the MusicMount tool directly from the iPad to update the web server in the RAVpower over Wifi? Music could then be downloaded directly on the iPad, copied to the RAVpower using its default app or compatible file manager and then added to the web server without the need for a PC or Mac, making it a completely computer less solution.

I also have another quick question, have you tied playing any gapless albums via the Ravpower using MusicMount Interested to hear whether this combination can handle that or if it leaves gaps when playing them?

peapody
Mar 7, 2014, 04:23 PM
Lol sorry I don't know the answers to your questions.. I am not affiliated with music mount.

mrbliss
Mar 8, 2014, 06:52 AM
Lol sorry I don't know the answers to your questions.. I am not affiliated with music mount.

Sorry, wasn't expecting you to answer all of this. Was hoping the music mount man might turn up. I'll email them and see. Thanks again for your help with this.

peapody
Mar 8, 2014, 07:21 AM
He got banned so email would be the best way.

mrbliss
Mar 9, 2014, 11:47 AM
He got banned so email would be the best way.
It's a real shame that the forum modulators see fit to respond to someone genuinely trying to help in this way.

Pedro883420
Mar 9, 2014, 12:49 PM
Ok let me know if you want me to try VLC with them as I have both the Ravpower & the Kingston. Won't be tonight though as it's getting late.

I'm sorry the late reply, and thanks for your help. I'm more interested in the kingston device because I think it has (or should have) better support, in this case from kingston which is a great company.
VLC is the player that I use but if nPlayer is better, no problem. But I would like to know if it works with VLC anyway, but I know that external srt subtitles don't work in the local network streaming mode. It also doesn't work with nPlayer?

Thanks a lot!

Donka
Mar 9, 2014, 04:23 PM
Np. I'll try and find time to test this out tomorrow.

phoenixbirdy
Mar 11, 2014, 12:48 PM
I have a problem with Filehub, might be someone can help me.
Just purchased FileHub and SD card, set it up, installed AirStor on my iphone 5 and ipad (first generation), copied couple movies on SD card (purchased on iTunes, is it mp4 format?, files as large: ~2Gb and ~4.5GB).
Now I'm trying to stream movies on my iphone and iPad from AirStor..
iPhone gives me an error when I click on the movie in AirStor: Cannot open file.
iPad is showing the player interface but don't do anything for a long time.

I don't know if it matters, but just additional information:
I have less then 1/2 of Gb on my iPhone of the free space
iPad has much more available

Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?
Otherwise I just have to give up and send the device back to Amazon, though I really like the idea to use this setup.
Thank you!!!

Donka
Mar 11, 2014, 06:08 PM
I have a problem with Filehub, might be someone can help me.
Just purchased FileHub and SD card, set it up, installed AirStor on my iphone 5 and ipad (first generation), copied couple movies on SD card (purchased on iTunes, is it mp4 format?, files as large: ~2Gb and ~4.5GB).
Now I'm trying to stream movies on my iphone and iPad from AirStor..
iPhone gives me an error when I click on the movie in AirStor: Cannot open file.
iPad is showing the player interface but don't do anything for a long time.

I don't know if it matters, but just additional information:
I have less then 1/2 of Gb on my iPhone of the free space
iPad has much more available

Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?
Otherwise I just have to give up and send the device back to Amazon, though I really like the idea to use this setup.
Thank you!!!

Do you have any other files you can try? What kind of SD card is it?

phoenixbirdy
Mar 11, 2014, 06:17 PM
The SD card is: Komputerbay 64Gb SDXC http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LCIU1E/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have tried 3 movies so far (all are from iTunes store with different sizes). I'll try to find some smaller files this evening and give you an update.
Thank you!

peapody
Mar 11, 2014, 06:39 PM
I would stick in a USB to see if it is a problem with the SDXC

phoenixbirdy
Mar 11, 2014, 09:49 PM
Update: I've connected an external hard drive with USB.
I can see all content, navigate through items, tried to play avi, mpg files (quite small size, 500-700Mb) - I get a message Cannot open.

So far, I wasn't able to play anything from AirStor, but can see the list of files and folders only...
And I tested on both, iPhone and iPad.

Donka
Mar 12, 2014, 07:55 AM
The SD card is: Komputerbay 64Gb SDXC http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LCIU1E/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have tried 3 movies so far (all are from iTunes store with different sizes). I'll try to find some smaller files this evening and give you an update.
Thank you!

That is the exact same one I use without any issues. It may be an issue with the Airstor app. Have you got a laptop or similar you can connect to the Filehub Wifi connection with and try using VLC or similar to play the content?

----------

Can you also confirm you have the latest firmware on the unit and using the latest Airstor app?

SimonGardner
Mar 13, 2014, 04:40 AM
I've found this thread interesting. I've started using a RavPower RP-WD01 within the last couple of days. I'm using it with my Note 3 phone and my Macs.

The first thing was that the device though it reads SD cards just fine it won't recognise any of my 50+Tb of external Mac formatted drives. On advice from RavPower, I reformatted an old 500Gb drive originally inside an old Mac to FAT and loaded it with media, this now works. It recognises files and I can (for instance) view JPGs and play all movies - the latter using VLC. I think the JPGs are being displayed using an internal image viewer on the device. Haven't found a way to stop it doing that yet and allowing me to use my phone's apps.

(My phone is 96Gb - shortly to go up to 160Gb.) One of the things I was hoping to do was shift files to and from the phone and the drive as existing methods of doing so between Mac and Androis are a horrible kludge [Android File Transfer]. Thanks Apple for making that so difficult and problematic and not mounting these phones on the desktop. (A bit like PC stuff decades ago wouldn't for a long time.)

I have moved individual files but haven't yet found a way to move entire folders or batches of files.

If I'm going to use this as a mobile card reader for camera cards, that will have to be solved. In fact it has to be solved anyway.

I'm not sure why there appear to be alternative phone apps doing roughly the same thing: RAV Filehub or AirStor.

And has anyone seen a dedicated Mac application that talks to a RavPower RP-WD01? I can certainly connect to its wifi.

Pedro883420
Mar 18, 2014, 07:51 AM
Well....I don't even know what to say..but my Kingston MobileLite (I know..it's not RavPower) just arrived, and I tested it with a class 4 16GB ScanDisk SD card (so not the best) and used VLC to play a 720p MKV, with no success because VLC doesn't recognize SMB networks. So yeah, I bought nPlayer and man..this were the best 4 I ever spent..Amazing functionality, simple menus, video ajustments, just WOW. Thanks Donka for your posts and excellent review and tip on nPlayer.

Thanks!

Donka
Mar 18, 2014, 08:13 AM
Well....I don't even know what to say..but my Kingston MobileLite (I know..it's not RavPower) just arrived, and I tested it with a class 4 16GB ScanDisk SD card (so not the best) and used VLC to play a 720p MKV, with no success because VLC doesn't recognize SMB networks. So yeah, I bought nPlayer and man..this were the best 4 I ever spent..Amazing functionality, simple menus, video ajustments, just WOW. Thanks Donka for your posts and excellent review and tip on nPlayer.

Thanks!

You're welcome. nPlayer is unrelated to these devices but it is a great app and well recommended as it works so well. Sorry I didn't get round to testing the srt files - just been very busy at the moment.

lucabrand
Mar 22, 2014, 10:24 AM
Is it possible to download a file from an external hard drive and edit it (pages, keynotes, word...)? And after the edition can I upload this file of my IPad to the external hard drive?
Thanks

Donka
Mar 22, 2014, 05:24 PM
Is it possible to download a file from an external hard drive and edit it (pages, keynotes, word...)? And after the edition can I upload this file of my IPad to the external hard drive?
Thanks

Yes. You can use an app like Goodreader or Readdle Docs to manage the files and upload & download from the external drive. You can also use the drives app to pull the file down and open in the likes of pages and then do the same with the edited file. From pages, open in the drive app and then upload to the drive.

mrbliss
Apr 12, 2014, 05:17 AM
I'm going to give this a go in conjunction with MusicMount.

Can someone recommend a good Windows app to embed artwork that iTunes has found into the actual music files, as I understand that artwork is normally stored iItunes and will be missing when browsing the music using MusicMount. Also all other meta data if this is not automatically stored in the files?

I'm hoping to retain as much library structure as I can, as I have spent hours meticulously correcting errors in regard to compilation albums, incorrectly named tracks and manually adding album artwork where iTunes couldn't find any, or found the incorrect artwork.

Google throws up quite a few solutions, but a lot of them sound like they will try and replace artwork and tags with what the app thinks it should be, or are only available for apple devices. Also, most of the solutions I have read about only mention MP3, and most of my music is m4a.

Looking for a relatively automated solution as I have 19,000 songs!

musicmount
Apr 12, 2014, 03:10 PM
As far as I know iTunes embeds all meta data except cover art.

You can embed the images using "Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes". The Embed Artwork (http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart) script will re-embed artwork downloaded from the iTunes Store into the files of the selected tracks.

NOTE: this script cannot handle processing more than about an album's worth of tracks per launch due to the way iTunes manages the graphics data.

EDIT: AppleScript is Mac OS only!

mrbliss
Apr 12, 2014, 05:39 PM
As far as I know iTunes embeds all meta data except cover art.

You can embed the images using "Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes". The Embed Artwork (http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart) script will re-embed artwork downloaded from the iTunes Store into the files of the selected tracks.

NOTE: this script cannot handle processing more than about an album's worth of tracks per launch due to the way iTunes manages the graphics data.

EDIT: AppleScript is Mac OS only!

Good to hear from you MusicMount. Doug's Script came up a lot in my searches, but as you say, its only for Mac OS. If it can only handle an album per launch then its not going to work for me.

This Windows app looks like it will do the trick, has anyone used it?

http://www.maximized.com/shareware/icoverart/docs23.htm

spaghetti head
May 28, 2014, 11:16 AM
I just purchased a new RavPower RP-WD01 and I have it connected so that my iPad will see it. I put in an SD card and with either a USB flash drive or my iPod classic connected I can't get the files (photos) to move. The file hub sees all of the attached drives, folders and files, but when I select download, it just sits there at 0, nothing moves. Am I missing something?

Zmanbaseball2
May 28, 2014, 12:59 PM
I'm getting a ravpower file hub to review:) I hope I like it.

spaghetti head
May 28, 2014, 02:55 PM
I just purchased a new RavPower RP-WD01 and I have it connected so that my iPad will see it. I put in an SD card and with either a USB flash drive or my iPod classic connected I can't get the files (photos) to move. The file hub sees all of the attached drives, folders and files, but when I select download, it just sits there at 0, nothing moves. Am I missing something?

I tried it again and AirStor kept asking for my ID and password. I put in what I had set it up with and it said it was wrong, it also kept going back and forth between several screens. It would let me see the photos, then ask for the password.

So I deleted AirStor from my iPad, then reinstalled it. A whole new box popped up asking for my password. I was skeptical, but I put it in any way. It was happy. I inserted my USB flash drive and it moved some photos from my SD card, fairly quickly too. So it looks like I have it working now.

peapody
Jun 2, 2014, 12:45 PM
I was using music mount for a while but updating the files got to be a little too cumbersome for me. Now I just use it to watch movies and tv shows off a 128gb SDHC card. Great product.

mrbliss
Jun 8, 2014, 10:30 AM
In finally got a chance to visit my friend and attempt to get her ipad working with a music collection on hard drive using musicmount and Ravpower file hub.

Not much success I'm afraid and I wonder if it is a compatibility problem with the HDD, as it didn't seem to recognise it at all. The LED didn't light up, whereas with a USB stick, the LED flashed and I was able to navigate to the root dir and see files using the iPad.

I was using a Toshiba Store.E 50gb drive:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005X7AXW0/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't get a change to try musicmount on a USB to confirm if that worked, but that wouldn't solve the problem anyway, the music takes up over 300gb, so I need it to work with a 500gb drive.

Any ideas why it couldn't read the drive? Its formatted NTFS, which I have read should work.

Unfortunately I'm not in position to experiment anymore on this myself as we live far apart, but could give simple instructions over the phone.

Hope somebody can help!

Donka
Jun 8, 2014, 12:30 PM
I have the 2gb version of that drive and it worked for me. WAs the Ravpower on the latest firmware?

mrbliss
Jun 8, 2014, 02:24 PM
I have the 2gb version of that drive and it worked for me. WAs the Ravpower on the latest firmware?

Thanks Donka

Not sure about the firmware, it was purchased recently so should be relatively up to date.

Is your 2gb drive NTFS?

Donka
Jun 8, 2014, 03:49 PM
Thanks Donka

Not sure about the firmware, it was purchased recently so should be relatively up to date.

Is your 2gb drive NTFS?

No. It's exfat. Not sure if I have tested this with an ntfs drive.

iSton3d
Jun 9, 2014, 01:57 PM
Iam about to purchase this device, but before i do i need to know if the AirStor app able to view/preview .RAW files. Does anybody know that? Thanks :-)

mrbliss
Jun 10, 2014, 04:51 AM
No. It's exfat. Not sure if I have tested this with an ntfs drive.

Anyone on here can confirm it works with NTFS?

EmileBeaulieu
Jun 15, 2014, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know how to use VLC directly to watch things from the drive? I can use the RAV Filehub app to access them, and if they won't play in that, open them in VLC from the Filehub app, but I'd rather just browse and play things directly from VLC.

I'm using an iPhone 5s.

ispofacto
Jun 20, 2014, 01:19 PM
I am thinking of purchasing this device, but before I do I would like to know if it is possible to use VLC/nPlayer or another app to stream videos with srt subtitles with it?