PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Finder?

RadDave
Apr 18, 2013, 08:30 PM
Hello All - I'm transitioning from PCs to Apple in my early retirement- have a MBP & an iMac on order - learning Mtn Lion and have been frustrated w/ Finder (no multiple panels & sub-folder listings to transfer files) - IS there a good substitute? In searching the web, I've found a number of options listed below - I'd appreciate comments & suggestions on which of these programs may be the best - would prefer 'free' or a less expensive option, but willing to pay - thanks! :)

Finder Substitutes:

DiskOrder - $20
ForkLift 2 - $20
muCommander - free
PathFinder - $40
TotalFinder - $18
XFile - $60
Xfolders - free
XtraFinder - free

Hookemfins
Apr 18, 2013, 08:59 PM
I use xtrafinder and it works for the most part. It's not effective in the tree mode. I had the same problem as I came from a windows background.

dastinger
Apr 19, 2013, 05:28 AM
Love TotalFinder. Can't work without it.

printz
Apr 19, 2013, 05:37 AM
If you didn't know already, you can drag folders to the dock. You'll be able to access the file system in a similar manner to the Windows start menu, with some aspect customization (big icons, fan-like or menu look). They're the so-called "stacks" and I use them to go to often-accessed locations.

Also, when in document applications right-click the small icon from the title bar; it will let you access the location in Finder quickly. You can even rename or move files while they're open, no conflicts.

justperry
Apr 19, 2013, 05:42 AM
Hello All - I'm transitioning from PCs to Apple in my early retirement- have a MBP & an iMac on order - learning Mtn Lion and have been frustrated w/ Finder (no multiple panels & sub-folder listings to transfer files) - IS there a good substitute? In searching the web, I've found a number of options listed below - I'd appreciate comments & suggestions on which of these programs may be the best - would prefer 'free' or a less expensive option, but willing to pay - thanks! :)

Finder Substitutes:

DiskOrder - $20
ForkLift 2 - $20
muCommander - free
PathFinder - $40
TotalFinder - $18
XFile - $60
Xfolders - free
XtraFinder - free

Forget about the windows doctrine, your using Apple now, learn it.:p

But, if you need one I would get XtraFinder.

talmy
Apr 19, 2013, 12:02 PM
...have been frustrated w/ Finder (no multiple panels & sub-folder listings to transfer files)...

You can open multiple finder windows. You can get subfolder listings -- just get out of the (default) icon view -- explore the list and column views. Folders will also spring open if you drag on top of them and pause a second.

RadDave
Apr 19, 2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the additional comments! :)

Actually, I have opened 2 Finder windows, re-sized to fit the screen, and did some dragging and dropping - should be a fine solution for a small batch of files, and may be all that I will need?

But, if all were completely pleased w/ Finder's only solutions, then there would be little need for all of the free & paid programs being offered? I'm sure that my list is far from complete - will continue to explore the options. :D

w0lf
Apr 19, 2013, 01:11 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and recommend you get XtraFinder.

Here's why:

1) It's free, so there's no real harm in trying it
2) It adds a way to create basic new documents like .txt without opening a program first which is something I know I felt was 'missing' after using Windows
3) It makes several things easier like moving documents with cut & paste
4) It has the ability to do side by side panels like you wanted
5) It integrates with the existing finder and it's small so it's not some huge new experience to get used it just makes the existing finder easier to use and more feature complete

I personally would never want to go back to using just the standard Finder as I feel like it is pretty lacking in some aspects.

MacUser2525
Apr 19, 2013, 01:54 PM
The only one listed that I have used is PathFinder a great little program I have used for years. It has dual pane file browser mode in which you can have multiple tabs open for directories. You can also add things like a move/copy to button to its toolbar allowing you to quickly do those operation on a file/group of files. Another program you may want to check out is Default FolderX it adds to the file Open/Save of OSX allowing you to set favorite directories to save to or open from if they are used a lot.

stchman
Apr 19, 2013, 02:00 PM
Forget about the windows doctrine, your using Apple now, learn it.:p

But, if you need one I would get XtraFinder.

The OP is using OS X now, but that still does not change the fact that Finder sucks.

maflynn
Apr 19, 2013, 02:02 PM
I like PathFinder and its part of MacHeist (http://macheist.com) which should get beyond the threshold in a week and you that means you have it for 10 dollars and not 40

stchman
Apr 19, 2013, 03:13 PM
I like PathFinder and its part of MacHeist (http://macheist.com) which should get beyond the threshold in a week and you that means you have it for 10 dollars and not 40

I just bought a bundle, hopefully they will get to 30,000 bundles sold to unlock PathFinder.

Isamilis
Apr 19, 2013, 06:48 PM
Don't forget that standard finder do have cut-paste function. Just do cmd-C to copy and option-right-click to select "move".
I came from totalfinder just for cut-paste features and back to the standard after knowing this.

dastinger
Apr 19, 2013, 08:31 PM
Don't forget that standard finder do have cut-paste function. Just do cmd-C to copy and option-right-click to select "move".
I came from totalfinder just for cut-paste features and back to the standard after knowing this.
Easier to CMD + X than Option-Right Click and selecting 'Move' ;)

Tiptizzle
Apr 19, 2013, 09:51 PM

That doesn't work for me?

justperry
Apr 19, 2013, 10:15 PM
The OP is using OS X now, but that still does not change the fact that Finder sucks.

:confused:
I know, read before you make such a comment.:p

ipsychedelic
Apr 19, 2013, 10:53 PM
Another vote for Path Finder.
CAn't live without it.

The only drawback is the inability to copy dropbox public file's URL (something to do with Dropbox devs, says PathFinder support) and having to use finder as well to "Right Click->Open" for downloaded apps not via the AppStore (since I have ML's gatekeeper on).

coops
Apr 20, 2013, 12:11 AM
Used Pathfinder for a while, but now use Totalfinder.

Integrates with Finder, and enables dual pane (at your choice).
Enables Folders on top - hurrah.

The 'Visor' is great - mine is setup so double tapping the option key brings up the finder window (at whatever size you last left it). It then disappears once you click anywhere else outside finder (or can be toggled to stay 'on top' in view).

Very very good.

Think there's a free trial period, so i recommend giving it a go and getting used to the Mac Finder column view.

maflynn
Apr 20, 2013, 08:06 AM
I just bought a bundle, hopefully they will get to 30,000 bundles sold to unlock PathFinder.

They've reached 20k fairly quickly, and they've always hit the thresholds to unlock other apps in the past so I'm not terribly worried.

talmy
Apr 20, 2013, 10:03 AM

It's not CMD-X (which is "Cut" and not available in Finder).

You do a CMD-C ("Copy") of the source and then in the destination folder do a Option-CMD-V ("Move Item Here").

dastinger
Apr 20, 2013, 01:59 PM
That doesn't work for me?

It's not CMD-X (which is "Cut" and not available in Finder).

You do a CMD-C ("Copy") of the source and then in the destination folder do a Option-CMD-V ("Move Item Here").
Both with TotalFinder and XtraFinder CMD + X works. I use it all the time (no configurations needed regarding that).

Silvereel
Apr 20, 2013, 06:24 PM
If it makes things easier for you, by all means, use an alternative. It's good to have options for different people, I'm sure I like some things others don't, and vice versa. But still, I really don't understand why a lot of people hate the Finder so much. It seems fine to me.

ipsychedelic
Apr 20, 2013, 08:17 PM
But still, I really don't understand why a lot of people hate the Finder so much. It seems fine to me.

I don't know, for me maybe it was the fact I came from a Windows background before going cold turkey on OS X and then I just missed some of the familiarity in explorer (yes, you can say, which familiarity????). I don't know, hard to explain.

RadDave
Apr 20, 2013, 08:35 PM
BOY, I came on this evening and SO many posts - I guess that indicates Finder is not an ideal option for many - :D

Thanks for all of the responses - last night, I DL a 'free trial' of Total Finder which behaves like a 'plug-in' to Finder, but seems to provide a number of excellent options, including a 'dual pane' selection allowing easy transfer of multiple files between folders - not sure that I'll need much more - but will play more w/ the 14-day 'free' use before deciding on an $18 purchase. Dave :)

thestickman
Apr 20, 2013, 08:46 PM
To OP:

I used Windows from 3.11 up to Vista. Changed to Mac. Took me a week to get finder figured out. It's just not that hard. All sorts of how-to vids up at You Tube. Tis' your 'puter & your $$$ but getting used to finder is not a difficult task, IMO. YMMV.

Silvereel
Apr 20, 2013, 09:03 PM
I don't know, for me maybe it was the fact I came from a Windows background before going cold turkey on OS X and then I just missed some of the familiarity in explorer (yes, you can say, which familiarity????). I don't know, hard to explain.

Fair enough, one of the first things I did was install Cinch, so I could get something like Aero Snap. I've grown to like the Finder but, again, different things work for different people :o

ipsychedelic
Apr 20, 2013, 10:12 PM
Fair enough, one of the first things I did was install Cinch, so I could get something like Aero Snap. I've grown to liek the Finder but, again, different things work for different people :o

And another thing I hate about Finder is its useless .DS_Store (http://www.aorensoftware.com/blog/2011/12/24/death-to-ds_store/) and friends creation... so whenever I open Finder to do the Right-Click=> Open or to copy a Dropbox link I just get shivers just to think it will start creating those useless critters while I'm using it (I reckon I might have a case of OCD).

But anyway, I think the OP got enough feedback to make a choice now :)

maflynn
Apr 22, 2013, 07:05 AM

PathFinder is now unlocked so download and enjoy :D

RadDave
Apr 22, 2013, 03:12 PM
To OP:

I used Windows from 3.11 up to Vista. Changed to Mac. Took me a week to get finder figured out. It's just not that hard. All sorts of how-to vids up at You Tube. Tis' your 'puter & your $$$ but getting used to finder is not a difficult task, IMO. YMMV.

Well, I was not finding Finder hard to figure out, but just limited - so far, Total Finder seems to fill in those gaps for me - have another 10 days on the 'free trial' - thanks for the comment - Dave :)

satcomer
Apr 22, 2013, 06:20 PM

Finder Substitutes:

DiskOrder - $20
ForkLift 2 - $20
muCommander - free
PathFinder - $40
TotalFinder - $18
XFile - $60
Xfolders - free
XtraFinder - free

You forgot Default Folder X (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7214/default-folder-x).

BDM STUDIOS NL
Apr 22, 2013, 06:28 PM
TotalFinder!

Don't forget to try the split screen CMD + U command please. Handy-Candy! :-)

RadDave
Apr 22, 2013, 07:27 PM
You forgot Default Folder X (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7214/default-folder-x).

Sorry - that was just a 'preliminary' list - I'm sure that there are a number of other options, as the one mentioned.

BUT, just need one good choice and not interested in trying out a dozen or so for that choice - Total Finder seems to satisfy my purposes and willing to pay the modest price of admission - have always supported these developers - thanks for the additional suggestion! Dave :)

BDM STUDIOS NL
Apr 22, 2013, 07:29 PM
Sorry - that was just a 'preliminary' list - I'm sure that there are a number of other options, as the one mentioned.

BUT, just need one good choice and not interested in trying out a dozen or so for that choice - Total Finder seems to satisfy my purposes and willing to pay the modest price of admission - have always supported these developers - thanks for the additional suggestion! Dave :)

Very good choise! Cheers.

coops
Apr 23, 2013, 11:28 PM
RadDave - don't forget to setup the 'visor' function in the preferences, so you get easy keyboard access to finder anytime, and the Folders on top option under 'Tweaks' (unless you like your folders alphabetically listed with files... diehard Unix users ahoy!)

BDM STUDIOS NL
Apr 24, 2013, 05:47 AM
RadDave - don't forget to setup the 'visor' function in the preferences, so you get easy keyboard access to finder anytime, and the Folders on top option under 'Tweaks' (unless you like your folders alphabetically listed with files... diehard Unix users ahoy!)

Very goog add!

mr.thing
Apr 24, 2013, 06:59 AM
PathFinder is good if you are willing to pay. Otherwise XtraFinder will do the work most of time. I wrote a little blog post (http://www.kostik.me/2013/01/your-files-not-your-way.html) about File Management and Finder when I switched from Windows. Sort of got used to XtraFinder now...

stchman
Apr 24, 2013, 12:13 PM
PathFinder is now unlocked so download and enjoy :D

I really like PathFinder, Finder's suckiness is a thing of the past.

Looks like Macheist has extended the nanoBundle 3 with an addition of a software package called Money.

Luis Ortega
Apr 24, 2013, 12:33 PM
What's the problem with Finder?
Do you people spend all your computer time shuffling files around?
I grew up on Windows from 3.1 on, and bought a mac 5 years ago. Still use Windows. I find Finder easier to use to move files, folders, etc. Windows Explorer is also fine.
What's crap is that tablets don't let you use a file system.

hackerwayne
Apr 24, 2013, 01:24 PM

Finder Substitutes:

DiskOrder - $20
ForkLift 2 - $20
muCommander - free
PathFinder - $40
TotalFinder - $18
XFile - $60
Xfolders - free
XtraFinder - free

TotalFinder never expires lol... Im using it even after it expired.

stchman
Apr 24, 2013, 03:22 PM
I grew up on Windows from 3.1 on, and bought a mac 5 years ago. Still use Windows. I find Finder easier to use to move files, folders, etc. Windows Explorer is also fine.

Finder sucks compared to Windows Explorer and Ubuntu Nautilus. For the most part Finder works, but seriously lacks in features.

Path Finder for the $9.99 price tag brings OS X a pretty feature rich file manager.

I don't use tablets as IMO they are just toy book readers (sorry if I offended anyone).

RadDave
Apr 24, 2013, 07:40 PM
TotalFinder never expires lol... Im using it even after it expired.

Well, probably true but I'd be embarrassed to admit it in a public forum - ;)

If an independent developer makes a good product and asks a modest price to support his or her efforts, then I'm willing to pay - I guess that it's similar to listening to NPR - yes, you can hear it for free but don't you feel better contributing? BTW - we are annual day sponsors to our local NPR station - just my 2 cents and no one has to agree - Dave :)

BDM STUDIOS NL
Apr 25, 2013, 06:19 AM
Finder sucks compared to Windows Explorer and Ubuntu Nautilus. For the most part Finder works, but seriously lacks in features.

Thumbs UP!

Path Finder for the $9.99 price tag brings OS X a pretty feature rich file manager.

Totally agree, good point! Nice tool-for-the-bucks!!

I don't use tablets as IMO they are just toy book readers (sorry if I offended anyone).

BS!!!! imho

“We are pleased to report record March quarter revenue thanks to continued strong performance of iPhone and iPad. Our teams are hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software, and services and we are very excited about the products in our pipeline.” ~ Tim Cook. [\*]

NUFF SAID!!!

RadDave
Apr 29, 2013, 10:13 PM
Total Finder has disappeared! :eek:

Well, I've been trying out this program and still had 10 days or so left - returned from a 3 day trip, booted up my MBP, and opened Finder - WELL, no tabs or message indicating the days left on my trial - SEEMS like this program just disappeared? Maybe it's 'hiding' somewhere but cannot seem to find a reason - anyone else have this experience? Thanks - Dave :)

BDM STUDIOS NL
Apr 30, 2013, 03:02 AM
Total Finder has disappeared! :eek:

Well, I've been trying out this program and still had 10 days or so left - returned from a 3 day trip, booted up my MBP, and opened Finder - WELL, no tabs or message indicating the days left on my trial - SEEMS like this program just disappeared? Maybe it's 'hiding' somewhere but cannot seem to find a reason - anyone else have this experience? Thanks - Dave :)

Perhaps they unstalled it beacuase it's going to be implemented in OSX 10.9!
Farfetched???

RadDave
Apr 30, 2013, 09:27 AM
Perhaps they unstalled it beacuase it's going to be implemented in OSX 10.9!
Farfetched???

Well, one would think that Apple should pay some attention to these plugins - :D

I just visited the 'Total Finder' website, entered the support section, and had a number of hits concerning this disappearance issue - one response quoted below suggesting that this can be 'normal' behavior - as suggested I enter apps, click on the Finder icon and the tabs & expiration date of Total Finder re-appeared - not a big issue @ all. Dave :)

Hi, this behaviour is by design. You may simply run /Applications/TotalFinder.app to re-inject TotalFinder again.

BDM STUDIOS NL
May 9, 2013, 06:38 AM
Well, one would think that Apple should pay some attention to these plugins - :D

I just visited the 'Total Finder' website, entered the support section, and had a number of hits concerning this disappearance issue - one response quoted below suggesting that this can be 'normal' behavior - as suggested I enter apps, click on the Finder icon and the tabs & expiration date of Total Finder re-appeared - not a big issue @ all. Dave :)

Thanks for your info! Cheers.

printz
May 9, 2013, 09:01 AM
Finder sucks compared to Windows Explorer and Ubuntu Nautilus.Eh, I think Finder is better at dragging and dropping. Also, only Finder has the column browser mode. And I can extend Finder's usability by writing Services/Automator scripts and pinning them to the toolbar or keyboard.

I can't say I like Nautilus (the Ubuntu 12.10 version at least). It looks too much like Finder but controls are less obvious.

Thunderbird
May 9, 2013, 07:49 PM
Path Finder
Total Finder
Xtra Finder

Apple should just acquire these great little app companies and implement all their features, and be done with it. Ridiculous that a major O/S has such a crude and sloppy file manager.

Ledgem
May 10, 2013, 04:13 PM
The biggest thing that bothers me about Finder is the way that folders are shuffled in with regular files. Windows would list all of the folders first, and then the files. I used Xtrafinder primarily to regain that sort of organization.

I removed Xtrafinder after acquiring Path Finder through the most recent Macheist bundle. I was initially cool to the idea of tabs for file navigation, but now I like it. Path Finder's "drop stack" feature (a sort of "basket" for moving files around) is pretty nice, too, although I already had that functionality added to Finder with Yoink (cheap app from the Mac App Store). I also appreciate that move/copy operations don't generate a new window of their own, and instead are in a pop-up pane.

Path Finder has many more capabilities than I'm using it for, but I like it quite a bit.

Dale Sorel
May 10, 2013, 04:31 PM
Here's another vote for XtraFinder... used to be a TotalFinder user until I came across XtraFinder. Does a little more, and it's free.

Isamilis
May 11, 2013, 08:14 PM
Here's another vote for XtraFinder... used to be a TotalFinder user until I came across XtraFinder. Does a little more, and it's free.

+1 for this. I also found that XtraFinder use less memory than TotalFinder. However, I use basic finder now since it already has cut/paste functionality in ML.

dastinger
May 13, 2013, 05:24 PM
I gotta say that, since this thread was opnened, I've been using Xtra Finder and I'm completely over TotalFinder. More options, lighter and free.

RadDave
May 13, 2013, 05:46 PM
I gotta say that, since this thread was opnened, I've been using Xtra Finder and I'm completely over TotalFinder. More options, lighter and free.

Well, I 'paid the price of admission' for TotalFinder and after a few 'bumps in the road', works fine for me (really not needed that much) - BUT, might give XtraFinder a try since it is free! Will be quite curious in the next update to Mountain Lion - Finder may be seeing some new functionality? :cool:

printz
May 14, 2013, 12:32 AM
I'm reluctant to use XtraFinder when what I see is an opaque .pkg installer. What is it going to do if I install it?

xgman
May 16, 2013, 02:36 PM
Of all the "pay" ones I tend to go to forklift most often.

Ddyracer
Jun 5, 2013, 09:18 AM
I hate how xtrafinder and totalfinder allow only one tab for each pane. (not window)

Too bad Pathfinder has it's own app, i want to quit it, don't like having it separate, i makes sense from a speed point of view but eh.

coops
Aug 25, 2013, 05:33 AM
Does xtrafinder have the 'hot key' option like totalfinder? By that, i mean in totalfinder i can double press the option key to bring up the totalfinder window - and it auto goes away as soon as i'm done ( unless i choose to pin it). This alone is fabulous...

I see xtrafinder does the necessary folders on top... oooh, that irritates me, jumbling up foldes and files.

pantome
Aug 27, 2013, 03:57 AM
I've moved from windows to mac for about a year.. I love everything about the mac but I still can't get used to Finder.. I think none of the available alternatives recreate the tree view of windows explorer effectively.

Zoidberg79
Mar 1, 2014, 10:03 PM
I've moved from windows to mac for about a year.. I love everything about the mac but I still can't get used to Finder.. I think none of the available alternatives recreate the tree view of windows explorer effectively.

I too have come form Windows (3.11, 95, 98, 2000, XP, 7). In all those versions of windows the "Windows Explorer" had the familiar "Folder Tree" view. There is nothing like this in Finder (column list view is a poor attempt). I think if there was a way to replicate the folder tree view by having a persistent folder column and a window that shows the contents of the currently selected folder then I think a lot of ex-windows users would feel more at home.

It would have to be one of the most productive views for working with files and folders.

I love my mac but the finder does have some shortcomings.

In summary here is my wish list for OSX 11 Finder:

1. Folder Tree view
2. Option for Folders to alway be at the top or the bottom of a list
3. For god sake, add RENAME to the right click menu.

talmy
Mar 1, 2014, 11:24 PM
3. For god sake, add RENAME to the right click menu.

Why? You can either click on the selected name or tap the Enter key. Much easier than in Windows.

GlenK
Mar 6, 2014, 09:01 AM
I use Path Finder and love it. Downloaded it a couple months ago and is the best $40 I ever spent on any Mac accessory or app. It makes finder like rubbing two sticks together.

talmy
Mar 6, 2014, 09:54 AM
Well, a year has passed since this thread started and we now have Mavericks which added tabs to Finder but removed the "Open in new window" shortcut. (Apple gives with one hand and takes away with another). I create a new tab and then drag it away to make it a new windows, but that is an extra step.

I use Windows, Mac OS, and Linux every day, so have been acclimated to the features, mis-features, and various shortcuts in each. I've used Macs for I guess about 8 years now and used Windows since the beginning.

As far as I'm concerned Finder has a certain elegance to it. Windows Explorer just seems to use too much screen real estate to accomplish the tasks. That tree view in Windows, I always find it getting in the way and turn it off -- it's called the "Navigation Pane" at least in Windows 7. I do know that I can get the task done faster with Finder. If you are coming from Windows it's important to remember that OS X is not the same and learn how to use it.

I do have Pathfinder and Forklift, got both in packages. I have found Pathfinder useful for changing extended attributes (something finder doesn't do) and permissions (which can't be handled as thoroughly in Finder) but otherwise I find it too bulky. Forklift I use for SFTP access to remote systems, for which it is very handy. 99% of the time I just use Finder.

I haven't mentioned Linux here. I've found the file browsers in Linux to be generally horrible and almost always just work from the command line which is also easy to do in OS X, less so in Windows.

Bl!zz
Apr 11, 2014, 10:37 PM
Mavericks … removed the "Open in new window" shortcut. (Apple gives with one hand and takes away with another). I create a new tab and then drag it away to make it a new windows, but that is an extra step.
– Alt + CMD + O: Open in New Window and Close current tab
– Ctrl + CMD + O: Open in New Tab
– Right click, then hold alt: Open in New Tab changes to Open in New Window

talmy
Apr 12, 2014, 10:28 AM
Right click, then hold alt: Open in New Tab changes to Open in New Window

Aha, but BOO! because the context menu isn't supposed to have items not in the application menu.

Bl!zz
Apr 12, 2014, 03:00 PM
You're right, guess they missed that one :rolleyes: Feel free to let them know. I've given up on reporting bugs. These days, I only send in feedback if I'm to the point of nagging about it :)

talmy
Apr 12, 2014, 06:32 PM
You're right, guess they missed that one :rolleyes: Feel free to let them know. I've given up on reporting bugs. These days, I only send in feedback if I'm to the point of nagging about it :)

I've actually reported it after my earlier reply. :)