Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rich_i

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Hi!

I would like to ask those who already have the new 15''PB with HD display if you have noticed any performance drop while copying files from Super Drive to hard drive, or while burning DVD? The new machine is supposed to have the Super Drive and hard drive on the same bus, which would suggest a potential bottleneck...

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Richard

edit: actually this might probably apply to the new 17'' PB as well

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
rich_i said:
Hi!

I would like to ask those who already have the new 15''PB with HD display if you have noticed any performance drop while copying files from Super Drive to hard drive, or while burning DVD? The new machine is supposed to have the Super Drive and hard drive on the same bus, which would suggest a potential bottleneck...

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Richard

edit: actually this might probably apply to the new 17'' PB as well

I dont know for sure, but I very much that Apple would do something to slow the performance down.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Where did you find that out?

I'm also interested in what the SuperDrive model is, and if it has the 8x speed problem the UJ-835E has (it never burns DVDs at 8x).

rich_i

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
dferrara said:
Where did you find that out?

I'm also interested in what the SuperDrive model is, and if it has the 8x speed problem the UJ-835E has (it never burns DVDs at 8x).

I've found it on AI site:

New PowerBook notes

Like the Power Macs, Apple's new PowerBook G4 systems are also running a special built train of Mac OS X 10.4.2, said to be build 8E45.

Additionally, the 15-inch and 17-inch models show some signs of a slight internal component reorganization. The laptops' sleep sensor is now located inside the display bezel rather than on the body of the unit.

Previous PowerBook systems included three internal speakers -- one under the keyboard and one each on the right- and left-hand sides -- while the new models rely on just left and right speakers.

Tipsters also report that inside the new PowerBooks both the hard drive and SuperDrive reside on the same ATA bus (where previously they were both 'masters' on separate ATA busses).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.