PDA

View Full Version : I acquired 3 PPC's and have some questions

ccoffin12man
Apr 19, 2013, 02:48 AM
I recently purchased two powermac g4's (sawtooth and quicksilver) and a G5 imac from a graphic design department for $60 total. The iMac wasn't running, but only needed a new power supply which I just put in, and now it works perfectly. Since it was a graphic design place that I got it from the imac has cs2 and cs3 on it as well as some other cool stuff. The QS has CS2 on it and iLife software and a few other things that are not on the G5. The Sawtooth has 9.2 loaded on it and nothing that I really want or need but 9.2 is pretty snappy on it.

question 1: I want to move the iLife stuff and a few other things from the QS to the iMac. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing it? Rather, what is the easiest way to do it?

Question 2: With CS3/CS2 how can I tell If it is licensed on the iMac, and/or can I transfer said license into my name? Same goes for cs2 on QS? I don't know that this really matters that much as I already have a license for CS6, but it is a student license where as I believe this cs3 copy is full retail and I don't know if having the license might come in handy later.

My plan is to keep the iMac as my kitchen computer, and something my wife can mess around with CS3 on, then use it as the kid computer as they get older. I'm probably going to sell the QS to my wife's sister because she wants CS2. And I have no idea what I am going to do with the sawtooth, so suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance and I will probably have more questions.

ResPublica
Apr 19, 2013, 03:02 AM
I recently purchased two powermac g4's (sawtooth and quicksilver) and a G5 imac from a graphic design department for $60 total. The iMac wasn't running, but only needed a new power supply which I just put in, and now it works perfectly. Since it was a graphic design place that I got it from the imac has cs2 and cs3 on it as well as some other cool stuff. The QS has CS2 on it and iLife software and a few other things that are not on the G5. The Sawtooth has 9.2 loaded on it and nothing that I really want or need but 9.2 is pretty snappy on it.

question 1: I want to move the iLife stuff and a few other things from the QS to the iMac. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing it? Rather, what is the easiest way to do it?

Question 2: With CS3/CS2 how can I tell If it is licensed on the iMac, and/or can I transfer said license into my name? Same goes for cs2 on QS? I don't know that this really matters that much as I already have a license for CS6, but it is a student license where as I believe this cs3 copy is full retail and I don't know if having the license might come in handy later.

My plan is to keep the iMac as my kitchen computer, and something my wife can mess around with CS3 on, then use it as the kid computer as they get older. I'm probably going to sell the QS to my wife's sister because she wants CS2. And I have no idea what I am going to do with the sawtooth, so suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance and I will probably have more questions.
Q1: Normally you remove applications by moving them to the Trash. Very complex applications like CS3 tend to leave some data behind, however, like the license file. With an application like AppCleaner you might be able to remove it completely, though perhaps you should look for app-specific instructions on the web. iLife can be removed simply by moving it to the trash.

Q2: I don't know the answer, but I can tell you that Adobe has recently made CS2 more or less freely available to the public: https://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

BTW; what version of OS X do the Macs have? I can recommend to install 10.4 'Tiger' or 10.5 'Leopard.'

ccoffin12man
Apr 19, 2013, 03:01 PM
The QS has 10.3/9.2 and the iMac has 10.4. sawtooth has 9.2. I have a 10.? install disk for the sawtooth, but I don't know that it is even worth it to install it. I have thought about parting it out as everything works and possibly using the case for a future hackintosh, but I think the QS case is prettier. At least if I parted it out somebody would be getting use out of the components as I currently don't have any use for it. Any suggestions as to how I could use it are also welcome.

Macsonic
Apr 19, 2013, 03:39 PM
Hi Ccoffin12Man. For question no. 1 the easiest way to transfer files to your iMac G5 is by target disc mode. You'll need a Firewire 400 cable to connect the Quicksilver to your iMac G5. Then restart your Quicksilver and hold down the "T" key before the boot screen/chime. After boot, your iMac G5 becomes like an "external hard drive". Details here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Target_Disk_Mode

Maybe you can keep the Quickslver and sell the Sawtooth. Just my opinion. The QS has higher specs and I think it is the only Mac that can do a "dual booth" into 2 OS back in 2003. It also comes with a dual processor of 1.25ghz as far as I know.

MisterKeeks
Apr 19, 2013, 04:01 PM
The QS has higher specs and I think it is the only Mac that can do a "dual booth" into 2 OS back in 2003. It also comes with a dual processor of 1.25ghz as far as I know.

That would be the FW400 MDD. The QS only went to DP 1.0.

You can use Migration Assistant, a built in utility in Mac OS X, to transfer applications, documents, email, music (everything) to another Mac. You would need a Firewire 400 cable.

ccoffin12man
Apr 19, 2013, 04:45 PM
Maybe you can keep the Quickslver and sell the Sawtooth. .

Hmmm update sawtooth to osx and put cs2 on it. Sell it to sister in law. I like that idea.

ResPublica
Apr 19, 2013, 05:11 PM
The QS has 10.3/9.2 and the iMac has 10.4. sawtooth has 9.2. I have a 10.? install disk for the sawtooth, but I don't know that it is even worth it to install it. I have thought about parting it out as everything works and possibly using the case for a future hackintosh, but I think the QS case is prettier. At least if I parted it out somebody would be getting use out of the components as I currently don't have any use for it. Any suggestions as to how I could use it are also welcome.
If you want to surf the web, you can't really do much with OS 9. I would always install 10.4 over 10.3; they are very similar in performance but Tiger is a lot better supported by third party applications and has better features. Leopard (10.5) is the best in features and support but it can really hurt the speed of your Mac; and you'll need a high-end G4 or any G5 with at least 750MB RAM for some acceptable performance.

Macsonic
Apr 19, 2013, 07:07 PM
That would be the FW400 MDD. The QS only went to DP 1.0.

You can use Migration Assistant, a built in utility in Mac OS X, to transfer applications, documents, email, music (everything) to another Mac. You would need a Firewire 400 cable.

Hi MisterKeeks. Yep its FW400. I used to have the PowerMac G4 at 1.25ghz and can dual boot to OS9 and OS10.2 Quicksilver. https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1757

You're also right that the 1.0Ghz can also do dual boots. :)