Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I have Verizon in the US and I don't get the alerts. Other people with VZW in my area get them, but I don't. Any help appreciated (Google didn't help).

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
Are they on? Go to Settings>Notifications and scroll down to the bottom. At the bottom you should see "Government Alerts". You can then turn on Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Are they on? Go to Settings>Notifications and scroll down to the bottom. At the bottom you should see "Government Alerts". You can then turn on Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts.

Haha, yea they are. There was also a flood-ish in my area too (Illionois).

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
I'm not sure then... I know that I always get alerts when those are on. If you want to try turning them off, and turning them back on you could try that?

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Wait really? Yes I'm using LTE on my 5. Kinda seems like a missed oppertunity.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I've heard that it's also region to region basis, but it's odd others have it and you don't. As someone said perhaps they have 4S and you have the 5.

I have alerts on T-Mobile but the other day we had a severe thunderstorm watch that was pushed to me via my Weather Channel app but not the EAS. But then I'm not sure if it alerts to weather watches or just warnings.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I've heard that it's also region to region basis, but it's odd others have it and you don't. As someone said perhaps they have 4S and you have the 5.

I have alerts on T-Mobile but the other day we had a severe thunderstorm watch that was pushed to me via my Weather Channel app but not the EAS. But then I'm not sure if it alerts to weather watches or just warnings.

My buddies do have the 4S on Verizon as opposed to the 5 as I have :(.
At least now I know that it isn't a bug, but a glitch or a service I don't get. Thanks :)

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Yes and no. All iPhones should come preinstalled with an option under the notification settings in the settings app, assuming you are running iOS 6. Apparently some carriers allow this and others don't >_>, haha.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I had to turn off the amber alerts on my 4S Saturday night. There was an amber alert where some guy took his kid from his wife and left. In four hours, I got about six alerts. Went to work at 5 and by 10PM, had gotten about 10 more alerts, 3 of them within 15 minutes. I had enough and had no choice but to turn them off.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i get the alerts on my iphone 5, but my wife on an iphone 4 doesnt get them. and she has them turned on too. kinda strange, and ive been looking for a fix as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.